PDA

View Full Version : Mets, probably the frontrunners for Maggs

calderon
08-06-2004, 10:57 AM
It looks like the Mets will give Maggs the contract he wants...http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/26298.htm

calderon
08-06-2004, 11:00 AM
I meant FRONTRUNNERS...

DOH!!!!!

Rocky Soprano
08-06-2004, 11:01 AM
I dont see where it says that they will give him what he wants.

fledgedrallycap
08-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Nothing new there, the Mets have been linked to Maggs all year long.

calderon
08-06-2004, 11:02 AM
It doesn't say that, Im just reading between the lines

SoxxoS
08-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Bye. I know there are a lot of Maggs lovers, but if I were JR I wouldn't think about giving him anywhere near 12 million per. With this knee problem that could be chronic, I would have a tough time giving him 8 or 9. KW needs to make the assessment of if Brian Anderson is going to be ready next year, and go from there. A CLee-Anderson-Rowand outfield should be solid...

Then again, I thought a CLee-Borchard-Reed was going to be All-World.

hawkeyesrule
08-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Look at the source. That paper makes things up and then cites "unnamed sources"...

mantis1212
08-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Anyone but the Cubs- Please

jabrch
08-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Bye Magglio!

Can we use the extra money to get one more front of the rotation starter like Pavano or Clement?

Mickster
08-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Bye Magglio!

Can we use the extra money to get one more front of the rotation starter like Pavano or Clement?
We already did. They are Garcia and Contreras.... :(:

Foulke29
08-06-2004, 12:24 PM
It looks like the Mets will give Maggs the contract he wants...http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/26298.htm
:baylor
What?!? I thought the Cubs forums said we were getting him?

MRKARNO
08-06-2004, 12:47 PM
I second that. Any non-Cubs NL team is fine with me and if it has to be AL, not the AL Central (not that any AL central team has the money to get him anyways....)

kitekrazy
08-06-2004, 01:48 PM
I would believe anything that came from the Enquirer before the NY media.

Jjav829
08-06-2004, 01:52 PM
:baylor
What?!? I thought the Cubs forums said we were getting him?
Heh, Don Baylor is no longer with the Cubs. :smile:

jabrch
08-06-2004, 02:00 PM
We already did. They are Garcia and Contreras.... :(:
Not necesarily - we should still have available money for next year - right?

Lee 8m
Rowand 500K
Everett 4m
PK 9m
Crede 500K
Uribe 1mm
2B?
C - 1mm
Frank - 8mm
TOTAL 32 + 2B

Buehrle 6m
Contreras 6m
Garcia 8m
Garland 3m
TOTAL 23mm

Shingo 2.5m
Marte 1.5m
TOTAL 4m

That's 59mm. Our payroll this year was 66. I'd assume that given 2.25mm attendance, we might see a 70mm payroll. This should leave room for adding one player, right?

Huisj
08-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Bye. I know there are a lot of Maggs lovers, but if I were JR I wouldn't think about giving him anywhere near 12 million per. With this knee problem that could be chronic, I would have a tough time giving him 8 or 9. KW needs to make the assessment of if Brian Anderson is going to be ready next year, and go from there. A CLee-Anderson-Rowand outfield should be solid...

Then again, I thought a CLee-Borchard-Reed was going to be All-World.
heck, there was a time long ago where i thought an Abbott-Cameron-Ordonez outfield would be big.

Flight #24
08-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Not necesarily - we should still have available money for next year - right?

Lee 8m
Rowand 500K
Everett 4m
PK 9m
Crede 500K
Uribe 1mm
2B?
C - 1mm
Frank - 8mm
TOTAL 32 + 2B

Buehrle 6m
Contreras 6m
Garcia 8m
Garland 3m
TOTAL 23mm

Shingo 2.5m
Marte 1.5m
TOTAL 4m

That's 59mm. Our payroll this year was 66. I'd assume that given 2.25mm attendance, we might see a 70mm payroll. This should leave room for adding one player, right?
If those #s are accurate, then your needs are a #4/5 starter (ideally pushing JG to #5), 2 veteran relievers (we'll still have Cotts/Diaz & Adkins), and a 2B along with some depth/bench. You left out Willie Harris too, but I'd rather see him platooning or as a utility IF (or in the minors learning to play with his speed).

