PDA

View Full Version : Grinders we need, not a bunch of Rob Deer wantabees

southsideirish71
08-04-2004, 10:39 PM
This is like a broken record. We are battling for our playoff lives, every run counts. And we are still playing selfish corpseball baseball.

Carlos Lee gets up with Rowand on third. There is one out. What do you do?

A.) Try to hit the ball on the ground to the right side to score the runner.
B.) Try and lift the ball to the outfield to score the runner.
C.) Swing for the fences on every pitch. Even when there is 2 strikes. And strike out proud, but at least you dont feel cheated.

If you are every other team in baseball you would be in trouble with the manage if you did anything but A or B. On the Sox you are just playing traditional corpseball if you pick C. What is the penalty if you play this type of baseball.

Farmer and Rooney hit it on the head after you get the usual "what in the world is he doing" quote. Someone is trying to get on sportscenter. The next quote was well if they use this approach this is how teams go on 7 game losing streaks and you get on sportscenter for that also.

Rowand keeps doing the little things, getting on playing aggressive ball. All this from a guy who doesnt have the same talent level as other players on our team. But he is playing like a star.

We have a bunch of Rob Deer prototypes on our team. A series of people who want to pad their power stats instead of playing for the team. If you play that way you have no prayer.

We just go shut down by a 1-9 pitcher. Pull crazy, going for the homer on every pitch corpseball.

Gimm
08-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Farmer and Rooney hit it on the head after you get the usual "what in the world is he doing" quote. Someone is trying to get on sportscenter...........Rowand keeps doing the little things, getting on playing aggressive ball..Didn't Von Joshua indict these selfish losers with the same exact Sportcenter comment a few years back?

I think about 3 years ago it hit me that Caballo would never become Manny Ramirez 2.0 because Manny has a Hitting IQ up to whazoo and Carlos, like every other hitter in the line-up not named Thomas (that sadly includes Magglio since the beginning of 2003), well, doesn't.

As far as Rowand goes, he is not really doing anything special - just stays inside/on top of the pitch in the strike zone and drives it with a short, level swing. It only looks great when contrasted with the rest of the uppercutting pull-happy bums in that line-up. :redneck

RKMeibalane
08-04-2004, 10:58 PM
You know what is really disturbing about all of this? Just imagine what next season will be like if, for some reason, Frank Thomas isn't with the Sox. Think about it. Frank is not likely to decline his option for next season, but what he did? What if the Sox decided not to bring him back?

I shudder when thinking about a Sox lineup that does not include Thomas and Ordonez (since he's definitely gone). If we have to watch this bull**** again next season, well... I can't even describe how bad things will become.

Jerry Reinsdorf, get the HELL OUT!

soxnut
08-04-2004, 11:16 PM
I really don't think we're going to see the same team offensively next year. As I've said in a previous post, Konerko, Lee, Valentine and maybe Crede have got to go. It's got to be very frustrating for Ozzie to watch this team of dumb hitters. I'm sure he and KW will go voer it in the winter and put together something different.

This team actually needs more Aaron Rowand types. Look at the Twins, that's what they have and look where they're at. The "core" of this team has fallen in love with the homerun ball, and they end up paying a big price for it in the standings. Unfortunately, I don't think these guys care if they win or not, they're just trying to pad their stats, and I hate saying that about my team.

Hopefully Frank does come back, and by some miracle Magglio too. Add a few more Rowands to this lineup and with our pitching staff, we'll actually have something worth watching.

doublem23
08-04-2004, 11:17 PM
We need Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez.

RKMeibalane
08-04-2004, 11:18 PM
We need Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez.
:reinsy

"They cost too much money. So there!"

Gimm
08-04-2004, 11:54 PM

Agreed.

He **** all over White Sox history in 2003 by setting the budget at only 50 Mill in what should have been THE most special season of the last century - what with ASG and pennant anniversaries and all.

He's been dead to me ever since.

Lip Man 1
08-05-2004, 02:04 AM
I think the Sox are going to try to rebuild on the fly and that's going to prove difficult since the Twins and Indians look to be ahead of them in this respect especially in terms of quality and quantity of young talent.

The next two / three years could be difficult ones.

Lip

JRIG
08-05-2004, 07:46 AM
You know what is really disturbing about all of this? Just imagine what next season will be like if, for some reason, Frank Thomas isn't with the Sox. Think about it. Frank is not likely to decline his option for next season, but what he did? What if the Sox decided not to bring him back?

I shudder when thinking about a Sox lineup that does not include Thomas and Ordonez (since he's definitely gone). If we have to watch this bull**** again next season, well... I can't even describe how bad things will become.

Wait a sec...JR is the reason this team is built with players who can't get on base, won't take pitches, and is over-aggressive at the plate? I always thought that would fall under the responsibility of the GM. But then again, KW is bulletproof.

mrwag
08-05-2004, 08:25 AM
Wait a sec...JR is the reason this team is built with players who can't get on base, won't take pitches, and is over-aggressive at the plate? I always thought that would fall under the responsibility of the GM. But then again, KW is bulletproof.The "core" of this team is from the Schueler (sp?) era - slow, strong, power hitting guys. I'd take the Larry Himes teams from the early 90's over this crap any day. He built around speed, pitching, defense, and fundamentals (wow, what a combo!). This team is built around the long ball and playing station-to-station, and we see what the end result is with 83 win seasons.

It's going to take a few years probably to completely reverse the trend. Borchard is (hopefully) the last of the previous era and I think we all need to give KW and the new "grinder" philosophy a few years to permeate the minors and the big league club before we completely get on his case.

You can see where it's headed with his aggressiveness for pitching, and Ozzie would definitely perform better under the new team make-up. Give it time.

JRIG
08-05-2004, 08:30 AM
The "core" of this team is from the Schueler (sp?) era - slow, strong, power hitting guys. I'd take the Larry Himes teams from the early 90's over this crap any day. He built around speed, pitching, defense, and fundamentals (wow, what a combo!). This team is built around the long ball and playing station-to-station, and we see what the end result is with 83 win seasons.

It's going to take a few years probably to completely reverse the trend. Borchard is (hopefully) the last of the previous era and I think we all need to give KW and the new "grinder" philosophy a few years to permeate the minors and the big league club before we completely get on his case.

You can see where it's headed with his aggressiveness for pitching, and Ozzie would definitely perform better under the new team make-up. Give it time.
Yeah, but KW is also the guy who's een touting Borchard as a better prospect than Reed, so it doesn't really seem things will change much at all.

owensmouth
08-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Rebuild the team...just like the Bulls.

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Wait a sec...JR is the reason this team is built with players who can't get on base, won't take pitches, and is over-aggressive at the plate? I always thought that would fall under the responsibility of the GM. But then again, KW is bulletproof.I agree. I don't know how you can blame JR for this year. Losing Frank and Maggs were the biggest problems, but KW's failure to even try to replace them is criminal. When I say "try" I mean actually bringing someone in, not just burning up the phone lines. Also, once again, starting the season with 4 pitchers and then needing to give away 3 top prospects for one during the season was a lousy move too.

jdm2662
08-05-2004, 08:41 AM
The '90 team is my all-time favorite team. Here's why:

They won 94 games. This was without:

A player that had more than 18 home runs
A .300 hitter
A pitcher that didn't win more than 14 games

They got on base and they manufactored runs and ofund ways to win. It didn't hurt they had a great bullpen too. That's the kind of team Ozzie wants, but he's not going to get it with the current group.
________
Oregon dispensary (http://oregon.dispensaries.org/)