PDA

View Full Version : I'm throwing in the towel....

MRKARNO
08-04-2004, 08:59 PM
I know it's still only August 4th, but I think I've officially given up on this team. I just get these terrible vibes coming from this team. The Twins have been playing over their heads....for 4 months and show no signs of slowing. We're not good enough to win the Wild Card either. If we had both Thomas and Ordonez, then I think this year is a different story, but I just don't see this team going anywhere this year. I really thought that we'd be good enough to be a 91 win team, but it doesnt appear that we will be. I know there will be a billion optimists all over me in a second, but this team just doesnt have the offense without Thomas and Maggs to win 5 more games than the Twins in the next 2 months. I wish I wasn't saying what I just said and even 10 days ago I might have thought this talk to be absolutely foolish, but that 7 game losing streak is going to prove to be the undoing of this team. Is it possible for the White Sox to come back? Yes, but it's going to take a brilliant run, something I just dont think the Sox have left in them. I really hope that I can look at this a few weeks later and laugh about my total lack of faith in this team, but I dont see that happening

eurotrash35
08-04-2004, 09:02 PM
I'm not ready to give up just yet, but I'm definitely not as optimistic as I was. It depends on how soon we can get Frank back, he's the heart and soul of our order. If we can keep this hole we're in from getting bigger we should be fine. Oh, and if we get SS the hell out of the starting rotation and into the bullpen where he belongs.

TornLabrum
08-04-2004, 09:08 PM
As long as Scott Schoeneweis is in the starting rotation, I give this team no hope.

Nard
08-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Good for you.

What was that idea floating around about moving all the "the season is over" posts to one single thread?

jkrohn
08-04-2004, 09:09 PM
The problem is, who the heck is our 5th starter going to be? With only two days off for the rest of the year, we NEED someone. I guess going to a four man rotation is a possibility but I don't see it happening. Sure, SS has been HORRIBLE since he started off 5-2, but will Diaz fare any better?

Win1ForMe
08-04-2004, 09:12 PM
I know it's still only August 4th, but I think I've officially given up on this team. I just get these terrible vibes coming from this team. The Twins have been playing over their heads....for 4 months and show no signs of slowing. We're not good enough to win the Wild Card either. If we had both Thomas and Ordonez, then I think this year is a different story, but I just don't see this team going anywhere this year. I really thought that we'd be good enough to be a 91 win team, but it doesnt appear that we will be. I know there will be a billion optimists all over me in a second, but this team just doesnt have the offense without Thomas and Maggs to win 5 more games than the Twins in the next 2 months. I wish I wasn't saying what I just said and even 10 days ago I might have thought this talk to be absolutely foolish, but that 7 game losing streak is going to prove to be the undoing of this team. Is it possible for the White Sox to come back? Yes, but it's going to take a brilliant run, something I just dont think the Sox have left in them. I really hope that I can look at this a few weeks later and laugh about my total lack of faith in this team, but I dont see that happeningYeah, glad to have you on the team. Us pessimists will show you a good time, guaranteed.
:bandance:

cheeses_h_rice
08-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Still 2 months of ball left to be played, and a lot of wacky stuff can happen in this game.

Never say die ('til we're mathematically eliminated).

MRKARNO
08-04-2004, 09:24 PM
a lot of wacky stuff can happen in this game.

Yeah, like making Brian Anderson, the single worst starting pitcher in major league baseball look like Randy Johnson

kittle545feet
08-04-2004, 09:28 PM
i agree. its over. we had a good run and played some good ball but i don't think there is anything left in the tank. even if thomas and maggs don't go down, i don't think we would have had enough to stay ahead in the long run. there are just too many guys on this team who are too inconsistent, while a couple look like they shouldn't even be playing at all. schoenweiss sucks, garland has got to go 'cause i have seen enough to know he will never pan out (can someone say scott ruffcorn),marte has no control and has had a bad year, mike jackson sucks and is as old as moses, harris just flat out sucks and brings nothing to the table, (i didn't think it was possible to get someone worse than chris singleton, but we did), crede has a great glove but his hitting is putrid (don't tell me about his big GW rbi's, he needs to do it other times), uribe is showing he is really a back-up, valentin is the most over-paid ss in the leauge and its time he was replaced, ben davis is not the answer at catcher nor is jaime burke and alomar is too old to get it done, gload can't be a go to guy along with timo perez, neither can carry a team. maybe we all thought this team was a little better than what it truly was. GO BEARS!:whiner:

