PDA

View Full Version : Twins: 13-2 in Last 15 Games

Brian26
08-04-2004, 11:25 PM
I couldn't believe this when I just looked it up. Does that make you want to puke or what? They're 14-3 in their last 17. Just absolutely sick.

Brian26
08-04-2004, 11:29 PM
Since July 1, they're 20-10...even that pace is sick. Winning two out of every three games will win you some championships pretty easily.

StepsInSC
08-04-2004, 11:30 PM
Unboriboburu!

Mohoney
08-04-2004, 11:33 PM
I couldn't believe this when I just looked it up. Does that make you want to puke or what? Their 14-3 in their last 17. Just absolutely sick.

As great as they have been, and as terrible as we have been, I can't believe that we are only 6 games out. If we can win tomorrow, and Anaheim can at least take ONE DAMN GAME in the dome, we're only 5 out.

If, on September 1st, this team hasn't pulled to within 2 games, then I throw in the towel. But it's still just a little too early right now for me to officially mail it in. Not when we still have 6 games left with the Twins in September.

Yes, we're definitely on life support right now, and another subpar outing tomorrow coupled with a Twins win could be the final nail in the coffin, but if we can leave Kansas City only 5 or 6 games out of 1st, we still have a chance.

ChiSox14305635
08-04-2004, 11:35 PM
I may be in the minority here, but I still think Minnesota is in for a major slump. Should it happen, the Sox need to take advantage of it and erase that deficit.

Brian26
08-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Not when we still have 6 games left with the Twins in September.
This is a misconception a lot of people seem to have- that all of these remaining games against the Twins are a good thing.

If we even SPLIT with the Twins, we make up NO GROUND. If we take 4 of 6, we only make up 2 games. You can't bank your hopes and dreams that we're going to take 5 of 6 or sweep these guys. The chances of that happening are the same as us getting swept by them. Realistically, 4 wins out of 6 games is great, yet that only gives us 2 games.

We need to make up the games NOW against teams like KC and Detroit. We're in trouble.

Nard
08-04-2004, 11:40 PM
The Twins have already slumped. They got swept by Detroit before the break and dropped 3 out of 4 to KC right after.

Since then, their games have contributed to this absurd 14-3 streak.

3Peater
08-04-2004, 11:41 PM
This is a misconception a lot of people seem to have- that all of these remaining games against the Twins are a good thing.

If we even SPLIT with the Twins, we make up NO GROUND. If we take 4 of 6, we only make up 2 games. You can't bank your hopes and dreams that we're going to take 5 of 6 or sweep these guys. The chances of that happening are the same as us getting swept by them. Realistically, 4 wins out of 6 games is great, yet that only gives us 2 games.

We need to make up the games NOW against teams like KC and Detroit. We're in trouble.
No doubt. KC blows out Schoenweis,and the Twins get 7 innings from Lohse, who couldn't get past the 5th inning in any outing since the All-Star break.

Maybe Shannon Stewart is very important tothe Twins. Since his return after the break, MN has out-scored the opponents 100-70. Doesn't hurt that Morneau is the cleanup guy. Another bomb tonight.

Evman5
08-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Yes, we're definitely on life support right now, and another subpar outing tomorrow coupled with a Twins win could be the final nail in the coffin, but if we can leave Kansas City only 5 or 6 games out of 1st, we still have a chance.
I mean, damn, you know we are in trouble when Minnesota is playing a playoff contender and we are playing the worst team in the AL and we have to hope we escape Kansas City 1 or 2 games worse than when we came in. that is pathetic!

Lip Man 1
08-04-2004, 11:52 PM
Yea that 'difficult' schedule was really going to brutalize them...

Folks when you have to start relying on 'difficulty' of schedules to help you, the team is in serious stuff.

Lip

Mohoney
08-04-2004, 11:54 PM

That's why I also said that we need to be within 2 games on September 1st. That was exactly the thinking I had in mind. Win 4 of the 6, and we're back to even. Then just hope that we play 1 game better than they do down the final stretch.

ClaudelSleptHere
08-05-2004, 01:19 AM
Yea that 'difficult' schedule was really going to brutalize them...

Folks when you have to start relying on 'difficulty' of schedules to help you, the team is in serious stuff.

Lip
In the past couple of weeks, one of the few rays of hope for Sox fans has been the Twins' "harder schedule." The faulty logic here is that a lot of Sox fans seem to think that the Sox and the Twins are equal, and that if we struggle with difficult teams, they will struggle with them too. I think it might be time to admit that Minnesota is A LOT better than us, now that they are healthy and we are not. Those "hard" games may not look so hard to a good team, especially when the Sox can not win a series against the "easy" teams. Barring injuries to the Twins similar to the ones the Sox have suffered, it may be time to start rooting against the competition for the wild card.

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2004, 01:21 AM
Justin Morneau looks like he is what we hoped Joe Borchard would be.

StillMissOzzie
08-05-2004, 01:43 AM
What scares me the most is how the Twinkies have been mowing down the "good" teams in their "more difficult" remaining schedule (2 of 3 from Boston, won the 1st two from the Angels), while the Sox continue to struggle against the crappy teams like the Tigers and the Royals. Unless that changes, but FAST, the games the Sox have left against the Twinks will be meaningless. We will HAVE to sweep them, and the way things look right now, I just don't see it happening. Even if we get the miraculous recoveries of both Frank and Maggs, it may be a case of too little too late - AGAIN.

