PDA

View Full Version : Predict the 2005 Sox

balboner
08-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Just for some fun during this depressing Sox period, lets try and guess the Sox team for next year.
sp-Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland, Diaz
rp-Shingo, Marte, Adkins, Cotts, Hasegawa, Alfonseca
c-Damien Miller, B. Davis
1b-Konerko
2b-Harris
SS-Guzman
3b-Crede
LF- Lee
CF-Rowand
RF- Everett
DH-Thomas

bench- Uribe, Borchard, R. Alomar

This team would cost approximately 67-70 million, which might be a little high. However, I think it's a possibility that it would be in this range. The main person who I don't want to see back on this team is Carl Everett. He's not a good fielding RF, and he's going to cost 4 million. I'd rather give Borchard or someone else a chance to win the job at a cheaper price.

MRKARNO
08-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Don't jump the gun on this discussion because we're going to have 6 months to do this type of stuff

SomebodyToldMe
08-05-2004, 10:08 PM
after today's trade for robbie, WHO KNOW'S WHAT KENNY MIGHT DO!?!

Offense/Defense
C. Sandy Alomar/Charles Johnson
1B. Paul Konerko/Greg Norton
2B. Roberto Alomar
3B. Herbert Perry
SS. Tony G.
LF. Carlos Lee
CF. Kenny Lofton
RF. Carl Everett
DH. Robin Ventura

Pitching Staff
Freddy Garcia
Mark Buehrle
David Wells
Jon Garland
Jose Contreras
Bartolo Colon
Shingo
"FLASH" Gordon
Scott Sullivan
Antonio Osuna
Rick White

balboner
08-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Don't jump the gun on this discussion because we're going to have 6 months to do this type of stuff
Ah, good point. Maybe the Sox will go out and sign 2 free agents like they did the whole offseason last year!!

Flight #24
08-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Rotation: Garcia-Buehrle-Contreras-Garland-Diaz/Cotts

Bullpen: Adkins-Cotts/Diaz (whoever's not a starter)-Marte-Shingo-Veteran-Veteran

2B: Alomar (backed up by Harris) - I think he'll be resigned cheaply
CF: Rowand
DH: Thomas
LF: Lee
RF: Everett (backed up by veteran / Catalonotto type)
1B: Konerko
3B: Crede
C: Burke/Davis
SS: Vizquel

Bench: Harris, Davis, Uribe, Timo, Vet OF (Cat), Gload

Frank the Tank
08-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Desired:

C: Jason Kendall
2B: Todd Walker
CF: Carlos Beltran
RF: Carl Everett
DH: Frank Thomas
1B: Paul Konerko
LF: Carlos Lee
SS: Juan Uribe
3B: Joe Crede

SP: Freddy Garcia
SP: Mark Buehrle
SP: Eric Milton
SP: Jose Contreras
SP: Jon Garland

Likely:

2B: Willie Harris
CF: Aaron Rowand
C: Burke

SP: ?

ma_deuce
08-05-2004, 11:02 PM
I predict the Sox will break my heart, like they have for the last four seasons. :whiner:

Whitesox029
08-05-2004, 11:02 PM
83-81, 3rd place

samram
08-05-2004, 11:04 PM
after today's trade for robbie, WHO KNOW'S WHAT KENNY MIGHT DO!?!

Offense/Defense
C. Sandy Alomar/Charles Johnson
1B. Paul Konerko/Greg Norton
2B. Roberto Alomar
3B. Herbert Perry
SS. Tony G.
LF. Carlos Lee
CF. Kenny Lofton
RF. Carl Everett
DH. Robin Ventura

Pitching Staff
Freddy Garcia
Mark Buehrle
David Wells
Jon Garland
Jose Contreras
Bartolo Colon
Shingo
"FLASH" Gordon
Scott Sullivan
Antonio Osuna
Rick White

You forgot Cal Eldred and Gary Glover.

