PDA

View Full Version : DC deserves the Expos

sld7c
08-06-2004, 12:52 AM
What's all this talk about Northern Virginia getting the Expos to reach a compromise with Angelos? Come on, if there are no D.C. fans what's he so worried about? Perhaps that those non-existent fans will stop driving over an hour to see his sorry team? Seriously who doesn't think that the heart of D.C. is a better place for a team than out by the airport and interstate? If Norfolk or Vegas got em instead then fine (though D.C. is still the more logical choice), but if it's Northern VA then we all know there's only one reason for that. And let me tell you if it's NoVA I'd bet they'll limit not only their D.C. fan base but their VA too. There's the fact that the people who'd drive to D.C. probably for a weekend probably aren't so eager to fight their way out into the sprawl (imagine the Cubs or the Sox in Joliet, just how many midwestern tourists do you think they'd draw), and beyond that most of us South of Manassas hate NoVA and its arrogant, pushy, yuppie inhabitants like, well like Southsiders hate the Northside yuppies in Chicago.

FightingBillini
08-06-2004, 01:38 AM
I agree with you 100%. I also think the team name should be changed to the Senators.

D.C. is a sprawling area now. It used to be just politicians and ghettos. But now, DC has an evergrowing private sector. It is the forth largest urban area in the nation. It is obviously the largest without a baseball team. The people of DC deserve a team. While the Twins and Rangers were there, they were both horrible franchises. They were always near last place (the old saying goes... Washington is always first in war, first in peace, and last in the American League). They also had horrible stingy owners, who moved the teams when they got a sweeter deal elsewhere. It wasnt due to a lack of support. There was a fanbase, but they werent going to come out in droves to see a 100 loss team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1846586
I enjoyed this article on ESPN.com. The author Tom Friend grew up in the DC area, and that Baltimore was always a second class city. He wrote that Baltimore never sold out its games. He mentioned walking up and buying day of game tickets to the world series one year. He also said that the Senators fans dont support the Orioles, its the transplant fans in DC. The Senators fans hate the Orioles and they deserve a team to root for. They shouldnt miss out becuase Baltimore needs to rape the DC fan base. Screw Peter Angelos. As he says Angelos' claim that the DC area cant support two teams means that Baltimore cant support one.

VaSoxfan
08-06-2004, 03:54 PM
What's all this talk about Northern Virginia getting the Expos to reach a compromise with Angelos? Come on, if there are no D.C. fans what's he so worried about? Perhaps that those non-existent fans will stop driving over an hour to see his sorry team? Seriously who doesn't think that the heart of D.C. is a better place for a team than out by the airport and interstate? If Norfolk or Vegas got em instead then fine (though D.C. is still the more logical choice), but if it's Northern VA then we all know there's only one reason for that. And let me tell you if it's NoVA I'd bet they'll limit not only their D.C. fan base but their VA too. There's the fact that the people who'd drive to D.C. probably for a weekend probably aren't so eager to fight their way out into the sprawl (imagine the Cubs or the Sox in Joliet, just how many midwestern tourists do you think they'd draw), and beyond that most of us South of Manassas hate NoVA and its arrogant, pushy, yuppie inhabitants like, well like Southsiders hate the Northside yuppies in Chicago.

Hey don't blame us in No. Virginia. Blame Angelos and Selig. Because of them, neither DC or Virginia may get a team. Angelos will get hit hard wherever the team lands...maybe not so much in ticket revenue but with cable, advertising, etc.

Another reason No. Va is being considered is the economy there. The population is growing at the fastest rate in the country. More and more major corporations are moving here almost monthly. The job growth is three times the national average and the per capita blows away DC. One thing you have to realize is if the Expos come here, they will be easily supported...with the ballooning population and all the corporate interest there will be no shortage of fans.

