PDA

View Full Version : Olerud a success for the Yankees...

Aidan
08-05-2004, 01:28 PM
In only 2 games with the Yankees (yesterday and today), Old Man Olerud is 4 for 7 with 3 singles, a double, and 4 RBIs. He has also made a couple stellar defensive plays at 1st base.

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

brewcrew/chisox
08-05-2004, 01:49 PM
agreed. It seems as if the Sox should have taken a chance on the guy. However, with the lineup that the Yanks have, pitchers are more prone to pitch strikes to him, giving him more opportunity swing at fastballs. Then again, he's catching up to those fatballs isn't he?

the_valenstache
08-05-2004, 02:19 PM
I posted this in the Yankees' game thread from last night, and feel the same/too lazy to reword:

Olerud would have been the ultimate last ditch effort, that - unless he somehow re-energized our entire lineup and led some sort of magical playoff charge (which, I don't think anyone in their right minds thinks he's capable of at this point in his 74-year career) - would be a waste of money and a roster spot that we'd be better off filling with a developing player if we hit the skids entirely (I'm still blindly optimistic, though.)

The Yankees have a lineup FULL of impact players; Olerud, at best, will be a casual contributor. We already have a roster of casual contributors, and KW seems intent on clogging it up with more (err...I mean...welcome back, Carl and Robbie!)

And, unless you're still living in last year, we have a pretty solid guy at 1B right now.

Jjav829
08-05-2004, 02:21 PM
Can we let him have more than 2 good games before we start saying that he would have been the savior for the Sox?

CHISOXFAN13
08-05-2004, 02:33 PM
I get tired of the constant posts of, "we should have picked up thios guy, that guy."

Last time I checked, there are 29 other teams in MLB. The Sox can't pick up everybody.

Aidan
08-05-2004, 02:44 PM
I posted this in the Yankees' game thread from last night, and feel the same/too lazy to reword:

The Yankees have a lineup FULL of impact players; Olerud, at best, will be a casual contributor. We already have a roster of casual contributors, and KW seems intent on clogging it up with more (err...I mean...welcome back, Carl and Robbie!)

And, unless you're still living in last year, we have a pretty solid guy at 1B right now.We would have used Olerud as a DH with Everett in RF.

the_valenstache
08-05-2004, 02:51 PM
We would have used Olerud as a DH with Everett in RF.
And in hindsight - considering Carl's bad wheel - that would have been a bad move, resulting with us platooning two veterans at DH of all positions.

Aidan
08-05-2004, 03:19 PM
And in hindsight - considering Carl's bad wheel - that would have been a bad move, resulting with us platooning two veterans at DH of all positions.Carl can't be too bad. The Sox may use him in RF and Robbie Alomar as our DH tomorrow.

RKMeibalane
08-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Can we let him have more than 2 good games before we start saying that he would have been the savior for the Sox?
That's what I was going to say. Why do people place so much importance on small sample sizes?

zach23
08-05-2004, 04:56 PM
That's what I was going to say. Why do people place so much importance on small sample sizes?

This is the bad thing about fantasy leagues, a lot of people think real baseball runs the same way. Pick up guys that are hot and just dump them when they cool off.

Foulke You
08-05-2004, 05:58 PM
agreed. It seems as if the Sox should have taken a chance on the guy. However, with the lineup that the Yanks have, pitchers are more prone to pitch strikes to him, giving him more opportunity swing at fastballs. Then again, he's catching up to those fatballs isn't he?
Of course, you could say that Olerud would have seen his fair share of fastballs if you sandwiched him between Lee and Konerko or Konerko and Everett in our lineup. I would have taken a dice roll on Olerud because of the price but a leadoff hitter was a more pressing need. Given the choice between Robbie and Olerud, I think KW made the right one.

LauraJ14
08-06-2004, 11:39 AM
I get tired of the constant posts of, "we should have picked up thios guy, that guy."

Last time I checked, there are 29 other teams in MLB. The Sox can't pick up everybody.

When did the Sox pick up anybody, we just trade aways minor leaguers for the same players over and over again.