PDA

View Full Version : Announcer analysis in the sun times

OurBitchinMinny
08-06-2004, 02:35 PM
They give high marks to the cubs stone and hughes and to rooney of the sox. Most of the stuff they said I agree with. I hate the cubs but you have to acknowledge that steve stone knows his stuff. Not familiar with hughes since im not in chicago anymore and never would listen to a cubs game on the radio. Rooney is by far the best in chicago in my opinion. The guy gives way too much credit to DJ who is awful IMO. He also rips hawk who used to be one of my favorites, but has slipped i think. He is too emotional. I still love some of his signature calls, but I dont know if its age or what but he is not as good as he once was (still way better than carey though). Also said that farmer and rooney are enjoyabe to listen to because they talk baseball and not about ron santos dinner plans or something. All in all i thought it was pretty accurate assessment. I especially loved the chip carey ripping.

sorry...heres the link
http://www.suntimes.com/output/jackson/cst-spt-jax06.html

Whitesox029
08-10-2004, 12:14 PM
They give high marks to the cubs stone and hughes and to rooney of the sox. Most of the stuff they said I agree with. I hate the cubs but you have to acknowledge that steve stone knows his stuff. Not familiar with hughes since im not in chicago anymore and never would listen to a cubs game on the radio. Rooney is by far the best in chicago in my opinion. The guy gives way too much credit to DJ who is awful IMO. He also rips hawk who used to be one of my favorites, but has slipped i think. He is too emotional. I still love some of his signature calls, but I dont know if its age or what but he is not as good as he once was (still way better than carey though). Also said that farmer and rooney are enjoyabe to listen to because they talk baseball and not about ron santos dinner plans or something. All in all i thought it was pretty accurate assessment. I especially loved the chip carey ripping.

sorry...heres the link
http://www.suntimes.com/output/jackson/cst-spt-jax06.html I love this:

"Unlike the Cubs radio team -- which often discuss topics like what Santo had for dinner the previous night -- Rooney and partner Ed Farmer mainly stick to talking baseball. It's refreshing."
In my opinion, Hughes is far and above the best of the Cubs' four announcers. It's really quite amazing how he tolerates having to listen to Santo for 3 hours a day every day, and he is the least annoying of their announcers to listen to when the Cubs are doing well. That of course, is balanced by the fact that Santo is the most annoying one in that situation. And yet Santo's the funniest to hear whine when they're making stupid mistakes. Go figure.
As for the Sox, I'm a bit biased in Hawk's favor since he is the only TV play-by-play man the Sox have had my entire life, in much the same way as a lot of Cub fans like Santo, I'm sorry to say. He's really not that bad though for a Sox fan to listen to because he reflects how we Sox fans are feeling during a tough game, and yet he doesn't cry, whine, or talk about chinese food like Santo. In addition, he is the most knowledgeable and experienced of the Sox's four broadcasters (I believe he's been around major league baseball the longest), and I enjoy listening to his stories of his playing days.
Of the 4 broadcasting teams, Rooney and Farmer have the best chemistry, IMO. They don't get overexcited about things, and they both really know their stuff. Farmer has a tendency to...er...express his adamant opinions on such frivolous topics as national anthems, but I think that's just a slight personality flaw, and Rooney deals with it.
I particulary like this exchange:

Rooney: Hot dogs at the ballpark on Thursdays are just
Farmer: one
Rooney: dollar.