PDA

View Full Version : Schoney to DL, Adkins/Diaz/Josh Stewart to start Monday

Win1ForMe
08-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Per the Tribune:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The White Sox are expected to place struggling left-handed starter Scott Schoeneweis on the disabled list Friday to make room for Roberto Alomar on the 25-man roster.

Schoeneweis (6-9) told manager Ozzie Guillen he is experiencing tightness and soreness in his left arm.

If Schoeneweis goes on the DL, the Sox's search for a competent No. 5 starter continues. Schoeneweis was touched up for nine runs on nine hits in 12/3 innings against Kansas City on Wednesday night.

"Thank God we don't have that many No. 5 spots left," Guillen said. "It's going to be, maybe, [Jon] Adkins or [Felix] Diaz or Josh Stewart."
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040805soxbits,1,6165294.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Man, I wish SS just wouldn't have these injuries. It's a lot easier to just say he sucks than to wonder how much those arm problems affect his performance.

South Side
08-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Eh, this just sounds like an excuse. He sucks, just admit it White Sox.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-05-2004, 11:38 PM
I have to agree with that one

-cfad

Brian26
08-05-2004, 11:41 PM
Give Josh Stewart the ball! He won a game for us in early 2003, maybe he can recapture the magic.

Win1ForMe
08-05-2004, 11:43 PM
This is interesting. Schoney pitched 64.2 innings last year. After 64 IP this year (end of May) his ERA was a nice 3.64. Since? 8.23 (!!) Makes you think if that has anything to do with it. I still say he sucks but it's worth considering.

MisterB
08-06-2004, 12:56 AM
If Schoeneweis goes on the DL, the Sox's search for a competent No. 5 starter continues.
Even if Schoeneweis DOESN'T go on the DL, the Sox are still searching for a competent #5 starter...

SomebodyToldMe
08-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Eh, this just sounds like an excuse. He sucks, just admit it White Sox.
amen.

mcfish
08-06-2004, 01:35 AM
Per the Tribune:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040805soxbits,1,6165294.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Man, I wish SS just wouldn't have these injuries. It's a lot easier to just say he sucks than to wonder how much those arm problems affect his performance.Sounds like Koch's "injury" last year.
"Hey Scott, you're hurt."
"But I feel fine."
"No, your arm is sore. Looks like it's the DL for you"
"Now that you mention it...."

StockdaleForVeep
08-06-2004, 01:51 AM
Sounds like Koch's "injury" last year.
"Hey Scott, you're hurt."
"But I feel fine."
"No, your arm is sore. Looks like it's the DL for you"
"Now that you mention it...."
Wasnt this said for danny wright as well? And it turns out it wasnt his head that was disabled.

hsnterprize
08-06-2004, 07:55 AM
Our good friends at the Chicago Sun Times drop us this information (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug06.html). So much for the pitching rotation being solid, eh?

oldcomiskey
08-06-2004, 08:10 AM
I'm reminded of the words of Tom Paciorek when asked by Hawk if he ever spent time on the DL. Wimply replied "you mean when I was actually injured?"

Iguana775
08-06-2004, 08:41 AM
He's got the Todd Ritchie injury.

joeynach
08-06-2004, 09:15 AM
He's got the Todd Ritchie injury.
That seems to be a re-occuring injury among sox pitching!

bobj4400
08-06-2004, 09:17 AM
That explains why he gave up 9 runs in 1.1 innings on wednesday...

joeynach
08-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Give Josh Stewart the ball! He won a game for us in early 2003, maybe he can recapture the magic.Well if the only way they are making room for robbie is by putting SS on the dl then the starter for monday is not going to come from AAA. There is no more room, unless someone else gets sent down. So as of right now the starter for monday will most likely be a bullpen arm cotts/adkins.

Yeeeeaayyyy look at me IM NOW A PERSONALITY!!!!!:bandance: :bandance: :)

fledgedrallycap
08-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Give Josh Stewart the ball! He won a game for us in early 2003, maybe he can recapture the magic.
I'm with you there.

HomerCoach
08-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Call up Grilli for the pen and start Cotts.

balke
08-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Schoeny was pitching very well until he went on the DL the first time. Ever since he's been in a funk, and has zero movement on his pitches. I think he wasn't meant to come off so soon in the first place, the sox were just in a hurry to have a 5th starter.

I can't wait til for that special 5th starter by committee rotation again!! whoohoo!! Bring on Diaz, he's been so awesome so far!!! Remember that one time he got a win? I bet he does that again!!!

