PDA

View Full Version : Tired of all the negativity

Hosey22
08-06-2004, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry everyone, but I am so damn tired of listening to sox fans say that this team is done for the season. Believe me, i realize where we're at and what we have to do, but look at things with a little optimism. Two weeks ago tomorrow we were in first by a half a game, with a little luck and most importantly, Better Baseball, we could be back there in a few weeks. I'm looking for the boys to gain at least 3 games before september begins, if we're 3 out for our next series against the twins, we've got a good fighting chance. September is gonna be tough for them, and we could make them pay this year for what happened to us in September last season. We've got plenty of time, and if our players aren't giving up I sure as hell don't want to hear the fans giving up. I've got to listen to enough about the sox being done from cub fans, i don't want to hear it here to. Someone join me and stay optimistic, that's why i come to this site, to know I have others that are still in the same corner i am. Let's get on a roll and show that we're not done, come on sox fans!

OEO Magglio
08-06-2004, 06:54 PM
I'm sorry everyone, but I am so damn tired of listening to sox fans say that this team is done for the season. Believe me, i realize where we're at and what we have to do, but look at things with a little optimism. Two weeks ago tomorrow we were in first by a half a game, with a little luck and most importantly, Better Baseball, we could be back there in a few weeks. I'm looking for the boys to gain at least 3 games before september begins, if we're 3 out for our next series against the twins, we've got a good fighting chance. September is gonna be tough for them, and we could make them pay this year for what happened to us in September last season. We've got plenty of time, and if our players aren't giving up I sure as hell don't want to hear the fans giving up. I've got to listen to enough about the sox being done from cub fans, i don't want to hear it here to. Someone join me and stay optimistic, that's why i come to this site, to know I have others that are still in the same corner i am. Let's get on a roll and show that we're not done, come on sox fans!I'm trying to stay positive. I still think there is some hope, I actually think robbie might spark the sox a bit, I'm probably going to get torn to shreds for this but I think there is a good chance we win 6 of 7 on this homestand.:bandance:

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-06-2004, 06:57 PM
I'm sorry everyone, but I am so damn tired of listening to sox fans say that this team is done for the season. Believe me, i realize where we're at and what we have to do, but look at things with a little optimism. Two weeks ago tomorrow we were in first by a half a game, with a little luck and most importantly, Better Baseball, we could be back there in a few weeks. I'm looking for the boys to gain at least 3 games before september begins, if we're 3 out for our next series against the twins, we've got a good fighting chance. September is gonna be tough for them, and we could make them pay this year for what happened to us in September last season. We've got plenty of time, and if our players aren't giving up I sure as hell don't want to hear the fans giving up. I've got to listen to enough about the sox being done from cub fans, i don't want to hear it here to. Someone join me and stay optimistic, that's why i come to this site, to know I have others that are still in the same corner i am. Let's get on a roll and show that we're not done, come on sox fans!

Took the words out of my mouth

jabrch
08-06-2004, 07:01 PM
I agree - it is not over yet. It don't look good - but it isn't over yet. Some people just enjoy being negative. A lot of folks here fit that description.

samram
08-06-2004, 07:08 PM
I'm trying to stay positive. I still think there is some hope, I actually think robbie might spark the sox a bit, I'm probably going to get torn to shreds for this but I think there is a good chance we win 6 of 7 on this homestand.:bandance:
I think they pretty much have to win 6 of 7. Hopefully, the A's can give the Twins some trouble this weekend (although those lucky bastards don't have to face Zito or Harden), and the Sox can start to gain some ground.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-06-2004, 07:10 PM
I think they pretty much have to win 6 of 7. Hopefully, the A's can give the Twins some trouble this weekend (although those lucky bastards don't have to face Zito or Harden), and the Sox can start to gain some ground.
The only things we have here are hope and luck. I bet anyone 500 dollars that the next time the sox loose there are going to be at least..hm...6 negative posts..and at least 20 "this thread sucks" replies. lol.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Cubfansaredrunk says: "The only things we have here are hope and luck."

Cub fans probably didn't intend this but his post clearly shows why this team hasn't won anything of consequence.

The best teams, the best organizations don't rely on hope and luck to win. They make their own 'luck.' Talent usually defeats 'luck.'

