PDA

View Full Version : Would you have rather seen KW throw in the towel?

jordan23ventura
08-05-2004, 10:38 PM
There's another thread on KW but I felt a new one would be appropriate to ask this question. What would we all be saying if KW threw in the towel?

I don't know about all of you, but IMO the biggest bright spot this year so far hasn't been Rowand or Lee or Takatsu or Konerko. It has been a new attitude towards the fans by the White Sox PR department.

Since the hiring of Brooks Boyer this team has actually tried to advertise to bring back fans. Finally, commercials that aren't boring. Finally, a slogan we can be proud of: Sox Pride.

With a new manager who loves this city and is respected by other managers around the league and desperately wants to win, new stadium renovations, and an emphasis on bringing new fans into the park, we finally may be on to something here. Maybe, respect isn't that far off.

Given all the improvements this year off the field, and all the focus on winning, what would KW be expected to do? Win. He showed everyone that he wants this and wants it now. I have no problem with any of the moves he made this year. They all, even the Alomar deal, improved this team. They all showed a commitment to winning and changing things around here. It's not his fault that Maggs and Frank went down. It's not his fault that Willie Harris and Juan Uribe fell into a never-ending slump (oh yeah, he should have gone out and gotten Nomar and Vidro). It's not his fault that this team has fallen apart. He never had the wallet to make the changes necessary, but he gave it his best. Even JR gave him the approval to get Delgado.

Most importantly, KW never gave up on the fans. Neither did anyone else in the organization.

Given that, changes are definately in order, and I believe we will see major changes in the offseason. The trades that were made (Garcia, Contreras especially) help to solidify a starting rotation that has always been full of question marks not just now but in the future. Robbie Alomar, and I don't care what anyone says, is a cheap veteran player that can sit on my teams bench anytime. Everett is a workable solution to help replace Maggs. This team is not done, and neither is KW or Ozzie. In fact, I see the future as being much brighter for this team next year than it was at the beginning of this year.

Thoughts?

jordan23ventura
08-05-2004, 10:50 PM
And another thing: how much would we all be bashing KW right now if he had thrown in the towel? Even worse, what would the fans think? What would 'Sox Pride' be?