PDA

View Full Version : Hangar18 & Everybody -- See the Trib's Editorial Today?

tebman
08-05-2004, 10:43 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0408050219aug05,1,5704893.story?coll=chi-newsopinion-hed

The link is to the editorial in today's Trib, in which the paper harumphs that they and the Cubs are not "in cahoots" to cover up any bad news about The Shrine.

Harumph, indeed!

- tebman

samram
08-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Well, that settles it, then!

miker
08-05-2004, 10:53 AM
To quote Shakespeare: "The Queen doth protest to much"

Baby Fisk
08-05-2004, 10:54 AM
"Move along people, nothing to see here... Pay no heed to the nets."

miker
08-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Hard Hat Day at the Urinal? Free to the first 10,000 "fans?"

Would it be in bad taste for the Sox to add a mention of falling concrete to their Us vs. Them TV ad?

bobj4400
08-05-2004, 11:00 AM
Of course the Tribune Co. wouldnt try and cover this up. How could anyone think otherwise??

cheeses_h_rice
08-05-2004, 11:01 AM
From the editorial:

Three pieces of concrete have fallen at Wrigley Field. No one has been hurt.
Oh, so I guess that minimizes the issue, then?

What if someone WAS hurt? What if someone was killed? It could so easily have happened, Cubune editorial writer.

The hubris and faux-outrage is unreal.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-05-2004, 11:07 AM
From the editorial:

Oh, so I guess that minimizes the issue, then?

What if someone WAS hurt? What if someone was killed? It could so easily have happened, Cubune editorial writer.

The hubris and faux-outrage is unreal.
The bible once said "It is evil to wish death upon your enemy"

So i guess im evil then!:redneck

cubhater
08-05-2004, 11:09 AM
:sahaf
Aha, the truth be told to the public. How dare Mayor Daley question the integrity of such an unbiased source of public information such as the beloved Tribune. Shame on him for trying to spin the truth. And Sadaam is still in power. Don't believe the American propaganda machine. The U.S. is full of lies, lies, LIES I tell you.

jackbrohamer
08-05-2004, 11:15 AM
The Cubune has a conflict-of-interest whenever it covers the Cubs. The editorial is a second layer of conflict-of-interest, an editorial defending it's own coverage of itself.

If you're keeping score of home, it's a conflict of a conflict of a conflict.

And a Traveshamockery on top of that!!!

Johnny Mostil
08-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Would it be in bad taste for the Sox to add a mention of falling concrete to their Us vs. Them TV ad?Yes.

Wealz
08-05-2004, 11:18 AM
From the Trib's 'editorial'

If the Cubs violate city laws, the mayor should address that as he would with any other owner of a major venue, no less and no more, no double standard.
If?? According to the Sun-Times they did. The above makes the lovable losers look all the more innocent.

Iguana775
08-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Yes.
so?

Johnny Mostil
08-05-2004, 12:36 PM
so?
Huh? The question was asked whether it would be in bad taste to advertise falling concrete. I gave my answer. Offer another one if you'd like, though I don't see what the Sox could possibly gain from such advertisements.

hsnterprize
08-05-2004, 12:50 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0408050219aug05,1,5704893.story?coll=chi-newsopinion-hed

The link is to the editorial in today's Trib, in which the paper harumphs that they and the Cubs are not "in cahoots" to cover up any bad news about The Shrine.

Harumph, indeed!

- tebman

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE RUBBLE IN THE NETS...THE GREAT TRIBUNE...HAS SPOKEN!!!!!

thepaulbowski
08-05-2004, 02:17 PM
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE RUBBLE IN THE NETS...THE GREAT TRIBUNE...HAS SPOKEN!!!!!
The nets add to the charm of the ballpark.

fquaye149
08-05-2004, 03:01 PM
To quote Shakespeare: "The Queen doth protest to much"
Mariotti doesn't write for the trib:D:

maurice
08-05-2004, 03:40 PM
This follows the general pattern of the previous articles:
- Placement: buried
- Tone: exceptionally pro-Urinal
- Content: fills the alloted space by wandering into an unrelated topic concerning City Hall
- Deceit: purports to be about the deadly conditions at the Urinal but talks about something else instead

Even the headline ("here's your editorial, mayor") is deceitful. Daley asked whether the Trib would write an editorial criticizing the dangerous conditions at the Urinal, because the Trib typically writes extremely harsh editorials criticizing allegedly dangerous conditions everywhere else. Instead, they write an editorial criticizing the Mayor and not the Urinal, and then put it under a headline indicating that they complied with his request.

Next, they'll turn around and use the deceitful nature of the articles as evidence that they're not biased: "See, we wrote an editorial about the danger at the Urinal! We're not biased! Our own editors say so!"

Hey ladies and gentlemen of the press, if you're not biased, why are you so damn defensive about the collapsing Urinal? I agree, Ms. Lipinski doth protest too much.

:giantsnail

Hangar18
08-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Freaking Brutal. The editors of Pravda are now working for the Cubune.

Johnny Mostil
08-05-2004, 05:14 PM
- Content: fills the alloted space by wandering into an unrelated topic concerning City Hall
- Deceit: purports to be about the deadly conditions at the Urinal but talks about something else instead

Even the headline ("here's your editorial, mayor") is deceitful. Daley asked whether the Trib would write an editorial criticizing the dangerous conditions at the Urinal, because the Trib typically writes extremely harsh editorials criticizing allegedly dangerous conditions everywhere else. Instead, they write an editorial criticizing the Mayor and not the Urinal, and then put it under a headline indicating that they complied with his request.

Next, they'll turn around and use the deceitful nature of the articles as evidence that they're not biased: "See, we wrote an editorial about the danger at the Urinal! We're not biased! Our own editors say so!"

Hey ladies and gentlemen of the press, if you're not biased, why are you so damn defensive about the collapsing Urinal? I agree, Ms. Lipinski doth protest too much.

Maurice, you ought to write this up as a letter to the editor. I don't know if it'd go anywhere, but it certainly gets to the nub of the matter better than I, and maybe a few other folks here, could have.

Baby Fisk
08-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Freaking Brutal. The editors of Pravda are now working for the Cubune.POTW! :rolling:
:cheers:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-05-2004, 07:49 PM

:giantsnailExcellent points. What an embarrassment to Chicago. Ann Marie "Beneath the Fold" Lipinski is doing a magnificent job making everyone at the Cubune look like complete fools the likes unseen since the days when Colonel McCormick was running the outfit.

What's next? Will Ann Marie get a scale and weigh how much more fair her paper is than anybody else's? Silly headlines like "Dewey defeats Truman?"

A sarcastic editorial only underscores how cheap, petty, and vindictive Lipinski and her cohorts truly are. I couldn't have written anything myself to better demonstrate how biased she and her outfit truly are.

Shame on you, Ann Marie. Go sit in the corner.

bobj4400
08-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Maurice, you ought to write this up as a letter to the editor. I don't know if it'd go anywhere, but it certainly gets to the nub of the matter better than I, and maybe a few other folks here, could have.
If you do send it to the editor, be sure to attach a picture of the giant snails...

maurice
08-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Today's Trib confirms that a letter to the editors was a waste of time. They ran three anti-Daley letters, and one letter indicating that the Trib did nothing wrong but that the ownership situaton creates the appearance of bias.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Today's Trib confirms that a letter to the editors was a waste of time. They ran three anti-Daley letters, and one letter indicating that the Trib did nothing wrong but that the ownership situaton creates the appearance of bias.Yep. I read those letters, too. I hold this up as yet another perfect example why writing letters to the editor is a giant waste of time. They don't publish your letter or they edit the living hell out of it. Meanwhile their 100-point font headlines on the front page tell the *real* story they want everyone to believe.

Writing to "Below the Fold" Lipinski is a giant waste of time. Her giant snails are working overtime to eat whatever you send her way.

Far better to write letters to businesses that advertise in the Cubune. Tell them you're ashamed of how petty, vindictive, and outrageous the Cubune's publisher and editors have been covering this story and the Cubs in general. Explain you're disappointed that their business spends advertising money reaching customers through the Cubune. Tell them the money they spend with the Cubune is having EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE EFFECT they intended to make a customer of you.

If it is a department store <cough!>Marshall Field's!<cough!> or a bank <cough!>BankOne/FirstChicago!<cough!> be sure to enclose a shredded statement they recently sent you for your account.

This will get your complaint far more attention.

:thumbsup: