PDA

View Full Version : Cubs players vs. Chip & Steve

the_valenstache
08-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Proof that Cubs fans are the only people dumb enough to like these tag-team dorks:

(From the Tribune 8/5/04)

Motion denied

The Cubs players succeeded in getting TV cameras removed from the home clubhouse at Wrigley Field after complaining their space was being violated by the media. The ban went into effect after the All-Star break, and includes WGN-Ch. 9 and Fox Sports Net, the two stations that carry the bulk of their telecasts. But the players were shot down in a recent attempt to have TV broadcasters Chip Caray and Steve Stone removed from their charter flights. Upset over comments by Stone in response to Moises Alou's assertion that the two announcers were "too negative," players recently asked Cubs management to ban Caray and Stone from future flights, Cubs sources said. Management denied the request, and Stone and Caray will be allowed to fly with the team the rest of the season.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-040804cubsbits,1,4347519.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

Does anybody know details of the beef?

I find it all to be quite hilarious, especially with the mental image of Chip sitting in the back of the plane complaining to his wife that nobody likes him, while Stevie Stone is engrossed in a game of Yu-Gi-Oh on his Gameboy.

cheeses_h_rice
08-05-2004, 03:20 PM
The beef stems from whiny Moises Alou complaining about how Stone is constantly raving about the Cubs' great pitching while ignoring the offense that has kept them in some games. Stone countered on air with a comment to the effect of "If Moises is watching the broadcasts of the games, perhaps that's not the best thing to be doing during a game."

Boers and Bernstein just were going off on how whiny and pathetic some of the Cubs players are, complaining about the media. They pointed out that the Cubs are in a media market that WANTS to love and hype up their team. Boers called this team the most unlikable Cubs team ever.

the_valenstache
08-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Boers called this team the most unlikable Cubs team ever.

I'll second that, but, then again, I say that every year. :D:

samram
08-05-2004, 03:28 PM
The beef stems from whiny Moises Alou complaining about how Stone is constantly raving about the Cubs' great pitching while ignoring the offense that has kept them in some games. Stone countered on air with a comment to the effect of "If Moises is watching the broadcasts of the games, perhaps that's not the best thing to be doing during a game."

Boers and Bernstein just were going off on how whiny and pathetic some of the Cubs players are, complaining about the media. They pointed out that the Cubs are in a media market that WANTS to love and hype up their team. Boers called this team the most unlikable Cubs team ever.
I don't get to listen to B & B anymore, but it seems that they will always take the Cubs on when they deserve it. As for the unlikeability of the Cubs, I think it starts with Dusty and his tendency to dodge accountability for anything, usually by using his son as a shield. When you think about it, almost every player on that team has had some complaint about the fans or media this year. Alou with Stone, Sosa with the fans, Patterson with the fans, Hawkins and Prior with the media, and the list goes on.

Uncle_Patrick
08-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Boers and Bernstein just were going off on how whiny and pathetic some of the Cubs players are, complaining about the media. They pointed out that the Cubs are in a media market that WANTS to love and hype up their team. Boers called this team the most unlikable Cubs team ever.Truly, this Cubs team is very unlikeable. I know most of us White Sox fans are already prejudiced against them anyway, but take a step back and look at them. Several of the players have been very whiney (Prior, Sosa, Moises), others have been pretty unprofessional when things weren't going their way (Wood, LaTroy), or have been pretty hypocritical about the opposing team "showing them up" (Zambrano). And then Dusty comes in and says "I don't see a problem."

One thing I admired about Billy Koch (the only thing I admired about Billy Koch) was that he owned up to his mistakes. He didn't blame anyone. In general, the Sox have admitted their mistakes. Heck, even Schoenweiss admitted he was to blame for last night's debacle. These Cubs blame everyone else when things go bad. The announcers, the media, the fans, the umpires, all have been targets. The sad thing is, their fans don't call them on it, its really only the media (and Sox fans, but no one is listening to us), and the media is only calling them on it because guys like Hawkins and Alou have bad-mouthed them.

