PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Alomar

Gimm
08-04-2004, 10:59 PM
After today's game......OBP - 380, Slug - 460.

He costs nothing, literally. Ideal #2 hitter to complement Rowand and provide insurence against Crede/Uribe/Harris crapping out down the stretch, if anything else.

Too radical? :smile:

Evman5
08-04-2004, 11:02 PM
It has only been suggested about 15 times now!

Mohoney
08-04-2004, 11:03 PM

He costs nothing, literally. Ideal #2 hitter to complement Rowand and provide insurence against Crede/Uribe/Harris crapping out down the stretch, if anything else.

At this point, why not just ride it out with Willie?

Gimm
08-04-2004, 11:24 PM
At this point, why not just ride it out with Willie?Because he could go into a 1-for-30 slump at any moment, that's why. Robbie is actually quite good this year.

Unless you mean Sox should concede this season and just go with the youth, in which case I vehemently disagree - we're only 5 games behind in the loss column, have an easier schedule, deeper pockets AND there is a possibility Frank/Maggs can actually make it back in September.

Failure to make postseason in 2004 would be devastating, especially as the Cubs are capturing the wild card as I type this. Give me Robbie, give me Lofton, give me Leiter.....I don't care, something has to be done before the deadline.

owensmouth
08-05-2004, 06:29 AM
I don't care, something has to be done before the deadline.
What deadline? The trade deadline was July 31st.

illiniwhitesox
08-05-2004, 06:58 AM
I heard Quincy Carter is available and can be had for cheap now.

Hangar18
08-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Alomar can be had .......... CHEAP. About as CHEAP as Nomar was too.
But I think id rather have that Malcontent Whimpering Liar on my team ......
I still cant believe Kenny was outdone ......... again. :angry:

anewman35
08-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Hanger, unless I've missed it, you've yet to explain who we could have given up for Nomar. Before you bitch about Kenny again, please explain the trade he could have made, and how you know Boston would have done it. Thank you.

cbrownson13
08-05-2004, 09:21 AM

He's also only played in 38 games this year. Which is THE reason for the increased OBP and Slugging. Those are way above his career averages. The more games he will play in the more he will come back to earth.

SoxxoS
08-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Here is some evidence by probably fallacy:

We were a good 2nd half team last year...Robbie Alomar was on our team in the second half, not in the first...therefore we are a better team with Alomar.

By the by, didn't he talk crap about Chicago after we didn't resign him...if so, then you KNOW he isn't coming back.

Baby Fisk
08-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Can we please stop talking about the following "great pickups":

--Carlos Delgado
--Robbie Alomar
--Raul Mondesi

There are too many threads propping these guys up as instant solutions to much deeper Sox problems...

CubKilla
08-05-2004, 10:14 AM
At this point, why not just ride it out with Willie?
Exactly. We already gave up 5 players for Everett's services for a little less than 6 months over the last 2 seasons. No more trades. Cut your losses and hope JR allows some spending during the offseason.

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Hanger, unless I've missed it, you've yet to explain who we could have given up for Nomar. Before you bitch about Kenny again, please explain the trade he could have made, and how you know Boston would have done it. Thank you.
Unless you have been on the phone with Kenny and other GMs there's no way to explain exactly how a trade could have been done. It certainly seems possible that if the Red Sox were willing to settle for what they got for Nomar, the Sox could have been involved in that deal. In any case, KW's failure to address the Sox' glaring need for offense before the deadline ended this season.

Gimm
08-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Can we please stop talking about the following "great pickups":

--Carlos Delgado
--Robbie Alomar
--Raul Mondesi

There are too many threads propping these guys up as instant solutions to much deeper Sox problems...No, "we" can't stop talking about players who actually WILL help this team in a must-make-playoffs year. We lost 4 games in a row by 1 freakin' run, and with just a couple of cheap upgrades, would have most likely won 2 if not 3 of them - and that's just the 4 games stretch. Are you kidding me!

And yeah, I will take Delgado if he weren't quite as expensive or quite as underachieving this year. Mondesi? Not so much.

Robbie doesn't have much power left, true...but then again we need his OBP against righties, bunting skills, smart baserunning, etc in the #2 hole - Willie is more of a #9 hitter.

