PDA

View Full Version : Will Cleveland finish in 2nd place?

oharewx
08-06-2004, 05:57 PM
With the sox hurting for wins, can cleveland pass them up? they have a ton of young talent, but their pitching hasn't been good. somehow they find a way to win. Is cleveland the team of the future in the central?

SoxFan76
08-06-2004, 06:35 PM
With the sox hurting for wins, can cleveland pass them up? they have a ton of young talent, but their pitching hasn't been good. somehow they find a way to win. Is cleveland the team of the future in the central?
They look like a real good team. They also have a few good pitchers to build around. We all know they can sell out the Jake, so a few trades or signings could make them a division contendor again.

Which leads me to my next point.

I sure am jealous of those Indians. They had a real good team throughout the 90s, the players eventually became too expensive or their contracts ran out(Manny, Lofton, Alomar, Thome), so they got rid of them for younger players who could be legitimate major league players in the future. They were at the bottom of the heap in the early 2000's, but now here we are looking out for the Indians. They said they were going to rebuild, and I'll be damned, they did it. Here we are looking at the Sox trying to rebuild since 1994. Something needs to be done. Either the GM, the minor league scouts, whatever. I was never really against KW, mostly because even his bad trades, we could of never predicted they would backfire. Koch was the Rolaids relief man, Colon was Colon, Ritchie, well was Ritchie, he found Damaso and now he is a premier reliever in the league, he got Garcia, he traded away a whiny mediocre pitcher for Contreras, how would KW know Wells was going to get hurt, he got Timo who all the sudden is the Sox best player with RISP, SOOOO basically KW isn't that bad. Who would of thought our two best hitters would be out for the year. But year after year of young guys coming up and not doing ANYTHING is getting frustrating. Watching the Twins bring up Lew Ford, Morneau, ect is also getting frustrating.

Everything this year is frustrating.

MRKARNO
08-06-2004, 07:27 PM
I don't think so. They're a great team, but I see the White Sox finishing about 2-4 games out of first and I dont see the Indians being that close. They have great talent no doubt, but I still see them finishing third.

I also think that this talk about them repeating the late 90's run again is a little premature. A lot of their players are enjoying career years in their late 20's and it's too early to tell whether or not they can keep it up. Is Travis Halfner really good enough to post .320 27 HR 110 RBI seasons year in and year out? Is Victor Martinez really a .300 20 HR 100 RBI guy? Is Jake Westbrook going to perenially post sub 3.50 ERAs? Is Sabathia going to be the best pitcher in the AL over the next 5-10 years? The answer to some of these questions might be yes, but I just dont think that yes will end up being the answer to all of them and unless it is, they aren't going to be a dynasty.

I think they have real good, young talent and could be good for a long time, but division winner good? We'll have to wait and see.

doublem23
08-06-2004, 07:32 PM
No.

Final Division Standings

1) White Sox
2) Twins
3) Tigers
4) Jndjans
12) Royals

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-06-2004, 08:01 PM
No.

Final Division Standings

1) White Sox
2) Twins
3) Tigers
4) Jndjans
12) Royals
Thats a little optimistic.....

Lip Man 1
08-06-2004, 11:18 PM
Yes.

Lip

Huisj
08-06-2004, 11:25 PM
can the sox finish third? can the fend the tigers off? they're only 4 or 5 games behind the sox. not that any of it matters. what's the difference between 2nd, 3rd, or 4th for the sox at this point? i can see how finishing 2nd is big for cleveland as it's a big confidence boost in their rebuilding, and same with finishing third for detroit after being absolutely horrible. however, the sox have nothing to build on really by finishing second. this team must be broken up.

duke of dorwood
08-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Yes, two teams going in opposite directions

Nellie_Fox
08-08-2004, 03:24 AM
I don't think so. They're a great team, but I see the White Sox finishing about 2-4 games out of firstSeriously?

OurBitchinMinny
08-08-2004, 04:18 AM
2nd or 3rd depending on how they detroit do against each other. The sox have 4th place all but locked up. April '05 cant get here soon enough

39thandWallace
08-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Sox are done for the year, this team needs a serious overhaul. Less power and more fundamentally sound double & triple hitters. Also, bullpen and starter help.

Mohoney
08-09-2004, 12:42 AM
No.

Final Division Standings

1) White Sox
2) Twins
3) Tigers
4) Jndjans
12) Royals

You can put it on the board!