PDA

View Full Version : Quotable KW

RKMeibalane
08-06-2004, 12:21 PM
Here are some great quotes from Ken Williams, taken from the Daily Herald:

"Here's the message to our players,'' Williams said. "Really, the bottom line is winning, still. Frank (Thomas) or no Frank, Magglio (Ordonez) or no Magglio, I expect to win this thing. Look at our schedule and you will see that we control our own fate.''
"We need to stop listening to all the talk about what we have lost and look around at what we have,'' he said. "We still have good pitching. We still have high-average hitters. We have enough speed to manufacture runs. Fans here have been coming out and filling the ballpark. They still believe in us. "So it is time to get over it and it's time to get after it, to a greater degree."

I especially liked this one...

"There have been some things that have really been disturbing to me,'' Williams said. "If I see any more home run swings with 2 strikes, I'm going to throw up. The key to the rest of the season is, how much consistency are we going to bring to the darn table?

"You either want it or you don't. If I sense you don't want it like I do, don't you dare be surprised if you're wearing a Siberian Polar Bear uniform.''

JDP
08-06-2004, 12:22 PM
"If I see any more home run swings with 2 strikes, I'm going to throw up."

He sounds like a pissy teenage girl with that one.

jabrch
08-06-2004, 12:24 PM
Where can I buy a Siberian Polar Bears Jersey with #22 on it?

Fungo
08-06-2004, 12:43 PM

He sounds like a pissy teenage girl with that one.Better than swinging like a teenage girl.

RKMeibalane
08-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Better than swinging like a teenage girl.
:crede

"That's something I know a lot about."

Dadawg_77
08-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Here are some great quotes from Ken Williams, taken from the Daily Herald:

I especially liked this one...
Now, I understand, Kenny is delusional. That would explain a lot of things.

Aidan
08-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Now, I understand, Kenny is delusional. That would explain a lot of things.Why is he delusional? Because he makes trades and puts together a good team and actually expects them to win? Wow, he must be crazy to expect his team to succeed!!!

LASOXFAN
08-06-2004, 01:04 PM

screw that, he sounds just fine to me. It's about damn time someone started saying it besides fans on these boards.

Dadawg_77
08-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Well the team has only three players, over 100AB, with a AVG above .290 and one player whose OBP is above .370. Thus his quote, "We still have high-average hitters," is off base. Also the fact he says we have the speed to manufacture runs, ignores the fact whether or not we have the speed, if guys aren't getting on base it is awfully tough to manufacture runs. Only the Expos have fewer at bat with Runners in Scoring Postion and only the Yankees have a higher OPS with runners in scoring postion. Conclusion, this team can't score not because it fails to "manufacture" run but because it fails to get on base in the first place. A failure to recognize that is either delusional and/or incompetent.

Rocky Soprano
08-06-2004, 01:07 PM
I love Kenny Williams. He is not one to sugarcoat things. No one can say that he is not trying to field a winning team. Its time for some of these players to start pointing those fingers at themselves.

:jon :LTP :manos :crede

the_valenstache
08-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Why is he delusional? Because he makes trades and puts together a good team and actually expects them to win? Wow, he must be crazy to expect his team to succeed!!!

Right on, Aidan. I can't imagine respecting a GM with the mentality of "Whelp, it's August 5th...time to pack it in for the next 4 years."

RKMeibalane
08-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Right on, Aidan. I can't imagine respecting a GM with the mentality of "Whelp, it's August 5th...time to pack it in for the next 4 years."
The problem is that the Sox have an owner who thinks that way, and then uses the fans as his excuse.

Deadguy
08-06-2004, 01:12 PM

He? is a desperate man? who knows he? is under the gun, so he? is trying to pass the blame on to the the players, "who aren't playing the game the right way".

The egotistical and arrogant KW is never at fault.

RKMeibalane
08-06-2004, 01:14 PM
He? is a desperate man? who knows he? is under the gun, so he? is trying to pass the blame on to the the players, "who aren't playing the game the right way".

The egotistical and arrogant KW is never at fault.
I actually don't think KW is to blame for this mess. Yes, he put the team together, but he isn't the one who seems to have packed it in. Williams may be desperate, but at least he is trying to make things work. That's more than I can say for several indivuals currently playing on this wayward team.

:manos :crede :weewillie

"Why are you looking at us?"

Flight #24
08-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Well the team has only three players, over 100AB, with a AVG above .290 and one player whose OBP is above .370. Thus his quote, "We still have high-average hitters," is off base. Also the fact he says we have the speed to manufacture runs, ignores the fact whether or not we have the speed, if guys aren't getting on base it is awfully tough to manufacture runs. Only the Expos have fewer at bat with Runners in Scoring Postion and only the Yankees have a higher OPS with runners in scoring postion. Conclusion, this team can't score not because it fails to "manufacture" run but because it fails to get on base in the first place. A failure to recognize that is either delusional and/or incompetent.
I think that KW isn't looking at a season's stats, but those from the past few weeks. I'd guess that while OBP remains an issue during that period, the OPS-RISP is way down, and the times we score in RISP situations is down as well. That's what he's referring to.

