PDA

View Full Version : Sox in the Southern League top 20

Randar68
10-01-2001, 12:03 PM
Well, here is another one. A couple disappointments, Tim Hummel, Miguel Olivo, and Edwin Almonte all missed out here. Middle infielders there were several very good ones, so I can see Hummel missing out. Phelps was the only catcher on the list and he is DESTINED for 1B of LF, so Olivo was the best all-around catcher in the SL last year, IMO. The hillarious thing is Scott Chiasson making it. Almonte had better numbers in EVERY single department. They are basically the same age and Chiasson might even have more experience, so I was absolutely dumbfounded when Chiasson weighed in at #19 and Almonte was nowhere to be found.

5 JOE BORCHARD, of
Birmingham Barons (White Sox)
Borchard faced the most scrutiny of any Southern Leaguer after getting a record $5.3 million bonus as a 2000 first-round pick. Suffice it to say the former Stanford quarterback passed all tests by leading the loop in RBIs, placing second in hits and home runs, ranking third in runs and slugging percentage (.509), and finishing fifth in batting average.

"He's had a real consistent season," Shoemaker said. "He came into the season with high expectations and I feel he lived up to that. He's a switch-hitter who moves fluidly in the outfield. He seems to be a hard worker and is able to make adjustments."

Most managers rated Borchard as a solid four-tool player. Though his speed is not exceptional, he knows how to run the bases and gets good jumps on balls hit to center field. While he will be able to hit for average and power, a few skippers had concerns about the holes in his long swing.

8 DANNY WRIGHT, rhp
Like Neugebauer, Wright blossomed after previously battling control problems. He consistently reached the mid-90s with his heavy, moving fastball.

"He stayed strong through the eighth inning against us," Shoemaker said. "We had him clocked a couple of times at 95. He moved the ball around the strike zone and really showed he has a good idea about what he's doing out there."

Wright also has an above-average curveball with a sharp break and a decent changeup. He got better as the season progressed, topped by a three-start stretch in July that included 23 consecutive shutout innings with 26 strikeouts and five walks. That effort led to a promotion to Chicago.

13 MATT GUERRIER, rhp
After debuting in the Southern League as a reliever during the second half of 2000, Guerrier returned as a starter and continued his rapid development. He ranked among the league leaders in wins and ERA when he received a promotion to Triple-A at midseason.

A strikeout pitcher in the lower minors, Guerrier proved he could get hitters out without overpowering them. He kept his low-90s fastball and his slider down in the strike zone. His curveball also had a much sharper break than in previous years.

"He's a solid control type of pitcher," Shoemaker said. "You could tell with his ability to change speeds, his ability to throw the curveball and the location of his pitches that he will be very effective at higher levels."

Joel Perez
10-01-2001, 12:33 PM
Hey Randar...who led the SL in HR's this year if Joe came in #2?

Randar68
10-01-2001, 12:36 PM
Josh Phelps hit 31 to Joe's 27, but Hoover Met (Birmongham's home stadium) is cavernous and impeded some of Joe's power number in comparison to the rest of the league.

I'd also like to point out that a majority of players in the SL have been in full-season pro baseball for 3+ years. This is Joe's first full-season....

LongDistanceFan
10-01-2001, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Josh Phelps hit 31 to Joe's 27, but Hoover Met (Birmongham's home stadium) is cavernous and impeded some of Joe's power number in comparison to the rest of the league.

I'd also like to point out that a majority of players in the SL have been in full-season pro baseball for 3+ years. This is Joe's first full-season.... the "of" is HUGE with a lot of green from foul line to foul line........... that is why when i see 12 errors, i am not too concerned with it........ b/c of the field.

again great job randar

Joel Perez
10-01-2001, 12:56 PM
Next questions are these:

1) What's the age difference between Almonte and Chaisson, who is another Scrub, and

2) What DOES Almonte throw anyway that made him so tough in the SALLY?

Randar68
10-01-2001, 01:09 PM
1) What's the age difference between Almonte and Chaisson, who is another Scrub

Almonte is 24 and Chiasson is 24, Almonte about 8 months older.

