PDA

View Full Version : White Sox still have chance to get Delgado...

Aidan
08-05-2004, 02:45 AM
http://010808074621704.baseball.sportsline.com/news/7548368
Carlos Delgado, 1B, Toronto: He said a few weeks ago that he has no plans to waive his no-trade clause, but you never know whether Delgado might change his mind this month, especially with many rumors suggesting heavy interest in his services. Both New York teams, the Chicago White Sox and Texas reportedly have inquired about a trade for the free agent-to-be, although a player with his talent might not be able to slip all the way through the waiver system.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2004, 02:50 AM
Does it even matter now?

Lip

Aidan
08-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Does it even matter now?

LipYes. As ugly as it is right now, we play Minnesota 6 more times in September.

jabrch
08-05-2004, 03:40 AM
Does it even matter now?

Lip
Lip, if you really thought it didn't matter, why bother following the team, or spending time posting here?

mcfish
08-05-2004, 03:57 AM
Lip, if you really thought it didn't matter, why bother following the team, or spending time posting here?Why does one have to believe that his team is going to go all the way in order to be a fan and follow a team? That acquistion really doesn't matter. What's Delgado going to do? 12 HR's a game? How would another slow power hitting first baseman help this team? Especially one hitting .221 with 16 HR's on the year? And making $19.7 Million. My goodness - Jose V.'s doing better than that for a quarter of the cost.

G__AB_R__H_2B_3B_HR_RBI_BB_SO_SB_CS_BA_OBP_SLG_OPS
73_272_39_60_12__0__16__48__35__75__0__0_.221_.322 _.441_.763

jabrch
08-05-2004, 04:09 AM
Why does one have to believe that his team is going to go all the way in order to be a fan and follow a team? You don't have to believe the team is going anywhere to be a fan and follow a team. But why spend so much time hanging at WSI if you are that convince that we are done with 58 games left in the year?

It's easy to be negative and to be a cynic. More often than not, you will be right. But I don't understand how some people can be so convinced that a season is over when there is so much ball left to be played, including 6 H2H games.

That acquistion really doesn't matter. What's Delgado going to do? 12 HR's a game?
I agree - I don't think Delgado adds much. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't matter if we make any more acquisitions.

ewokpelts
08-05-2004, 04:34 AM
If we can get him off waivers..and toronto pays his salary...why not...i wouldnt sign him for what he's getting(19 mil) OR what he's worth (really 9 or 10 a year)...he's an overpaid scrub that rejected a chance to play on a contender....and he could have raised his profile on the market.....i prefer he rots in toronto

Gene

kjhanson
08-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Delgado's last ten games: .343 (12/35) 5 home runs, 10 RBI.

He's owed just over 7 million dollars for the rest of the season.

gosox41
08-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Does it even matter now?

Lip
Lip,

I agree with you on this one. Why throw good money (prospects) into a losing cause. Unless someone knows of a miraculous recovery by Frank and Magglio were they will at least play the last 40-45 remaining games, there is no reason to think this team can win based on how they are playing now.

Its time Sox fans stop deluding themselves with emotion and think logically. It sucks. I hate giving up. I will still support this team and watch the games. But I don't think I was the first one to give up on the season. I think the players have. I'm just supporting their viewpoint now because if they don't believe they're going to win I'll 100% guarantee they won't.

Bob

hawkeyesrule
08-05-2004, 09:27 AM
He's owed a lot of money. Where does Delgado play?? Konerko is at 1st, and Everett is at DH. I know Carl could play RF, but my understanding is that he prefers DH because of his injuries.

JDP
08-05-2004, 09:31 AM
I know politics should perhaps not come into affect when acquiring a ballplayer, but would Delgado's 7th inning antics bother anyone?

Tekijawa
08-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Yes. As ugly as it is right now, we play Minnesota 6 more times in September.
Well, when we're 15 out by the end of next week and in 4th place we'll have a easier chance to get him. Then Kenny can give them the contracts to all the minor leaguers in our system and let DelGado walk at the end of the season, completeing his mission to take over a YOUNG Division winner with a highly touted farm system and.... well I'm just to upset to post the rest of today

WE SUCK

CubKilla
08-05-2004, 11:21 AM
he's an overpaid scrub that rejected a chance to play on a contender
Texas and the Yankees?

ewokpelts
08-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Texas and the Yankees?i was referring to the sox, buy he did reject them too...
Gene

Lip Man 1
08-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Jabrch:

Because I enjoy doing the interviews with past players and with members of the Chicago media.

Because I enjoy interacting with good fans, especially fans who have a sense of history and have a realistic view of things. Pale Hose George, Go Sox 41 and Dan H. immediately come to mind. (and there are others...)

And because I enjoy 'living in the past' and remembering things with other fans who also remember when the Sox owned Chicago, were in a pennant race seemingly every season, had players with national reputations, and had a winning season every year from 1951 through 1967. A far cry from today don't ya' think?

Outside of that you're right...I shouldn't be here at all.

Lip

JB98
08-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Lip,

I agree with you on this one. Why throw good money (prospects) into a losing cause. Unless someone knows of a miraculous recovery by Frank and Magglio were they will at least play the last 40-45 remaining games, there is no reason to think this team can win based on how they are playing now.

Its time Sox fans stop deluding themselves with emotion and think logically. It sucks. I hate giving up. I will still support this team and watch the games. But I don't think I was the first one to give up on the season. I think the players have. I'm just supporting their viewpoint now because if they don't believe they're going to win I'll 100% guarantee they won't.
You couldn't be more right. I hate throwing in the towel, but the harsh reality is we are going down the same road we walked in 2003 (Cubbie glory, Sox fade). I'm still younger than a lot of you guys, but I'm a lifelong Sox fan and I don't believe in miracles.

Gimm
08-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Does it even matter now?

LipAre you effin' kidding me?!

We're only 5 games back in the loss column, have 6 games remaining with the Twins and undoubtedly easier schedule. After Minnesota loses to Anaheim today, we'll be 4 games behind in the loss column with about 60 games to do in the season.

Furthermore, we just came off a stretch during which we lost 4 one-run games in a row. Just a couple of moderate offensive upgrades and we win 3 of them - and that's just 4 games! Add someone like Delgado and now everything changes - not only do you start winning a high % of 1-run games you would otherwise lose, but the 2-run games as well. The entire dynamic of the line-up changes, with pressure being taken off the Killer L's - Lee, Lonerko and Leverett. Later, you get Frank back and Konerko moves to 3B, with Crazy Carl going to RF.

Anyway....Are you that scared of Rivas, Guzman, Morno, Silva, Cuddayer, Gresinger, Lohse, Mullholland, Ford (last 2 months he really leveled off after a sizzling start), Blanco, LeCroy, Koskie (of 2004), Jones (of 2004), Offerman, Radke and Hunter? The only guys worth a damn on their team are Santana, Stewart and Nathan.

For shame.

Iguana775
08-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Are you effin' kidding me?!

We're only 5 games back in the loss column, have 6 games remaining with the Twins and undoubtedly easier schedule. After Minnesota loses to Anaheim today, we'll be 4 games behind in the loss column with about 60 games to do in the season.

Furthermore, we just came off a stretch during which we lost 4 one-run games in a row. Just a couple of moderate offensive upgrades and we win 3 of them - and that's just 4 games! Add someone like Delgado and now everything changes - not only do you start winning a high % of 1-run games you would otherwise lose, but the 2-run games as well. The entire dynamix of the line-up changes, with pressure being taken off the Killer L's - Lee, Lonerko and Leverett. Later, you get Frank back and Konerko moves to 3B, with Crazy Carl going to RF.

Anyway....Are you that scared of Rivas, Guzman, Morno, Silva, Cuddayer, Gresinger, Lohse, Mullholland, Ford (last 2 months he really leveled off after a sizzling start), Blanco, LeCroy, Koskie (of 2004), Jones (of 2004), Offerman, Radke and Hunter? The only guys worth a damn on their team are Santana, Stewart and Nathan.

For shame.
hey!! Optimism isnt allowed here.

mcfish
08-05-2004, 02:29 PM

Furthermore, we just came off a stretch during which we lost 4 one-run games in a row. Just a couple of moderate offensive upgrades and we win 3 of them - and that's just 4 games! Add someone like Delgado and now everything changes - not only do you start winning a high % of 1-run games you would otherwise lose, but the 2-run games as well. The entire dynamic of the line-up changes, with pressure being taken off the Killer L's - Lee, Lonerko and Leverett. Later, you get Frank back and Konerko moves to 3B, with Crazy Carl going to RF.

For shame.You tell me when the Twins start losing games from that unbelieveable tough schedule, ok. 13-2 over the last 15 tough games. Including 2 wins against that Angels team that is sure to beat them tonight.

