PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Flaunt Suspension Rules?

bigfoot
08-06-2004, 12:01 PM
The Cubs announced today that Carlos Zambrano would end his appeal of a 5-day suspension and start serving retro to Thursday. With an off-day Monday, a switch in rotation with Prior, Zambrano will effectively not miss a start.

~Has the Cubs' manipulation of the suspension/appeal rules made a mockery of the head-hunting rules of MLB?

RKMeibalane
08-06-2004, 12:09 PM
The Cubs announced today that Carlos Zambrano would end his appeal of a 5-day suspension and start serving retro to Thursday. With an off-day Monday, a switch in rotation with Prior, Zambrano will effectively not miss a start.

~Has the Cubs' manipulation of the suspension/appeal rules made a mockery of the head-hunting rules of MLB?
This is the exact reason why I think MLB should suspend starters for more than one start. Because Zambrano was only suspended for one of his starts, it was easy for the Cubs to juggle their rotation so that they wouldn't miss a beat. It has always been my understanding that suspensions were meant to cause a hinderance to the team and player in question, so that he would not misbehave again. Evidently, MLB needs to rethink their policy regarding suspensions of starting pitchers.

amace020
08-06-2004, 12:17 PM
The rules for suspensions are already different with respect to starting pitchers, as infractions are usually a guaranteed 5 games, as opposed to the usual 2-3 game suspension a position player generally receives.

As for a ballclub "weasling" out of a suspension- the Red Sox's David Ortiz plays in all of the so called "big series" while on appeal, then he convienently drops his appeal and serves his sentence against the Twins/Devil Rays/Tigers.

Oh wait- the Red Sox had a stretch where the team faced 4 lefties. What a coincidence! And Ortiz would've probably missed time anyway- imagine that!

The rules are fine the way they are, I guess...

Huisj
08-06-2004, 12:18 PM
this might be a dumb question, but if a guy is suspended, is he still allowed in the dugout?

RKMeibalane
08-06-2004, 12:43 PM
this might be a dumb question, but if a guy is suspended, is he still allowed in the dugout?
I'm not sure, to be honest with you. In the NBA, suspended players cannot be in the building, but I don't remember what the rule is for baseball.

mcfish
08-06-2004, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure, to be honest with you. In the NBA, suspended players cannot be in the building, but I don't remember what the rule is for baseball.So how can you retro a suspension. He didn't play, so what? He was on the active roster for the game. That's a load of crap. The suspension rules in baseball and the length of appeals is absolutely rediculous.

rmusacch
08-06-2004, 01:26 PM

And nothing will be done about it because Bud Lite is the commissioner.

Huisj
08-06-2004, 01:31 PM
And nothing will be done about it because Bud Lite is the commissioner.
when can we trade bud lite for a real "weiser" comminsioner?

StockdaleForVeep
08-06-2004, 02:00 PM

Every ball club does this or attempts to do this when involving a starting pitcher, pedro martinez i believe got suspended last year or year before and dropped his appeal after his start, so he got his normal 5 day rest. It was one of the good latin fireballers, forgive me for not knowing who it was but every club does this.

Hangar18
08-06-2004, 03:08 PM
The Cubs have Long been one of the more Arrogant Franchises for quite some time, endangering their own fans, scalping their own tickets and the like. Theyve skirted and pushed the rules around mostly because baseball HASNT had a commissioner since who-knows-when. Remember, the Cubs were the ones that helped start the campaign to Remove Fay Vincent, simply because they didnt want to do the right thing, and go to the western division and put the Eastern time zoned Reds into the East Division. The Cubs Publicly said "we dont want to lose our fan base" but really, they didnt want to lose the $$$$ they were getting by playing more games in Prime Time. That said, teams
have been abusing that "rule" for a long time, they need to suspend Pitchers LONGER.

SOXSINCE'70
08-06-2004, 03:16 PM
QUOTE=rmusacch]And nothing will be done about it because Bud Lite is the commissioner.[/QUOTE]
The man is a drillrod.Comissioner Gordon on the "Batman" tv series has more authority,AND'S HE'S A FICTIONAL CHARACTER!! Any time you hear someone tell you how good "Pud" Selig's been for the game of baseball,ask them if they want their children to grow up using drugs to enhance their performance."Pud" Lite still thinks steroid testing is a joke,IMHO.:angry: :angry: :angry:

fquaye149
08-06-2004, 07:33 PM
when can we trade bud lite for a real "weiser" comminsioner?
post of the lifetime.