Personally, I'd love to see a trade with Baltimore for Hairston. Not sure what he's making, but his speed & OBP without sacrificing D would be perfect for our lineup. Then signing Vizquel (4-5mil) would be perfect. Crede for Hairston and move Uribe to 3B would work for me.

Hairston-Vizquel-Thomas-Lee-Everett-Koney-Rowand-Davis/Burke-Uribe. Solid D and a nice balanced O. Cotts/Diaz is your 5th starter with the other in the pen, and you sign 2 veteran relievers at like 2mil each.

wdelaney72
08-06-2004, 04:13 PM
I want Edgar Renteria at SS next year.

If those #s are accurate, then your needs are a #4/5 starter (ideally pushing JG to #5), 2 veteran relievers (we'll still have Cotts/Diaz & Adkins), and a 2B along with some depth/bench. You left out Willie Harris too, but I'd rather see him platooning or as a utility IF (or in the minors learning to play with his speed).

Personally, I'd love to see a trade with Baltimore for Hairston. Not sure what he's making, but his speed & OBP without sacrificing D would be perfect for our lineup. Then signing Vizquel (4-5mil) would be perfect. Crede for Hairston and move Uribe to 3B would work for me.

Hairston-Vizquel-Thomas-Lee-Everett-Koney-Rowand-Davis/Burke-Uribe. Solid D and a nice balanced O. Cotts/Diaz is your 5th starter with the other in the pen, and you sign 2 veteran relievers at like 2mil each.

Hangar18
08-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Since its going to be Impossible to replace Magglio type numbers ........
Why dont we just Resign the guy, and not rush Anderson .....?

LongLiveFisk
08-06-2004, 04:55 PM
:nandrolone
"No way...I'm de man, de gladiator. I not gonna go nowhere yet."

Flight #24
08-06-2004, 05:17 PM
(sigh)

Because he wants to test the market unless the Sox break the bank for him and give him an equivalent or greater contract to Vlad Guerrero (a much better player).

Now if he'll take less due to the injury, great. But I don't know that I really want to give a long-term, 12-14mil/yr contract to a guy who may have serious long term limitations from arthritis, etc.

I'd say 1-yr / $10mil is about right. Then you trade Lee to baltimore for Hairston and middel relief help (BJ Ryan). Sign another reliever and Catalanotto to platoon with everett in LF.

Cowch44
08-06-2004, 06:39 PM
I want Edgar Renteria at SS next year.
He'll probably want to stay where he is.

Frankfan4life
08-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Why dont we just Resign the guy, and not rush Anderson .....?Thank you for some rational thought here. Anderson is nothing more than a prospect at this time. We need to have a good look at him in the majors in order to see if he can perform in the big leagues. If we give up Maggs and Anderson turns out to be another Borchard, then say hello to second or third place again. Maggs is a proven performer and we should get him signed.

If you read the "sign of the times" most talented pro-sports players are opting to go to teams where they can be reasonably certain that the team can win a championship. It's happening in the NFL and the NBA right now. A big name guy is going to have no trade clauses and he's not going to want to be a part of a rebuilding effort unless you throw some ridiculous money at him.

I don't think relying on prospects is going to get it done unless the core of the team is solid.

doublem23
08-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Impossible to replace Maggs? For what Maggs wants, you could probably get two nice FAs that would easily fit in with the team and produce what he does.

Rocklive99
08-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Heh, Don Baylor is no longer with the Cubs. :smile:
Ironically, he's with the Mets

Sounds like a good fit, another city where the baseball team he plays for will be overlooked because of an evil empire

Jerry_Manuel
08-06-2004, 10:47 PM
The Mets didn't want to sign Vlad last year because they we're worried about his back. They sure as hell aren't going to throw a huge contract at a guy who didn't play the last 3 months of the year, and who may not play at 100% next year.

owensmouth
08-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Impossible to replace Maggs? For what Maggs wants, you could probably get two nice FAs that would easily fit in with the team and produce what he does.
23,000 for a Friday night game... get used to it. WQithout Magglio, that's as big a crowd as you're gonna see. Forget about spending money you won't have. Big cuts coming.

greenpeach
08-06-2004, 11:35 PM
The Mets didn't want to sign Vlad last year because they we're worried about his back. They sure as hell aren't going to throw a huge contract at a guy who didn't play the last 3 months of the year, and who may not play at 100% next year.
I agree. In Queens they call it Mo Vaughn's Curse. :(: