PDA

View Full Version : 8/7 The Best Quotes

Lip Man 1
08-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Some very interesting comments and quotes in the newspapers today.

"Guys are kind of going back to when Jerry (Manuel) was here. We get down early in the game, and we have no chance to come back." -- Mark Buehrle to Nathaniel Whalen / Daily Southtown.

"Right now, I'm really disappointed about him. It's the at-bats he has. I think he's not ready. I've seen him struggle, and it's a mental thing. You have to prepare yourself to play the game every day. It's easy when things are going well to play this game; it's pretty hard for a guy when not doing well. When you see a guy take the same approach to the plate day in and day out, every pitch, the same swing every pitch ... You have to adjust every pitch, and I don't see that with him right now. Fastball, same swing; slider, same swing." -- Ozzie Guillen on Joe Crede to Nathaniel Whalen / Daily Southtown

"One of the things that's missing is the spirit. I've never questioned the effort of these guys. But the problem is when you work extra on bunting and hitting, you have to take that into the game and push the envelope. It's just not getting done." -- Ken Williams to Tony Ginnetti / Sun-Times

What this all means folks is that the s@#$ is starting to hit the fan.

Lip

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 02:40 PM
I just realized something. Although the injuries to Frank and Maggs have ruined this season, I have to wonder if they will ultimately turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Think about it. Both Frank and Maggs are great hitters, so much so that they often cover up the weaknesses and shortcomings of the other players on the team. Let me give you an example:

Imagine that Joe Crede is at the plate with the bases loaded. There are no outs. He has a 3-0 count. The pitcher hasn't thrown anything anywhere near the plate, suggesting that he doesn't have his control during this particular game. Instead of just trying to take what the pitcher gives him, Crede tries to hit a grand slam on the next pitch. He grounds into 1-2-3 double-play, erasing the runner from third, effectively ending the Sox threat. The Sox end up not scoring becuase of his mistake.

The next inning, Frank Thomas comes to the plate with the bases loaded. He, too has a 3-0 count. However, Frank is more patient than Crede, and he also knows enough not to swing for the fences during every at-bat. Desperate to record an out, the pitcher gives into Frank and throws a fastball on the inner-half of the plate. Instead of trying to crush the ball, Frank just thinks about hitting it into the left-center field gap. That ends up being just what happens, with one small change- the ball keeps carrying until it reaches the seats. As a result, the Sox now have the four runs they were supposed to get, and Crede's mistake is, more or less, forgotten.

Contrast that with what's happened since Frank and Maggs have been out. Now, when Crede fails to get the job done, there is Thomas or Ordonez around to fix things. Instead, the Sox end up scoring no runs, making it that much easier for teams to beat them.

Getting back to my original point, it is possible that because Frank and Maggs aren't around that Sox managment will finally see that this team has too many holes, and that as currently constructed, is not good enough to compete for a championship. Maybe this will finally convince Reinsdorf to actually spend money and lock up another reliable hitter, especially because Maggs is not likely to return for 2005.

Then again, maybe that last paragraph should have been in deep pink. I guess we'll find out.

owensmouth
08-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Pipe dreams. In the first half season the Sox had no grand slams. Frank would've taken ball four

illinibk
08-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Pipe dreams. In the first half season the Sox had no grand slams. Frank would've taken ball four
Yeah, because he wouldn't have gotten anything to hit, so they can get to Carlos Lee because he would do the ame thing as was said about Crede.

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Yeah, because he wouldn't have gotten anything to hit, so they can get to Carlos Lee because he would do the ame thing as was said about Crede.
Either way, I think I made my point. If it takes injuries to Frank and Maggs to convince management that this team just doesn't have enough quality, then I'm all for it. If I never see Willie Harris, Joe Crede, and Juan Uribe together in the lineup again, it will be too soon.

WinningUgly!
08-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Imagine that Joe Crede is at the plate with the bases loaded. There are no outs. He has a 3-0 count. The pitcher hasn't thrown anything anywhere near the plate, suggesting that he doesn't have his control during this particular game. Instead of just trying to take what the pitcher gives him, Crede tries to hit a grand slam on the next pitch. He grounds into 1-2-3 double-play, erasing the runner from third, effectively ending the Sox threat. The Sox end up not scoring becuase of his mistake.

If Joe Crede swings with a basesloaded, 3-0 count, he wouldn't be allowed to finish the game... Ozzie would be fired on the spot & Kenny Williams would curl up into the fetal position for the rest of the season.
:)

Win1ForMe
08-07-2004, 03:21 PM
If Joe Crede swings with a basesloaded, 3-0 count, he wouldn't be allowed to finish the game... Ozzie would be fired on the spot & Kenny Williams would curl up into the fetal position for the rest of the season.
:)Actually he'd probably walk back to the dugout with his head down, without anyone saying a word. Then during his next AB, the lesson would be all but forgotten and he'd try to jerk some more pitches into the LF bleachers. The sad part is I could swear I've seen that happen before.
:(:

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Actually he'd probably walk back to the dugout with his head down, without anyone saying a word. Then during his next AB, the lesson would be all but forgotten and he'd try to jerk some more pitches into the LF bleachers. The sad part is I could swear I've seen that happen before.
:(:
Joe Crede's at-bats are a real-life example of the movie Groundhog Day. Every one is the same, no matter how hard anyone tries to change things.

Brian26
08-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Joe Crede's at-bats are a real-life example of the movie Groundhog Day. Every one is the same, no matter how hard anyone tries to change things.
It was only two weeks ago tonight that Crede hit that homer to win the game against Detroit, we had a half game lead and were on top of the world. Man.

Kuzman
08-07-2004, 11:35 PM
It was only two weeks ago tonight that Crede hit that homer to win the game against Detroit, we had a half game lead and were on top of the world. Man.
ya and now look at us, Crede is Benched and were in third..

To quote Major League "Bring in the pooper scooper!"

LASOXFAN
08-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Either way, I think I made my point. If it takes injuries to Frank and Maggs to convince management that this team just doesn't have enough quality, then I'm all for it. If I never see Willie Harris, Joe Crede, and Juan Uribe together in the lineup again, it will be too soon.
I think this is a valid point with the exception of Uribe. I think he's got a big upside and wouldn't be surprised at all to see him have a great August and September. That leaves a bad June and July I know, but he's young. Crede's had his chance to shine. He ain't got it.