Viva Magglio
08-06-2004, 08:55 PM
The Cubs have Long been one of the more Arrogant Franchises for quite some time, endangering their own fans, scalping their own tickets and the like. Theyve skirted and pushed the rules around mostly because baseball HASNT had a commissioner since who-knows-when. Remember, the Cubs were the ones that helped start the campaign to Remove Fay Vincent, simply because they didnt want to do the right thing, and go to the western division and put the Eastern time zoned Reds into the East Division. The Cubs Publicly said "we dont want to lose our fan base" but really, they didnt want to lose the $$$$ they were getting by playing more games in Prime Time. That said, teams
have been abusing that "rule" for a long time, they need to suspend Pitchers LONGER.In short, Hangar is saying that the Cubs believe their s*** don't stink.

:tool
"Viva, I am deeply disturbed that you would characterize a great franchise in the Chicago Cubs this way. The Cubs do great things such as provide my team, uh, my daughter Wendy's team sellouts when they come to Miller Park."

Rocklive99
08-06-2004, 09:57 PM
They kind of did it with Wood earlier this year in a different way. Wood was suspended 5 games, "served them" but it turned out he was already hurt, and was put on the DL right after. I thought I heard that they were going to make him serve it after he got healthy, but I havent heard a word about it since.

TDog
08-06-2004, 10:21 PM
The problem isn't with the commissioner as much as it is with the basic labor agreement . My understanding is that in the NBA, if a player is suspended, he sits out. NBA players negotiated away the right for due process. The baseball collective bargaining agreement allows for appeal of suspensions. That sounds fair, but it didn't take players and teams long to figure out that the system could be manipulated so that players could take their suspensions at the their convenience. This is a loophole that both labor and management take advantage of, so it isn't going to change.

StillMissOzzie
08-07-2004, 12:47 AM
The problem isn't with the commissioner as much as it is with the basic labor agreement . My understanding is that in the NBA, if a player is suspended, he sits out. NBA players negotiated away the right for due process. The baseball collective bargaining agreement allows for appeal of suspensions. That sounds fair, but it didn't take players and teams long to figure out that the system could be manipulated so that players could take their suspensions at the their convenience. This is a loophole that both labor and management take advantage of, so it isn't going to change.
The sCrUBS aren't doing anything that any other team doesn't do - manipulate the rules to their advantage. It's the rules that need to be stiffened to avoid manipulations such as serving when your team is playing a crummy team. Maybe put a strict time limit on the appeal process, or simply not allowing a player who has appealed to drop their appeal at the team's convenience. I'm sure Bud and his crack staff are working on this even as I type.

SMO

hellenicsoxfan
08-07-2004, 06:35 AM
It takes a ridiculously long time to hear an appeal in MLB, allowing the teams to manipulate. An appeal should be heard withing 24-48 hours and then the suspension served immediately.

chisoxfan79
08-07-2004, 10:17 AM

I remeber Jerry Manuel doing the same thing last year when Bartolo Colon was suspended.

soxwon
08-07-2004, 10:17 AM
WOOD hasnt served his yet from APRIL

this really ticks me off!!

CallMeNuts
08-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Wherever possible, suspensions should be served against the team the offender was playing when he committed the infraction.

mcfish
08-09-2004, 01:33 PM
So how can you retro a suspension. He didn't play, so what? He was on the active roster for the game. That's a load of crap. The suspension rules in baseball and the length of appeals is absolutely rediculous.Rule 4.07
When a manager, player, coach or trainer is ejected from a game, he shall leave the field immediately and take no further part in that game. He shall remain in the club house or change to street clothes and either leave the park or take a seat in the grandstand well removed from the vicinity of his team's bench or bullpen. If a manager, coach or player is under suspension he may not be in the dugout or press box during the course of a game.So it would seem that a team shouldn't be allowed to "retro" a suspension because the player can't be in the dugout during the game. But why should anyone have to follow the rules anymore?

SouthSideRyan
08-10-2004, 10:31 PM
They kind of did it with Wood earlier this year in a different way. Wood was suspended 5 games, "served them" but it turned out he was already hurt, and was put on the DL right after. I thought I heard that they were going to make him serve it after he got healthy, but I havent heard a word about it since.
Wood's appeal is STILL pending.

mcfish
08-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Wood's appeal is STILL pending.According to ESPN 1000 both Wood's and Hawkin's appeals will be heard today. If they lose, they will probably be served this weekend against the Dogers.