PDA

View Full Version : Schoenweis AND Garland could go?

oeo
08-05-2004, 12:40 PM
I read this on ProSportsDaily.com

Daily Herald columnist Scot Gregor (Scroll Down): "Don't be surprised if Garland and Schoeneweis both are cut loose, paving the way for Felix Diaz and Neal Cotts to step into the rotation next season."
Why Garland?

JRIG
08-05-2004, 12:41 PM
We'd have to non-tender him, but it would be the worst thing in the world. Garland would probably be more than $4 millon next year for pretty much league average pitching. I'm not sure about it, but it's a thought.

bafiarocks03
08-05-2004, 12:42 PM

Why Garland?

thats what im asking!!!!

The Cheat
08-05-2004, 12:50 PM
That's one mans opinion (scott Gregor) and it's getting picked up nationwide.

I doubt it will happen, and I can guarentee that Garland isn't non-tendered... It's more likely that if he doesn't end up on the southside, he's traded hopefully for a guy who can hit for contact with speed in the #2 hole, preferably a lefty, and it would help if he could play 3rd.

Win1ForMe
08-05-2004, 12:53 PM
We'd have to non-tender him, but it would be the worst thing in the world. Garland would probably be more than $4 millon next year for pretty much league average pitching. I'm not sure about it, but it's a thought.
I doubt we'd non-tender him, more likely trade him. He still has value to a higher payroll team at $4 M per.

I'm at least glad they're considering moving Garland.

fuzzy_patters
08-05-2004, 12:54 PM

I doubt it will happen, and I can guarentee that Garland isn't non-tendered... It's more likely that if he doesn't end up on the southside, he's traded hopefully for a guy who can hit for contact with speed in the #2 hole, preferably a lefty, and it would help if he could play 3rd.
I think you just described Chone Figgins.

Win1ForMe
08-05-2004, 12:55 PM

You know, Joe Randa will probably work cheap next year, and we could probably see some signs of life every now and then.

samram
08-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Put that in deep pink. With Glaus leaving, and Anaheim cutting payroll and probably trading players at other positions, I think he is their leadoff hitter for the future, and will play second or some OF position.

jeremyb1
08-05-2004, 02:02 PM

I'd be suprised to see Garland double his salary without any improvement just due to a nother year of service time. I guess we'll see though. I think if he can continue to put up an ERA in the mid 4s that's worth 3 million and maybe more due to his age.

ode to veeck
08-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Now that we finally figured out how to have at least a 4th decent starter, why would we go backwards from that to drop Garland ... another thread for the "lost in space" board

joeynach
08-05-2004, 02:53 PM
I'd be suprised to see Garland double his salary without any improvement just due to a nother year of service time. I guess we'll see though. I think if he can continue to put up an ERA in the mid 4s that's worth 3 million and maybe more due to his age.
Barr, i think Garland is on a 2mil salary this year. With his mediocre performance he doens't really deserve raise. He is not due arbitration as he hasn't been in the league long enough and probably doens't want to leave the sox. That being said they should extend his contract at the same salary for one more year, but add some incentives if he actually steps up and performs like he should.

Gimm
08-05-2004, 02:58 PM
. He is not due arbitration as he hasn't been in the league long enough .
This is Garland's 4th or 5th "full" season in the majors. He is arbitration eligible after 2004. Will probably make 3-4 Mill.

Sox might as well resign him for 4 years at 4 Mill and pray he reaches his potential early.

owensmouth
08-05-2004, 03:25 PM
You want Figgins? Prepare to send either Buehrle or Freddie.

batmanZoSo
08-05-2004, 03:29 PM
I want Chone on my team.

ChiSoxBobette
08-05-2004, 03:30 PM

Why Garland?
Garland = Cement Head! Please don't anyone tell me he's young. Garland has had 4 years to live up to all the potential he has and we've had nothing but the same thing 1 great pitched game then 3 disasters. He better go out there tonight and be Jon Garland and not Judy Garland!

Go White Sox!
Welcome Back Robby

habibharu
08-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Garland = Cement Head! Please don't anyone tell me he's young. Garland has had 4 years to live up to all the potential he has and we've had nothing but the same thing 1 great pitched game then 3 disasters. He better go out there tonight and be Jon Garland and not Judy Garland!

Go White Sox!
Welcome Back Robby http://images.ibsys.com/2003/1205/2686215_200X150.jpg=:jon get both outta town!

Corlose 15
08-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Exactly what has Neat Cotts done that inspires any confidence that he'll do well next year? He has a +6 era in the bullpen and has stunk it up everytime he's started. Pitching is important, why would we get rid of a solid #4 with potential(yeah, I'm sick of hearing about potential too) for two question marks?

Mohoney
08-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Exactly what has Neat Cotts done that inspires any confidence that he'll do well next year? He has a +6 era in the bullpen and has stunk it up everytime he's started. Pitching is important, why would we get rid of a solid #4 with potential(yeah, I'm sick of hearing about potential too) for two question marks?

It makes sense to trade Garland, but only if we get pitching back either through the trade, or by using Garland's money and possibly Valentin's money to sign a free agent.

If Garland and Neal Cotts could be packaged, could we land someone decent in the offseason? How much value do these two have?