PDA

View Full Version : KW Serious about Winning Now?!

beck72
08-07-2004, 08:43 AM
I believe KW is serious about winning this year. Yet anything short of a World series win, it's painfully obvious that this team needs a serious makeover. [Guys like PK and Lee should be traded for young, major league ready talent; Jose not resigned; Maggs maybe at a reduced rate, but I'd rather pay a Beltran or a Renteria similar money instead as they would fill bigger holes and a key middle position] Yet few position players would be around--Frank, Aaron, Crede, Willie, Uribe, Everett] Not exactly a top offensive lineup. So the Sox would have to go the FA route, [the Sox might not get the guy they want, a lot of risks involved in this] or the trade route.

Yet it's too soon to write off this year. With the Sox pitching in decent shape [Diaz shoud keep the Sox in games for the injured SS], the sox still have a shot at the playoffs even with this streaky, inconsistent offense. Robbie may help some. But not enough to make a huge difference. So what move could be the most serious move yet for KW to prove he's not writing off this year?

If Larry Walker can clear waivers, and Col pay $7 + mill of his 2005 $12.5 salary, a similar deal for Jason Kendall can and should be made.

No team will take on all of Kendall's remaining $34 mill contract. Yet it's reasonable to believe Pitt could pay 40% of his remaining contract [would get Kendalls salary down to $6.8 mill a yr, signed for 3 more years] With few Sox position players signed long term, and no real leadoff hitters available via free agency, Kendall would be a good fit now and for the future. $6.8 mill a yr for a .300 hitter, with a .390 OBP?! That's a good deal for a team in need of just these type of numbers.

The sox are building the 2005 team around pitching. That means they don't need streaky, power guys [sorry PK, Lee, and Jose]. They need guys who can get on base by any means necessary. That is all Jason Kendall. It would be a move to try and win now. But one also that fits in the long term plan for the sox team to win by manufacturing runs, by winning games 3-2 without relying on a game winning HR to bail them out.

DickAllen72
08-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Walker was traded to the Cardinals. The best chance we have to salvage this season is to roll the dice on Kenny Lofton. If he'll play for us, he can do for this team what he did for the sCrubs last year.

beck72
08-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Walker was traded to the Cardinals. The best chance we have to salvage this season is to roll the dice on Kenny Lofton. If he'll play for us, he can do for this team what he did for the sCrubs last year.I know Walker was traded. I just meant a deal like his for Kendall, where the Sox get Pitt. to pay some of his contract could probably be had. And he'd be locked up for a few years.

I think there's too much bad blood between Lofton and the sox. Plus he's signed for 2005 at like $3 mill a yr.

California Sox
08-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Everyone, especially KW, needs to end the denial. Making the playoffs this year would take a surge of historic proportions from a team, frankly, that is not that good. Who are the good position players on this team with Frank and Maggs out? PK, CLee, Crash, and... The rotation is decent, but not overpowering. The bullpen has a lot holes and Marte looks like his arm is about to fall off. I'm not being super-negative, and I certainly don't enjoy saying this, but KW has to stop giving away players for the Robbie Alomars of the world. This season didn't work out. Time to start thinking of 2005 and beyond. Sad thing is, of course, we won't even have the September fun of watching young guys get some AB's because we traded every logical candidate for that away.:(:

beck72
08-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Everyone, especially KW, needs to end the denial. Making the playoffs this year would take a surge of historic proportions from a team, frankly, that is not that good. Who are the good position players on this team with Frank and Maggs out? PK, CLee, Crash, and... The rotation is decent, but not overpowering. The bullpen has a lot holes and Marte looks like his arm is about to fall off. I'm not being super-negative, and I certainly don't enjoy saying this, but KW has to stop giving away players for the Robbie Alomars of the world. This season didn't work out. Time to start thinking of 2005 and beyond. Sad thing is, of course, we won't even have the September fun of watching young guys get some AB's because we traded every logical candidate for that away.:(:
I don't discount the bad situation the Sox are in. Yet for KW and the coaches to give up, what message would that send to the players? Minn. and the wild card teams aren't that dominating. Even with the terrible month, the Sox aren't completely out of it. Yet getting a player, someone who can get on base, could help now and next year. I think a guy like Kendall would make sense.

Also, getting the Alomars and Everetts of the world for medicore to decent minor leaguers won't hurt the long term make up of the club. KW hasn't been hurt too badly on the minor deals, as most of the minor leaguers haven't made an impact. Only Francisco of the Rangers comes to mind. And miles, but Uribe filled the SS and 2B spot so that's a wash.

DickAllen72
08-07-2004, 01:25 PM
I know Walker was traded. I just meant a deal like his for Kendall, where the Sox get Pitt. to pay some of his contract could probably be had. And he'd be locked up for a few years.

Ooops! Sorry, I misread your post. I had a rough night last night. My bad.

JB98
08-07-2004, 01:50 PM
So, you're saying you aren't going to enjoy watching Borchard get some ABs? :o: