View Full Version : Random Thoughts 8/5/04

Hangar18
08-05-2004, 09:02 AM
This ones a Doozy folks. Had dinner last nite at Fado, the Irish place
downtown. Well the two girls I was with were big Sox Fans, and of course,
(mercifully I might add) all the SOX games were removed in favor of the Media
favored team up norths contest. While there, I noted a table over,
a guy was seemingly EXPLAINING the american game of baseball to a couple of
Irish tourists. Their conversation was going on and on, when I began to overhear Obvious flaws/mistakes/un-truths/myths being told to the Foreigner.

What got my goat (no pun intended) was the guy telling him what a great time
he was gonna have at The Shrine, and that he couldnt wait to take him to a game, theyre very popular, theyve had a great team for a long time ....etc.
I politely turned and told the guy that there was ANOTHER TEAM in the city,
called the WHITESOX. I told him that Weve been a Much Much better team
for a number of years, and that the other team has just now gotten good,
simply by Replacing their team with other teams players. I pointed out
the circumstances in how they arrived to play for other team, and that
our Hats look much better.

At that point, a Rockie got a hit scoring someone and I cheered loudly, to the chagrin of the flubby fan tour guide.
The Bartender asked if I was a SOX fan, I said heck yes... and He yelled out
YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD YESSSSS! we laughed and some other SOX fans, who were sitting nearby also ....chanted YESSS ..... all of us in
unison. I told the irish guy the SOX were indeed just as 'popular' in this
town, and its very hip and "underground" to go there, and he should consider going to a SOX game also. Told him he wouldnt risk being hit by falling concrete, or being shot outside at The Shrine.
Told him it was very TOURISTY
to go to flubb games and told him if he really wants to get a feel for Chicago
and what the People and general population is like, Comiskey is the place.

I told him it was very dangerous in the Wrigley area ........ at this point, the other teams fan said it was all "conjecture" and I was exaggerating all of that.
I showed him our hat, and the guy admitted it looked very "nice".
Whew .... I saved one person from believing what he was told from
another teams fan, (or at least hearing 2 sides of the story) he hheh

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Nice job Hangar.

You also could have added that the Sox are the favorite team of Chicago's South Side Irish. Although after last night's game, I'm sure there was plenty of drinking going on.... :angry:

SoxFan76
08-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Awesome story. And yeah, if he's Irish, he should be a Sox fan anyways.

Irishsox1
08-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Someday you're gonna run into one pissed off, drunk Cub fan with a beer bottle who's gonna get violent. These Cubs fans of today are not the loveable losers, the want to win this year and will not think twice about getting into a fight with a Sox fan. Not that I don't think you can't handle yourself in a bar fight, but the legal fight afterward is never worth it. I'm just saying pick your battles with Cubs fans and don't let it get violent.

Maximo
08-05-2004, 09:56 AM
A couple of Sundays ago.....I believe the Tigers were in town.....the local Elk's Club, here in our small town in SW Michigan, organized a bus trip to the Sox game. They have done so for the past several years; however, all previous trips had been to Wrigley Field.

Now, mind you, most of these folks are not huge baseball fans. They take the trip annually for the comraderie and the enjoyment of being at a ball park. Most of them had never set foot in Sox Park.

I was curious to hear their comments after they returned.......and to a person....they all responded that they thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. They commented on how clean it was....how user friendly....what a great atmosphere......the food.....you can just imagine all the comments.

Make a long story short....they are already planning next year's trip and have decided to return to Sox Park. In fact three of the younger females....God I wish I was 25 years younger, and single.......have already puchased tickets for an upcoming Sox game and vowed, "never to return to Wrigley Field again".

Needless to say, I was proud to be a Sox fan after listening to them.