pudge
08-04-2004, 09:36 PM
You're starting to see some of the biggest cheerleaders (KARNO, Jurr) face reality now, so it really must be over. I've tried to stay as positive for as long as possible. I gave up on the '03 team well before most people did. But this year seemed different to me. Crede hit that homer off Urbina and I thought maybe we could still do it. But now I can see that the Twins are a much better team, again.

Gimm
08-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Can't throw in the towel but this is getting unwatchable.

Sox need a RF. Sox need a 5th starter (Diaz?). An OBP top-of-the-order man. Schoeneweiss goes to the pen and replaces Cotts.

Seriously Brian Anderson???? My god.

Viva Magglio
08-04-2004, 09:44 PM
I'd love to see the spin the rose-colored glasses-wearing optimists put on this game. Getting shelled is one thing, but getting shut out by one of the worst starting pitchers in baseball is beyond me.

The Sox are not dead; they are terminal.

kittle42
08-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Hey. Everybody gets blown out once in a while. But Texas and Minny don't plan on losing anytime soon, apparently.

6 and 4.5? Ugh.

inta
08-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Hey. Everybody gets blown out once in a while. But Texas and Minny don't plan on losing anytime soon, apparently.

6 and 4.5? Ugh.

well i officially gave up a week ago today.
but jesus, this is worse than i thought it would be. we're getting owned by KC and DET, while MN is blowing away BOS and ANA...

samram
08-04-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm willing to give it until the end of the KC series in Chicago next week. If they're within three by then, there's still a chance, otherwise, it's over. The Sox just don't have a 8-10 game win streak in them to make a lot of ground up quickly.

Gimm
08-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Minnesota just broke the tie and is leading 6-3.

And you just watch, instead of sitting on their hands, they're gonna get a couple quality players in a waiver deal and not even give the Sox a chance to get back.

When Minnesota out-everythings you, it's disturbing.

dickallen15
08-04-2004, 10:04 PM
6 out, with the Sox attitude is like being 15 out. After trailing by 7 after 1 inning tonight, they gave up. They don't have a hit since Rowand led off the game with a double. They have given up, not just this game, but the season. Its really sad.

Brian26
08-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Yeah, like making Brian Anderson, the single worst starting pitcher in major league baseball look like Randy Johnson
Tonight is a major downer. Meanwhile, the Twins are up again, and we're looking at being 6 in the hole. Not a good feeling.

Viva Magglio
08-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Tonight is a major downer. Meanwhile, the Twins are up again, and we're looking at being 6 in the hole. Not a good feeling.The only thing keeping the White Sox alive is the proverbial ventilator. The fact that we're getting one-hit by a pitcher with a 1-9 record and 6.94 ERA is beyond words.

ndgt10
08-04-2004, 10:23 PM
The only thing keeping the White Sox alive is the proverbial ventilator. The fact that we're getting one-hit by a pitcher with a 1-9 record and 6.94 ERA is beyond words.
I know Raul Mondesi is a supposed "cancer", but why not pick him up. How could it freaking hurt our lifeless team right now?

DVsoxfan
08-04-2004, 10:36 PM
I hope no players look @ this thread. On the other hand, maybe itll pump them up and they will win. I wish. Meanwhile, the Cubs are off winning the WS. Am I dreaming...This really bites.:(:

JB98
08-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Good to see the optimists around here are starting to accept reality. You really shouldn't get all worked up and hopeful. I'll support the Sox until Game 162, but Danny Mac was right yesterday: It's over. Just enjoy what's left of the season as best you can and pray the Cubs lose. That's all we have left.

BTW, I'm still waiting for the Twins to start struggling with that "difficult schedule."

Jurr
08-04-2004, 10:48 PM
It's as over as it can get. Done. You don't have to cancel the post game show.

michned
08-04-2004, 10:54 PM
i agree. its over. we had a good run and played some good ball but i don't think there is anything left in the tank...
I still say when Uncle Jerry went on the air with Hawk a week ago, that was the '04 version of the White Flag Trade. If Jerry were serious about winning this year KW would have picked up a hitter at the deadline - anyone with half a life left in them. How on earth could they almost have Delgado and when that falls through they have no Plan B???

But the message sent was "we're playing for next year" (what else is the Contreras deal?). This is a team in a so-called pennant race playing Joe Borchard for crying out loud.

RavenswoodFan
08-04-2004, 10:54 PM
This team has gone flat line__________________
Maybe still some hope, but probably not.:whiner:

munchman33
08-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Okay, I'll say it. You all need to take some

:prozac

Seriously.

Yeah, the team got down on itself after that first inning. It happens. And six back is significant. But there's a TON of baseball left to be played, including head to head games with the Twins. Tomorrows another day. Keep the hope alive! :smile:

Jurr
08-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Munchman...sorry, dude. you're delusional. Dose of reality...this team is done. No heart. Not enough talent. The guys here don't believe in themselves enough to win. Game over.

WSox8404
08-04-2004, 11:08 PM

Seriously.

Yeah, the team got down on itself after that first inning. It happens. And six back is significant. But there's a TON of baseball left to be played, including head to head games with the Twins. Tomorrows another day. Keep the hope alive! :smile:
Hold on, lets get this straight. We are talking about the WHITE Sox here, not the Red Sox. Just wanted to clarify that. WE ARE DONE!!!

ma-gaga
08-04-2004, 11:12 PM
How on earth could they almost have Delgado and when that falls through they have no Plan B???
Please. Everyone knew that Delgado had a no trade clause. Delgado was on record saying that he wasn't going to waive his no trade clause. Delgado is hitting 0.224 this year. To rely on, or call Delgado "Plan A", "B" or "C" would be foolish.

KW tried, but I don't think there was enough out there to trade for, and I don't think the Sox have enough good prospects left for decent value. Once "Plan A" went down with injuries, the W.Sox were in trouble. They played 7-8 games on adrenaline, then ran out of steam. This is the team you have. Reliant on two big studs whom are hurt.

gosox41
08-04-2004, 11:15 PM
I know it's still only August 4th, but I think I've officially given up on this team. I just get these terrible vibes coming from this team. The Twins have been playing over their heads....for 4 months and show no signs of slowing. We're not good enough to win the Wild Card either. If we had both Thomas and Ordonez, then I think this year is a different story, but I just don't see this team going anywhere this year. I really thought that we'd be good enough to be a 91 win team, but it doesnt appear that we will be. I know there will be a billion optimists all over me in a second, but this team just doesnt have the offense without Thomas and Maggs to win 5 more games than the Twins in the next 2 months. I wish I wasn't saying what I just said and even 10 days ago I might have thought this talk to be absolutely foolish, but that 7 game losing streak is going to prove to be the undoing of this team. Is it possible for the White Sox to come back? Yes, but it's going to take a brilliant run, something I just dont think the Sox have left in them. I really hope that I can look at this a few weeks later and laugh about my total lack of faith in this team, but I dont see that happening
You should have been like me. Don't get your hopes up but be happy if they win. The disappointment hurts a lot less if you would realize that this team wasn't very good to begin with. Subtract Frank and Magglio and you have a bad team.

Speaking of that, did you hear the one about the GM who did everything in his power to force the best hitter in franchise history out of town only to see it fail. He's also the same GM who almost trade an All Star RFer for Nomah. So in a way this GM did get his wish of getting rid of the teams 2 best players.:rolleyes:

Bob

RavenswoodFan
08-04-2004, 11:16 PM

Seriously.

Dude, Prozac doesn't change reality! It only makes it more bearable! Give me some until October!

Lip Man 1
08-04-2004, 11:16 PM
What can you say?