Regardless of where the team goes, DC or No. Va, there will be plenty of fans. I for one would welcome the team wherever it goes. I'd love a downtown stadium, with views of the Capitol and Wash. Monument, etc. That would be great. But I'd also welcome a team in the burbs, simply cause I live only a half hour from the proposed site, but I also like the layout of the future site, with the stadium and surrounding complex they are planning. Plus it's a nice area out there, and they will have nice sightlines of the Blue Ridge Mountains as well. And with major interstates and a future extension of the Orange Line metro out that way, people from DC should be able to get there easy as well.

And hey, easy on the arrogant, pushy, yuppie stereotypes. Every area is going to have those...and it's not like you folks down south of Bull Run don't have your share of interesting people...

The bottom line is, who cares where the stadium goes...did anybody care when the Redskins were sent to Maryland? That doesn't stop us in Virginia from going over there....the baseball team will do well here, wherever it ends up....

sld7c
08-11-2004, 12:31 AM
You won't get as many D.C. fans as you'd think. I know more than a few people who've promised not to set foot in it if it isn't built in D.C. You won't get the tourists either. You think some family from Roanoke, Staunton, or Charlottesville is going to fight their way through Beltway roads out to Dulles? They're probably happy just to have survived the white knuckle trip into the city. Yet if the same bunch could hail a cab to the park or be close enough to walk. . . Much the same goes for all the school kids on field trips, they're going to stay in the city and the easier it is for them to get to the park from the city the better the chances they'll go. And do you seriously think they'd come up there for any other reason than to go to D.C.? ("Hey kids, we're going to Crystal City," is not, I expect a statment that's uttered all that often) I know there'd *hypothetically* be a Metro stop there, but in the best D.C. scenario there'd be four; making it all the easier for befuddled tourists intimidated by the Metro. Besides there are all the people who'd be driving out of their way to go to Dulles who work in D.C. but who might very well stick around to see a game after work if it were in the city. And you'll never convince me that No VA's even in the running for any reason other than a possible compromise with Angelos. D.C. has a history of baseball, NoVA doesn't. (Va or D.C we know they'll probably be called the D.C. Senators). D.C. is a real city, NoVA's where the people sleep after work in that city.

dcb33
08-11-2004, 12:43 AM
I don't think D.C. or NoVa should get the franchise because not only has baseball failed miserably, for whatever reason you wish to come up with, in D.C., but also because baseball would be passing up a perfect opportunity to realign itself and take a step toward getting rid of this ridiculous unbalanced schedule. I say move the Expos to either Portland or Vegas, and make it an AL West team, and move either Pittsburgh or Cincinnati to the NL East. You would then have 6 divisions with 5 teams each. If you eliminated interleague play, you could have intra-divisional teams play 18 times, and have non-division, same league teams play 9 times. Then we Sox fans would get the opportunity to watch teams in our own league like the Yankmees, A's, Red Sox, etc., more often instead of getting stuck whatever random NL team the schedule makers stick us with.

MarkM2112
08-11-2004, 11:12 AM
I don't think D.C. or NoVa should get the franchise because not only has baseball failed miserably, for whatever reason you wish to come up with, in D.C., but also because baseball would be passing up a perfect opportunity to realign itself and take a step toward getting rid of this ridiculous unbalanced schedule. I say move the Expos to either Portland or Vegas, and make it an AL West team, and move either Pittsburgh or Cincinnati to the NL East. You would then have 6 divisions with 5 teams each. If you eliminated interleague play, you could have intra-divisional teams play 18 times, and have non-division, same league teams play 9 times. Then we Sox fans would get the opportunity to watch teams in our own league like the Yankmees, A's, Red Sox, etc., more often instead of getting stuck whatever random NL team the schedule makers stick us with.
Wecan't do that... ESPECIALLY if we eliminate interleague play. What you are proposing with having have 6 divisions with 5 teams each, would mean that each league would have 15 teams, which means that they would be uneven as far as matchups, and 1 team would have to have a bye for an entire series.

MarqSox
08-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Montreal deserves a competitive team with real ownership and a real stadium. Give them that and they'd draw at least as well as DC, I guarantee it.

