PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Chicago White Sox

Frank the Tank
08-05-2004, 11:09 PM
I don't think all of the KW bashing going on is fair. This thread is a big if, but this is what the team KW assembled should look like right now.

2B: Alomar/Uribe/Harris
CF: Aaron Rowand/Carl Everett
RF: Magglio Ordonez
DH: Frank Thomas
1B: Paul Konerko
LF: Carlos Lee
SS: Jose Valentin
3B: Joe Crede
C : Burke/Davis/Alomar

SP: Freddy Garcia
SP: Mark Buehrle
SP: Jose Contreras
SP: Jon Garland
SP: Scott Schoenweiss

Pen: Politte, Adkins, Cotts, Marte
Closer: Shingo

I know I'm going to sound like a cubs fan, but:

Wouldn't it be more fair to place the blame on the injuries instead of KW?

Huisj
08-05-2004, 11:16 PM
this team was showing no heart before the injuries. the core of this team has shown no heart since about July of 2000. they are a group of underachieving un-fundamentally-sound chokers. when the core can't get it done, the team won't get it done even by adding bits here and there.

start over

OEO Magglio
08-05-2004, 11:17 PM
:worship:

Huisj
08-05-2004, 11:25 PM
i don't think the blame here goes to KW. he's tried and tried and tried, and on paper he's put together a good team, even a decent team in spite of the injuries. I think the blame goes on the players for not being able to play fundamental baseball and for swinging for the fences constantly and failing to play well against crappy teams (again).

nccwsfan
08-05-2004, 11:27 PM
I don't think all of the KW bashing going on is fair. This thread is a big if, but this is what the team KW assembled should look like right now.

No question. Every team has injuries, but how many teams lose their #3 and #4 hitters and improve as the season progresses? If they're in the lineup it's a much different scenario right now.

Unfortunately IF doesn't matter....this team needs to pick up the slack and so far they have failed miserably.

Daver
08-05-2004, 11:30 PM
i don't think the blame here goes to KW. he's tried and tried and tried, and on paper he's put together a good team, even a decent team in spite of the injuries. I think the blame goes on the players for not being able to play fundamental baseball and for swinging for the fences constantly and failing to play well against crappy teams (again).
Who is in charge of the players?

Who controls the lineup?

Who's job is it to use the talent given to it's best advantage?

Who's job is it to control the style of play of the team?

Who is in the clubhouse telling the players what needs to be done?

Deadguy
08-05-2004, 11:33 PM
Wouldn't it be more fair to place the blame on the injuries instead of KW? Injuries are a part of the game, and should not be factored in as far as giving slack to a GM. He should have enough foresight to prepare backup plans if certain situations come to fruition, and so far all we've seen are laughably desperate moves at landing Everett and Alomar, in an attempt to replace the loss of Thomas and Magglio.

This guy inherited a 95 win team, and we've since gone 3 years (more than likely 4 years, now), without a postseason appearance, in one of the worst divisions in baseball. That sound I hear in the background is the rest of MLB collectively laughing their ***** off at us.

KW is aggressive, but almost to a fault. He makes good moves and bad moves, and in the end, they can be assessed as a wash, with the negative being a depleted farm system. This leaves us in the unenviable position of having to go outside the organization, and throw money at hired guns, in order to remain competitive, which is undesirable considering the financial resources he has at his discretion.

KW has had 4 years to make some noise, and the bottom line is that he has failed. I don't care if it's the result of bad luck or simply poor maneuvering. The end result is enough to have the collective Sox nation hang their heads in shame, and demand that someone's head should roll as a result. That man is the arrogant and egotistical KW.

MONEYBALL21
08-06-2004, 02:33 AM

Look at all those misakes made, Uribe for Miles(we can finnally see why the Rockies traded him) Valentin(he's a left handed Sammy Sosa with less power) the Catchers, why Sandy Alomar? WHY? And we could have young stud pitcher Joe Blanton ready to go but instead KW decided to take Royce fn Ring(who was traded for garbage Robbie Alomar) WE NEED A MONEYBALL GM!!!

CWSGuy406
08-06-2004, 03:07 AM
I agree that injuries have taken a toll, but eventually 'trying' isn't good enough. Kenny needs to build a team with good depth, good pitching, and good defense, along with a good attitude. We're a quarter of the way there.

skobabe8
08-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Look at all those misakes made, Uribe for Miles(we can finnally see why the Rockies traded him) Valentin(he's a left handed Sammy Sosa with less power) the Catchers, why Sandy Alomar? WHY? And we could have young stud pitcher Joe Blanton ready to go but instead KW decided to take Royce fn Ring(who was traded for garbage Robbie Alomar) WE NEED A MONEYBALL GM!!!

I take the liberty of converting most of your posts to teal in my head. :smile: But feel free to do it on your own once in a while.

jabrch
08-06-2004, 05:17 AM
I take the liberty of converting most of your posts to teal in my head. :smile: But feel free to do it on your own once in a while.
I take the liberty to convert all of his posts to WHITE. They are better that way.

skobabe8
08-06-2004, 05:20 AM
I take the liberty to convert all of his posts to WHITE. They are better that way.

LMAO!!! I had to think about that one for a second. :D:

PorkChopExpress
08-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Who is in charge of the players?

Who controls the lineup?

Who's job is it to use the talent given to it's best advantage?

Who's job is it to control the style of play of the team?

Who is in the clubhouse telling the players what needs to be done?
Who's playing?

Who's in the lineup?

Who has the talent?

Who is supposed to play according to the style of the team?

Who's job is it to do what needs to be done?

There is one place where the blame lies, and it is not the injuries, not the manager, and not the GM.

OEO Magglio
08-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Look at all those misakes made, Uribe for Miles(we can finnally see why the Rockies traded him) Valentin(he's a left handed Sammy Sosa with less power) the Catchers, why Sandy Alomar? WHY? And we could have young stud pitcher Joe Blanton ready to go but instead KW decided to take Royce fn Ring(who was traded for garbage Robbie Alomar) WE NEED A MONEYBALL GM!!!OHH, Shut up already. I'm sure there is a billy beane worship board on the internet, go find one.