This team has not handled the pressure well this year. That's one reason why I feel that if they do make to the playoffs (and there is a good chance they will), they won't make the World Series.

the_valenstache
08-05-2004, 03:47 PM
These Cubs blame everyone else when things go bad. The announcers, the media, the fans, the umpires, all have been targets.
I intend to completely argue this viewpoint with many valid statements that will show that...

[Steve Bartman walks a goat through the post]

...I...uh...nevermind.
:rolleyes:

Viva Magglio
08-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Those of you old enough to remember may recall the time Sox players feuded with Harry Caray, among them Bill Melton.

Rocklive99
08-05-2004, 04:05 PM
From what I heard of it, it is basically what cheeses said. I heard B+B play a quote where Moises was mad cause Stone said that all the Cubs do is hit homeruns. Stone replied with the quote cheeses posted, about saying there's a problem with him watching the broadcasts during the games.

Uncle_Patrick
08-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Those of you old enough to remember may recall the time Sox players feuded with Harry Caray, among them Bill Melton.
Melton was talking about that on MJ&H last week. If I recall (as he stated to Danny Mac), his problem was that Harry and Jimmy got fans so riled up that his family was getting harassed. His wife got booed at a fashion show and his son got booed at little league game (or something like that). He also claimed that those guys were destroying the confidence of a lot of young players. I'm sure there is more to the story than that, though. Melton didn't want to dive into it too much.

Uncle_Patrick
08-05-2004, 04:12 PM
From what I heard of it, it is basically what cheeses said. I heard B+B play a quote where Moises was mad cause Stone said that all the Cubs do is hit homeruns. Stone replied with the quote cheeses posted, about saying there's a problem with him watching the broadcasts during the games.
The Sun-Times had an article on the whole situation about 2 weeks ago. One of the things Moises said was that the pitching gets so much attention because the broadcasters give no credit to the offense. The article stated that this type of tension is not uncommon (and I'm sure its not) as players' family members will watch broadcasts and report negative comments back to the players.

I thought Stone's reply to Moises's claims was classic.

Hangar18
08-05-2004, 05:31 PM

Boers & Bernstein are arguably the BEST radio Hosts on the air right now .....
theyre calling EVERYTHING as they see it, and Dare to differ from the rest of the backwater-cub-loving media. Stone has finally come back to being the Announcer he was when he first left. Hes very keen and analytical and the Whiny Cub Players are like that because
A: Flim-Flam Baker allows it
B: The Chicago Media is so enamored of the grand cub organization.

They made me LAUGH MY BUTT OFF today, when they talked about the Chicago Media, and said that 9 out of 10 journalists in this town "bend at the knee, and bow at the cub altar". Freaking Hilarious, and RIGHT ON THE MONEY. Mind you, these guys are dangerous, because theyre the only
ones in this town strong enough to Dissent during these times of Cubbie Camelot. Even our mayor, quietly and pointedly, lets everyone know that "if any of that happened at Soldier Field or UsCellular Field, this would be Front Page headlines" alluding to the fact that the Chicago Cub-Loving Media hides things to favor them.

One more thing about todays Cubune article .......... right at the end of the story, and seemingly out of context and having NOTHING to do with the rest of the story, a well placed KILEY-ISM was evidenced ....... "and the alderman today also released statistics showing crime in the wrigleyville area is down 6%" Who are they kidding? I see right thru that propoganda.
Totally something Murphy at the score would do. I hate the Backward Chicago Cub-Loving Media. :angry:

bigfoot
08-05-2004, 07:03 PM
I remember that Harry virtually ran Brian Downing out of town while Downing volunteered to become the Sox catcher, with a bad throwing arm and bad knee. The entire league knew about his ills and ran on him at will. Harry would hound Downing on a nightly basis and when he could leave town, he did. Only to become a very good hitter and above average left-fielder. And Harry went elsewhere, too. Or so I've been told.

MONEYBALL21
08-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Boers called this team the most unlikable Cubs team ever.
I know some Cub fans that were starting to dislike this team(until they got Nomahhhhhhhhhhhh) But it looks like they finally quit crying and started playing. I, like the majority of us, am hoping for another collapse like last year.

B A R T M A N