'Luck is the residue of design' - Branch Rickey.

'We're going to build a first class organization' - Eddie Einhorn, January 1981.

Lip

OEO Magglio
08-06-2004, 09:57 PM
I'm trying to stay positive. I still think there is some hope, I actually think robbie might spark the sox a bit, I'm probably going to get torn to shreds for this but I think there is a good chance we win 6 of 7 on this homestand.:bandance:So now we just have to win 6 straight.:redface: Translation-I'm an idiot.

doublem23
08-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Thank you. The boards have been incredibly uninteresting the last few days with the millions of doom and gloom threads. Even if the season is over, may as well try and enjoy ourselves.

And of course, no one can post anything about positivity without Lip showing up and whining. :rolleyes:

wdelaney72
08-06-2004, 09:59 PM
You're obviously not paying attention. This team is done.

Whitesox029
08-06-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm sorry everyone, but I am so damn tired of listening to sox fans say that this team is done for the season. Believe me, i realize where we're at and what we have to do, but look at things with a little optimism. Two weeks ago tomorrow we were in first by a half a game, with a little luck and most importantly, Better Baseball, we could be back there in a few weeks. I'm looking for the boys to gain at least 3 games before september begins, if we're 3 out for our next series against the twins, we've got a good fighting chance. September is gonna be tough for them, and we could make them pay this year for what happened to us in September last season. We've got plenty of time, and if our players aren't giving up I sure as hell don't want to hear the fans giving up. I've got to listen to enough about the sox being done from cub fans, i don't want to hear it here to. Someone join me and stay optimistic, that's why i come to this site, to know I have others that are still in the same corner i am. Let's get on a roll and show that we're not done, come on sox fans!I'm sorry. Maybe I would have thought about considering this somewhat after winning game 4 in detroit and game 1 in KC. After the 7 game skid it looked like we'd be coming right back as you had said we would. The last three games have been the final three nails in the coffin. I just don't understand how you could be optimistic anymore. There are no bright spots on this ballclub bright enough to bring us back. Oh yes, we're physically and mathematically capable of making a comeback, but there is no intensity, no mental concentration, no confidence. It isn't the fan's job to be optimistic. A fan's optimism does nothing for the team as we saw when Minnesota swept us in front of three straight 30,000+ crowds. Don't waste your time. The players are beyond anything that could restore their faith in themselves and their teammates. The only thing that matters is what goes on in the players' minds, and right now they're on a train to their collective living room to watch the playoffs from there. There is no reason to be optimistic. None at all. It will only break your heart.

DannyCaterFan
08-06-2004, 10:30 PM
:whiner: I'm sorry, but the season is over if you are expecting a playoff spot. The way this team is constructed right now the Sox will be hard pressed to finish ahead of Cleveland. Be honest with yourself and look at this lineup. What chance do they have? I want them to win as bad as anyone, but no way is this a playoff team. I will continue to watch them though and attend games cause i am a true fan, but I am also realistic. The season ended when Frank and Maggs went down.

JB98
08-06-2004, 10:34 PM
I'm sorry. Maybe I would have thought about considering this somewhat after winning game 4 in detroit and game 1 in KC. After the 7 game skid it looked like we'd be coming right back as you had said we would. The last three games have been the final three nails in the coffin. I just don't understand how you could be optimistic anymore. There are no bright spots on this ballclub bright enough to bring us back. Oh yes, we're physically and mathematically capable of making a comeback, but there is no intensity, no mental concentration, no confidence. It isn't the fan's job to be optimistic. A fan's optimism does nothing for the team as we saw when Minnesota swept us in front of three straight 30,000+ crowds. Don't waste your time. The players are beyond anything that could restore their faith in themselves and their teammates. The only thing that matters is what goes on in the players' minds, and right now they're on a train to their collective living room to watch the playoffs from there. There is no reason to be optimistic. None at all. It will only break your heart.