PINWHEELS
08-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Montreal deserves a competitive team with real ownership and a real stadium. Give them that and they'd draw at least as well as DC, I guarantee it.Do that! Plus move the Expos to the AL East, And put the D-Rays in the N.L. East. That way both teams would have close division rivals. Montreal would have Toronto, Boston, and the NYY Fans that would show up.

dcb33
08-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Wecan't do that... ESPECIALLY if we eliminate interleague play. What you are proposing with having have 6 divisions with 5 teams each, would mean that each league would have 15 teams, which means that they would be uneven as far as matchups, and 1 team would have to have a bye for an entire series.
OOPS! In my haste to type my proposal I completely overlooked that obvious deal breaker. Silly me. Those old plans to just contract the 'Spos and the TWINS don't sound so bad after all....

VaSoxfan
08-11-2004, 11:29 PM
You won't get as many D.C. fans as you'd think. I know more than a few people who've promised not to set foot in it if it isn't built in D.C. You won't get the tourists either. You think some family from Roanoke, Staunton, or Charlottesville is going to fight their way through Beltway roads out to Dulles? They're probably happy just to have survived the white knuckle trip into the city. Yet if the same bunch could hail a cab to the park or be close enough to walk. . . Much the same goes for all the school kids on field trips, they're going to stay in the city and the easier it is for them to get to the park from the city the better the chances they'll go. And do you seriously think they'd come up there for any other reason than to go to D.C.? ("Hey kids, we're going to Crystal City," is not, I expect a statment that's uttered all that often) I know there'd *hypothetically* be a Metro stop there, but in the best D.C. scenario there'd be four; making it all the easier for befuddled tourists intimidated by the Metro. Besides there are all the people who'd be driving out of their way to go to Dulles who work in D.C. but who might very well stick around to see a game after work if it were in the city. And you'll never convince me that No VA's even in the running for any reason other than a possible compromise with Angelos. D.C. has a history of baseball, NoVA doesn't. (Va or D.C we know they'll probably be called the D.C. Senators). D.C. is a real city, NoVA's where the people sleep after work in that city.

Do you even check your facts and/or look at numbers before posting? Or are you just relying on that "I know a few people" nonsense? Do you honestly think they are banking on tourists to go to games?? And how many people actually live in DC? Compared to the surrounding suburbs? The population in No. Virginia is exploding...Loudon County is the fastest growing county in the entire COUNTRY. We don't need people from Roanoke "slugging" it out over Beltway roads to go to games...Fairfax and Loudon County alone can more than easily support a 38-40,000 seat stadium. I hardly think that no matter where the stadium eventually ends up, we are holding our breath for tourists to buy tickets...or school kids on field trips....you can't be serious with those statements. As for people going to games after work...do you realize how many companies are in No. Va? It's not like if people from the city don't go out there, the seats won't get filled...

What you aren't understanding, or choosing to ignore, is bottom line, No. Va has an exploding population, steady job growth, and a high per capita...there are dozens of major corporations HQd out here and more arrive yearly...baseball will do just fine in this area, no matter where the stadium is. And I think most people who really want baseball here, like me, really don't care where they play, as long as it's somewhere close by. I'll go no matter where they end up.

VaSoxfan
08-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Well your whole realignment issue aside, which is bizarre, the fact that baseball failed here twice should not matter...that was 30 years ago. The entire area has changed and the population and economy is five times what it was then...and there are lots of people here screaming for baseball.

Moving the Expos to Portland or Vegas is not only impracticable with what both cities have to offer vs. DC/No Va, but neither site is really that attractive to MLB. The only and I mean only thing that has kept MLB from sending the Spos here is Angelos.

VaSoxfan
08-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Montreal deserves a competitive team with real ownership and a real stadium. Give them that and they'd draw at least as well as DC, I guarantee it.
They've actually had competitive teams a lot in the last few years...and they still have drawn flies...that's a hockey town, nobody has cared about the Expos up there for 20 years.

dcb33
08-12-2004, 12:10 AM
Well your whole realignment issue aside, which is bizarre, the fact that baseball failed here twice should not matter...that was 30 years ago. The entire area has changed and the population and economy is five times what it was then...and there are lots of people here screaming for baseball.

