PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams supposedly very angry during conference call

cheeses_h_rice
08-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Boers and Bernstein said they're going to have tape of KW on a conf. call really riffing. It might have to do with the Hunter/Burke collision, as strange as that sounds.

DaveIsHere
08-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Let us know what the low-down is

ILL-INI S.Sider
08-05-2004, 02:50 PM
I just heard the same thing...I wonder what type of conference call this is?

harwar
08-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Boers and Bernstein said they're going to have tape of KW on a conf. call really riffing. It might have to do with the Hunter/Burke collision, as strange as that sounds.Well,if he was talking to those two bozos' then i understand.They are enough to make anyone angry.

cheeses_h_rice
08-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Well,if he was talking to those two bozos' then i understand.They are enough to make anyone angry.
B&B are the most tolerable hosts on the Score, bar none. I find Bernstein to be very, very funny.

CHISOXFAN13
08-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Well,if he was talking to those two bozos' then i understand.They are enough to make anyone angry.

He wasn't talking to them. Someone irked him with a question during a conference call.

DaveIsHere
08-05-2004, 03:39 PM
anything else on this yet?

OzzieBall2004
08-05-2004, 04:17 PM
He just said that the deal was done to give this offense a much needed spark. He wants to light a fire under them. He said he doesn't care if it takes watching Rudy, or Rocky or even some old Torri Hunter/Jamie Burke tapes to get motivated but they have to do it and they have to start doing it now. He didnt sound too pissed, just adamant and frustrated with the recent struggles.

wood28
08-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Mac Jurko & Harry just said that they would be playing the sound bites soon

Tekijawa
08-05-2004, 04:28 PM
He just said that the deal was done to give this offense a much needed spark. He wants to light a fire under them. He said he doesn't care if it takes watching Rudy, or Rocky or even some old Torri Hunter/Jamie Burke tapes to get motivated but they have to do it and they have to start doing it now. He didnt sound too pissed, just adamant and frustrated with the recent struggles.
At least he gets paid to watch them... I drop at least $30 a game to sit and be frustrated! He hasn't felt the pain that I do!

Rocky Soprano
08-05-2004, 04:31 PM
At least he gets paid to watch them... I drop at least $30 a game to sit and be frustrated! He hasn't felt the pain that I do!
Yup, Im sure being the General Manager of a underachiving team is not painful at all.

Tekijawa
08-05-2004, 04:32 PM
Yup, Im sure being the General Manager of a underachiving team is not painful at all.I'm sure over the past 4 years he's almost gotten used to it... And I can guarantee in that time that he has at least $7000 more than I do... Uncle Jerry has that money that I used to have...

habibharu
08-05-2004, 04:36 PM
B&B are the most tolerable hosts on the Score, bar none. I find Bernstein to be very, very funny. boers and bernsie kick ass. HEYY BUDDDYYY!

cheeses_h_rice
08-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Mike North hasn't played much from this, unfortunately, but he did play a bit where KW said if he saw another home run swing with a guy on third base, he would throw up...

North was asking if KW was calling out the players and Ozzie, or just the players. Probably a little bit of both, but mostly the players...

batmanZoSo
08-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Mike North hasn't played much from this, unfortunately, but he did play a bit where KW said if he saw another home run swing with a guy on third base, he would throw up...

North was asking if KW was calling out the players and Ozzie, or just the players. Probably a little bit of both, but mostly the players...
I find it odd that we're still seeing that very thing. I mean doesn't anyone tell Crede and others to just take what the pitcher gives you? That doesn't seem like an uncorrectable problem. Just shorten up your goddamn swing. Or, if you really can't correct it, then this is the team you built, Kenny. Fix it.

ChiSoxBobette
08-05-2004, 04:40 PM

Lets face it Ozzie was stuck with this team I don't think a few of these players will be here next year and its not because they'll be FA's or anything like that they're just not the type of players Ozzie thinks can play the kind of baseball he wants to play.

StepsInSC
08-05-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm sure over the past 4 years he's almost gotten used to it... And I can guarantee in that time that he has at least $7000 more than I do... Uncle Jerry has that money that I used to have...
Well Sox fans havn't gotten used to it in almost 90 years, so I doubt that Kenny is used to it.

