PDA

View Full Version : What time is it? *checks wristwatch* Time to start rooting for the Twinkies.

Nard
08-04-2004, 11:12 PM
The division race is over. Not that 6 games is insurmountable, but the Twinkies are rolling. Those ****ers might not lose another series this year.

But much more importantly, the Baggiedomers have:

4 games remaining against Oakland
5 games remaining against Anaheim
7 games remaining against Texas
10 games remaining against the Jndjans

And Anaheim plays some against Oakland and Texas. And Texas still plays some against Oakland and Anaheim. And Oakland still plays some against Anaheim and Texas.

If the AL West (minus that one other team in... Oregon?) can continue to beat up on itself and if the Carmines continue their freefall, the Twins can almost single-handedly win us the wild card.

JB98
08-04-2004, 11:21 PM
The division race is over. Not that 6 games is insurmountable, but the Twinkies are rolling. Those ****ers might not lose another series this year.

And Anaheim plays some against Oakland and Texas. And Texas still plays some against Oakland and Anaheim. And Oakland still plays some against Anaheim and Texas.

If the AL West (minus that one other team in... Oregon?) can continue to beat up on itself and if the Carmines continue their freefall, the Twins can almost single-handedly win us the wild card.

Sorry, dude, I can't bring myself to root for Torii and the boys.

RKMeibalane
08-04-2004, 11:27 PM
:threadsucks

Shoeless Joe
08-04-2004, 11:28 PM

During this time of desperation...it does actually make sense to root for the Twins. I've seen teams lose their lead in the division before though (the 95' Angels come to mind) but if Minnesota keeps winning Sox fans have no choice but root for them in order to make the playoffs. But let's keep the faith alive.

QueerGirrl
08-04-2004, 11:28 PM

Agreed

StepsInSC
08-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Should I infer from this quality post that you'd just rather see the Sox not in the playoffs if it meant the Twins helped us get there by winning?

Or are you holding out hope for a division title?

Brian26
08-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Actually, what we all NEED to do is start rooting for the Padres, Phillies, or Giants. As of today, as crazy as this sounds, I believe the Cubs were tied for the lead in the Wild Card race in the NL or were leading outright. I can't take another year of the stress involved with rooting against these guys NOT to make the World Series before the Sox. Pray to whatever you pray to and whomever you believe in - that these guys dont make the playoffs.

MRKARNO
08-04-2004, 11:34 PM
I think I would rather root for the Yankees..:o:

RKMeibalane
08-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Or are you holding out hope for a division title? I am. I still have an ample supply of Sox Kool-Aid in my refridgerator.

Nard
08-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Brian brings up a crucial point.

SF and SD's importance has, I thought, been there, but mainly on the backburner.

But the Cubs are tied with SD for first in the wild card race as of right now.

StepsInSC
08-04-2004, 11:37 PM
I am. I still have an ample supply of Sox Kool-Aid in my refridgerator.
Well in that case, share the love baby! :gulp:

Brian26
08-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Brian brings up a crucial point.

SF and SD's importance has, I thought, been there, but mainly on the backburner.

But the Cubs are tied with SD for first in the wild card race as of right now.
I'm not saying get the voodoo dolls and candles out yet, but let's start rooting for the Padres or Giants to break away from the pack. I barely survived last September and October. I don't want to have to deal with Nomarmania running wild all over town this Fall. I'll have to move to Wisconsin.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Actually, what we all NEED to do is start rooting for the Padres, Phillies, or Giants. As of today, as crazy as this sounds, I believe the Cubs were tied for the lead in the Wild Card race in the NL or were leading outright. I can't take another year of the stress involved with rooting against these guys NOT to make the World Series before the Sox. Pray to whatever you pray to and whomever you believe in - that these guys dont make the playoffs.

Correct. We cannot sink to the level of rooting for the Twinkies, we have to root for some of those NL teams.

LASOXFAN
08-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Root for the twins. wow. Can't I just french kiss a basset hound instead?

RKMeibalane
08-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Correct. We cannot sink to the level of rooting for the Twinkies, we have to root for some of those NL teams.
I've actually been rooting for the Phillies to win the Wild Card. I don't want to see Bonds in the post-season again, and I don't think the Padres have enough to overtake the Flubs. Philadelphia, on the other hand, does have enough talent to get the job done. I guess the question is, can they actually live up to the hype for once?

Nard
08-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Good old Chacon comes in with a runner on and 2 outs in the bottom of the eigth. The Flubs score 4 runs.

As if you didn't need any more proof that Scrub fans are like a cancerous fungus, take a look at the Coors Field fans right now.

I'd say a solid 30% are in Cub gear, 60% rooting against the home team.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-05-2004, 12:09 AM

and you call yourself a sox fan. :tsk: pity.

BlackAndWhite
08-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Root for the twins. wow. Can't I just french kiss a basset hound instead?

ROFL! I asked my basset for you, and she's not interested. :tongue:

mcfish
08-05-2004, 12:18 AM

Boston? Cleveland?

Nard
08-05-2004, 02:14 AM
Boston? Cleveland?"10 games remaining against the Jndjans"

"...and if the Carmines continue their freefall..."