2) What DOES Almonte throw anyway that made him so tough

He throws a 2 and 4 seam fastball in the low 90's and throws a change-up that has action like a splitter. He is a Keith Foulke clone.

Vsahajpal
10-01-2001, 01:12 PM
Chiasson turned 24 this past August, Almonte turns 25 in December.

Almonte throws a low 90's fastball, but his best pitch is a darting circle change.

According to Barons pitching coach, Curt Hasler, "He has a dynamic changeup. It's almost like it has a split-finger action. It's the best change I've seen since I stood behind Keith Foulke in spring training."

Vsahajpal
10-01-2001, 01:27 PM
The hillarious thing is Scott Chiasson making it. Almonte had better numbers in EVERY single department. They are basically the same age and Chiasson might even have more experience, so I was absolutely dumbfounded when Chiasson weighed in at #19 and Almonte was nowhere to be found.

Almonte: 1-4, 1.49 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 54 games, 36 saves, 66.1 IP, 16 BB, 62 K, 4 HR allowed, OPP BA: .228.

Chiasson: 3-4, 1.76 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, 52 games, 24 saves, 61.1 IP, 20 BB, 62 K, 2 HR allowed, OPP BA .192.

Chiasson was promoted to Iowa in August:

0-0, 2.25 ERA, 0.916 WHIP, 11 games, 10 saves, 12 IP, 0 BB, 14 K, 1 HR, OPP BA: .233.

Randar68
10-01-2001, 02:16 PM
OK, I exaggerated, but Almonte set a single season saves record for the Southern League, and had a better ERA with very similar numbers everywhere else. Chiasson's flat slider is hitable, but he did have outstanding numbers at AAA, but that's not what the list is about....

Anyways, they are very comparable.....

Vsahajpal
10-01-2001, 02:26 PM
Funny thing is, in December, I wanted the Cubs to select Miguel Olivo in the Rule V draft. They have a ridiculous dearth of catching prospects in the minors, and Olivo would've helped remedy that.

David Rawnsley rated Chiasson pretty highly before his season, which swayed my opinion a little, but obviously Chiasson's performance did the rest.

At least both of our clubs fleeced the great Billy Beane.

You think Guerrier will make the IL top 20 too?

Randar68
10-01-2001, 02:32 PM
They have a ridiculous dearth of catching prospects in the minors, and Olivo would've helped remedy that.

Well outside of Olivo, so do we. I mean, we drafted 1 of the top 5 catching prospects in the draft each of the last 2 years and failed to sign either. Good old money bags....

At least both of our clubs fleeced the great Billy Beane.

Well, Chad Bradford has been OK, but he's playing in the majors, so I guess that's still TDB...

You think Guerrier will make the IL top 20 too?

Hard to tell. Personally, I don't see him as anything more than a middle reliever, but he could be a competent 5th starter. IMO, if they feel they need to have a Sox pitcher on there, then he'll make it, otherwise it may be only Crede and depends on if Rowand will qualify...

Vsahajpal
10-01-2001, 02:41 PM
I think Zeringue was headed to LSU, unless the Sox offered him the same kind of money Honel got. They also had to slot Wyatt Allen and Ryan Wing, so they were kind of in a bind, fiscally speaking.

And after giving 5.3 million to Borchard, I can understand why they didn't give Richie 1st round money.

Nonetheless, I see your point. Fortunately, you did get Miguel Olivo in the Rule V.

I think Guerrier is the Sox version of Chiasson. I recall Chiasson was hitting 91-92 as a starter with a good slider, but started hitting the mid 90s consistently this year. I don't see why Guerrier can't do the same. He's got that projectable frame, similar to Chiasson 6'4 190. The only difference is that Chiasson throws a splitter and Guerrier throw's a curve (in addition to the fastball/slider).

Randar68
10-01-2001, 02:57 PM
I think Zeringue was headed to LSU, unless the Sox offered him the same kind of money Honel got. They also had to slot Wyatt Allen and Ryan Wing, so they were kind of in a bind, fiscally speaking.

