PDA

View Full Version : Why Carl\Alomar

StockdaleForVeep
08-06-2004, 01:41 AM
Just a question ive been askin myself. These are great players, i wont deny that, but why are they back? I cant remember a time when a team got 2 players in trade, let them go in FA then traded for them again. What does KW see in both these guys that the rest of the league doesnt see? Also, how many total players and who have we given up for everett\alomar....both trades

I do see this as a huge momentum issue as to since Robbie is a momentum starter and he's reunited with his brother, which is motivation to him.

May not take off right off the bat but its building, this team has too much talent to not go on a run, despite their numbers, manos and crede are better than this. I just hope the momentum swing happens while rowand is still hot

Mohoney
08-06-2004, 01:49 AM
Just a question ive been askin myself. These are great players, i wont deny that, but why are they back? I cant remember a time when a team got 2 players in trade, let them go in FA then traded for them again. What does KW see in both these guys that the rest of the league doesnt see? Also, how many total players and who have we given up for everett\alomar....both trades

I do see this as a huge momentum issue as to since Robbie is a momentum starter and he's reunited with his brother, which is motivation to him.

May not take off right off the bat but its building, this team has too much talent to not go on a run, despite their numbers, manos and crede are better than this. I just hope the momentum swing happens while rowand is still hot

It's basically reaching at straws to try and salvage the season. You have to applaud Kenny for not completely backing the truck up on this season. If Schueler was still here, he would have probably traded Buehrle by now for a handful of magic beans and a middle reliever.

I know that these moves probably won't pan out into something unbelieveable, like both guys having .400+ OBPs, but I guess Kenny felt he owed it to us to at LEAST try the best he can to field a competitive team for these last 2 months. At least Robbie and Carl are real Major Leaguers.

MONEYBALL21
08-06-2004, 01:52 AM
Why Alomar and Everett? hmmmm maybe its because the Sox don't have a real GM.

StockdaleForVeep
08-06-2004, 02:13 AM
It's basically reaching at straws to try and salvage the season. You have to applaud Kenny for not completely backing the truck up on this season. If Schueler was still here, he would have probably traded Buehrle by now for a handful of magic beans and a middle reliever.

I know that these moves probably won't pan out into something unbelieveable, like both guys having .400+ OBPs, but I guess Kenny felt he owed it to us to at LEAST try the best he can to field a competitive team for these last 2 months. At least Robbie and Carl are real Major Leaguers.
Still, i mean does KW have everett's cell phone on his speed dial that he gets him and robbie back?

Mohoney
08-06-2004, 02:21 AM
Still, i mean does KW have everett's cell phone on his speed dial that he gets him and robbie back?

Maybe he thought that us fans would like to see Carl back after he did so well for us last year.

I have to think that the recent attendance at home games had a hand in this, too. The fans are starting to come back, and the LAST thing we need is to go back to drawing less than 20,000 a game.

If this team can somehow play their way back into legitimate contention (I would say that being within 2 games of the Twins by September 1 defines legitimate contention, but that's just me) the rest of this month, I would say that, overall, these moves served their purpose.

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-06-2004, 05:43 AM

Are you seriously putting down Schueler? I'd love to have Schueler back.

I don't understand either of these moves. I certainly understand the emotions involved - Kenny desperately wants to win this year. But the likelihood of winning is so remote that to jeopardize the playing time of Harris at 2nd or Borchard in right is a mistake. The Sox need to evaluate their talent for next year. The time to have fixed the offensive problems were immediately after the loss of Frank and Maggs for most if not all of the year. KW needed to get legitimate offensive threats, like, say, NOMAR. Now all he's doing is limiting the playing time of the young players just to satisfy his emotions.

inta
08-06-2004, 05:50 AM
I appreciate KW's stones... no doubt... he refuses to give up on these sox even when everyone else (and apprently the sox themselves) have.

methinks JR has beat it into KW's head that a white flag trade is the kiss of death. but in the case of these sox, it's completely necessary.
ticket sales be damned.

nccwsfan
08-06-2004, 06:24 AM
We gave up Jon Rauch and Gary Majewski (sp?) for Everett and we gave up the often traded "player to be named later" for Robbie Alomar. Those are pretty good deals by KW and if he can pull off more trades like that I say do it.

soxtalker
08-06-2004, 07:27 AM
A couple of rather different points.

First, the arguments that these moves are just aimed at this year may not be valid. Aren't both of these players signed through next year? If so, I think that KW has wanted them back for awhile. Also, I believe that both signed for considerably less than they would have if the Sox had resigned them immediately after last year. I'm not saying that I agree with the moves. I don't if they are on the team next year.

I don't understand the comments about attendance. People will continue to fill the Cell only if they perceive that the Sox still have a good chance at making the post season. Just "trying", "going for it", or knowing that the management still thinks it can win won't matter to most fans; they will make up their own minds as to whether the Sox still can do it.

Scotty347
08-06-2004, 07:28 AM
Just a question ive been askin myself. These are great players, i wont deny that, but why are they back?
Because they're grinders!

oldcomiskey
08-06-2004, 08:25 AM

I don't see it that way. KW had to add a big bat and Everett was the cheapest available--He got Alomar to light a fire under Wiilie's ass.. Somebody said earlier in another thread that were tired of seeing Willie will all that speed not knowing how to bunt--well--I guess he will have to learn now. the Sox are in bad need of a few crucial spots on the starting roster, and I realize that Alomar and Everett arent the answer long term, but it may send Borchard and Perez and Harris the same message it sent Rowand--and to some extent Loaiza---either produce or youre gone

Iguana775
08-06-2004, 08:40 AM
Let's just go back to a GM that doesnt make any moves what so ever and likes trading good players for potential. let's just be average at best instead of trying to get better.

I'd rather have a GM that takes a chance and TRIES to make the team better than just sitting on his thumb and twisting.

balke
08-06-2004, 10:45 AM
My biggest problem with this trade... is why reward failure? This team just lost 2 of 3 to KC, and you just NOW decide to bring back Robbie? What about at the very beginning of the season, or when we were heading into the twins series?

KW has made the only move so far that I truly disagree with. All Robbie does is make this team older, and more expensive. Since when is 2B our biggest problem? How about we worry about a defensive SS, or a younger RF if maggs is going? Or a younger veteran Catcher than Sandy Alomar jr.? Bullpen help?

P.S. we just lost our 5th starter...

oldcomiskey
08-06-2004, 03:50 PM
My biggest problem with this trade... is why reward failure? This team just lost 2 of 3 to KC, and you just NOW decide to bring back Robbie? What about at the very beginning of the season, or when we were heading into the twins series?

KW has made the only move so far that I truly disagree with. All Robbie does is make this team older, and more expensive. Since when is 2B our biggest problem? How about we worry about a defensive SS, or a younger RF if maggs is going? Or a younger veteran Catcher than Sandy Alomar jr.? Bullpen help?

P.S. we just lost our 5th starter...
I'll tell you why-----aint nobody available at those positions that came as cheap as Alomar

PS--we aint had a 5th starter all year

Deadguy
08-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Just a question ive been askin myself. These are great players, i wont deny that, but why are they back? :KW
"You naysayers questioning my strategery need to remember that these two possess the most underappreciated intangible in baseball: decoyability."