PDA

View Full Version : Back to back winning seasons!?!


Fisk Fan
10-01-2001, 02:11 PM
Does anyone know the last time the Sox had back-to-back winning seasons? I am hearing rumors that we have not done that since 1933. Is this correct or another Flubbie Fantasy?

Randar68
10-01-2001, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know the last time the Six had back-to-back winning seasons? I am hearing rumors that we have not done that since 1933. Is this correct or another Flubbie Fantasy?

Flubby fantasy. 1993-94 were back-to-back winning seasons.

Fisk Fan
10-01-2001, 03:42 PM
Is there a possibility that the '94 season does not count since it was a strike-shortened season? I do not have the stats at my fingertips so I rely on you!!

cheeses_h_rice
10-01-2001, 03:51 PM
They were scorching hot in '94, but I don't think the purists would count that season.

Here are their records going back to their beginning...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/

As you can see, from '90-'93 they were above .500. Add in '94, and you have 5 straight seasons.

The Flubbies, on the other hand, are now in their 6th winning season in almost 30 years. Break out the champagne!

Randar68
10-01-2001, 03:52 PM
Is there a possibility that the '94 season does not count since it was a strike-shortened season? I do not have the stats at my fingertips so I rely on you!!


Well, the personal stats from each player still counted, so anyone trying to discount that season for lack of a WS is simply attempting to paint the Sox in a bad light....

Nellie_Fox
10-01-2001, 03:54 PM
The White Sox of my youth were over .500 every year from 1951 to 1967.
'51: 81-73
'52: 81-73
'53: 89-65
'54: 94-60
'55: 91-53
'56: 85-69
'57: 90-54
'58: 82-72
'59: 94-60
'60: 87-67
'61: 86-76
'62: 85-77
'63: 94-68
'64: 98-64
'65: 95-67
'66: 83-79
'67: 89-73

I don't think the Cubs ever had a run like that.

oldcomiskey
10-01-2001, 04:05 PM
we have had several times when we had back to back 500 seasons--more than I can say for the Cubs

Fisk Fan
10-01-2001, 04:06 PM
Thank you cheeses! I knew I could count on the most intelligent baseball fans on the planet!! You guys are the best!

Moses_Scurry
10-01-2001, 04:10 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe that the White Sox had winning seasons every year between '90 and '94. For awhile they had either Major League Baseball's best record or the American League's best record during the '90's. Then they stunk up the joint after the strike was over.

Fisk Fan
10-01-2001, 04:50 PM
I was just reminded of where the statement originally came from regarding the Sox and their back-to-back slump. ESPN Radio, on their National Broadcast, said that this was the first time the White Sox have had back-to-back winning seasons since 1933.

As a result of that reminder, I called ESPN Radio in Chicago and they told me that they would issue an apology on the air and formally retract the statement. If you have nothing else to do, please call them and complain about their mistake. The number is 312 - 332 - 3776.

This is yet another in the list of media debacles that make the Sox out to be a crappy club, etc..

FarWestChicago
10-01-2001, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Fisk Fan
I was just reminded of where the statement originally came from regarding the Sox and their back-to-back slump. ESPN Radio, on their National Broadcast, said that this was the first time the White Sox have had back-to-back winning seasons since 1933.
And to htink there are actually people who DON'T think ESPN has it in for the Sox.

GASHWOUND
10-01-2001, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
And to htink there are actually people who DON'T think ESPN has it in for the Sox.

What are you talkin' about West? The other day on SC instead of giving the Sox score at their usual time...57 past the hour, they gave the Sox score at 55 past the hour. You know you are in their good graces when your highlights are never shown...ESPN...The "fair" network.

Daver
10-01-2001, 05:24 PM
I guess I'm out of the loop on this one,the only time I watch ESPN anymore(since the lost NASCAR racing)is early Sunday mornings for ESPN Outdoors.Must see TV as far as I am concerned,next time your wondering what to watch at 6:00 AM on a Sunday you know where to go.

GASHWOUND
10-01-2001, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by daver
I guess I'm out of the loop on this one,the only time I watch ESPN anymore(since the lost NASCAR racing)is early Sunday mornings for ESPN Outdoors.Must see TV as far as I am concerned,next time your wondering what to watch at 6:00 AM on a Sunday you know where to go.

Uhhh...thanks, I think. Any hot chicks on that show?

KempersRS
10-01-2001, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND


What are you talkin' about West? The other day on SC instead of giving the Sox score at their usual time...57 past the hour, they gave the Sox score at 55 past the hour. You know you are in their good graces when your highlights are never shown...ESPN...The "fair" network.

At this point of the season, the records where they are, I wouldn't put the Sox-Royals game at the top of the show either. Last year we were screwed, but this year it is understandable.

Daver
10-01-2001, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND


Uhhh...thanks, I think. Any hot chicks on that show?

No not really,some good looking fish though.

Spiff
10-01-2001, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by daver
I guess I'm out of the loop on this one,the only time I watch ESPN anymore(since the lost NASCAR racing)is early Sunday mornings for ESPN Outdoors.Must see TV as far as I am concerned,next time your wondering what to watch at 6:00 AM on a Sunday you know where to go.

I've watched that a few times, it's really not that bad. The fishing anyway. Tommy Sanders and an old baseball player I forgot his name.

Daver
10-01-2001, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00


I've watched that a few times, it's really not that bad. The fishing anyway. Tommy Sanders and an old baseball player I forgot his name.

There are a lot of former athletes that appear on the show,Jay Novacek is probably the most regular.

Spiff
10-01-2001, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by daver


There are a lot of former athletes that appear on the show,Jay Novacek is probably the most regular.

Ah yeah I've seen Novacek on there before I think but I dunno who I'm thinking of.

Daver
10-01-2001, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00


Ah yeah I've seen Novacek on there before I think but I dunno who I'm thinking of.

You might be thinking of George Brett,he has been on the show more than once also.Larry Csonka is also a semi regular.

Spiff
10-01-2001, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by daver


You might be thinking of George Brett,he has been on the show more than once also.Larry Csonka is also a semi regular.

I think you're right, it was probably George Brett.

GASHWOUND
10-01-2001, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS


At this point of the season, the records where they are, I wouldn't put the Sox-Royals game at the top of the show either. Last year we were screwed, but this year it is understandable.

No. I'm not complaining that they don't show the Sox-Royals highlights. Unless we're playing the Mariners or yanks, highlights are shown at end of the show 45% of the time..The other 55% they just show score only.