So, again

Unless you mean Sox should concede this season and just go with the youth, in which case I vehemently disagree - we're only 5 games behind in the loss column, have an easier schedule, deeper pockets AND there is a possibility Frank/Maggs can actually make it back in September
And Robbie will be cheap....do you understand what that means? That means he'll cost but a couple 100K and very little in terms of prospects. Getting him doesn't preclude the Sox from making other improvements.

Terminated
08-05-2004, 10:47 AM
What deadline? The trade deadline was July 31st.
:roflmao:

Gimm
08-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Robbie versus righties this year

390 OBP, 511 Slug.

That's in almost 100 atbats.

You sit him against lefties to maximize his value.

White Sox should look at every option, especially one this cheap.

Deadguy
08-05-2004, 11:04 AM
By the by, didn't he talk crap about Chicago after we didn't resign him...if so, then you KNOW he isn't coming back.
Robbie didn't resign here, because the Sox were refusing to give him a 2 year deal (and rightfully so, since he has been mediocre at best, since 2002). His reasoning for wanting a 2 year deal was so that "he'd know where he'd be when he picked up his 3,000th hit". The Sox were afraid that he'd coast through the first year of the deal, if he was given the luxury of having a second guaranteed year.

A one year deal would have given him a chance to show that he could still show some flashes of being the player that he was in 2001, opening up the door for a large contract after 2004.

He claimed this off season that he was going work hard this off season, which makes you wonder what exactly he was doing in the 2001 and 2002 off seasons. This guy's only motivation for sticking around is to get his 3,000th hit. To hell with him.

Gimm
08-05-2004, 11:12 AM
White Sox should look at every option, especially one this cheap.
I shoudl clarify this: if he continues to hit like this for another week, he won't be that cheap anymore - plenty of postseason contenders would take a chance in him, Yankees included.

You wait, you lose.

Baby Fisk
08-05-2004, 11:15 AM
I shoudl clarify this: if he continues to hit like this for another week, he won't be that cheap anymore - plenty of postseason contenders would take a chance in him, Yankees included.

You wait, you lose.Good Lord, man! Are you Robbie's agent? :cool:

Deadguy
08-05-2004, 11:19 AM

You wait, you lose.
How do you know what the demand for Alomar is?

As far as "continuing to hit like this", what exactly are you referring to? Just looking at his game logs, outside of his 4 for 5 performance last night, he's just been playing sporadically and doing nothing spectacular.

Gimm
08-05-2004, 11:20 AM
Good Lord, man! Are you Robbie's agent? :cool:
Yes - him and Kenny Lofton are my clients.

Gimm
08-05-2004, 11:49 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38424

:D:

Baby Fisk
08-05-2004, 11:56 AM
SONOFA...!

Gimm, you are the man (or woman?). I hate this acquisition, but next time you happen to drive through downtown Toronto, you have won yourself one:

:gulp:

[**this offer void upon the starting of any "Let's aquire Lofton/Delgado/Mondesi/anybody else" threads by Gimm**]

Brian26
08-05-2004, 12:01 PM

Kudos, you called it!

Gimm
08-05-2004, 12:08 PM
[**this offer void upon the starting of any "Let's aquire Lofton/Delgado/Mondesi/anybody else" threads by Gimm**]
*Orange juice over Floorshine shoes*

I really WAS gonna start a Kenny Lofton thread now that Robbie is crossed off the "high-upside/low-downside gamble to jumpstart the dying season" list.

Still might. :smile:

Flight #24
08-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Boston wanted a SS in return, a defensive upgrade @ 1B, and if possible, pitching. I highly doubt they would have taken Valentin & Gload. Prospects are useless to them since the primary motivation for the deal was contending this year.

Sox-Sox didn't match up well, and I'm damn sure the Twins weren't going to help us by adding in Minthkrghsrhgkrgkkucz in the deal.

DickAllen72
08-05-2004, 05:15 PM

Great call, bro!

I've been on the "bring back Robbie" bandwagon too!

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Now let's get Lofton! :)

Gimm
08-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Now let's get Lofton! :)No no, you fool, Kenny Lofton will cost nothing in prospects and makes 2.5 Mill. He probably couldn't even post an OBP of .380 down the stretch.

Instead, we should go after Beltran who makes 9 Mill, will cost multiple top prospects and has a wonderful .320 OBP with Houston.