TornLabrum
08-05-2004, 06:00 PM
I find it odd that we're still seeing that very thing. I mean doesn't anyone tell Crede and others to just take what the pitcher gives you? That doesn't seem like an uncorrectable problem. Just shorten up your goddamn swing. Or, if you really can't correct it, then this is the team you built, Kenny. Fix it.
See this week's "Fallen Arches" column. These guys have an attention span of two games. Then they go right back to swinging for the ******* fences.

DickAllen72
08-05-2004, 06:04 PM
boers and bernsie kick ass. HEYY BUDDDYYY!

Boers and Bernstein suck. They act like a couple if immature little kids who get a kick out of saying words like "pee-pee" on the radio. They giggle like a couple of school girls at their own "jokes."

They're the worst. I can't listen to them for more than a couple of minutes at a time. The only time I turn them on is when I want to hear if there is any breaking news on the Sox and ESPN has their national programming on.

RKMeibalane
08-05-2004, 06:05 PM
:KW

"My players are nothing more than a bunch of bitches and mother****ers!"

harwar
08-05-2004, 06:17 PM
B&B are the most tolerable hosts on the Score, bar none. I find Bernstein to be very, very funny.I guess i'm just getting old.
My nephew used to watch "beavis & butthead" and the 2 score guys in question remind me of hearing that program from the next room.
It seems to me that they try too hard to be funny and that most of the time they just are just acting silly,which is too bad because they are obviously both intelligent and articulate people.
Also,they don't talk enough about baseball,which is the only sport that i dearly love.
I have been hearing a new guy bouncing around filling in for hosts taking time off,can't recall his name but its an irish one(mully something) and he,unlike b&b really is funny without trying so hard.

cheeses_h_rice
08-05-2004, 06:56 PM
I guess i'm just getting old.
My nephew used to watch "beavis & butthead" and the 2 score guys in question remind me of hearing that program from the next room.
It seems to me that they try too hard to be funny and that most of the time they just are just acting silly,which is too bad because they are obviously both intelligent and articulate people.
Also,they don't talk enough about baseball,which is the only sport that i dearly love.
I have been hearing a new guy bouncing around filling in for hosts taking time off,can't recall his name but its an irish one(mully something) and he,unlike b&b really is funny without trying so hard.
Well, they are silly, no doubt, but so much of Chicago's sports scene IS silly. I love the way they drop in little snippets of Hawk, too: "spinmaster!", "stretch!", etc.

The guy you're talking about is Mike Mulligan, who writes for the Sun-Times. He's very good, and even-handed. I don't know if he'll ever get his own show, but he is good as a sidekick.

TornLabrum
08-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Well, they are silly, no doubt, but so much of Chicago's sports scene IS silly. I love the way they drop in little snippets of Hawk, too: "spinmaster!", "stretch!", etc.

The guy you're talking about is Mike Mulligan, who writes for the Sun-Times. He's very good, and even-handed. I don't know if he'll ever get his own show, but he is good as a sidekick.
He also knows a whole lot more about football than he does about baseball.

batmanZoSo
08-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Well, they are silly, no doubt, but so much of Chicago's sports scene IS silly. I love (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=10,28180399,whitesoxinteractive .com,0) the way they drop in little snippets of Hawk, too: "spinmaster!", "stretch!", etc.

That is great all the Hawk stuff they drop in, they crack me up big time. The newest thing is making fun of that early 90s thing he said: "the early 90s was a different era than...after the early 90s." Then you hear the loyal subject DJ go "yeah, yeah." You really wonder what he's talking about sometimes. And Bernstein had a good point that Hawk was misguided in being so mad about the Torii Hunter thing in which nobody got hurt but has no problem with Pete Rose knocking out Ray Fosse for good in a meaningless All-Star game.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2004, 09:14 PM
The AP story on the Tribune says that Williams is 'extremely frustrated' over the play of the team and seems to place it squarely on the shoulders of the 25 guys.

"The players are the ones that are going to make us all succeed or fail," Williams said, defending his coaching staff. "Sometimes you've got to look in the mirror, and we are simply not getting it done on the field."

Just another little clue that if things don't turn out well a big shakeup is coming.

Lip

Cubbiesuck13
08-05-2004, 09:19 PM
The AP story on the Tribune says that Williams is 'extremely frustrated' over the play of the team and seems to place it squarely on the shoulders of the 25 guys.

"The players are the ones that are going to make us all succeed or fail," Williams said, defending his coaching staff. "Sometimes you've got to look in the mirror, and we are simply not getting it done on the field."

Just another little clue that if things don't turn out well a big shakeup is coming.

Lip

A big shakeup is what will be needed if they fail to come through yet again. I love these guys as much as anyone here, I can say good things about all of them, unfortunatly I can't call them a winner. I watched some of these guys in AA Birmingham and all the way up to the Sox and it would be very sad to see them go but something has to be done. I don't think that they should get rid of the entire core but they do need to evaluate who is making too much money and not coming through.

skobabe8
08-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Boers and Bernstein suck. They act like a couple if immature little kids who get a kick out of saying words like "pee-pee" on the radio. They giggle like a couple of school girls at their own "jokes."

They're the worst. I can't listen to them for more than a couple of minutes at a time. The only time I turn them on is when I want to hear if there is any breaking news on the Sox and ESPN has their national programming on.

DickAllen, you and I are always on the same page. B&B blow. I listen to them after I've checked every other dial on my radio, and that includes all of the channels on XM satellite. They go so far off topic sometimes, its unbearable.

BainesHOF
08-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Isn't it Ozzie's job to motivate the team?

By the way, just what exactly has Ozzie done for this team?

jordan23ventura
08-05-2004, 11:47 PM

There's no such thing as Cinderella stories. The starting lineup on the field right now can not match the Twins. They can not match Cleveland. And minus Lee, Rowand, and Paulie, they can't match Detroit. Motivation doesn't turn a Joe Borchard into a Joe DiMaggio.

Gimm
08-06-2004, 12:19 AM
.I have been hearing a new guy bouncing around filling in for hosts taking time off,can't recall his name but its an irish one(mully something) and he,unlike b&b really is funny without trying so hardAre you kidding me?! Bernstein is extremely bright and effortlessly funny - impressions and ad-libbing and all. He occasionally gets carried away with the juvenile humor, but I can live with that part of his job.

Hell, his MERCILESS and occasionally brilliant ripping of the Cubs should buy him infinite amount of good will with the Sox fans.

Gimm
08-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Motivation doesn't turn a Joe Borchard into a Joe DiMaggio.
Yes, but it can force guys like Joe Crede and Juan Uribe to become all-field/825 OPS hitters as opposed to pull/700 OPS ones.

Motivation and guidance can also squeeze sub-4.00 ERA seasons out of Garland and Diaz.

Before you know it...everybody is contributing to their best of their ability and the team is performing with maximum efficiency. That's how you win all those 1- and 2-run games and come through with 93-win seasons instead of 85 win seasons.

To say nothing of the fact that JR would be more willing to buy big-time talent at the deadline if he saw that the team had a great chance to win; 2002-2004 corpseball squads certainly didn't inspire any confidence on management's part.

Vernam
08-06-2004, 12:55 AM

North was asking if KW was calling out the players and Ozzie, or just the players. Probably a little bit of both, but mostly the players...I don't think Ozzie's interested in managing a three-run-homer kind of club. My sense is that he and Williams are ready to remake the team in Ozzie's image: Guys who actually bunt, hit-and-run, hit to RF, etc. I look for them to pick up a moderately high-profile player or two in the off-season who understands this type of baseball. A National Leaguer, maybe . . .