DickAllen72
08-05-2004, 11:07 PM
1B Gload
2B Alomar/Harris
3B Makowiack
SS Uribe
LF Everett
CF Beltran
RF Rowand
C Kendall
DH Thomas

Garcia
Buehrle
Pavano
Contreras
Clement
Takatsu
Marte
Adkins
Cotts
Diaz

Huisj
08-05-2004, 11:09 PM
C-Matt Merullo
1B-Wil Cordero
2B-Fred Manrique
SS-Guillen names himself player-manager
3B-Chris Snopek
LF-Jeff Abbot
CF-Mike Deveraux
RF-Brian Simmons
DH-Steve Sax

SP-Tom Fordham, Carlos Castillo, Shawn Hillegas, Steve Rosenberg, John Snyder
RP-Bryan Ward (Mr Sideburn), Tim Fortungo, Brian Keyser, Donn Pall, Ken Patterson, Larry Thomas

We'll call it the Heritage of Crap campaign, but for short it'll just be called Heritage so it sounds like a good thing.

bafiarocks03
08-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Desired:

C: Jason Kendall
2B: Todd Walker
CF: Carlos Beltran

SP: Eric Milton

Likely:

2B: Willie Harris
CF: Aaron Rowand
C: Burke

SP: ?

I like the likely!!!:D: Just need maggs in RF!! And maybe Jose at SS...and willie and Juan share 2nd!!

RedPinStripes
08-05-2004, 11:38 PM
My prediction: Better then 2004.

Deadguy
08-05-2004, 11:41 PM
I would hope that either Lee or Konerko are moved. They are basically carbon copies of each other. Having one guy like this on the team is good. Having two guys like this creates log jams (financially and on the field) as well as a less than versatile squad. I would hope out of the two, Lee is kept, since he has proven to be the better athlete, the better defender, and less apt to fall into comas and disappear at months at time. Neither one has shown the ability to step up and become the type of franchise player that can singlehandley carry the team in the ilk of Thomas or Ordonez, but one is nice to have around as a spoke in the wheel.

skobabe8
08-05-2004, 11:55 PM
I predict the Sox will break my heart, like they have for the last four seasons. :whiner:

Took the words right outta my mouth.

OurBitchinMinny
08-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Id like to see them go after renteria. Id trade thomas while he still has some value. Id resign maggs and go get one more pticher. And solidfiying the bullpen couldnt hurt as we have one of the worst in baseball

jordan23ventura
08-06-2004, 01:09 AM
Id like to see them go after renteria. Id trade thomas while he still has some value. Id resign maggs and go get one more pticher. And solidfiying the bullpen couldnt hurt as we have one of the worst in baseballYou can't trade Thomas - he's the only guy consistenly on base. Resigning Maggs shouldn't be a priority as at some point this team needs to wake up and realize that they do not have that much money to spend on a right fielder, no matter who it is.

Areas of opportunity:
1. 1B: Konerko is in his contract year in 2005 and is putting up impressive numbers this year. I'd offer him up to NY in a "flash" for Gordon and a prospect - as long as Sexson doesn't end up in pinstripes. Hopefully Giambi is done.
2. 3B: Crede is a right handed power hitter with lots of potential still and above average defensively. We don't need another RH power hitter though. He can very well be a key part in a trade for another SP (revisit Sheets trade?) or a leadoff hitter (Crede + Honel/Sweeney OR Crede + Borchard + Cotts for Carl Crawford? Maybe more?)
3. SP: Jon Garland is still a key part of this team, but he will definately be shopped.
4. SS: Alomar should come cheap so we have a serviceable 2B of Alomar and Harris for virtually nothing. Uribe is the wildcard because he can move into 3B with an acquistion or take over SS. With Harris and Alomar, the UT infielder role is filled.
5. Bullpen: The only "sure bets" are Shingo and Marte. Lots of FA bullpen help will be available via free agency.

Free Agency: Guys like Derek Lowe, Orlando Hernandez, Matt Morris, Brad Radke, and Odalis Perez should be easier to obtain with Clement, Pedro, Pavano, Eric Milton and Millwood all free agents as well. Galus, Beltre, Kent, Cabrera, Varitek, Dye, Catalanatto, and Beltran are all available to name just a few.

Cowch44
08-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Id like to see them go after renteria. Id trade thomas while he still has some value. Id resign maggs and go get one more pticher. And solidfiying the bullpen couldnt hurt as we have one of the worst in baseball
I think our bullpen has(had) the 3rd best ERA in the AL, problem is the runs they do give up are more than likely costly.ie: when we lost 17-14 to Montreal, or opening day. Those both could have been pretty easy wins.