hsnterprize
08-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Well the team has only three players, over 100AB, with a AVG above .290 and one player whose OBP is above .370. Thus his quote, "We still have high-average hitters," is off base. Also the fact he says we have the speed to manufacture runs, ignores the fact whether or not we have the speed, if guys aren't getting on base it is awfully tough to manufacture runs. Only the Expos have fewer at bat with Runners in Scoring Postion and only the Yankees have a higher OPS with runners in scoring postion. Conclusion, this team can't score not because it fails to "manufacture" run but because it fails to get on base in the first place. A failure to recognize that is either delusional and/or incompetent. I don't think Kenny is trying to become Mr. Statistic Man here. The message is pretty simple...even though Frank and Maggs are out with injuries, this team has the capabilities to play way much better than they've been lately. When Ozzie said, "This road trip will define how we play the rest of the year." or something to that effect, and then the team stumbles to a 2-5 trip against teams any team could beat with 1/2 their brain tied behind their backs, that says something...and I don't like what it's saying.

Kenny's saying what I've been saying about this team...it's UNDERPERFORMING, and we Sox fans...let along KW, won't stand for it. Yes, it'll be good to play at home after playing soo poorly on the road and all, but this trip was simply unacceptible, and Kenny Williams had the chutzpa to call his players out on it. He may have put this team together, but he's not failing to lay down bunts in key situations, swinging for the fences everytime he gets to the plate, not executing in the field, etc., etc. The men on the field have to blame themselves for being in this situation. Torii Hunter didn't do this to them...they did it to themselves.

Wealz
08-06-2004, 01:50 PM
*Yawn*. Raise your hand if you're tiring of Kenny's annual "play hard" rant.

Soxzilla
08-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Kenny Williams just said what's on my mind.

And he's right.

I think the thing that capped off my night yesterday was carlos swinging for the fences on a 1-0 count and popping out with the tying run at 1st base.

Yep.

Fan.

Tas.

Tic.

kittle42
08-06-2004, 02:01 PM
The alert level for buffet-table-tossing has just been raised to Orange.

Wealz
08-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Kenny Williams just said what's on my mind.

And he's right.

I think the thing that capped off my night yesterday was carlos swinging for the fences on a 1-0 count and popping out with the tying run at 1st base.

Yep.

Fan.

Tas.

Tic.
I wish Williams brought this kind of anger to the negotiating table maybe we wouldn't be stuck wit Lee @ $7.5M next year.

Wealz
08-06-2004, 02:09 PM
I don't think Kenny is trying to become Mr. Statistic Man here. The message is pretty simple...even though Frank and Maggs are out with injuries, this team has the capabilities to play way much better than they've been lately. When Ozzie said, "This road trip will define how we play the rest of the year." or something to that effect, and then the team stumbles to a 2-5 trip against teams any team could beat with 1/2 their brain tied behind their backs, that says something...and I don't like what it's saying.

Kenny's saying what I've been saying about this team...it's UNDERPERFORMING, and we Sox fans...let along KW, won't stand for it. Yes, it'll be good to play at home after playing soo poorly on the road and all, but this trip was simply unacceptible, and Kenny Williams had the chutzpa to call his players out on it. He may have put this team together, but he's not failing to lay down bunts in key situations, swinging for the fences everytime he gets to the plate, not executing in the field, etc., etc. The men on the field have to blame themselves for being in this situation. Torii Hunter didn't do this to them...they did it to themselves.

I don't know that it's underperforming. What are you basing this on?

gosox41
08-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Why is he delusional? Because he makes trades and puts together a good team and actually expects them to win? Wow, he must be crazy to expect his team to succeed!!!
Why does everyone say he put together a good team. Garcia was a good move. Marte was a great move. Shingo was a good move. Politte was an OK move. The jury is out on Contreras, but right now he is far from great and not so good. If we have to give up a Ryan Sweeney for Roberto Alomar then KW needs to be fired.

While some of his moves has improved some of the pesonnel, overall who is good that is making a significant contribution that KW bought in other then what I mentioned above?

PK
Frank
Magglio
Lee
Valentin
Ordonez
Buehrle
Crede
Garland
Rowand

Thos are all guys that Schu bought in. That's 40% of the roster. And the two we lost to injury are not good, they studs and they hurt the most.

But Uribe, Harris, Gload, Perez, Cotts, Mike Jackson, Schoenweis, Ben Davis, and Burke are all KW. They're not good. Their back up or role players or back of the bullpen pitchers at best. Which one of these guys are going to be the core you want to count on from this list at the beginning of the paragraph.

The core of this team with the exception of Marte, Shingo, and Garcia here before KW became GM.

Give KW credit he has brought in a lot of excellent back ups and some decent relievers and gave up nothing (Singleton, Guerrier, etc). Any day he wants to find a long term solution to the Sox existing problems (some that have been here for 4 years) if fine with me.

Bob

LauraJ14
08-06-2004, 02:16 PM
*Yawn*. Raise your hand if you're tiring of Kenny's annual "play hard" rant.

