PDA

View Full Version : Walker to the Cardinals?

sendimjoey
08-06-2004, 08:53 PM
The Rocky Mountain News is reporting that Larry Walker has been traded to the St. Louis Cardinals. They did need another outfielder. Wow. How tough are they going to be? I hope this ticks off Cubs fans. :D:

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1853911

Edit: Link added.

OEO Magglio
08-06-2004, 08:54 PM
That offense is scary.

StepsInSC
08-06-2004, 09:51 PM
George Steinbretter has got nothing on the cards.

Rocklive99
08-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Just heard it on the ESPNEWS highlight of the Cards game

Jjav829
08-06-2004, 10:38 PM
That's a really nice pickup for them. Even at 37 and away from Coors, he'll be a nice addition for them. He's better than Ray Lankford, John Mabry, or So Taguchi. I think this solidifies them as far as having the best everyday lineup on the field.

Aidan
08-06-2004, 10:42 PM
That is a sick lineup...

2B Tony Womack
SS Edgar Renteria
1B Albert Pujols
3B Scott Rolen
CF Jim Edmonds
RF Larry Walker
LF Reggie Sanders
C Mike Matheny
P Pitcher

ndgt10
08-07-2004, 03:30 AM
Cardinals get him for just a minor leaguer and 2 PTBNL's? Damn, pretty good deal for them if money is not a problem and apparently it wasn't...

SOXSINCE'70
08-07-2004, 08:15 AM
If KW hadn't made the Sox farm system barren,they might have been able to acquire a Walker or Burnitz type.OOPS,SORRY!! FORGOT TEAM OWNERSHIP!!:reinsy

"YOU WILL SUPPORT MY CORPSEBALL SWINGERS AND EXCEPT MEDIOCRITY YEAR AFTER YEAR,AND YOU'LL LIKE IT!!"

samram
08-07-2004, 09:20 AM
That is a sick lineup...

2B Tony Womack
SS Edgar Renteria
1B Albert Pujols
3B Scott Rolen
CF Jim Edmonds
RF Larry Walker
LF Reggie Sanders
C Mike Matheny
P Pitcher
I'm not sure how well Walker throws anymore, but if he's anywhere near as good as he used to be out there, that outfield is really tough to run on and will cause a lot of runners to have second thoughts about trying to score from second on basehits, which will just make that pitching staff better. The Cards are the best offense/defense combo in the league, hands down. There's really no weak spot- I'm jealous.

JoseCanseco6969
08-07-2004, 09:27 AM
I wish we could have gotten him for 3 minor league scrubs. I read that Colorado is paying like 7.5 million of his salary too for next year. Wouldnt be a bad replacement for Maggs next season either. But glad to see him go to the Cards. Go cards!!!!:D:

Brian26
08-07-2004, 09:47 AM
It's a foregone conclusion that the Cards will be in the playoffs. It looks, unfortunately, like the Cubs will make it too unless the Padres and Giants pull of a hot stretch run. In the meantime, let's hope and pray that Cardinals lineup can keep these northside bastards out of the Series before we get there in 2005.

Gimm
08-07-2004, 11:24 AM
I wish we could have gotten him for 3 minor league scrubs. I read that Colorado is paying like 7.5 million of his salary too for next year. Do we know who the minor leaguers are?

The realization that Cardinals would have been the only team possibly in our way of getting Walker (they have the best record in NL, and I doubt anyone would have tried to claim him in AL before us) irks the **** out of me. Damnit.

JB98
08-07-2004, 12:46 PM
Do we know who the minor leaguers are?

The realization that Cardinals would have been the only team possibly in our way of getting Walker (they have the best record in NL, and I doubt anyone would have tried to claim him in AL before us) irks the **** out of me. Damnit.
Don't be too irked. Walker rejected trades to Texas and San Francisco earlier in the week. I'm sure he would have rejected a trade to the Sox as well. I'm sure the opportunity to play for St. Louis was just too good to pass up. Walker had all the power as to where he was going to play, and he's landed in quite a good situation.

Aidan
08-07-2004, 12:52 PM
That's a really nice pickup for them. Even at 37 and away from Coors, he'll be a nice addition for them. He's better than Ray Lankford, John Mabry, or So Taguchi. I think this solidifies them as far as having the best everyday lineup on the field.The sick thing is that John Mabry is hitting .319 with 7 HR and 27 RBI when he was starting. Adding Larry Walker improves their bench as well.

Supposedly, Colorado is paying $9 million of Walker's remaining contract. So the Cardinals are getting Walker for the rest of this season and all of next season for only $8.5 million. That's a friggin' steal!

RKMeibalane
08-07-2004, 02:19 PM
:reinsy

"If you come to the park, we will find players like Larry Walker."

DSpivack
08-09-2004, 12:45 AM
St. Louis being my second fave team behind the Pale Hose, I'm happy. The best team in MLB just got better.

PaleHoseFan
08-10-2004, 08:15 AM
It's a foregone conclusion that the Cards will be in the playoffs. It looks, unfortunately, like the Cubs will make it too unless the Padres and Giants pull of a hot stretch run. In the meantime, let's hope and pray that Cardinals lineup can keep these northside bastards out of the Series before we get there in 2005.Amen Brother!