PDA

View Full Version : Since we're not gonna do anything....

kittle42
08-05-2004, 12:17 AM
...let's also take notice that the "beloved" Cubs will soon own the wild card lead.

Yay.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-05-2004, 12:18 AM
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: DAMN THE CUBS!

Gimm
08-05-2004, 12:28 AM
It was inevitable that as they got healthy that would start dominating the likes of SD and SF.

Seriously, look at their roster and you'll wonder how the hell a team that talented is only 11 games over .500.

kittle42
08-05-2004, 12:29 AM
I am *not* going to be able to take another Cubbie Kool-aid October.

RKMeibalane
08-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Don't worry, guys. It's only a matter of time before Wrigley Field crumbles to the ground. And since there are no actual Cubs fans, nobody is going to care if the Cubs make the playoffs.

Maybe this should have been in pink.

Gimm
08-05-2004, 12:37 AM
And since there are no actual Cubs fans, nobody is going to care if the Cubs make .Is that right? So who were all those yahoos overrunning Coors field tonight and making more noise during Sosa's game-tying homer than during any of the Rockie hits? Tourists? :redneck

I think it's safe to retire the "Wrigley fan" myth. Cubs enjoy a tremendeous following both locally and nationally, and that would not change much if Wrigley were torn down tomorrow or if they were to win the Series today.

StockdaleForVeep
08-05-2004, 12:39 AM
They're still going nowhere

take that to the bank

AnkleSox
08-05-2004, 01:40 AM
If the cubs won the world series this year i would never watch baseball again.

OurBitchinMinny
08-05-2004, 01:45 AM
This october is gonna be sickening. Twinkies and scrubs in the playoffs. If they meet for the WS im gonna puke

SomebodyToldMe
08-05-2004, 01:56 AM
i wouldn't have left the house.

i don't think i'd be able to live in a world where the cubs are champs.

do you realize that if they win one before we do, we'd never hear the end up it?

"it doesn't matter, we won one first!"

Lip Man 1
08-05-2004, 03:08 AM
Stockdale says: "They're still going nowhere...take that to the bank."

No offense but according to you the Sox are still going to win the division. I think I'll have to believe someone with more credibility.

Lip

Hangar18
08-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Is that right? So who were all those yahoos overrunning Coors field tonight and making more noise during Sosa's game-tying homer than during any of the Rockie hits? Tourists? :redneck

I think it's safe to retire the "Wrigley fan" myth. Cubs enjoy a tremendeous following both locally and nationally, and that would not change much if Wrigley were torn down tomorrow or if they were to win the Series today.Remember ........... this is all MEDIA CREATED. Showing some fans on tv
begets more fans. Do this regularly for 20 years ...... and see what happens.
Also .... the fact the flubbies are on tv in every major market greatly helps.
What I find IMPRESSIVE (though NEVER EVER talked about in the media)
is how many SOX fans you'll find when on the road. The last few years
on the road seeing the SOX, Im Stunned by the numbers of SOX fans I see
on the road. The trip to Detroit, and especially Kansas City and LosAngeles (bridgeport west) was amazing and made me so proud to be a SOX FAN.

More importantly, remember this everyone.
*The SOX do this WITHOUT all the Extra Media Coverage at home.
* Theyre Popular WITHOUT every game being available across the USA. *Theyre Popular WITHOUT the created myth that our homepark is "a shrine" and should be visited often.
*Theyre Popular WITHOUT the gratuitous "fan" shots every single inning
and the pandering of announcers "look at all these fans"
*Theyre Popular despite all of the PR Gaffes and Front Office Goof-Ups

When you take all of this into consideration, You'll find that the SOX are
indeed in the upper echelon of being "popular", despite what the media tells
us.

I remember the feeling I got when I called home after the SOX pummelled the Dodgers to ask how many "fans" the TV showed ..... and I was told they DIDNT SHOW ANY of us there. At least certainly not like they
purposely do for a certain other team.