I'd like to be optimistic. Honestly, I would. But if the players don't believe, then why should I? The third game of the Twins series seemed to suck all the life out of the team. There seems to be no confidence in the Sox dugout at all, and I don't have any confidence either. When Buerhle gave up the 3-run HR tonight, I declared the game over. Sadly, I couldn't have been more right.

kitekrazy
08-06-2004, 10:50 PM
I'm sorry. Maybe I would have thought about considering this somewhat after winning game 4 in detroit and game 1 in KC. After the 7 game skid it looked like we'd be coming right back as you had said we would. The last three games have been the final three nails in the coffin. I just don't understand how you could be optimistic anymore. There are no bright spots on this ballclub bright enough to bring us back. Oh yes, we're physically and mathematically capable of making a comeback, but there is no intensity, no mental concentration, no confidence. It isn't the fan's job to be optimistic. A fan's optimism does nothing for the team as we saw when Minnesota swept us in front of three straight 30,000+ crowds. Don't waste your time. The players are beyond anything that could restore their faith in themselves and their teammates. The only thing that matters is what goes on in the players' minds, and right now they're on a train to their collective living room to watch the playoffs from there. There is no reason to be optimistic. None at all. It will only break your heart.
Excellent post. There's nothing to be positive about. It's like reading the same book over again just hoping the ending will be different.

DickAllen72
08-06-2004, 11:23 PM
We're one player away from jumping right back into it, but time is running out fast. That one player is Kenny lofton.

Granted it's a gamble, but Lofton is the kind of player that has been known to ignite teams offenses down the stretch run. We have everything to gain and nothing to lose by taking a shot with Lofton.

gosox3072
08-07-2004, 05:15 PM
We're one player away from jumping right back into it, but time is running out fast. That one player is Kenny lofton.

Granted it's a gamble, but Lofton is the kind of player that has been known to ignite teams offenses down the stretch run. We have everything to gain and nothing to lose by taking a shot with Lofton.
Kenny Lofton is the answer to our problems?!?!?! UM OK!

This sox team has so many holes in it that we need much more than one guy. Yes 2 weeks ago we were all positive and in 1st place, but we do need to face the facts.....this sox team without frank or maggs is terrible offensively.

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-07-2004, 05:24 PM
I'm sorry everyone, but I am so damn tired of listening to sox fans say that this team is done for the season. Believe me, i realize where we're at and what we have to do, but look at things with a little optimism. Two weeks ago tomorrow we were in first by a half a game, with a little luck and most importantly, Better Baseball, we could be back there in a few weeks. I'm looking for the boys to gain at least 3 games before september begins, if we're 3 out for our next series against the twins, we've got a good fighting chance. September is gonna be tough for them, and we could make them pay this year for what happened to us in September last season. We've got plenty of time, and if our players aren't giving up I sure as hell don't want to hear the fans giving up. I've got to listen to enough about the sox being done from cub fans, i don't want to hear it here to. Someone join me and stay optimistic, that's why i come to this site, to know I have others that are still in the same corner i am. Let's get on a roll and show that we're not done, come on sox fans!Sorry but you're :kukoo:

he_gone_89
08-07-2004, 05:24 PM
he's right,we still have a shot.A famous man once said that we got to keep our head up. If we arn't playing baseball past October 3rd,Then we can be negative and we can all watch the bears play not to lose.

Gimm
08-07-2004, 05:44 PM
.Since we're 6 behind, I am afraid Lofton and Robbie alone are not quite enough no matter how valuable they can be at the top of the order. This is where Larry Walker in RF and in the middle of the line-up would have greatly helped the matters.

I guess Sox are gonna have to settle for Cliff Floyd and hope he gives them the same production he gave Boston down the stretch in 2002. Can he even play RF at this point?

Mike Cameron is finally starting to put up big-time power numbers after a horrible season-long slump - even as bad as he's been this year, his numbers are supringly impressive away from Shea. He still plays very good D, steals bases and makes only about 4 Mill this year. Hell, if he can get back to crushing lefties as he's always done (only hitting .210 this year) AND you put him at USCF, he'll put up huge numbers and be a hell of a bargain.

So I would go with Lofton and Floyd/Cameron. If the moves misfire, Sox miss playoffs by 12 games. If the moves work, they win the division by 5+. What do we have to lose at this point? Other than a few more mid-level prospects...

balboner
08-07-2004, 06:50 PM
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but Lofton hated playing for the Sox, and rumor is that the rest of the team disliked him. Last year, Lofton said that he felt weird playing well for the Sox cause he grew up a Cubs fan.