FightingBillini
08-06-2004, 03:08 AM
Rotation:
1.Buehrle
2.Garcia
3.Sheets, Pavano or Clement
4.Contreras
5.I guess Garland
(Is Johan Santan signed for next year?)

Lineup:
1.Snow
2.Hairston, Jr.
3.Glaus
SS Cabrera
LF Lee
CF Beltran or Rowand - Keep Rowand, sign either Maggs or Beltran
RF Rowand or Magglio
C Kendall - Pirates will pick up a big chunk , otherwise Zaun or Schnieder
DH Frank

Bench:
Hollandsworth
Ventura
Gload
Uribe
Davis

Cowch44
08-06-2004, 04:31 AM
Rotation:
1.Buehrle
2.Garcia
3.Sheets, Pavano or Clement
4.Contreras
5.I guess Garland
(Is Johan Santan signed for next year?)....if KW doesn't sign atleast one GOOD starting pitcher I'm gonna be pissed.
Out of those I think I'd like to see Clement the most. I don't like the guy but he's pretty good.:smile:

ChiSoxBobette
08-06-2004, 07:23 AM
Just for some fun during this depressing Sox period, lets try and guess the Sox team for next year.
1b-Konerko
2b-Harris
SS-Guzman
3b-Crede
LF- Lee
CF-Rowand
RF- Everett
DH-Thomas

This team would cost approximately 67-70 million, which might be a little high. However, I think it's a possibility that it would be in this range. The main person who I don't want to see back on this team is Carl Everett. He's not a good fielding RF, and he's going to cost 4 million. I'd rather give Borchard or someone else a chance to win the job at a cheaper price.
Alfonseca (are you high) Get rid of Garland he's never going to be what we thought he should be(if they get the chance to dump him and if its left up to Ozzie Judy is gone)Get rid of Harris- can't hit lefty's, Sign Maggs

joeynach
08-06-2004, 09:49 AM
1b-Konerko
2b-Harris
SS-Guzman
3b-Crede
LF- Lee
CF-Rowand
RF- Everett
DH-Thomas

Listen man lets just hope that all the starter we have now that are hitting under .260 are no longer with us or commited to bench players next year. That mean crede, uribe, harris, jose, alomar should not be starters in this lineup or off the team.

bobj4400
08-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Only the last 4?

Flight #24
08-06-2004, 11:09 AM
....if KW doesn't sign atleast one GOOD starting pitcher I'm gonna be pissed.
Out of those I think I'd like to see Clement the most. I don't like the guy but he's pretty good.:smile:
Get ready to be pissed, but with Garcia-Buehrle-Contreras, and Garland as a pretty godo # 4 or 5 pitcher, I dont' think you'll see big money spent for a guy who'll be a back of the rotation starter. There are much better ways to use that money. Outside of the Cubs and maybe 1-2 othe teams, there aren't many 4 or 5 starters better than Jon anyway. The problem here is that people keep expecting him to be a #2 when he's not.

SOXSINCE'70
08-06-2004, 12:10 PM
C-Matt Merullo
1B-Wil Cordero
2B-Fred Manrique
3B-Chris Snopek
LF-Jeff Abbot
CF-Mike Deveraux
RF-Brian Simmons
DH-Steve Sax

RP-Bryan Ward (Mr Sideburn), Tim Fortungo, Brian Keyser, Donn Pall, Ken Patterson, Larry Thomas

We'll call it the Heritage of Crap campaign, but for short it'll just be called Heritage so it sounds like a good thing.
Best laugh i've had in the past 2 weeks.Bring back Ed Farmer,Stan Bahnsen,Terry Forster and Rich (he wasn't "Goose" in 1972) Gossage and you've got my vote.:D: :D: :D:

he_gone_89
08-06-2004, 02:37 PM
C-Matt Merullo
1B-Wil Cordero
2B-Fred Manrique
3B-Chris Snopek
LF-Jeff Abbot
CF-Mike Deveraux
RF-Brian Simmons
DH-Steve Sax

please tell me you forgot to put all of this in teal,right?