I realize that, Though im born and raised in Chicago IL,
I almost begin to believe the Medias assertions that the cubs are the only
team with a following. The Gratuitous fan shots and the Pandering by Chip and Santo about "look at all these fans" is truly sickening and propogandistic.
Dont believe all the hype folks .......

cheeses_h_rice
08-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Is that right? So who were all those yahoos overrunning Coors field tonight and making more noise during Sosa's game-tying homer than during any of the Rockie hits? Tourists? :redneck

I think it's safe to retire the "Wrigley fan" myth. Cubs enjoy a tremendeous following both locally and nationally, and that would not change much if Wrigley were torn down tomorrow or if they were to win the Series today.
Butts in the seats don't equate to fans, IMO. Where were all these people 4, 5, 10 years ago when the Flubs sucked?

Anyone can be a bandwagon-hopper, and the Flubs are plenty primed to have tons of these types rooting them on. Remember how in the '90s about 8 out of 10 Chicagoans was suddenly a "huge Bulls fan" (and I'm as guilty of this as anyone, since I now follow the Bulls only very tepidly).

The fact is, most people who "follow sports" do so on a fairly wishy-washy, trend-following basis. The Flubs have the Lovable Loser image, plus marquee names like Sosa, Nomar, Wood, Prior, etc. Add those factors to a team that's 11 games over .500 in a weak WC race and you can see why all these "fans" start popping up.

bobj4400
08-05-2004, 09:59 AM
I am with you. I would forsake baseball forever if they win the world series. I can handle the Yankees winning every year, but the Cubs??? That is just disgusting to me...

joeynach
08-05-2004, 10:02 AM

Just like how all those Cub Fan overran Atlanta and Miami last October in the playoffs right. Well i went to the NLCS at pro player and experience all these so called great cub fans who overrun the stadiums. They are all frauds. All of them still had the tags on there cubbie hats and jeresy's. We asked most of them why they were here and got the silliest responses. Uh i lived in chicago years ago, when i was a kid, i have family there. Uh i follow them on WGN all the time, uh i went to school in chicago......etc! Jus thte dumbest things i have heard, and they chose rooting for the cubs over there real home town team, the marlins. Neadless to say all these bandwagoners and people who just choose the cubs becuase they think its popular and cool got what was coming to them, as the marlins took the series. All the fans at coors and wherever else are all bandwagoners and frauds who think its cooler to be a cubs fan all of a sudden then root for the team that acutally plays in there town. I have no idea how this happened, its not like these people in denver and Miami get to go to wrigley.

Jerko
08-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Are there any, ANY good teams in the NL besides St. Louis and now, Atlanta? The Dodgers had the best July of anyone but after the trades they made are they any better? Phillies suck as we just saw, then they go and beat SD twice which means they suck, the Marlins can't beat Arizona, so they suck, the Giants are behind SD, so they suck, the Rockies have a closer with a 7 era, the Reds, Brewers, and Pirates, though improved, are still the Reds, Brewers, and Pirates. Who does that leave? Expos? Mets? Houston? The NL is ripe for the pickings right now and with teams just 'giving' the cubs players every year it was only a matter of time before they took over the wild card lead. Hopefully SD and LA will kick their asses next week but when you make Corey Patterson look like the 2nd coming of Kenny Lofton in his prime that just makes the rest of the puds in the lineup look better than they really are. I'm sorry, but I STILL can't take a team with Barrett, Walker, Grud, and even Morepiss Alou that seriously. Now if the pitchers in the NL would quit throwing belly high fastballs to Corky, Stiffy (Lee) and Anus Ramirez, maybe they'd have something there.

Hangar18
08-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Just like how all those Cub Fan overran Atlanta and Miami last October in the playoffs right. Well i went to the NLCS at pro player and experience all these so called great cub fans who overrun the stadiums. They are all frauds. All of them still had the tags on there cubbie hats and jeresy's. We asked most of them why they were here and got the silliest responses. Uh i lived in chicago years ago, when i was a kid, i have family there. Uh i follow them on WGN all the time, uh i went to school in chicago......etc! Jus thte dumbest things i have heard, and they chose rooting for the cubs over there real home town team, the marlins. Neadless to say all these bandwagoners and people who just choose the cubs becuase they think its popular and cool got what was coming to them, as the marlins took the series. All the fans at coors and wherever else are all bandwagoners and frauds who think its cooler to be a cubs fan all of a sudden then root for the team that acutally plays in there town. I have no idea how this happened, its not like these people in denver and Miami get to go to wrigley.
Excellent excellent post Joey. Very very true .....