Most of those 1 run games could have been won win better DEFENSE. Adding the .221 hitter Delgado will certainly shore up that left side defense. He's sure to hit HR's in every one of the 1 run games as well. That's been proven by the whopping 16 HR's he has this year.

Every one of those Twins players has performed better than almost every one of the Sox players this year, by the way.

And I didn't even say anything about Konerko moving to 3B.

Gimm
08-05-2004, 02:37 PM
You tell me when the Twins start losing games from that unbelieveable tough schedule, ok. 13-2 over the last 15 tough games. Including 2 wins against that Angels team that is sure to beat them tonight.

Most of those 1 run games could have been won win better DEFENSE. Adding the .221 hitter Delgado will certainly shore up that left side defense. He's sure to hit HR's in every one of the 1 run games as well. That's been proven by the whoping 16 HR's he has this year.

Every one of those Twins players has performed better than almost every one of the Sox players this year, by the way.Today they win 13 of 15, tomorrow they lose 9 of 12. Baseball is a funny game. You'll see.

If you can't see how change of scenery would benefit Delgado and how he would by default improve the other batters in the line-up, then obviously you haven't seen this team WITH and WITHOUT Thomas. Delgado is a scary talent looking for the right circumstances.

And defense? Get off of it - Crede, Valentin, Uribe and Harris have enough range to paint over an occasional error or two. Once the offense start clicking, those 1- and 2-run games will go in our favor, even with Delgado's defense at 1st. I don't remember people complaining about defense when the Sox were 31-22.

Brian26
08-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Yes. As ugly as it is right now, we play Minnesota 6 more times in September.

If we split 3-3, we make up NO ground.

If we go 4-2, we only make up 2 games.

If you want to rest all of your hopes and dreams on us going 5-1 or sweeping these guys both at the baggie dome and the cell, you're nuts.

Brian26
08-05-2004, 02:40 PM

We're only 5 games back in the loss column, have 6 games remaining with the Twins

If you want to rest all of your hopes and dreams on us going 5-1 or sweeping these guys both at the baggie dome and the cell, you're nuts.

Soxzilla
08-05-2004, 02:44 PM

The fate of the season rests on those games.

mcfish
08-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Today they win 13 of 15, tomorrow they lose 9 of 12. Baseball is a funny game. You'll see.

If you can't see how change of scenery would benefit Delgado and how he would by default improve the other batters in the line-up, then obviously you haven't seen this team WITH and WITHOUT Thomas. Delgado is a scary talent looking for the right circumstances.

And defense? Get off of it - Crede, Valentin, Uribe and Harris have enough range to paint over an occasional error or two. Once the offense start clicking, those 1- and 2-run games will go in our favor, even with Delgado's defense at 1st. I don't remember people complaining about defense when the Sox were 31-22.
Defense wasn't bad when the Sox were 31-22. Jose's injury helped there and he played better defense when he was in the first half. Dropped pop ups in the 10th innning, grounders through the legs, missed DP's (which don't even count as errors), and bad throws are worse than bad AB's. You're just giving the other team runs. Oh, and walking in winning runs is rediculous too - but not something our offense was at fault for.

Delgado is another of the same type of player that hasn't gotten anything done for the White Sox this century. Another slow power hitter.

fquaye149
08-05-2004, 03:01 PM
I know politics should perhaps not come into affect when acquiring a ballplayer, but would Delgado's 7th inning antics bother anyone?

would they bother ANYONE? absolutely

Would they bother me? Only if he's not hitting.

Mohoney
08-05-2004, 03:02 PM
He's owed a lot of money. Where does Delgado play?? Konerko is at 1st, and Everett is at DH. I know Carl could play RF, but my understanding is that he prefers DH because of his injuries.

I would think that Everett would have to move to RF, but who knows? Maybe Paulie will play 3B? Maybe Paulie and Delgado will draw straws to see who plays 1B and who catches?

Gimm
08-05-2004, 03:35 PM
The fate of the season rests on those games.Not really - as always it rests on JR's wired-shut wallet.

All Sox have to do is get somebody like Delgado or Walker, move Schoeneweis to the pen in favor od Diaz, and then maybe try to get Lofton for cheap (ala Robbie) to improve the club's depth. Then you wait for Thomas to get back in September. If Magglio comes back, it would be a bonus.