Moving the Expos to Portland or Vegas is not only impracticable with what both cities have to offer vs. DC/No Va, but neither site is really that attractive to MLB. The only and I mean only thing that has kept MLB from sending the Spos here is Angelos.No, you're right- I got too caught up in my own thoughts trying to create an unworkable alignment that would balance the schedule. I will defer to your better judgement, and if you think a team in D.C. would be successful, then so be it. A balanced schedule will never come about again until the majors expand to 32 or contract to 28 and eliminate interleague play anyway. Neither is going to happen, and I will admit my original post was foolish.

MarqSox
08-12-2004, 10:27 AM
They've actually had competitive teams a lot in the last few years...and they still have drawn flies...that's a hockey town, nobody has cared about the Expos up there for 20 years.Not true. They were on pace to draw well over 2 million in 1994.

Furthermore ... yeah, they've had decent (not good) teams in recent years and drawn poorly. But can you blame them? Baseball has made it clear that the team is going to move. They don't market the ballclub at all (you think Blackhawks fans have it bad? The Expos don't even have a TV contract!). And they play in what is easily baseball's worst stadium.

Might I remind you, the White Sox drew just as bad or worse during the late 60s and early 70s. Poor crowds does not mean a franchise is dead in that city, it merely means that changes in ownership, marketing and even stadia need to be made. This is the case in Montreal. Baseball screwed them in 1994, and now they're screwing them again in 2004. It's just a shame.

Frater Perdurabo
08-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Here's a solution that makes everyone except Angelos and the purists happy: Move the Twins back to DC as the Senators. Contract the Expos and D-Rays. Eliminate the leagues and realign in four divisions:

East/Atlantic: Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Orioles, Senators, Marlins, Braves
East/Central: Reds, Phillies, Pirates, Blue Jays, Indians, Tigers, Brewers

West/Midwest: Sox, Cubs, Cardinals, Royals, Rangers, Astros, Rockies
West/Pacific: Padres, Angels, Dodgers, Mariners, A's, Giants, Diamondbacks

Everyone plays the SAME schedule: 6 games (3 home, 3 away) vs. all 27 other teams = 162 games. Division winners and two conference wild cards (best records) advance to playoffs. All three rounds of postseason play are best-of-seven series.

MarqSox
08-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Here's a solution that makes everyone except Angelos and the purists happy: Move the Twins back to DC as the Senators. Contract the Expos and D-Rays. Eliminate the leagues and realign in four divisions:

Everyone plays the SAME schedule: 6 games (3 home, 3 away) vs. all 27 other teams = 162 games. Division winners and two conference wild cards (best records) advance to playoffs. All three rounds of postseason play are best-of-seven series.I'm neither Angelos nor a purist, and I have serious problems with that idea.

Baby Fisk
08-12-2004, 04:03 PM

Everyone plays the SAME schedule: 6 games (3 home, 3 away) vs. all 27 other teams = 162 games. Division winners and two conference wild cards (best records) advance to playoffs. All three rounds of postseason play are best-of-seven series.I kinda like the division alignments, but I'm not sold on that scheduling.

BTW, there can still be found online the ambitious yet forever doomed proposal for "Labatt Park", the Expos future (and futuristic) new stade in downtown Montreal:

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/index.htm

The link won't go directly there. From the menu on the left, click:

National / future / Labatt Park.

MRKARNO
08-12-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm neither Angelos nor a purist, and I have serious problems with that idea.
Yeah same here. Going from what we have now to a NBA-like set-up is a bad idea.

sld7c
08-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Ah the lovely park nestled between the airport and road. Just what every fan wants, because places like U.S. Cellular just seem too old timey and traditional. Do you seriously think a park with a view of an airport and traffic is better than one with a view of the mall? As for growth, NC's research triangle has grown like mad but they didn't get a major league team. Maybe you guys deserve a Double or even Triple A team but no more. What figures are you using? D.C.'s central to all the suburbs, Maryland and VA which makes it closer to more people than a location NoVA, which is precisely the idea. If NoVA wasn't out of the way of many fans, and if it wasn't an inferior location, no one would propose it as a sop to Angelos. You know I've decided Vegas or Norfolk would be better, just imagine the team names you could come up with for those.

