PDA

View Full Version : Frank's contract

soxtalker
08-05-2004, 10:53 AM
What exactly is Frank's contract situation? IIRC, if he plays for us next year, his salary is $10M? Is that correct? However, I'm really trying to get at a bigger question -- what is the chance that he will walk? I know that he exercised his option this year, and that it didn't appear that there were a lot of alternatives out there for him (at the same salary). However, he was having a tremendous year so far (at least from OBP). Is there a chance that he would leave?

joeynach
08-05-2004, 10:57 AM
What exactly is Frank's contract situation? IIRC, if he plays for us next year, his salary is $10M? Is that correct? However, I'm really trying to get at a bigger question -- what is the chance that he will walk? I know that he exercised his option this year, and that it didn't appear that there were a lot of alternatives out there for him (at the same salary). However, he was having a tremendous year so far (at least from OBP). Is there a chance that he would leave?
Frank isn't going anywhere and i beleive his 2005 option is for 8 mil. Frank cant play 1st and there really ins't a market for a player who can only play in the AL and who can only DH and is really slow. He is going to be our DH until the end. The market for a Frank Thomas is almost non existant unless he would be willing to go somewhere else to play for a lot less than what his contract is giving him now. He will be back next year for 8 mil and 11 mil on 2006.

pinwheels3530
08-05-2004, 11:11 AM
I think Frank has a player option for 8 million or the Sox have a team option for 10 million.

OG4LIFE
08-05-2004, 11:19 AM
yep, the player option for 8 mil and club option for 10? or 11 mil is correct. frank will take the 8 mil option (thats significantly more then he would get from anyone else on the market), and expect the sox not to pick him up for 10-11, and try to resign him for about 5 mil (if he is still healthy and productive)

Deadguy
08-05-2004, 11:55 AM
yep, the player option for 8 mil and club option for 10? or 11 mil is correct. frank will take the 8 mil option (thats significantly more then he would get from anyone else on the market), and expect the sox not to pick him up for 10-11, and try to resign him for about 5 mil (if he is still healthy and productive)What the hell are you talking about? If a player picks up his option, that is the salary he will make in 2005. Frank would have to decline his player option for the Sox to decline the option at 10 million dollars. At that point, Thomas would then become a Free Agent.

In 2006, it jumps to a 10 million dollar player option for Thomas, and as 12 million team option. Same rules apply.

Flight #24
08-05-2004, 12:40 PM
What the hell are you talking about? If a player picks up his option, that is the salary he will make in 2005. Frank would have to decline his player option for the Sox to decline the option at 10 million dollars. At that point, Thomas would then become a Free Agent.

In 2006, it jumps to a 10 million dollar player option for Thomas, and as 12 million team option. Same rules apply.
IIRC, in the last year, the team has a buyout, but not before. So next year, if Frank wants to stay, he's here @ 8mil (which he'll do). For 2006, he can opt in for 10mil (which he'll do), and the team can then buy him out for 2 mil or so or pay him the 10. My guess is that at that point, they'll come to an agreement on an extension that keeps him in a ChiSox uni for a few more years at a 6-8mil/yr salary.

Deadguy
08-05-2004, 12:47 PM
IIRC, in the last year, the team has a buyout, but not before. So next year, if Frank wants to stay, he's here @ 8mil (which he'll do). For 2006, he can opt in for 10mil (which he'll do), and the team can then buy him out for 2 mil or so or pay him the 10. My guess is that at that point, they'll come to an agreement on an extension that keeps him in a ChiSox uni for a few more years at a 6-8mil/yr salary.
Yes, I had forgotten about the buyout (which is 3.5 million dollars). It would seem strange to excercise that buyout, and then sign him up for 2006 at around 6 million, since the sum of that and the buyout would nearly equal his player option.

There has been some talk behind the scenes that Tellum and Reinsdorf have been discussing a 4 year extension, after this season, which would null this current situation that forces Thomas and Williams (who hate each other), to play cat and mouse with each other after each of the next two seasons. That was before Thomas got injured though, and there was no word on what the details of the extension were. It remains clear that Reinsdorf is loyal to Thomas, and Thomas is loyal to the White Sox.

Flight #24
08-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Yes, I had forgotten about the buyout (which is 3.5 million dollars). It would seem strange to excercise that buyout, and then sign him up for 2006 at around 6 million, since the sum of that and the buyout would nearly equal his player option.

There has been some talk behind the scenes that Tellum and Reinsdorf have been discussing a 4 year extension, after this season, which would null this current situation that forces Thomas and Williams (who hate each other), to play cat and mouse with each other after each of the next two seasons. That was before Thomas got injured though, and there was no word on what the details of the extension were. It remains clear that Reinsdorf is loyal to Thomas, and Thomas is loyal to the White Sox.
What I meant was that instead of buying Frank out, they'd negotiate some extension. His options would basically be: take the buyout & go find another place to play, or sign the extension. I'd guess he'd do option b.