CubsSuckMySox182
08-05-2004, 10:52 AM
I am with you. I would forsake baseball forever if they win the world series. I can handle the Yankees winning every year, but the Cubs??? That is just disgusting to me...
I agree with you 100%...But, I do have total faith in the Mighty Goat Curse, and now, Steve Bartman as well (Even though he was just a scapegoat for the Cubs' heart wrenching loss of the NLCS).:dtroll:

Frater Perdurabo
08-05-2004, 11:20 AM
Remember ........... this is all MEDIA CREATED. Showing some fans on tv
on the road. The trip to Detroit, and especially Kansas City and LosAngeles (bridgeport west) was amazing and made me so proud to be a SOX FAN.

* Theyre Popular WITHOUT every game being available across the USA. *Theyre Popular WITHOUT the created myth that our homepark is "a shrine" and should be visited often.

us.

I remember the feeling I got when I called home after the SOX pummelled the Dodgers to ask how many "fans" the TV showed ..... and I was told they DIDNT SHOW ANY of us there. At least certainly not like they

team with a following. The Gratuitous fan shots and the Pandering by Chip and Santo about "look at all these fans" is truly sickening and propogandistic.

Hangar, your post reminded me of one of my students. He was born and raised in Zambia. Now, I love geography and maps but it would take me a minute to find Zambia on a map of Africa.

Anyway, he saw the giant 3'x5' Sox Flag I recently put on my office wall. He told me that when he was a small child in Zambia, his first hat was a Sox cap.

White Sox fans are like Metallica fans. Metallica achieved legendary "underground" popularity when fans swapped copies of bootleg recordings of live shows. Sox fans operate in something of an underground: dismissed by the mainstream media but popular among die-hard fans (my father-in-law grew up listening to Sox radio broadcasts in Texas before the Senators became the Rangers) and the urban hip/hop scene, among other demographics. Also, I am amazed at the sheer number of retro 1983 Sox caps, shirts and jackets I see every day in Texas.

Gimm
08-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Butts in the seats don't equate to fans, IMO. Where were all these people 4, 5, 10 years ago when the Flubs sucked?

Anyone can be a bandwagon-hopper, and the Flubs are plenty primed to have tons of these types rooting them on. Remember how in the '90s about 8 out of 10 Chicagoans was suddenly a "huge Bulls fan" (and I'm as guilty of this as anyone, since I now follow the Bulls only very tepidly).

The fact is, most people who "follow sports" do so on a fairly wishy-washy, trend-following basis. The Flubs have the Lovable Loser image, plus marquee names like Sosa, Nomar, Wood, Prior, etc. Add those factors to a team that's 11 games over .500 in a weak WC race and you can see why all these "fans" start popping up.Who gives a **** about semantics!

The point is that as the result of their immense popularity they have unreal cash flow which could support a 120 Mill payroll if need be, and will probably win a World Series or two in the next few years....all the while WE are left in the dust.

Give me a bandwagoner who attends, travels and spends over a die-hard who doesn't. I am sick of low payrolls and of bowing down to the mediocre Twins.

Baby Fisk
08-05-2004, 06:59 PM
White Sox fans are like Metallica fans. Metallica achieved legendary "underground" popularity when fans swapped copies of bootleg recordings of live shows. Sox fans operate in something of an underground: dismissed by the mainstream media but popular among die-hard fans (my father-in-law grew up listening to Sox radio broadcasts in Texas before the Senators became the Rangers) and the urban hip/hop scene, among other demographics. Also, I am amazed at the sheer number of retro 1983 Sox caps, shirts and jackets I see every day in Texas.I've been taking an informal, unscientific poll of people I see wearing MLB caps around Toronto. I'll post a full tally at the end of the season, but right now the Yankees are running away with it. Badly. Jays are second, followed by the Tigers (?) and Sox! Just today, I saw a teenager outside my office in a black Jordan 45 Sox jersey!

