PDA

View Full Version : cubbie backer trashes "fans" at Urinal

maurice
08-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Probably 38,000 of those guests are on cell phones [], and maybe 30,000 of them are talking to each other. And therein lies the problem, I think. Cell phone radiation is weakening Wrigley's infrastructure. It's also very irritating.

An example: On a recent Sunday my friend Carmen and I settled into our Wrigley seats to watch Kerry Wood pitch against the Milwaukee Brewers. We couldn't help but notice the guy in front of us with his son, maybe 5 or 6, who was much more intrigued by what various vendors had to offer than the ballgame. Childhood Obesity … what's that, a grunge band?

Finally, the man devised a ploy that captured Junior's attention: Cell phone activated, he climbed to his feet and began waving. Not the polite, this-is-part-of-my-job, barely discernible hand waggle of Queen Elizabeth or Pope John Paul, but a full-blown, arm-across-the-sky flail. Back and forth, like a juiced-up metronome. Junior was similarly exuberant. Arm these men with flashlights and pilots on final approach to O'Hare would have thought they were being diverted. . . .

"Hey, buddy, we're trying to watch the game here," I offered, friendly but firm.

He turned around and was neither apologetic nor confrontational. "I know, but my wife and daughter are at home and I want them to see us," he explained.

"Can't it wait till you get home? Won't they see you then?"

"They're taping us."

Ah, those precious family moments. "Martha, come see the tape of Dad and Junior making fools of themselves." And when you're done here, there are some really tall buildings downtown you might want to gape at.

The man to my left had paid no mind to this tableau and was equally oblivious to the game as he and his fellow captain of industry discussed . . . I don't know, pork bellies. Finally, inevitably, he tapped me on the arm. "What was the goat's first name?"

I stared at him blankly.

"You know, the goat responsible for the curse." . . .

I stared at him blankly. He gave me a condescending smile.

"I saw you guys keeping score, I thought you were diehard fans," he said. "I guess you're newcomers too?" . . .
Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-040804cubsmcgrath,1,4684378.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Uncle_Patrick
08-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Good article. I know a few Cubs fans that share the author's sentiments.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-05-2004, 06:24 PM
ROFLMAO! AHAHAH! :rolling:

C-Dawg
08-05-2004, 06:31 PM
"I saw you guys keeping score, I thought you were diehard fans," he said. "I guess you're newcomers too?" . . .

Heh heh, I was keeping score at a Cubs/Reds game a few years ago at the Urinal, and a guy behind me asked just what the heck I was writing in the little booklet I had. He'd never, ever heard of a fan keeping score. For all he knew, it was akin to the World War II Codebreakers or something.

RKMeibalane
08-05-2004, 06:36 PM
I still don't think anything can top the story that I heard. This guy I know decided to take his girlfriend to a Cubs, because she didn't believe his stories about the stupidity of Cubs fans.

The Cubs were playing the Phillies on this particular afternoon. The guy and his GF had seats along the third base line. A large group of people were seated directly in front of them. During the eighth inning, one of the people in the group turned to his friends and asked, "So, who are the Cubs playing today anyway?"

Wow. Just wow.

bigfoot
08-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Heh heh, I was keeping score at a Cubs/Reds game a few years ago at the Urinal, and a guy behind me asked just what the heck I was writing in the little booklet I had. He'd never, ever heard of a fan keeping score. For all he knew, it was akin to the World War II Codebreakers or something.
Did he work for the FBI?

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-05-2004, 08:18 PM
I still don't think anything can top the story that I heard. This guy I know decided to take his girlfriend to a Cubs, because she didn't believe his stories about the stupidity of Cubs fans.

The Cubs were playing the Phillies on this particular afternoon. The guy and his GF had seats along the third base line. A large group of people were seated directly in front of them. During the eighth inning, one of the people in the group turned to his friends and asked, "So, who are the Cubs playing today anyway?"

Wow. Just wow.
***** AGAIN! AAhahahaha

SOXintheBURGH
08-05-2004, 08:34 PM
oh wow....

i posted this story on my fantasy league board, they all got a kick out of it (the 5 sox fans that is, no response yet from the kool aid chuggers).