Trouble is, teams like that aren't built through trades or free agency. They're the result of a farm system that emphasizes fundamentals. Ask yourself how a guy with Willie Harris's physical build could reach the Show without a clue about bunting, stealing, etc. This is what Ozzie was getting at when he said he wants the Sox to play like the Twins. That series may be remembered as the point where the season imploded because Ozzie didn't rally his players, or it could be remembered as the point where his players lost respect for him. OR, it could be the beginning of true Ozzie ball. In time for 2005. :(:

VC

Win1ForMe
08-06-2004, 01:32 AM
I don't think Ozzie's interested in managing a three-run-homer kind of club. My sense is that he and Williams are ready to remake the team in Ozzie's image: Guys who actually bunt, hit-and-run, hit to RF, etc. I look for them to pick up a moderately high-profile player or two in the off-season who understands this type of baseball. A National Leaguer, maybe . . .
If Robbie performs relatively well for the rest of the season, I could really see us keeping him around for another year, maybe two. Provided he could get on base and his defense holds up, his intangibles and baseball IQ would give our team a good starting point for Ozzieball 2005. Willie has an impressive OBP, but his complete lack of any gap-power, inability to consistently steal bases, and failure in situational hitting really limit his effectiveness. Yeah, the OBP does look nice, however other weakness overshadow his strong points, and in the end he just isn't much of a good baseball player.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2004, 11:46 AM
More Ken Williams comments from today's papers:

"If you don't want it as bad as I do, don't you dare be surprised or act surprised when you are wearing a Siberia Polar Bear uniform," Williams said from his office in Chicago on Thursda y. "I don't want anyone giving any less than I believe it will take to get after this thing, or they are going to be looking for a new home.

"Here's the message to our players: Really, the bottom line is winning, still. Frank [Thomas] or no Frank, Magglio [Ordonez] or no Magglio, I expect to win this thing. Look at our schedule and you will see that we control our own fate. And isn't that where you want to be?"

Williams said the team needs to focus on what it has, not what it has lost.

"We still have good pitching," he said. "We still have high-average hitters. We have enough speed to manufacture runs. Fans here have been coming out and filling the ballpark. So they still believe in us. So it is time to get over it and it's time to get after it."

My personal opinion is that Ken's whistling past the graveyard.

Lip

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-06-2004, 12:14 PM
If Robbie performs relatively well for the rest of the season, I could really see us keeping him around for another year, maybe two. Provided he could get on base and his defense holds up, his intangibles and baseball IQ would give our team a good starting point for Ozzieball 2005. Willie has an impressive OBP, but his complete lack of any gap-power, inability to consistently steal bases, and failure in situational hitting really limit his effectiveness. Yeah, the OBP does look nice, however other weakness overshadow his strong points, and in the end he just isn't much of a good baseball player.
Do you really believe Harris has been given a fair chance? 2nd base, bench, center field, bench, 2nd base, leadoff, bench, #9 hitter........

Put the guy at 2nd for the rest of the year and leave him there.

Huisj
08-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Do you really believe Harris has been given a fair chance? 2nd base, bench, center field, bench, 2nd base, leadoff, bench, #9 hitter........

that won't happen for sure now with alomar here.

SoxxoS
08-06-2004, 12:58 PM

When you aren't very good, these are the things that tend to happen. He was playing 2nd consistantly at the beginning of the season...then he had about a 2 week stretch where he went 1-50. Notice he started to move around right then.

bobj4400
08-06-2004, 01:00 PM

He instituted 'Ozzie Ball: It's an Attitude.'

meh.

Fungo
08-06-2004, 01:06 PM
He instituted 'Ozzie Ball: It's an Attitude.'

meh.
Ozzieball: It's a farce.

I wish some of these players had Williams passion to win.

LASOXFAN
08-06-2004, 02:23 PM
I wish some of these players had Williams passion to win.
I'm with you. That's what's killed Kenny for the last three years - no heart. I don't know where it comes from since Ozzie certainly hasn't made a difference. I think they need to revamp, go out and get some guys who wouldn't give a s*** if Hunter's play was good baseball or not, they'd knock him down out of spite and pride, not let the twins come into their house, bitch slap them and leave. I'm still not over that.

Fungo
08-06-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm with you. That's what's killed Kenny for the last three years - no heart. I don't know where it comes from since Ozzie certainly hasn't made a difference. I think they need to revamp, go out and get some guys who wouldn't give a s*** if Hunter's play was good baseball or not, they'd knock him down out of spite and pride, not let the twins come into their house, bitch slap them and leave. I'm still not over that.That play & the lack of retaliation, has sucked the life right our of this team.