BTW -- that Metallica analogy is excellent.

HARVESTER OF SORROW---------> :reinsy

Foulke You
08-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Remember ........... this is all MEDIA CREATED. Showing some fans on tv

us.

Agreed Hangar. I went to Boston for the last two years for the White Sox vs Red Sox series and you would be surprised how many White Sox fans there were at Fenway Park that I ran into. In 2001, Miller Park was Comiskey Park Wisconsin as half the park was easily White Sox fans.

You are correct that Cubs broadcasts are gratuitous in their fan shots. I mean, every second they pan to a fan in a Cubs hat or shirt when they are on the road. This doesn't happen when the Sox are on the road. They only show "traveling" Sox fans once in a blue moon and almost not at all during a WGN (Tribune) broadcast even though they are there and many times very vocal. Even when Hawk and DJ say on air that there are a lot of Sox fans in the house, they STILL don't show them. Power of perception.

Gimm
08-06-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm sorry, but I STILL can't take a team with Barrett, Walker, Grud, and even Morepiss Alou that seriously. Now if the pitchers in the NL would quit throwing belly high fastballs to Corky, Stiffy (Lee) and Anus Ramirez, maybe they'd have something there.Honestly, how long can one delude oneself into beliving the above rubbish and still respect oneself as a baseball fan?

Barret? 820 OPS this year.
Hollansworth? 940 OPS
Walker? 880
Alou? 850

They'll be more than fine with that supporting crew.

And how do you prose pitchers get Sosa, Ramirez, Lee out if not on belt-high fastballs? Knee-high fastballs? They crush that. Breaking-balls? If it's in the zone, they crush that, too. Walk them? Then Patterson, Barret, Hollansworth, Garciaparra and Alou are gonna murder you with runners on base.

And with Prior, Wood, Zambrano, Clement and Maddux....that's more offense than they need.

Face facts: Cubs are very, very good when in full strenght, and it has very LITTLE to do with how weak you think NL is.

But let me guess, Farnsworth, Merker and Hawkins would their downfall . Or maybe the Cruse will interere......:rolleyes:

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-06-2004, 01:05 PM
I agree with you 100%...But, I do have total faith in the Mighty Goat Curse, and now, Steve Bartman as well (Even though he was just a scapegoat for the Cubs' heart wrenching loss of the NLCS).:dtroll:
heh heh. i believe in the curse too!

Hangar18
08-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Honestly, how long can one delude oneself into beliving the above rubbish and still respect oneself as a baseball fan?

Barret? 820 OPS this year.
Hollansworth? 940 OPS
Walker? 880
Alou? 850

They'll be more than fine with that supporting crew.

And how do you prose pitchers get Sosa, Ramirez, Lee out if not on belt-high fastballs? Knee-high fastballs? They crush that. Breaking-balls? If it's in the zone, they crush that, too. Walk them? Then Patterson, Barret, Hollansworth, Garciaparra and Alou are gonna murder you with runners on base.

And with Prior, Wood, Zambrano, Clement and Maddux....that's more offense than they need.

Face facts: Cubs are very, very good when in full strenght, and it has very LITTLE to do with how weak you think NL is.

But let me guess, Farnsworth, Merker and Hawkins would their downfall . Or maybe the Cruse will interere......:rolleyes:
Lets not give these "Cubs" too much credit here. We know for sure, as history will back us, that the REAL Cubs wouldve been as bad as ever. However, replace the Cubs with All-Star players from other teams, and youve got a very different team. Its not like the Cubs suddenly drafted all of these great players. Its the Fact that MLB has a Horrible policy concerning the distribution of Revenues, that the Cubs were simply able to just "Steal" and "Buy" players. Heck, one of their important pitchers got here because of the Commissioners Conflict-of-Interest, and the other was a Throw-In in a trade, simply because he was Arbitration Eligible and about to make $6 million a year. Do we commend the cubs for being "good"? or Commend them for being the Richest? I choose the Richest.