Also, the reason for all the pessimism is that this team is just flat out not good. Way too many easy outs, and the talent level is not close to that of the Indians or Twins. With the Indians having a healthy Wickman back, and an impressive Howry, I don't see how they wont pass this current Sox team in the standings.

TornLabrum
08-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but Lofton hated playing for the Sox, and rumor is that the rest of the team disliked him. Last year, Lofton said that he felt weird playing well for the Sox cause he grew up a Cubs fan.

Also, the reason for all the pessimism is that this team is just flat out not good. Way too many easy outs, and the talent level is not close to that of the Indians or Twins. With the Indians having a healthy Wickman back, and an impressive Howry, I don't see how they wont pass this current Sox team in the standings.
In addition to what you said, he also had a confrontation with Kenny Williams last year not long before he was traded.

AnkleSox
08-07-2004, 10:14 PM
I don't think its negative to say that the Sox could rebuild and become good in a few years from now.....

When that's positive thinking, you know its time for some :gulp:

hsnterprize
08-07-2004, 10:29 PM
I'm sorry everyone, but I am so damn tired of listening to sox fans say that this team is done for the season. Believe me, i realize where we're at and what we have to do, but look at things with a little optimism. Two weeks ago tomorrow we were in first by a half a game, with a little luck and most importantly, Better Baseball, we could be back there in a few weeks. I'm looking for the boys to gain at least 3 games before september begins, if we're 3 out for our next series against the twins, we've got a good fighting chance. September is gonna be tough for them, and we could make them pay this year for what happened to us in September last season. We've got plenty of time, and if our players aren't giving up I sure as hell don't want to hear the fans giving up. I've got to listen to enough about the sox being done from cub fans, i don't want to hear it here to. Someone join me and stay optimistic, that's why i come to this site, to know I have others that are still in the same corner i am. Let's get on a roll and show that we're not done, come on sox fans!Hey Hosey...believe me...I'd LOVE to be as optimistic as you are at this moment, but this is getting ridiculous. I mean...the Sox finally look like they're about to break out of their slide somewhat, and look what happens? Burke might as well have told Matt Lawton what Shingo was throwing because the second Lawton made contact with that 2-0 pitch, he knew it was out. And in that split second after he hit the ball, I knew it was out, too.

Hate to rain on your parade, Hosey. But as of now, I'll believe the Sox can win when the Sox win. And what's worse...guess which team from the North side of the city is getting a lot of press today? Gee...I wonder who that might be? Anyway, if the Sox can somehow pull a rabbit out of its collective hat and win this division, I'll be one of the first people to acknowledge you being right all along. However, it's hard to see that when you're in 3rd place after being picked to finish first. Not to mention, unlike that north side team, the Sox DON'T have a Wildcard care to fall back on, either.

On a serious note...congrats to Maddux for winning his 300th. Look...I don't care what uniform the guy's wearing...300 wins in today's baseball world is pretty hard to come by, so I'll give the Mad Dog credit. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: He deserves it, and the best to him...his team...that's a different story. But at least he's the more repsectable one on that squad.

LASOXFAN
08-07-2004, 10:38 PM
seems like every team has a run in them at some point in the season. JM kept waiting for it, certain the Sox would go on a tear the last two years. Never happened.

Ozzie was hired to keep the clubouse loose. That's easy when you're in contention. What about now when all looks lost and it's only the first week of August?

Could the Sox rip off 12 in a row and get back within striking distance? Most certainly. Uribe might be getting his mojo back. He and Robbie could spark the top of the order.

Can Lee, Everett and Konerko get consistent and start driving them in? Of course, and I'm not talking about 3-run homers, I'm talking singles and gappers.

Can Contreras, Buehrle and Garcia make for a fearsome threesome? Sure, they've got the talent.

So I guess it comes back to Ozzie...can he lead them on this path or will they ignore him and believe that they are indeed as bad as they look right now?