SMO
:angry:

Malgar 12
08-05-2004, 01:46 AM
The Twins have already slumped. They got swept by Detroit before the break and dropped 3 out of 4 to KC right after.

Since then, their games have contributed to this absurd 14-3 streak.
Its amazing what smelling blood in the water will do for a quality team. Damn Twinkies!:angry:

FightingBillini
08-05-2004, 03:13 AM
I am absolutely disgusted with the White Sox right now. As someone posted on another thread, they have give up. When they get down, they dont score at all. This team lost its fight. They were playing a HORRIBLE pitchers today. I dont care if he has potential or if he has done good in the past, this year he sucks. We should have pounded him. It is made even worse than this guy pitched 9 today. The 2004 Sox have showed they are just as gutless and spineless as the teams from the last few years. These guys need to visit the wizard to get some damn heart.

The worst part of this is that the Twins are a joke. Clearly the worst division leading team, they have no chance at advancing in the playoffs. Santana cant pitch every game. They have a few good pitchers, and a few decent hitters. No stars on that team at all. For people who call Torri Hunter a star, I say look at his stats. He is awesome defensively, but not all that much with the bat. He is the best they have to offer. You know a team is nothing when the only compliment you have for them is "fundamentally sound" (believe me, I would love to call the Sox that right now). Minnesota is a minor league team, and we just rolled over for them last week. Even without Frank and Maggs, we are a far better team than the Twins. We were better when we pounded Cleveland two straight, and we were better when we had the comeback win against the Tigers. Now since we got swept by the Twins we are the worse team? I think not. The Twins last two series have come against two very talented but erratic teams. While I believe nobody has more talent than the Red Sox, they always seem to play bad against worse teams. The Angels are also much much better than the Red Sox, but they are injured and inconsistent. Strangely enough, I think the Indians will put up more of a fight for the Twins than the Red Sox or Angels right now. Dont think for a second that their win streak means they are a good team. Its not who you play, but when you play them.

This team needs to get a clue and a collective spine. They need to play like men. If they care so very little for and show utter disrespect to their franchise, the city and the fans they represent, and seemingly the game they play, they should at least think about their wallets. Nobody is increasing next years paycheck right now. For a lifeless team that rolls over for the AAA Twins and Tigers, and the A-Rookie League Royals, they can hopefully use greed to fill the void left by their departed desire to win and pride in what they do.

ClaudelSleptHere
08-05-2004, 03:55 AM
I am absolutely disgusted with the White Sox right now. As someone posted on another thread, they have give up. When they get down, they dont score at all. This team lost its fight. They were playing a HORRIBLE pitchers today. I dont care if he has potential or if he has done good in the past, this year he sucks. We should have pounded him. It is made even worse than this guy pitched 9 today. The 2004 Sox have showed they are just as gutless and spineless as the teams from the last few years. These guys need to visit the wizard to get some damn heart.

The worst part of this is that the Twins are a joke. Clearly the worst division leading team, they have no chance at advancing in the playoffs. Santana cant pitch every game. They have a few good pitchers, and a few decent hitters. No stars on that team at all. For people who call Torri Hunter a star, I say look at his stats. He is awesome defensively, but not all that much with the bat. He is the best they have to offer. You know a team is nothing when the only compliment you have for them is "fundamentally sound" (believe me, I would love to call the Sox that right now). Minnesota is a minor league team, and we just rolled over for them last week. Even without Frank and Maggs, we are a far better team than the Twins. We were better when we pounded Cleveland two straight, and we were better when we had the comeback win against the Tigers. Now since we got swept by the Twins we are the worse team? I think not. The Twins last two series have come against two very talented but erratic teams. While I believe nobody has more talent than the Red Sox, they always seem to play bad against worse teams. The Angels are also much much better than the Red Sox, but they are injured and inconsistent. Strangely enough, I think the Indians will put up more of a fight for the Twins than the Red Sox or Angels right now. Dont think for a second that their win streak means they are a good team. Its not who you play, but when you play them.

This team needs to get a clue and a collective spine. They need to play like men. If they care so very little for and show utter disrespect to their franchise, the city and the fans they represent, and seemingly the game they play, they should at least think about their wallets. Nobody is increasing next years paycheck right now. For a lifeless team that rolls over for the AAA Twins and Tigers, and the A-Rookie League Royals, they can hopefully use greed to fill the void left by their departed desire to win and pride in what they do.
I can feel your frustration, but you are sadly mistaken if you think the Twins are not a good team, and it is an even bigger mistake to think that the Sox are "a far better team than the Twins." So they don't have stars? How many stars did the Angels have two years ago? How about the Marlins last year (one!)? Also, it's not who you play or when you play them.......it's how YOU play when you're playing them. Also, if the Red Sox always play bad against worse teams, and you think no one has more talent than them, how in the heck did they get a winning record? All their wins didn't come against the Yankees, you know. I hope no one in White Sox management shares your beliefs and thinks this team just needs a little tweaking. Oh, but I do agree with you when you say you wish you could call the Sox fundamentally sound. So do I..........but I'm sober.

Nellie_Fox
08-05-2004, 04:09 AM
There is no way that the Sox, as currently constituted, are a better team than the Twins. It's one thing to be a fan, it's another to be unrealistic.