Barret via Expos, couldnt afford him
Walker via RedSox, wouldnt pay him
Hollandsworth via Marlins, couldnt afford him
Alou via Astros, couldnt afford him
Lee via Marlins, couldnt afford him
Garciaparra via RedSox, via frontoffice nonsense
Mercker via Braves, couldnt afford him
Maddux via Braves, couldnt afford him
Ramirez via Pirates, couldnt afford him
Sosa via SOX, gift
Prior via conflict-of-interest
Clement via Marlins, couldnt afford him
Hawkins via Twins, couldnt afford him
Remlinger via Braves, couldnt afford him

This is just a quick snapshot and accounts for over HALF the players
on the team. Can you imagine if Financial Circumstances were different
for the Marlins? or the Pirates?
sure, these guys wear "cub" uniforms ........... but theyre not real cubs to
me.

kittle42
08-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Sosa via SOX, gift

me.
Henry, I have heard you go on about this before, but really - if KW got all these guys, we'd be pissing in our pants with glee.

Hangar18
08-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Henry, I have heard you go on about this before, but really - if KW got all these guys, we'd be pissing in our pants with glee.
The point is ....the SOX DIDNT have to do that. They simply needed to fill
a couple of holes here and there. I think thats whats kept me a Sox fan
all this time, is the idea we can relate to these players, having come up thru
the sox system (or were unknown, as Konerko was) One could say "the cubs are great, look at the great players" or one could say "The system is really messed up now, the Joke Franchise has used/abused the system". The Media would rather choose option A. Thats why, I deep down admire the Twins for the most part. Those are dang good players thru their system. A team like the Flubs CANT do the same thing .......... The SOX didnt need to get 20 new players ala a certain team 8 miles north. Now I know that teams change players alot, but of the Current 25 Players on the Flubby Roster .......
only 5 of them are thru their Farm System. 5 out of 25!!!!!!!

Gimm
08-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Lets not give these "Cubs" too much credit here. We know for sure, as history will back us, that the REAL Cubs wouldve been as bad as ever. However, replace the Cubs with All-Star players from other teams, and youve got a very different team. Its not like the Cubs suddenly drafted all of these great players. Its the Fact that MLB has a Horrible policy concerning the distribution of Revenues, that the Cubs were simply able to just "Steal" and "Buy" players. Heck, one of their important pitchers got here because of the Commissioners Conflict-of-Interest, and the other was a Throw-In in a trade, simply because he was Arbitration Eligible and about to make $6 million a year. Do we commend the cubs for being "good"? or Commend them for being the Richest? I choose the Richest.

Sosa via SOX, gift

me.
No offense, but you make about as much sense as Hawk when he talks about Billy Beane. Half the stuff above is utterly irrelevant, the other half - inaccurate.

Unless if course you were satirizing Cubbie logic...in which case, bravo!

CWWTWS1
08-06-2004, 03:52 PM
I sense sour grapes, Hangar.5 of 25? You need to get your facts straight. The Cubs have turned their farm system into a pipe line for MLB ready players. That is WHY you build a strong farm, to ACQUIRE players that are ready for the show. This has been going on for years.

Prior
Wood
Maddux
Zambrano
Farnsworth
Patterson
Leicester

The below group have all seen action this year or have been traded to upgrade the team.

Mitre
Wellemeyer
Harris
Beltran
Kelton

Kenny, in turn, has DEPLETED the farm system of the Sox.

Iwritecode
08-06-2004, 04:00 PM
I sense sour grapes, Hangar.5 of 25? You need to get your facts straight. The Cubs have turned their farm system into a pipe line for MLB ready players. That is WHY you build a strong farm, to ACQUIRE players that are ready for the show. This has been going on for years.

Prior
Wood
Maddux
Zambrano
Farnsworth
Patterson
Leicester

The below group have all seen action this year or have been traded to upgrade the team.