Everything else will fall in their proper place, including Minnesota going into a big slump at some point.

Stay tuned.

Mohoney
08-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Not really - as always it rests on JR's wired-shut wallet.

All Sox have to do is get somebody like Delgado or Walker, move Schoeneweis to the pen in favor od Diaz, and then maybe try to get Lofton for cheap (ala Robbie) to improve the club's depth. Then you wait for Thomas to get back in September. If Magglio comes back, it would be a bonus.

Everything else will fall in their proper place, including Minnesota going into a big slump at some point.

Stay tuned.

Just a thought here, but don't we need to turn in a playoff roster by August 31? Wouldn't we need to be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE on that day that Frank and/or Magglio would or wouldn't be back in time for the postseason?

We can't just add players left and right here, unless we are POSITIVE on these 2 guys' status.

steff
08-05-2004, 05:43 PM

Third time's a charm Bri.... :D:

MONEYBALL21
08-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Why waste our money on him??? Delgado is batting .221 with a .322 and I think hes makeing around 18 MILL A YEAR!!! It would be beyond stupid to pick him up but who knows we have KW running the show.

harwar
08-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Just a thought here, but don't we need to turn in a playoff roster by August 31? Wouldn't we need to be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE on that day that Frank and/or Magglio would or wouldn't be back in time for the postseason?

We can't just add players left and right here, unless we are POSITIVE on these 2 guys' status.
I may be wrong about this(and i usually am) but it seems to me that if the player is on the DL he can still be used in post season.

Palehose13
08-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Delgado? Why not? The Sox NEED another big bat. I don't think this season is over yet.

"antics"? He doesn't come out of the dugout, it's not like he burns aflag or something during the 7th inning.

IIRC, no one is required to stand, sing, take off hat, etc. during "GBA". For the National Anthem, yes. GBA, no. As someone once posted in a previous thread (paprphrasing), you aren't expected to do all the for Neil Diamond's "Coming to America".

FightingBillini
08-05-2004, 05:58 PM
As someone once posted in a previous thread (paprphrasing), you aren't expected to do all that for Neil Diamond's "Coming to America".
You should be required to. Dude, its NEIL!

Gimm
08-05-2004, 06:00 PM

Fact: Sox were a Neal Cotts away from sweeping the 4-game set there in May.

Fact: Sox did sweep the Twins there in June.

Magglio missed those games and Frank should be back by the time we face them in September.

KW shouldn't stand pat, though. Sox still need Kenny Lofton. Sox still need Larry Walker. Sox still need to put Schoeneweis in the pen. Then hope Frank comes back in September. Done and done.

mcfish
08-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Fact: Sox were a Neal Cotts away from sweeping the 4-game set there in May.

Fact: Sox did sweep the Twins there in June.

Magglio missed those games and Frank should be back by the time we face them in September.

KW shouldn't stand pat, though. Sox still need Kenny Lofton. Sox still need Larry Walker. Sox still need to put Schoeneweis in the pen. Then hope Frank comes back in September. Done and done.Fact: The Sox are 1-5 against Minnesota at U.S. Cellular Field this year.

Palehose13
08-05-2004, 06:06 PM
You should be required to. Dude, its NEIL!LOL...I agree. :cool:

batmanZoSo
08-05-2004, 06:19 PM

And since those two series will either basically clinch it for the Twins or get us right back in it, they'll certainly play their best ball and beat us. That's how it's been for the last four years.

Six more against the Twins gets me thinking 12 games out instead of 6.

Gimm
08-05-2004, 06:38 PM
We can't just add players left and right here, unless we are POSITIVE on these 2 guys' status.Yes we most certainly can and, in fact, must.

Cubs are threatening to win the World Series this year. Our payroll is only, what, 65 Mill? Max it out, we can't afford to miss playoffs again.

Another 10 Mill spent would bring payroll to 75 Mill, which is not that high a figure. 10 Mill with about 30% of the season left, buys you 30 Mill worth of talent - more if you're willing to give good prospects, which I assume Sox will not.

I am a proponent of getting Lofton and Robbie because they would close up holes at the top of the order and give real depth.....AND at the same time cost virtually nothing, which is important since that would allow the Sox to spend the big money on the aformentioned "30 Mill worth of talent" - your Walkers, your Leiters, etc.

Since all KW and JR talk about is 1917, I fugure raising payroll from 65 to 75 is the least they could do. :bandance: :smile:

Cubbiesuck13
08-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Delgado? Why not? The Sox NEED another big bat. I don't think this season is over yet.