I can see the concern with Boston, but their freaking awful defense and unsure pitching from Wakefield, Arroyo, etc., are very capable of blowing their run for the wild card.

Plus we still have 7 game with 'em. We still gotta take control.

And let's get serious here... Cleveland? They're two games behind us at this point, playing teams like KC and Toronto. Now that's bad.

Of course, we still gotta take care of them in these upcoming series.

mcfish
08-05-2004, 03:49 AM
"10 games remaining against the Jndjans"

"...and if the Carmines continue their freefall..."

I can see the concern with Boston, but their freaking awful defense and unsure pitching from Wakefield, Arroyo, etc., are very capable of blowing their run for the wild card.

Plus we still have 7 game with 'em. We still gotta take control.

And let's get serious here... Cleveland? They're two games behind us at this point, playing teams like KC and Toronto. Now that's bad.

Of course, we still gotta take care of them in these upcoming series.Our freaking awful defense and unsure pitching from Schoenweis, Garland, our whole bullpen minus Shingo, plus our horrible offense that shows up about once every 8 games are very capable of blowing our run for the wild card.

Plus they still have 6 games with us. And their offense hasn't been slumping for the last 6+ weeks.

Also, I wouldn't write off Cleveland yet. They probably won't win the wild card - but they are a threat to catch and pass us in the standings. And you say "playing teams like KC and Toronto" on the day KC shut us out 11-0, also apparently not recalling that Toronto beat the Sox 4 games out of 7 this year, including a sweep in Toronto - in May when we were healthy. If Cleveland is mopping up on KC and Toronto, it's more than the Sox seem to be capable of.

ChiSoxBobette
08-05-2004, 07:20 AM

While You're at it why don't you start rooting for the scrubs.
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :mad: :mad: :mad:

SOXSINCE'70
08-05-2004, 08:16 AM
The race is over,but i'd rather root for the A's than that PUNK Torii Hunter and the Baggiedomers who can only win 'cause they turn on the AC whenever they come to bat.:angry: :angry: :angry:

SOXSINCE'70
08-05-2004, 08:18 AM
Go Phiilies!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: It's nice to see Jim Thome and Bobby Abreau in any league other than the A.L.:D: :D:

Realist
08-05-2004, 08:25 AM
I hate the slack jawwed bag licking Twins more than poison, but IF they beat us out and go to the playoffs instead of us (heaven forbid) I will do as I did last year. I will cheer the Twins on all the way to the World Series if neccessary.

Last September they beat our behinds and I can respect that. I tipped my hat to them and hoped that they beat the Yankees as bad as they beat us. They did not. I sincerly hoped they'd win the WS last year.

Until we are mathematicly eliminated, I will hope the Twins lose every game. Hell, I even wouldn't mind if the entire franchise came down with a terrible dose of food poisoning that lasted until October 15th. It ain't over yet.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

wdelaney72
08-05-2004, 09:06 AM
In NO WAY do I cheer for the Twinkies.

I agree it's not looking good for us now, but that doesn't mean I start cheering for the division rival.

Their uniform says "Minnesota", not "Chicago", and they play their games in a garage. They get no love from me.

bobj4400
08-05-2004, 09:42 AM
AMEN. I agree 100%...

bobj4400
08-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I thought the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor? :bandance:

Johnny Mostil
08-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Should I infer from this quality post that you'd just rather see the Sox not in the playoffs if it meant the Twins helped us get there by winning?

Or are you holding out hope for a division title?I know others have raised something like this point on other threads, but I'll add here that even if the Twinks were to "help" the Sox get to the postseason, right now I just don't see this team doing much in it. (Put another way, right now I doubt I'd even bother getting tix for the one or two games that would be played in the Cell.) If I'm wrong, then I don't care how they get there (and I'll be happy to be surprised by TV). If I'm right, then I don't see much point about backing into a wild card.

SoxFan78
08-05-2004, 10:44 AM
I'll start cheering for the Twins as soon as I get my first sCrUBs jersey and a foam cheesehead to match.

Jerko
08-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Any team that loses 11-0 to KC with a 1-9 pitcher on the mound and no Sweeney in the lineup should worry about themselves and not wonder where "help" is gonna come from. It's getting to the point where the Sox are going to have to sweep Minnesota, Boston AND Oakland to even get close to the top of either race (division or WC). Oak, Ana, and Tex I think still have a lot of games against each other, so yes, they will lose their fair share, but last i checked all 3 of those teams are ahead of the Sox and they're going to win their fair share too. The Sox can NOT lose any more games to the Royals. Period.

Johnny Mostil
08-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Any team that loses 11-0 to KC with a 1-9 pitcher on the mound and no Sweeney in the lineup should worry about themselves and not wonder where "help" is gonna come from. It's getting to the point where the Sox are going to have to sweep Minnesota, Boston AND Oakland to even get close to the top of either race (division or WC). Oak, Ana, and Tex I think still have a lot of games against each other, so yes, they will lose their fair share, but last i checked all 3 of those teams are ahead of the Sox and they're going to win their fair share too. The Sox can NOT lose any more games to the Royals. Period.
Amen, Elder J.

OurBitchinMinny
08-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Why dont we just all lose our values and root for a cubs twinkies world series?

Honestly it will be a cold day in hell before I root for the twinkies and/or cubs