The info I had on Jon was that he was looking for bonus in the 500,000-750,000 such as a sandwich pick and that just after the draft, I saw him paraphrased as saying he wanted to sign right away and play pro ball. Yeah, Richie wanted first round money in the 5th round, so I can understand that as well, but after suffering through MJ and Paul and seeing Olivo start the season slow, it was painfully obvious where our biggest organizational shortcomings were.....when management makes no attempt to correct that from the bottom up, it is ultimately frustrating....

LongDistanceFan
10-01-2001, 03:06 PM

The info I had on Jon was that he was looking for bonus in the 500,000-750,000 such as a sandwich pick and that just after the draft, I saw him paraphrased as saying he wanted to sign right away and play pro ball. Yeah, Richie wanted first round money in the 5th round, so I can understand that as well, but after suffering through MJ and Paul and seeing Olivo start the season slow, it was painfully obvious where our biggest organizational shortcomings were.....when management makes no attempt to correct that from the bottom up, it is ultimately frustrating.... he was looking for that kind of money and rumors had it that he was looking in the lower version os 500, 000. cheap compared to what kind of talent we were getting and the empty cupboard.

Vsahajpal
10-01-2001, 03:41 PM
My mistake. I was under the impression that he wanted a 7 figure bonus.

Any idea what Mattox wanted?

I know all about horrible management decisions. Did you read the opening to the top 20 SL prospect list?

"Managers agreed that the pitching was strong across the board this season. In addition to the seven hurlers ranked among the Top 20 Prospects, numerous other pitchers enjoyed significant success and could be headed for the big leagues.

Those receiving several positive citations included lefthander Steve Smyth (West Tenn) and righties Chris Booker (West Tenn and Chattanooga)"

Cubs traded Booker and another young pitcher to the Reds for Michael Tucker...

ugh

Damn, I really have to go to class. Talk to you soon, Randar.

Randar68
10-01-2001, 03:47 PM
Any idea what Mattox wanted?

He was rated anywhere from 16th best OF'er on down, so I'm only guessing, but he was likely looking for 3-400,000, which is still a bit for a 4th rounder, but not beyond reason. It's hard for me to imagine some of these kids turning down that money to get a start on their pro careers to only play 3 years of college ball and probably end up lower in the draft!

anyways, my point is that 1/5th of Borchard's bonus would have put both these kids in Sox uniforms. The top 5 rounds total this year still wouldn't have added up to Joe's bonus.....pretty poor committment to improving organizational depth and talent....

take it easy, V, btw, did I see you sneak in a question on ask BA last week???

Vsahajpal
10-01-2001, 11:37 PM
Along with Honel, the two guys I really like from the 2001 draft are Andy Gonzalez and Justin Dowdy. I was shocked Dowdy signed, in fact. The TeamOne guys were pretty high on the kid and surprised he slipped so low.

Yeah, I bug Callis a lot on AOL and he finally answered my question. I'm a little concerned with Montanez; I think he'll be moved to 3b after Kelton and Johnson's switch to the OF. His bat can handle the position, despite the average year at low A. We'll see.

LongDistanceFan
10-01-2001, 11:46 PM
Which prospects were you guys looking at from the draft?

For me, and all that i read, i wanted 3 palyers,
1. colt griffin
2. john vanbershton
3. mike jones.......

i am not too sold on prior .

Vsahajpal
10-01-2001, 11:54 PM
1. Mark Prior
1a. Mark Teixeira.

I wanted T-rex since the 2000 draft. Then I saw Prior pitch 3/23/01 in Tucson and it was an epiphany. 9 IP, 3 hits, 15 K, 0 BB. No Arizona runner advanced past first base. It was the greatest performance I'd ever seen live.

At one point, Prior struck out 87 batters and walked none in 56 innings pitched. He's just amazing.