Aidan
08-06-2004, 02:21 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040805&content_id=820048&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp
Alomar will join the White Sox on Friday at U.S. Cellular Field as they open a weekend series against the Cleveland Indians. Manager Ozzie Guillen said prior to Thursday's game in Kansas City that the club may make room for Alomar's arrival by placing left-hander Scott Schoeneweis on the disabled list because of arm tightness."Thank God we don't have that many five spots left [this season],'' Guillen said.AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Huisj
08-06-2004, 03:38 PM
the sox need to use Jerry Manual's old lineup choosing technique for picking the fifth starter each week--find 6 guys who could do it, assign a number 1-6 to each of them, and then roll the dice. I'll help them out:

1-Felix Diaz
2-Josh Stewart
3-Jason Grilli
4-Jon Adkins
5-Neal Cotts
6-????

If they roll a 6, i guess that means the season's over. oh wait . . . oops i forgot it already was.

OEO Magglio
08-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Felix deserves it, his last 2 starts were pretty solid up here. He had the real good game against the cubs and then he had a pretty good game against them again where he let up 3 runs in the 1st and nothing for the rest of the game in which he went 5 innings. I think Felix should get the ball.

sendimjoey
08-06-2004, 04:42 PM
This is interesting. Schoney pitched 64.2 innings last year. After 64 IP this year (end of May) his ERA was a nice 3.64. Since? 8.23 (!!) Makes you think if that has anything to do with it. I still say he sucks but it's worth considering.Right, which is why he should just admit that his arm can't hold up to the stress of being a starter. Someone should explain to him that he could have a very long career as a left-handed reliever so long as his elbow ligaments don't disintegrate.

Call up Felix Diaz for Monday's game. Send down (edit: or release or designate for assingment) Ross Gload -- might as well see if Borchard can play.

Aidan
08-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Call up Felix Diaz for Monday's game. Send down (edit: or release or designate for assingment) Ross Gload -- might as well see if Borchard can play.Why does everyone here hate Ross Gload? He is a bench player -- a backup first baseman and a shaky right fielder. But he is hitting .270. It isn't great but it's respectable.

Ross Gload (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=340393)
126 AB
.270 AVG
2 HR
21 RBI

sendimjoey
08-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Aidan, I don't hate Ross Gload. I just think guys like him are a dime a dozen. There are plenty of guys like him available all the time. The Sox will need to free up a roster spot for (I hope) Diaz, and Gload seems the most expendable to me.

And maybe when they find a replacement fifth outfielder, he'll be able to keep his slam against the Cubs fair. :D:

OEO Magglio
08-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Aidan, I don't hate Ross Gload. I just think guys like him are a dime a dozen. There are plenty of guys like him available all the time. The Sox will need to free up a roster spot for (I hope) Diaz, and Gload seems the most expendable to me.

And maybe when they find a replacement fifth outfielder, he'll be able to keep his slam against the Cubs fair. :D:I completely disagree with you on Ross. Ross is by far the best pinch hitter we have. I think he's hitting over .300 as a pinch hitter, those guys aren't a dime a dozen.

Frater Perdurabo
08-06-2004, 09:17 PM
To make room for Diaz, why not just release Mike Jackson? Or put him on the DL?

sendimjoey
08-06-2004, 09:22 PM
To make room for Diaz, why not just release Mike Jackson? Or put him on the DL?

Well, the Sox already dropped to 10 pitchers when R. Alomar took Schoeneweis's spot on the roster. I would think they'd like to stay at 11 pitchers, especially since I would want to be prepared to have to go to the pen early in Diaz's starts. Plus, the Sox have enough right fielders.

Gload is 8 for 22 as a pinch hitter, which computes to a .364 average. Still, is that enough reason to keep a guy who can barely play right field around? They could dump Timo Perez instead, as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Not that I'm against sending Mike Jackson into his retirement with a fake gold Rolex.

rmusacch
08-06-2004, 09:44 PM
Well if the only way they are making room for robbie is by putting SS on the dl then the starter for monday is not going to come from AAA. There is no more room, unless someone else gets sent down. So as of right now the starter for monday will most likely be a bullpen arm cotts/adkins.

Yeeeeaayyyy look at me IM NOW A PERSONALITY!!!!!:bandance: :bandance: :)
Well they do only have 10 pitchers so I am sure a hitter will go down.