Someone earlier posted the Twins are 'playing over their heads...'

Folks you don't play 'over your heads' for four months...through numerous injuries, a new turf surface and free agent losses.

Give the Devil his due.

When Minnesota outperforms the Sox for four consecutive years, it's not a fluke, it's not luck. They have better, more well rounded players, players schooled in the fundamentals, and an exceptional front office who knows how to spot and develop talent. In large part because they don't rush them up to the bigs after a season.

As Sox fans who know better, let's not embarrass ourselves anymore by saying the Twins are 'lucky...'

And yes it's over.

At least one positive comes out of this, after four underachieving excuse filled seasons, this club is probably going to be blown up. One can only hope the next 'five year' rebuilding plan actually works.

Lip

gosox41
08-04-2004, 11:17 PM
What can you say?

Folks you don't play 'over your heads' for four months...through numerous injuries, a new turf surface and free agent losses.

Give the Devil his due.

When Minnesota outperforms the Sox for four consecutive years, it's not a fluke, it's not luck. They have better, more well rounded players, players schooled in the fundamentals, and an exceptional front office who knows how to spot and develop talent. In large part because they don't rush them up to the bigs after a season.

As Sox fans who know better, let's not embarrass ourselves anymore by saying the Twins are 'lucky...'

And yes it's over.

At least one positive comes out of this, after four underachieving excuse filled seasons, this club is probably going to be blown up. One can only hope the next 'five year' rebuilding plan actually works.

Lip
The problem is KW should have blown up this club after 2003.

Maybe JR will blow KW up. I can always dream.

Bob

MRKARNO
08-04-2004, 11:22 PM
You should have been like me. Don't get your hopes up but be happy if they win. The disappointment hurts a lot less if you would realize that this team wasn't very good to begin with. Subtract Frank and Magglio and you have a bad team.
I disagree with you. This was a team that not ten days ago looked like they could easily be a playoff team. They lost 4 consecutive 1 run ballgames. That's a combo of a lack of heart, but mostly just bad luck. Without Maggs and Frank this team isn't a bad team, just a mediocre team. This is a good team that had a legitimate chance to do some damage in the postseason this year, but a few bad bounces here and there and we're at where we are now.

Lip Man 1
08-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Bob:

Never going to happen. As long as Uncle Jerry owns the club, the job is Kenny's as long as he wants it.

Lip

MRKARNO
08-04-2004, 11:26 PM
I really dont see a lot of changes happening to this team this offseason. 4/5 of the starting rotation is already under contract or in the case of Garland, we have the rights to. Konerko will be back. Thomas will be back. Everett has a player option which he'll probably take. Lee will be back, Rowand, Davis, etc. I would expect the team next year to take on a form very similar to the one you see this year unless KW decides to trade everyone, which is very doubtful given his eternal win now strategy

StepsInSC
08-04-2004, 11:36 PM
What can you say?

Give the Devil his due.

And yes it's over.

Lip
I don't agree that its over, but AMEN to the part about the Twins. They get it done, period.

Lip Man 1
08-04-2004, 11:40 PM
Karno:
Frank and one other 'power' core guy will be back. That leaves three others gone. Take your pick but I feel it'll be Maggs, Lee and Valentin out the door.

Lee simply because he'll bring the most back in trade.

To me that's a big turnover.

Lip

Gimm
08-05-2004, 12:08 AM
. They played 7-8 games on adrenaline, then ran out of steam. This is the team you have. Reliant on two big studs whom are hurt.It could be argued that loss of Mauer, Stewart and Hunter as well as injuries to Menkewitz and Koskie (neither player looks the same as last year) hurt the Twins as much as loss of Thomas and 830 OPS Magglio hurt the Sox.

Don't tell me the Twins have a better starting rotation to compensate for their rather ordinary offense.

And yet here they are killing the likes of White Sox, Red Sox and Angels.