I'm not sold on either Griffin or Jones. Griffin faced the Cubs short season A-ball affiliate Boise, and walked 5 batters in a row, before leaving after 2/3 of an inning. I think he ended the season with a 40.50 ERA.

Van Benschoten was drafted as a pitcher, despite the enormous offenseive numbers he put up. It was a great move. He was named the #1 prospect in his league this past week.

Randar68
10-02-2001, 07:58 AM
Along with Honel, the two guys I really like from the 2001 draft are Andy Gonzalez and Justin Dowdy. I was shocked Dowdy signed, in fact. The TeamOne guys were pretty high on the kid and surprised he slipped so low.

Yeah, I think Gonzalez and Honel have a ton of potential. I do think, that once the Sox pitching coaches correct some of Wyatt Allen's mechanical flaws and get him to throw from a consistent arm angle, that he will be one hell of a pitcher. I saw him in th CWS and he was outstanding, but I could see where the control concerns came from. Honel, great composure, great control, and throws his sharp knuckle-curve for strikes. The kid just knows how to pitch. When he adds about 20-40 pounds to his frame, he will have an explosive fastball consistently in the 95 mph range. He needs to continue to develop the change or a hard slider, but I'd rather not see our young pitchers throwing the slider. Gonzalez obviously had a great year in the Arizona League, and he rates out above average in all 5 tools, with exceptional potential in at minimum 3, probably 4. He threw 94-95 mph as a pitcher (Jason Dallaero), but can hit and prefers SS. His plate discipline grew and grew as the season progressed. He's so fluid for a kid 6'4". I too was surprised Dowdy signed, and he was a bargain. I am always very confident in the Sox ability to get top talent in the later rounds, as they have been remarkable in that department in the past 5 years, although their top 2 round picks have been somewhat questionable for the past 10 years or so... The Sox seem willing to meet higher round $$$ demands from pitchers but not from positional players, IMO, and that is why we have such a darth of positional prospects.

MOntanez really shocked me. He's had a tough year at the plate and in the field, and I was astounded when he didn't make the MWL's top 20 prospects list. I can see Gonzalez having similar difficulties transitioning to full-season ball next year, although he played year-round organized ball in the Dominican Republic as a kid and as a player/student at Florida Air Prep Acad. Gonzalez has trouble staying down on the ball, which appears to be Luis' biggest problem. I have heard anything from 3B to 2B for him, but his range isn't top notch, so 3B sounds more likely if he can put some more muscle on.....

LongDistanceFan
10-02-2001, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
1. Mark Prior
1a. Mark Teixeira.

I'm not sold on either Griffin or Jones. Griffin faced the Cubs short season A-ball affiliate Boise, and walked 5 batters in a row, before leaving after 2/3 of an inning. I think he ended the season with a 40.50 ERA.

Van Benschoten was drafted as a pitcher, despite the enormous offenseive numbers he put up. It was a great move. He was named the #1 prospect in his league this past week. what you said about john offense is why i liked him, i really didn't think he had that kind of pitching....... i would've been torn as to where to put him, either pitching or everyday player.

ref mark tex, his agent is scott boras so therefore i would've avoided him like a plague.

ref colt, he was a HS pitcher last yr, threw in the mid 90 and reach 100. This would've been his freshmen yr, prior was what a senior in college, so he is older, and more polish.

ref prior, i never heard this pitching performance. That was great and i may have to change my stand on him. I just couldn't believe all the hype of him, coming into the draft....... i guess it must be true............ damn. :)

LongDistanceFan
10-02-2001, 08:11 AM
what do you guys think of the pitching coach of FSU, he was credited for helping a lot of pitchers including hornel, among others. Do you think he can be a coach in the majors?

Iguana775
10-02-2001, 10:51 AM

He needs to continue to develop the change or a hard slider, but I'd rather not see our young pitchers throwing the slider.

i agree. the slider is one of the worst pitches on your arm. it is extremely hard on the elbow. if i was a pitcher, i would never throw it cause it could shorten my career. as i stated before, Nolan Ryan never threw it cause of the problems it gives your elbow.