Anything's possible. And it's still the first week of August. :cool:

Whitesox029
08-08-2004, 12:11 AM
he's right,we still have a shot.A famous man once said that we got to keep our head up. If we arn't playing baseball past October 3rd,Then we can be negative and we can all watch the bears play not to lose.Again, you keeping your head up is not going to help the team unless you happen to be one of the players. If you're merely a fan, your optimism won't do diddly squat for the team, so don't waste it.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2004, 01:31 AM
HSN:

I don't know a lot of folks (except perhaps some fans) who thought this was a first place team. Most of the media that I saw, heard and read pegged them for second or third.

Lip

LASOXFAN
08-08-2004, 01:55 AM
HSN:

I don't know a lot of folks (except perhaps some fans) who thought this was a first place team. Most of the media that I saw, heard and read pegged them for second or third.

Lip
ah...the sacred minds of baseball. And tell me something Lip, where did these geniuses have the Marlins finishing last year? Or the Angels in 2002?

You forget one of the truths of the game...anything can happen.

Lip Man 1
08-08-2004, 02:03 AM
LA:

Anything can happen...and history shows it always happens to the White Sox.

Lip

the_valenstache
08-08-2004, 03:56 AM
This post (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38493) had some refreshing moments of optimism. Well, for a couple seconds... :D: Thanks to the poignant phrasings of idseer, I've stopped wasting my time with enjoying baseball altogether! :D: :rolleyes: :tongue:

gosox41
08-08-2004, 08:03 AM
However, it's hard to see that when you're in 3rd place after being picked to finish first. Not to mention, unlike that north side team, the Sox DON'T have a Wildcard care to fall back on, either.

Outside of a some blindly optimistic fans here, I don't recall too many media people picking the Sox to be in first place this season. And the're are blindly optimistic fans of every team no matter how bad they are so that doesn't count for all that much.

Bob

Lip Man 1
08-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Hosey says he's tired of the negativity.

Well Hosey I'm tired of the losing.

Lip

Dan H
08-08-2004, 02:16 PM
ah...the sacred minds of baseball. And tell me something Lip, where did these geniuses have the Marlins finishing last year? Or the Angels in 2002?

You forget one of the truths of the game...anything can happen.

I am not impressed with the comparisons to the Marlins or Angels. Saying anything can happen means little also. The truth is this team has done little since clinching the division in 2000. Three playoff losses and almost four seasons later, the team is still struggling. I will believe anything can happen when I see a winning streak of seven or more.

TornLabrum
08-08-2004, 03:21 PM
I am not impressed with the comparisons to the Marlins or Angels. Saying anything can happen means little also. The truth is this team has done little since clinching the division in 2000. Three playoff losses and almost four seasons later, the team is still struggling. I will believe anything can happen when I see a winning streak of seven or more.
Dan, I think you give them too much credit. They haven't done much of anything since the 2000 All-Star Break. They played little better than .500 ball the second half that year, and they clinched while losing to the Twins.

Hosey22
08-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Well it's good to know that some of you are in the same corner that I am, and for those of you who have given up, I'm not saying that I blame you. Everyday I give up on this team, and then for some unknown reason I have faith in them again. Mostly fueled by my anger in hearing about the cubs and twins and everything. I'm as sick as anyone about the losing, the terrible, Terrible play as of late, and the fact that they look completely devoid of effort sometimes. But i think back to the fact that just two weeks ago we were in first, and maybe with a streak and some luck, two weeks from know we could be close again. In baseball anything can happen at anytime. I just am already senseing another offseason of 'will we make this move?' and 'who can we sign or resign?' and i'm just not ready for that crap again. Two months of Baseball are left. I'm in with this team until we're 3 games out with 2 to go. I'm just looking for others who share my kind of misery.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Dan, I think you give them too much credit. They haven't done much of anything since the 2000 All-Star Break. They played little better than .500 ball the second half that year, and they clinched while losing to the Twins.Well that settles it. The high point of Manuel's six-year term wasn't clinching the '00 division. It was dressing up like a doorman to greet the team bus in Kansas City.
:cool:

:jerry
"And Hyatt still has my resume on file."

he_gone_89
08-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Again, you keeping your head up is not going to help the team unless you happen to be one of the players. If you're merely a fan, your optimism won't do diddly squat for the team, so don't waste it.
i throw a 79 mph knuckleball,so if anyone knows where and when i can contact KW......