Mitre
Wellemeyer
Harris
Beltran
Kelton

Here's something fun and interesting to do. Go back 3 or 4 years and count the number of Cubs players that are STILL on the team now. Off the top of my head from 2000 I can think of 2. Sosa and Wood.

Now do the same thing with the Sox. Lets see... Konerko, Lee, Thomas, Maggs, Valentin, Burly, Garland, Crede...

The Cubs turn their lineup over more than any team I've ever seen. Even the Yankees aren't that bad...

Hangar18
08-06-2004, 04:01 PM

Prior
Wood
Maddux
Zambrano
Farnsworth
Patterson
Leicester

Mitre
Wellemeyer
Harris
Beltran
Kelton
Sour grapes maybe, or rage at the system. Im not counting Prior because
he was Twin bound when they did the about face. Leicester isnt on the main roster currently, replaced by Dempster. The cubs DIDNT use the farm
to acquire these Good Players, rather trading either their WORST Prospects or the TRIED & FAILED Prospects. They were able to get these guys because the Weak Sister Teams were Forced to do so because of Financial Circumstances. Bobby Hill for Aramis Ramirez? are you kidding me.
The Flubby farm wasnt depleted, they just traded warm bodies .......

CWWTWS1
08-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Hangar, Leicester IS on the team, he pitched yesterday and has dominated. He IS a product of the Cubs farm system, as are all the players I mentioned in my previous post.

Todd Walker could have been had by anyone, he WANTED to go to the Cubs.
Hollandsworth signed a 1 million dollar deal, you mean to say ONLY the Cubs could have signed him? LMAO!
Merker signed for a million as well, peanuts in this day and age.

Barrett was TRADED to the A's, who then was traded to the Cubs for Miller. The Cubs payed LESS for Barrett then they would have for Miller. It was just another great move by Hendry.

Sour grapes indeed.

Hangar18
08-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Hangar, Leicester IS on the team, he pitched yesterday and has dominated. He IS a product of the Cubs farm system, as are all the players I mentioned in my previous post.

Sour grapes indeed.
ok ......... 6 of the 25. Who was sent down to accomodate Ryan Dempster?
As I said ........ I dont count The Messiah

Hangar18
08-06-2004, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=CWWTWS1]

Hollandsworth signed a 1 million dollar deal, you mean to say ONLY the Cubs could have signed him? LMAO!

QUOTE]

and if im correct .......... Walker, Hollandsworth and Mercker COULDNT resign with their teams for just the minimum ......... they wouldve had to wait til May1
am i right?

CWWTWS1
08-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Hangar, Hollandsworth and Mercker could have signed anywhere. It's not like the Cubs paid them 5 million dollars. They each signed for 1 million and it was the Cubs who stepped up. How is that the Cubs problem?

CWWTWS1
08-06-2004, 04:38 PM
And another thing, Hangar. The White Sox have 7 players on their roster who were born and bred through their farm system, same as the Cubs. Your argument is losing steam.

Uncle_Patrick
08-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Come on! Are you a White Sox fan, or just a Cubs hater? Believe me, I don't want to see the Cubs win a world series, but its not the end of my world. We Sox fans put way to much energy into obsessing over the stupid Cubs. I've been guilty of it myself. But whatever, the White Sox are my team. As long as they keep playing, I'll keep watching baseball.

Besides, the Cubs will blow it. They always do.

Uncle_Patrick
08-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Hangar, I agree with a lot of your points, but ultimately, the way those players arrived on the Cubs is inconsequential. Those guys are all in a Cubs uniform now. Those victories don't count for anything less in the win column. A lot of the people on this board who bash Prior or Wood or Nomar or whoever would cream in their pants if those players put on a White Sox uniform and wouldn't care how they got here. If the Cubs were to, somehow, win a World Series, 99% of the people out there wouldn't think less of it because of the way the Cubs got those players. That's especially true in the Cubs' case, because, for some reason, people believe that they (and the Red Sox) are somehow deserving of a World Series victory (yet, oddly, the White Sox aren't). Teams like the Marlins (not last years team, but a few years back) are newcomers, so they get more heat. But the Cubs, they definately wouldn't. And ultimately, people forget about that stuff. They only remember that the team won.

