PDA

View Full Version : Putting Fans in the Seats

LongDistanceFan
10-01-2001, 01:38 AM
I remember when Big Frank was tearing it up, he was able to bring an excitement to the game. Do you think if the Sox were able to find another one, exciting player, would he or can he put fans in the seat.

All it takes is one player to ignite a talented young team.

CLR01
10-01-2001, 02:13 AM
"Hey thats what i am, and what i do. You didn't think the 22,000 average we had at every game was there to see the team, did you?"

:slowswing

Seriously though, who could you bring in outside of a pedro/clemens/a-rod type player that would put butts in the seats? No one from that group could even make a significant differance in the numbers. We have maggs, lee, foulke, kip, buehrle, and everyone else yet we still don't draw well. Adding one more superstar wont do much to boost attendance, the whole promoting of the sox has to be reworked in the front office. Maybe JR and co. should purchase the sun-times and pump out non-stop sox propaganda.

"NOOOOOOOO..."

:moron

RichieRichAllen
10-01-2001, 04:17 AM
[i]

Seriously though, who could you bring in outside of a pedro/clemens/a-rod type player that would put butts in the seats? No one from that group could even make a significant difference in the numbers. We have maggs, lee, foulke, kip, buehrle, and everyone else yet we still don't draw well. Adding one more superstar wont do much to boost attendance, the whole promoting of the sox has to be reworked in the front office. Maybe JR and co. should purchase the sun-times and pump out non-stop sox propaganda.

[/B]

LOL

I doubt a single or even a couple of big-name players could seriously help attendance. I think the answer is (which several have already mentioned)......

1) String together 2-3 years where we, at least, make it into the playoffs. Look where Cleveland's attendance used to be and what it's now become. If we get into the playoffs for a couple years and even contend after that, the park will be filled.

2) Bring in a new marketing team. Start up stuff that would appeal to a vast array of age groups and promote the hell out of it. Date nights (Buy one, get one ticket free or half price for your date), Senior nights (Half price if you're 60 plus), Giveaway promotions aimed at kids (stuff that kids would be interested in), Family nights (coupon books enabling you to get concession food at a bargain).........the list goes on. Hey, what the hell ever happened to bat day, anyway? Get these young kids coming out to park or we still might see this team sucking in the sun in Florida.

This current (marketing) team doesn't seem to get it. They think running these goofy commercials showing everybody having "fun" at good 'ol Comiskey is going to raise the bar on attendance. Think again, guys/ladies. And BTW, get rid of the voiceover with the marbles in his mouth. I'm sure you're looking for a "south side accent", but I think you could do better than that. I'd rather see voiceovers using ex-players who have since retired. Or even current players. Of course, I always laugh at the Magglio ad where he's holding a wagon in front of the ticket office, because he comes off as such a little boy in a big man's uniform. But I really would like to see more Sox players, past and present doing the commercials. Hey, Melton is available!

3) Get some bars and eating places in that neighborhood! Wouldn't it be great to come to the 35th Street area after work, head out for a meal or toss down a few and then walk over to the game? Hell, I wouldn't care if they put a Starbucks or veggie restaurant on a corner nearby. It might be great appeal for a whole new base of fans. After the game, you could head to the surrounding bars and bond with fellow Sox fans. Are zoning laws disapproving this? Is the Sox management disapproving this because it might cut into concessions at the park? Get a grip! You could easily make up for the lost concessions and more by packing people in the ballpark. And knowing Sox fans, I doubt beer sales would suffer a bit. (Of course, remember to drink responsibly and always have a designated driver handy;-)

4) Get some honest input from Sox fans (and even non-fans) why they don't like the park in it's current shape/form. Then, (duh!) make some changes. Do they do their focus groups in a vacuum? Nobody's asked me what I'd like to see changed. Anybody else out there been asked? And for chrissakes, drop the prices on the upper deck seats. You can raise them again after we've won a couple of championships.

5) I'm not sure how many online Sox interactive web sites there are out there comparable to this one (I can't imagine any). I ask the administrators...has anyone from the Sox approached you to set up a chat room where we could ask questions of the players from this site? Are there any Sox players who come here (anonymously, sure) but who actually post or give input on occasion? Seems to me if Konerko and the Sox players want to alienate fans with inside jokes, they might want to look within themselves a little. Give a little, get a lot. Don't ***** out by saying the site can be critical. If you don't like what's being said, let's talk. Hey Kenny! Show us your thick-skin, dude.

OK, I'm petered out. I could go on and on, but it's time to catch some zzzzzzzzzz's.

Thanks for listening.

Spiff
10-01-2001, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen
Are there any Sox players who come here (anonymously, sure) but who actually post or give input on occasion?

Well, we know Jerry at least posts here. It's amazing how he finds time in the middle of the game even!

Jerry_Manuel
10-01-2001, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
Well, we know Jerry at least posts here. It's amazing how he finds time in the middle of the game even!

:jerry
I just wanted to let you know that I don't care what the standings say we are still in this race. Say how about that catch by Carlos yesterday?

PaleHoseGeorge
10-01-2001, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by RichieRichAllen
I ask the administrators...has anyone from the Sox approached you to set up a chat room where we could ask questions of the players from this site? Are there any Sox players who come here (anonymously, sure) but who actually post or give input on occasion? Seems to me if Konerko and the Sox players want to alienate fans with inside jokes, they might want to look within themselves a little. Give a little, get a lot. Don't ***** out by saying the site can be critical. If you don't like what's being said, let's talk. Hey Kenny! Show us your thick-skin, dude.

The Sox have known of our existence almost from the beginning back in '98. We reintroduced the Soxogram message board a year before their marketing department did. The Sox and MLB have chosen to limit their internet presence to their own official site. There they can keep tidy control over everything that is written and said. If you're looking for official pap, nothing is better than whitesox.com. They hold player chats there but nothing of substance is ever discussed. We Sox Fans are supposed to be pollyannas in everything we say and do there.

On those occasions where I've bothered to contact Sox public relations, they've done their level-best to ignore me. Other people who've dealt with the Sox (including potential advertisers) have had similar experience dealing with the ballclub. They are thought of as uninspired and arrogant for good reason.

Nobody is really THAT surprised attendance is down given the boobs running the pop stand, are they?

Jerry_Manuel
10-01-2001, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Nobody is really THAT surprised attendance is down given the boobs running the pop stand, are they?

The number one boob is Rob Gallas.

PANFIRECRACKER
10-01-2001, 11:20 AM
In this town they will have to win the WS to receive recognition and recover the fan base. They are a good team with several potentially popular players as opposed to having a superstar or two and some also rans. They will have to win without management's help or inspite of it. JR won't pay for pitching so let's hope the young pitching matures at approximately the same time.