VaSoxfan
08-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Ah the lovely park nestled between the airport and road. Just what every fan wants, because places like U.S. Cellular just seem too old timey and traditional. Do you seriously think a park with a view of an airport and traffic is better than one with a view of the mall? As for growth, NC's research triangle has grown like mad but they didn't get a major league team. Maybe you guys deserve a Double or even Triple A team but no more. What figures are you using? D.C.'s central to all the suburbs, Maryland and VA which makes it closer to more people than a location NoVA, which is precisely the idea. If NoVA wasn't out of the way of many fans, and if it wasn't an inferior location, no one would propose it as a sop to Angelos. You know I've decided Vegas or Norfolk would be better, just imagine the team names you could come up with for those.

With all due respect, you've been wrong from the start on this on a lot of things. There really isn't anything to debate. Have you even seen the proposed plans for the stadium and the surrounding area? It looks very nice. Who has said the view will be of the airport and traffic? You can't even see Dulles from the site, so it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. And I'm sure the people in charge of designing the site would have made sure the sightlines were of a highway....get real. From what I've seen, the view will be of the mountains which are easily seen to the west of that area. Yes there will be highways nearby, but I guess according to you that's a bad idea to have a stadium with easy access to roads and metro so people from all over the area can get there. What were they thinking??

Ignore the facts about growth all you want. I'm sure lots of areas in this country are growing, but nobody as fast or as economically viable as Fairfax/Loudon County. These are facts. Again, good job growth is constant here, as are the many major corporations that are here in NoVa.

You say we deserve a AA or AAA team? I guess I'm not seeing the difference between NoVa and Washington DC. I live 21 miles in a straight line from the White House. I work six miles from the Pentagon. To me NoVa and DC are one and the same, we are in the DC suburbs and that's what you aren't understanding. The Redskins are 12 miles out into DC's Maryland suburbs....I suppose using your "logic" that means they are Maryland's team? Again, look at the population #s....and if you seriously think NOBODY will come from DC or other parts of the area to go to a ball game, think again. I love your use of the term "inferior location" in regards to NoVa. There are plenty of reasons to have the team out here, and again, I do not care whether they build it here or in DC....from where I live DC would be a longer drive by about six minutes tops. It's not like the stadium is being built halfway to West Virginia. That's again what you aren't understanding. Yes DC is central to everything, but where do you think most people who work in DC live? Virginia. The desire for baseball in this area is so strong, no matter where it's built there will be good crowds and tons of interest.

You really ought to give it up. Norfolk? Please. You spoke of an AAA team, well they have one and they barely fill half their tiny park. They had a ticket drive this past spring to show MLB there was a lot of interest in getting a major league team and it ended embarrassingly below the numbers they were looking for. And Norfolk has so many nice, scenic areas since you're so concerned about that. As for Vegas, I'm sure that's the image MLB wants...yeah put a team in the desert (with no decent stadium mind you) until a nice astroturf dome is built in ten years, with a casino next door and slot machines next to the hot dog vendors. That will fly for sure.

Anyway you're obviously someone that does not like this area, based on your past comments. I'm sorry you feel that way, but baseball can and will do well here if MLB chooses to put the team here. And if they end up downtown, that would be great too. That's what you're not understanding. We don't care where it goes....so long as it comes to this area.

bigfoot
08-16-2004, 04:29 PM
NoVa seems like a viable lcation for the Bingo Robinson and his Traveling Expos. Though I wonder how the first all-corporate suite ballpark will go over. One could not expect the lobby lawyers from K Street to be uncomfortable in; the chilly mists of April, the sweltering sauna of June/July/Aug, and the emptiness of Redskin Sundays. It would mess up a perfectly good soft-shell crab and champagne feast.

But the real question remains......What to call the team? Eliminated are....Native Americans, Endangered Animals, the Very Obtuse(Isotopes?), the Non-Regional(Lobos, Antelopes,Buckeyes...), yet preserving the essence of what makes the District distinctive in its own right.

My vote is torn between.....Mosquitoes and Ticks

Both indigenous to the area, reflective of the major industry of the area, government, and in absolutely no danger of being eliminated.

Your vote......next WSI.

sld7c
08-20-2004, 12:42 AM
Okay I admit my mistake. D.C.'s no good, Norfolk worse, and Puerto Rico's a just plain crazy idea. Vegas all the way. If you're going to stick it in a sprawling soulless boomtown then at least do it right. Maybe they could even have a monorail out to the park. Only question rhinestones or no rhinestones on the uniforms?

bigfoot
08-20-2004, 01:50 AM
Okay I admit my mistake. D.C.'s no good, Norfolk worse, and Puerto Rico's a just plain crazy idea. Vegas all the way. If you're going to stick it in a sprawling soulless boomtown then at least do it right. Maybe they could even have a monorail out to the park. Only question rhinestones or no rhinestones on the uniforms?
This will be great! A domed stadium, attached to the convention center, with slots at ever seat, and a total Wi-Fi zone, so one can get a bet down on every pitch!
Pete Rose for GM!

jordan23ventura
08-20-2004, 03:42 AM
I like the 6 division/5 team each set up, but also interleague play. I think it would be better though if interleague play was stretched out over the entire season instead of the summer only, with each division playing the same division in the opposite league. For example, the AL Central would play the NL Central only. This way, an entire team doesnt have to have a series off and interleague rivalries would occur throughout the season, giving exposure to say a Cincinnati/Cleveland series where it would otherwise be overshadowed by Yankees/Mets, Sox/Cubs, or Angels/Dodgers.

jordan23ventura
08-20-2004, 03:45 AM
This will be great! A domed stadium, attached to the convention center, with slots at ever seat, and a total Wi-Fi zone, so one can get a bet down on every pitch!
Pete Rose for GM!
And if it's just on the outskirts of Vegas there can be hookers in the dugout, too!

Honestly, don't you think that living in Vegas might cause more than a few distractions in the clubhouse??

sld7c
08-21-2004, 09:36 PM
And presuming they'd ditch "Expos" as a name think of the possibilities for a new one if they were in Vegas. NoVA what have you got that really fits the region? The "Sprawl" the "Soccer Moms," "the SUVs", "Beltway," "the McMansions" "The Arrogant Northern Migrants." But with Vegas, the possibilities are endless. My vote would be for the "Las Vegas Burning Sensations"- CATCH THE SENSATION!!

bigfoot
08-22-2004, 03:01 AM
And presuming they'd ditch "Expos" as a name think of the possibilities for a new one if they were in Vegas. NoVA what have you got that really fits the region? The "Sprawl" the "Soccer Moms," "the SUVs", "Beltway," "the McMansions" "The Arrogant Northern Migrants." But with Vegas, the possibilities are endless. My vote would be for the "Las Vegas Burning Sensations"- CATCH THE SENSATION!!
DC/NoVA...with all the lobby money in the area, the opportunity for 'branding' is infinite. Stadium, Field, Left & Right foul lines/fair poles, Center Field bleachers(always in play), standing room(the undecideds), computer aided urinal ad placement(dependent upon the 'point of view'), 7th inning stretch(why only the 7th?),

DC....Ticks/Mosquitoes/Interns/Pages/Neocons/Pinkos/
DittoHeads/Dutchmen(Reagan tribute)/Beltway Belters

Las Vegas....same branding ops, except the Stadium name could be sold by the week, depending on the Convention.

I don't think that todays millionaire athletes would get into any more trouble in Vegas than they would in any other city. If you can't get into trouble in Atlanta, you went home too early*. This applies to all cities in the Major Leagues.

*With apologies to Dan Jenkins.

flo-B-flo
08-23-2004, 08:24 PM
I guess N Virginia would be the best location for the "Nova's". Or will this be the launching pad for another:?: fleeing franchise from this area?