Nick@Nite
08-05-2004, 12:12 AM
It's obvious this team lacks anyone wanting to get after it, to grind it out, to show some guts, and to lead others to do the same. Others call it a lack of character, having no heart, etc. I call it pathetic. When your opponent runs a bona-fide stiff at you, and you make him look like Warren Spahn, that's embarrassing. What's there left to say? Ozzie already had his come-to-Jesus-dugout-meeting after the Sox were embarrassing themselves against the Angels a month ago.

Down 0-7 after the first inning? Shut it down. Down 0-9 after two? Aw hell, just mail it in. Forget about the fact that you dropped a dozen the night before. Get way behind early? Oh well. Hey, any good bars in KC?

I'm taking a break. I have stuff to do, things I must get done the next couple of months. Sure, I'll keep an eye open, my ears tuned in to what's happening with the Sox and the standings. But I've inventested enough emotional capital on a team that lays down so easily, so meekly.

If this was 1919, I would speculate that everyone seems to have their price. But who am I kidding. These guys would never consider doing anything that would require THAT level of effort. In this day and age, it's easier to give just up.

michned
08-05-2004, 12:16 AM
I really dont see a lot of changes happening to this team this offseason. 4/5 of the starting rotation is already under contract or in the case of Garland, we have the rights to. Konerko will be back. Thomas will be back. Everett has a player option which he'll probably take. Lee will be back, Rowand, Davis, etc. I would expect the team next year to take on a form very similar to the one you see this year unless KW decides to trade everyone, which is very doubtful given his eternal win now strategy
I would be very surprised to see Lee back. His contract is affordable to most teams and he might fetch two good players/prospects in return. I think Konerko could be gone too, if not before the season then by July 31 for a prospect. I see an overhaul coming...

The South Side..."grinder" capital of the world!!

michned
08-05-2004, 12:19 AM
It's obvious this team lacks anyone wanting to get after it, to grind it out, to show some guts, and to lead others to do the same.
I still believe in Ozzie Ball, just with a lot of new players next year!

jcirish85
08-05-2004, 12:32 AM
Did anyoen not see this loss coming? I knew they would get spanked, not this badly. A pitcheer coming in with a 1-9 record and a high ERA and then they cant figure him out. Rediculous.

StockdaleForVeep
08-05-2004, 12:34 AM

Why didnt you quit on the team last night when we scored 12 runs on kc and minnesota won? Oh thats right, because it woulda seemed foolish to crap out on a team that won a game.

iftypofixit
08-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned but to all those who have been deeming our season over, please look at last year. We had an amazing start in the second half, then down the stretch we blew it. I have the feeling that Minnesota got hot at the wrong time. If we can play good baseball against them, we can pull it off just as they did last year.

pudge
08-05-2004, 03:17 AM
Don't know if this has been mentioned but to all those who have been deeming our season over, please look at last year. We had an amazing start in the second half, then down the stretch we blew it. I have the feeling that Minnesota got hot at the wrong time. If we can play good baseball against them, we can pull it off just as they did last year.
This is not some kind of knee-jerk reaction to an ugly loss today, this is looking at a team without two of its best offensive players, and a team that fields a .220 hitting SS, a .230 hitting 3B, backups in RF, a weak hitting 2B, a suspect bullpen, and no solid #4 or #5 pitchers. When you consider all that, the Twins are much more well rounded. We flat out have a lousy team, especially with our 2 stars hurt.

StockdaleForVeep
08-05-2004, 03:42 AM
Munchman...sorry, dude. you're delusional. Dose of reality...this team is done. No heart. Not enough talent. The guys here don't believe in themselves enough to win. Game over.
I suppose the braves had a dose of reality when a 40+ age pitcher threw a perfect game against them. Really destroyed their team didnt it. Lack of heart there not getting 1 hit\walk\error

Now granted this KC nobody has a horrid record but you know what, IT HAPPENS! Should we laugh at every team that buehrle beat in his rookie season because he was a 200th pick in a draft and expected to do nothing? KC has 38 wins, 36 of these wins against OTHER BALL CLUBS. People are treating this like this is a team we never beat before.

and Hey! ANYONE recall about a month ago KC pasted minnesota 12-3!?! