PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with Cora's decision?

kitekrazy
08-07-2004, 03:06 PM
I find more people believe this was the right thing to do.
I can't figure this out when a guy has the ball in the infield and Cora sends a guy from 2nd to home. USA Today thinks Cora is the worst 3rd base coach in the majors. I'm sure it was because of dumb moves like that.

With a move like that you remove the possibility of a passed ball, base hit, 2 walks. The play wasn't even close.

I could see Pete Rose making a decision like this if he were betting the Sox to lose.

This move was nothing but stupid, stupid, stupid. Even if it worked I would call it luck.

dcb33
08-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Why not wave Harris around? Valentin was on deck and would've struck out anyway...

Jjav829
08-07-2004, 03:23 PM
It's tough. Sure the result of the decision was bad, but what was Cora thinking? He probably saw the ball go off Wickman's glove and immediately thought Belliard was going to try to force a throw to 1st. It's a split second decision and I'm sure he probably figured that Belliard would try to force the play, thus giving Willie the time. By the time he saw Belliard fake the throw to 1st and throw home it was way too late.

Cora has been fine for the most part this year. This is probably only the second questionable call he has made.

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 03:35 PM
I'll say this much: at least Willie slid. I can think of a number of players on this team who don't know how to slide into home.

:hurt

"Hi, guys!"

duke of dorwood
08-07-2004, 03:42 PM
It was a good decision-wish there was a film of how he rouded third-Harris just isnt a good baserunner

soxnut
08-07-2004, 03:42 PM
I don't have any problem with the decision to send him home. The guy has to make a good throw to home from the postion he was at. It was aggressive baserunning and I like it. More times than not, the 2nd basemen is going to try for the force out in that situation, which was first base. Unfortunately--kudos to Belliard for his effort.:(:

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 03:43 PM
It was a good decision-wish there was a film of how he rouded third-Harris just isnt a good baserunner
I checked the highlights page at MLB.com. They didn't show anything, either. All I saw was Belliard faking the throw to first, and then his throw that nailed Harris at the plate.

DVsoxfan
08-07-2004, 03:45 PM
It wasnt Harris' fault, it wasnt Cora's fault. It was a great play by Belliard. He watched the whole thing develop. He watched Willie even before he made the fake throw to 1st. He made a smart play and there's not much else to be said. Lets beat them today because Minn. already won.

dickallen15
08-07-2004, 03:59 PM
He was out by 30-40 feet and would have been more in Belliard hadn't taken his time.(Which was the correct thing to do) It was really a dumb move, he had absolutely no chance to make it. Belliard didn't fake the throw to first, he just realized he had no chance to get Borchard, so he didn't make the throw.

Gimm
08-07-2004, 03:59 PM
It wasnt Harris' fault, it wasnt Cora's fault. It was a great play by Belliard. He watched the whole thing develop. He watched Willie even before he made the fake throw to 1st. He made a smart play and there's not much else to be said. Lets beat them today because Minn. already won.
Amen.

I've seen Valentin score from 2nd on a infield/bunt single multiple times - and he is much older and slower than Willie.

If you see the replay, he was out but it took a great route to the recochet way from the outfield and a good throw by Belliard as well as a quick tag by the catcher to get Willie out. I guarantee you that half the time, he is safe on the similar play. This time however, it wasn't meant to be. The gamble didn't pay off.

And that whole thing about Cora being the worst 3rd base coach is BS. I've watched him closely and he is definately better than Wavin' Wally or Bruce Kimm.

I_Liked_Manuel
08-07-2004, 04:03 PM
i thought it was a great call by cora. 75% of the time the 2b tries to force a throw to first, and if that happened willie scores and everybody calls cora brilliant. we need a spark, cora was trying to give us one.

DVsoxfan
08-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Amen.

I've seen Valentin score from 2nd on a infield/bunt single multiple times - and he is much older and slower than Willie.

If you see the replay, he was out but it took a great route to the recochet way from the outfield and a good throw by Belliard as well as a quick tag by the catcher to get Willie out. I guarantee you that half the time, he is safe on the similar play. This time however, it wasn't meant to be. The gamble didn't pay off.

And that whole thing about Cora being the worst 3rd base coach is BS. I've watched him closely and he is definately better than Wavin' Wally or Bruce Kimm.Exactly, that's the first time that we've ever blamed on a loss Joey Cora. As far as I recall that is the only questionable call he has made. I like his agressiveness. How many runs have we scored this year because of his agressiveness. A lot, and we certainly haven't lost any games because of him. Last night wasnt his fault. Ozzie said that he'd have made the same call and he was one of the best 3rd base coaches in the NL last year. In fact, Ozzie was probably a key factor in the Marlin's WS run. I think he knows what he's talking about. Lets cut this crap about Joey Cora being the worst 3rd base coach in the league right now.

kitekrazy
08-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Sounds like a contradiction. Good decision-bad base running.

CallMeNuts
08-07-2004, 04:09 PM
I've been wondering about Cora for a couple of weeks now. Seems to me he's gotten more aggressive since Thomas & Ordonez are both out of the line-up. Against Detroit, he sent Konerko home to try and score on a medium-deep fly ball to Higginson in right. Konerko out by a mile. (This was a couple of games after Higginson showed off his arm with an incredible throw from the right field corner to third to nail somebody.) There's aggressive, and then there is dumb. I think he's slipped over the line recently.

ChiSoxBobette
08-08-2004, 09:42 AM
I find more people believe this was the right thing to do.
I can't figure this out when a guy has the ball in the infield and Cora sends a guy from 2nd to home. USA Today thinks Cora is the worst 3rd base coach in the majors. I'm sure it was because of dumb moves like that.

With a move like that you remove the possibility of a passed ball, base hit, 2 walks. The play wasn't even close.

I could see Pete Rose making a decision like this if he were betting the Sox to lose.

This move was nothing but stupid, stupid, stupid. Even if it worked I would call it luck.
Cora took a chance , the way we're playing you have to do something, as far as the USA today saying Joey is the worst 3rd base coach they're full of crap why don't they go look at thier favorite teams 3rd base coach on the northside that idiot is almost always saying he's sorry for some bonehead move he's made. Joey has done a pretty good job at 3rd base this year and , although I did'nt see the play, yesterday at the game I asked a couple of people who were at that game about the play and they thought Harris slowed down I don't know if that is true but I could see that happening because Harris even with all that speed always seems to hesitate whether its making a throw on the cutoff or running the bases the guy has very little confidence in himself.

owensmouth
08-08-2004, 11:08 AM
USA Today thinks Cora is the worst 3rd base coach in the majors.
Cora was trying to force the issue, hoping that they throw would be less than accurate. It was a risk, but would you have written this if the throw had been offline? I doubt it.

What USA Today thinks ranks about dead last in my opinion. The Cubune has far more knowledgeable writers. (Of course, opinions are like ********, everybodies got one).

Fungo
08-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Cora has been fine for the most part this year. This is probably only the second questionable call he has made.
I agree, Cora has done an outstanding job IMO. Very few mistakes from him this year. Joey Cora is the least of our problems.

sendimjoey
08-08-2004, 12:58 PM
I don't think you take that risk. I know everyone's so down on Valentin, but I sure wanted to see him up there against Wickman with runners on first and third. Maybe Cora should have gone way down the line, waving Harris around but still having the chance to stop him once Belliard didn't throw to first, but that could have resulted in a rundown.

When I saw Belliard looking to throw home, I got that all-too-familiar sinking feeling. :(:

Edit: Ooops, forgot to say that I think Cora has done a good job this year -- USA Today is way off-base.

Chrisaway
08-08-2004, 02:19 PM
When you're losing like the Sox are, you gotta take chances. Belliard just made a good play. Granted im still fumed.