"antics"? He doesn't come out of the dugout, it's not like he burns aflag or something during the 7th inning.

IIRC, no one is required to stand, sing, take off hat, etc. during "GBA". For the National Anthem, yes. GBA, no. As someone once posted in a previous thread (paprphrasing), you aren't expected to do all the for Neil Diamond's "Coming to America".

God Bless America is not an anthem but it is a tribute. It became a tribute after 9-11. Before then, I don't think anyone sang it in the 7th. I think his 'statement' is dissrespectful but that is the great thing about living the U.S.(yes I know we are talking about Canada but lets all get real about that) I am a strong supporter of standing up for what you believe in or sitting if you disagree in this case. One thing is certain, it shouldn't have anything to do with getting a player or not.

batmanZoSo
08-05-2004, 08:47 PM
God Bless America is not an anthem but it is a tribute. It became a tribute after 9-11. Before then, I don't think anyone sang it in the 7th. I think his 'statement' is dissrespectful but that is the great thing about living the U.S.(yes I know we are talking about Canada but lets all get real about that) I am a strong supporter of standing up for what you believe in or sitting if you disagree in this case. One thing is certain, it shouldn't have anything to do with getting a player or not.
I don't know what he said, but I'm with Delgado in sitting. Enough with it. It was beatiful tribute to the lives lost but it's been three years. So far removed from the events, the GBA tradition has become a pro-America nationalistic thing, no longer a memoriam for the victims. Basically, we're getting up and singing God Bless America for the hell of it, just like the pledge in Grade School. Now that the tragedy's over we have to continue to love and sing to America and not question the things we do as a country? Two years ago it made sense, but I wonder what the purpose is now.

I don't think an American would be disrespectful to sit down let alone a Dominican (?) player on a Canadian team.

Cubbiesuck13
08-05-2004, 08:54 PM
I don't know what he said, but I'm with Delgado in sitting. Enough with it. It was beatiful tribute to the lives lost but it's been three years. So far removed from the events, the GBA tradition has become a pro-America nationalistic thing, no longer a memoriam for the victims. Basically, we're getting up and singing God Bless America for the hell of it, just like the pledge in Grade School. Now that the tragedy's over we have to continue to love and sing to America and not question the things we do as a country? Two years ago it made sense, but I wonder what the purpose is now.

I don't think an American would be disrespectful to sit down let alone a Dominican (?) player on a Canadian team.
You have completly valid points and there is no doubt that with as much as the media gets involved in things that almost everything is sensationalized. That said, I still think it to be dissrespectfull but I don't wish to share more because 1. this is not the roadhouse and 2. my point was that his views on america should not be factored in when trying to decide weather or not he should be on the Sox.

Palehose13
08-05-2004, 09:03 PM
I am a strong supporter of standing up for what you believe in or sitting if you disagree in this case. You have completly valid points and there is no doubt that with as much as the media gets involved in things that almost everything is sensationalized. That said, I still think it to be dissrespectfull but I don't wish to share more because 1. this is not the roadhouse and 2. my point was that his views on america should not be factored in when trying to decide weather or not he should be on the Sox.Did you just contradict yourself?

I agree with the point in bold.

Brian26
08-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Third time's a charm Bri.... :D:
Stalker girl!!!!

Cubbiesuck13
08-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Did you just contradict yourself?

I agree with the point in bold.

I am a strong supporter of standing up for what you believe in(choice) or sitting if you disagree in this case.(him sitting during the song)

I agree with having a choice, it was kind of supposed to be a play on words with him sitting during the song. Does that clear it up?

SouthSideRyan
08-05-2004, 11:46 PM

The playoff rosters include everyone on the 25 man roster, including guys on the DL as of September 1st. If one of the active guys on the 25 man roster goes on the DL into the playoffs then they can be replaced by anyone on the 40 man roster.

jordan23ventura
08-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Well, when we're 15 out by the end of next week and in 4th place we'll have a easier chance to get him. Then Kenny can give them the contracts to all the minor leaguers in our system and let DelGado walk at the end of the season, completeing his mission to take over a YOUNG Division winner with a highly touted farm system and.... well I'm just to upset to post the rest of today

WE SUCK
Exactly. Not trying to be pessimistic here, but this team can not compete right now. What's Delgado going to do? Hit some more solo home runs?