I am tired of Kenny Williams and cheap-ass ownership that makes us fans have to deal with bargain basement players instead of having a decent payroll so that I will never have to see Schoenweis and Jackson and Gload and Uribe again.

Dadawg_77
08-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Kenny's saying what I've been saying about this team...it's UNDERPERFORMING, and we Sox fans...let along KW, won't stand for it.

Sadly, I don't think the Sox are underpreforming.

OEO Magglio
08-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Why does everyone say he put together a good team. Garcia was a good move. Marte was a great move. Shingo was a good move. Politte was an OK move. The jury is out on Contreras, but right now he is far from great and not so good. If we have to give up a Ryan Sweeney for Roberto Alomar then KW needs to be fired.

While some of his moves has improved some of the pesonnel, overall who is good that is making a significant contribution that KW bought in other then what I mentioned above?

PK
Frank
Magglio
Lee
Valentin
Ordonez
Buehrle
Crede
Garland
Rowand

Thos are all guys that Schu bought in. That's 40% of the roster. And the two we lost to injury are not good, they studs and they hurt the most.

But Uribe, Harris, Gload, Perez, Cotts, Mike Jackson, Schoenweis, Ben Davis, and Burke are all KW. They're not good. Their back up or role players or back of the bullpen pitchers at best. Which one of these guys are going to be the core you want to count on from this list at the beginning of the paragraph.

The core of this team with the exception of Marte, Shingo, and Garcia here before KW became GM.

Give KW credit he has brought in a lot of excellent back ups and some decent relievers and gave up nothing (Singleton (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=409,28012355,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,1), Guerrier, etc). Any day he wants to find a long term solution to the Sox existing problems (some that have been here for 4 years) if fine with me.

BobFirst of all where did Ryan Sweeney come from? Second how is the contreras move not good so far?

wdelaney72
08-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Sorry, but I want the picture of #22 to be the large center of attention.

:jon:crede:manos:LTP
I love Kenny Williams. He is not one to sugarcoat things. No one can say that he is not trying to field a winning team. Its time for some of these players to start pointing those fingers at themselves.

RKMeibalane
08-06-2004, 03:48 PM

PK
Frank
Magglio
Lee
Valentin
Ordonez
Buehrle
Crede
Garland
Rowand

Give KW credit he has brought in a lot of excellent back ups and some decent relievers and gave up nothing (Singleton, Guerrier, etc). Any day he wants to find a long term solution to the Sox existing problems (some that have been here for 4 years) if fine with me.

Bob
Larry Hymes deserves credit for bringing Frank Thomas aboard.

Deadguy
08-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Larry Hymes deserves credit for bringing Frank Thomas aboard.
We can also thank Ed Farmer for using the Orioles' first pick on Ben Mcdonald.

Thomas still gives him hell about that, to this day.

RKMeibalane
08-06-2004, 03:53 PM
We can also thank Ed Farmer for using the Orioles' first pick on Ben Mcdonald.

Thomas still gives him hell about that, to this day.
As I recall, Frank always hit McDonald hard. I guess that's why Farmer doesn't like Frank much.

mdep524
08-06-2004, 04:01 PM
The alert level for buffet-table-tossing has just been raised to Orange.
LOL!!! :rolling: :rolling:

michned
08-06-2004, 04:12 PM
I wish Williams brought this kind of anger to the negotiating table maybe we wouldn't be stuck wit Lee @ $7.5M next year.
I still think that is reasonable for an outfielder with his numbers. I also believe that he will be moved over the winter. CLee can actually get back one or two decent players that will fit into the "new and re-tooled" White Sox next year.

Ed

gosox41
08-06-2004, 04:13 PM
First of all where did Ryan Sweeney come from? Second how is the contreras move not good so far?
I thought I read in another thread that it was possible that the prospect we will give up is Sweeney or that pitcher McCarthy. A lower level top prospect. If I find it I'll paste it on here.

If it's true, what do you think of your KW now?

As for Contreras he is still a huge question mark. If he pitches against the Twins like does against the Red Sox were doomed. People have said he shies away in big games. Of course this year, there aren't many of those left. But the SOx don't need anymore weak minded people on this team.

Bob

Lip Man 1
08-06-2004, 10:08 PM
RK & Laura:

Your comments about ownership have merit. You can't get the depth you need to survive injuries on a modest payroll.

Depth costs money. After the injuries in 2000 you'd think the organization would learn but they never do.

Lip

Flight #24
08-06-2004, 10:13 PM
I thought I read in another thread that it was possible that the prospect we will give up is Sweeney or that pitcher McCarthy. A lower level top prospect. If I find it I'll paste it on here.

If it's true, what do you think of your KW now?

As for Contreras he is still a huge question mark. If he pitches against the Twins like does against the Red Sox were doomed. People have said he shies away in big games. Of course this year, there aren't many of those left. But the SOx don't need anymore weak minded people on this team.

Bob
I haven't seen anything except wild speculation, primarily by KW-haters that any prospect of significance would be involved. The only comments that support that statement are of the genre of "KW's so stupid that I bet the PTBNL is Sweeney", which does not constitute anything at all.