Gimm
08-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Sour grapes maybe, or rage at the system. Im not counting Prior because
he was Twin bound when they did the about face. Leicester isnt on the main roster currently, replaced by Dempster. The cubs DIDNT use the farm
to acquire these Good Players, rather trading either their WORST Prospects or the TRIED & FAILED Prospects. They were able to get these guys because the Weak Sister Teams were Forced to do so because of Financial Circumstances. Bobby Hill for Aramis Ramirez? are you kidding me.
The Flubby farm wasnt depleted, they just traded warm bodies .......
:rolling:

You so crazy.:gulp:

CWWTWS1
08-06-2004, 05:56 PM
I honestly think Hangar BELIEVES this. Now that is some funny shI#!

SpecialEd21
08-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Why would the Cubs want to keep anyone from the 2000 team besides Wood and Sosa? That team sucked. Most teams keep players around after a 65-97 season.

PS: Corey Patterson and Kyle Farnsworth were on the 2000 Cubs too.

SouthSideRyan
08-06-2004, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=CWWTWS1]

QUOTE]

and if im correct .......... Walker, Hollandsworth and Mercker COULDNT resign with their teams for just the minimum ......... they wouldve had to wait til May1
am i right?
You are wrong. Only through arbitration are their limits on what a player's contract can be cut into. You can pay a guy whatever he wants if you sign him before the arbitration offering deadline. Nevermind the ridiculousness that your point has been moved to that only 28 other teams had chances to sign them for peanuts.

SpecialEd21
08-06-2004, 06:25 PM
And lets not forget Todd Walker turned down a lot more money from Cleveland to sign with the Cubs because he wanted to have a chance at the postseason.

soxwon
08-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Face it everyone the CUBS are going to win the world series.
that team is loaded, pitching, defense, hitting.
we despise them i know, but they are the team That we should be designed like.
if they win it, maybe sox management will see how they did it and duplicate it.
We are pathetic, i KNEW we would be in the WORLD SERIES, but maybe i better put my rose colored glasses away
its a sad year for us, just another in a long line of sad years.
But we will regroup and be Proud again next year.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Noooo! Gahhhhhhh! Dont even go there. The even thought of that sends chills down my spine. If the scrubs won the world series..i couldnt talk to another cubs fan agian. I would have to exile myself..only revealing my true baseball love to those who are still loyal to our white sox. Anywho thank god for the cards!:tongue:

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Face it everyone the CUBS are going to win the world series.
that team is loaded, pitching, defense, hitting.

I respect your optimism for the White Sox.

soxwon
08-07-2004, 12:56 PM
ok let me clarify something.

i live and die by this team, 366 days a year-i think white sox, sounds pathetic doesn"t it?
but thats who i am!!!

i really would like to think this team will rebound and come back and win the division, but at the moment WE SUCK!!!

Ive not given up, but the team has no HEART.
i watch ever game, i get depressed every loss.
i want so bad to WIN.

Maybe we will win the division, but im being rational.
it just doesnt look good.
and what i wrote about the cubs i believe will happen.
im praying to the baseball gods it doesnt happen.
but if it does accept it.

PaleHoseFan
08-09-2004, 09:49 AM
I find it very amusing that there is a belief that the Cubs have so much national support, so many fans.
What a joke.

My question is: "WHY?!!"

This pathetic franchise has been consistant in falling short, losing badly, having promise (and not living up to expectations) and as we all know, never in the World Series.
Just look at that awesome (Best in the League!!!) pitching staff - lol:redneck .

Don't worry, a team with this familiar track record (that has been carefully developed over a long history) will not be winning any championships.

The moniker: Lovable Losers is well deserved.

These great fans (nationwide even!) can just continue to wear their blue clown shirts and dream on....

JDP
08-09-2004, 11:09 AM
ok let me clarify something.

i live and die by this team, 366 days a year
I support them 25 hours a day as well

kittle42
08-09-2004, 11:20 AM
I support them 25 hours a day as well
Maybe he meant he only supports them on leap years.