PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's game a true test

MRKARNO
08-05-2004, 05:24 PM
If the Sox still have any intentions of getting back in this thing, then they must win tonight. Minnesota ACTUALLY lost today for the first time in who knows when. The White Sox will go into this game knowing that they can begin to close the gap if they can take the rubber match with the Royals. A loss tonight shows that this team isn't hungry enough for this division. A win shows that they're not ready to give up quite yet. I know last night I said that I had thrown in the towel, but I think that was a little stronger than what I really felt. The Sox really do have a better chance than most teams in baseball who are 5.5 games back. I know we werent able to put together an extended win streak because of Blowenweis, but if we can put together a stretch of 10 or 12 games where we go 8-2 or 9-3, that would go a long way towards getting back in the race with the Twins upcoming opponents being very difficult foes. I guess there is no one to say that we can't return the favor back to the Twins and sweep them back and totally get back into the race. How awesome would that be? What I'm saying is that the season is not over, but we can no longer reasonably expect this team to win. It's going to be a battle if this team is up for it. If they lose tonight and show they don't care then this is all for naught, but if they win, then it's a whole different story. The Sox would also move up to 4 games back of the WC with a win.

Daver
08-05-2004, 05:25 PM
You already threw in the towel, remember?

Nard
08-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Maybe KW's inspirational monologue threw his spirits back into it.

I mean, that man can speak!

MRKARNO
08-05-2004, 05:29 PM
You already threw in the towel, remember? Quoting my post above, which you didn't read carefully enough, " I know last night I said that I had thrown in the towel, but I think that was a little stronger than what I really felt."

Plus people around here should know by now that I'm too much of an eternal optimist to truly throw in the towel.

RKMeibalane
08-05-2004, 05:31 PM
You already threw in the towel, remember?
He's trying to pull it back.

Daver
08-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Quoting my post above, which you didn't read carefully enough, " I know last night I said that I had thrown in the towel, but I think that was a little stronger than what I really felt."

Plus people around here should know by now that I'm too much of an eternal optimist to truly throw in the towel.
So you willingly admit to being a Pollyanna?

RKMeibalane
08-05-2004, 05:32 PM
LMAO!

MRKARNO
08-05-2004, 05:44 PM
I wouldn't exactly put it that way....

MONEYBALL21
08-05-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm worried that Grienkie might shut the Sox down. He's a young pitcher with a decent ERA, a good curve ball and guess what....they've never seen him before. They need a big game out of Garland.....

08-05-2004, 05:56 PM
No excuse for not winning tonight, especially if Sweeney is out of the line up again....We got to get that game back....we a have Cleveland with Buherle, Garcia and Contrares (I know I spelled it wrong) and Minn has Oakland, in Oakland, with Hudson and Mulder (Hudson is back)...Big weekend guys...Plus Victor Martinez, who kills the Sox pitching this year, pulled a Hamstring....

batmanZoSo
08-05-2004, 06:23 PM
If the Sox still have any intentions of getting back in this thing, then they must win tonight. Minnesota ACTUALLY lost today for the first time in who knows when. The White Sox will go into this game knowing that they can begin to close the gap if they can take the rubber match with the Royals. A loss tonight shows that this team isn't hungry enough for this division. A win shows that they're not ready to give up quite yet. I know last night I said that I had thrown in the towel, but I think that was a little stronger than what I really felt. The Sox really do have a better chance than most teams in baseball who are 5.5 games back. I know we werent able to put together an extended win streak because of Blowenweis, but if we can put together a stretch of 10 or 12 games where we go 8-2 or 9-3, that would go a long way towards getting back in the race with the Twins upcoming opponents being very difficult foes. I guess there is no one to say that we can't return the favor back to the Twins and sweep them back and totally get back into the race. How awesome would that be? What I'm saying is that the season is not over, but we can no longer reasonably expect this team to win. It's going to be a battle if this team is up for it. If they lose tonight and show they don't care (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=502,28180399,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,1) then this is all for naught, but if they win, then it's a whole different story. The Sox would also move up to 4 games back of the WC with a win.
Let's say we go 8-2. Minnesota's hot so the worst they're gonna go is 4-6. Most likely, they'll do better. Oakland isn't THAT good. Not to mention the odds are slim that we'll even go 8-2. We haven't done that all year to my knowledge.

Even if the above happens we're still at least two games out and the odds are slim that the two teams will have simultaneous hot/cold streaks again. Plus we've eaten up almost two weeks of the season.

Face it, this situation requires one of those miracle comebacks that people never forget and these guys are unbelievably not that kind of team.

Nard
08-05-2004, 06:36 PM
8-2?

4-6?

I thought there were 58 games left.

batmanZoSo
08-05-2004, 06:42 PM
8-2?

4-6?

I thought there were 58 games (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=161,28180399,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,1) left.
To come back requires a major hot streak on our part and a cold streak on Minnesota's. If the latter is ever going to happen it has to be right now because they're not gonna fade in September. Last year they just turned it on and ended up winning 91 games when all year they were on a pace for about .500.

Nard
08-05-2004, 06:45 PM
How about making up one game a week?

Not likely, I know, but I don't think it's all gotta be done within the next 10 games.

Mohoney
08-05-2004, 09:06 PM
This game is definitely an indictment of this entire organization. We just keep trotting Jon Garland out there, and he just keeps melting down.

When do we cut our losses with this guy? Trade him NOW while he still has value. Put him on waivers and see if anybody is interested.

Even if we DO go to the postseason, this guy will have to make a postseason start *shudder*.

MRKARNO
08-05-2004, 09:08 PM
This game is definitely an indictment of this entire organization. We just keep trotting Jon Garland out there, and he just keeps melting down.

When do we cut our losses with this guy? Trade him NOW while he still has value. Put him on waivers and see if anybody is interested.

Even if we DO go to the postseason, this guy will have to make a postseason start *shudder*.
Remember when we almost got JD Drew for Garland?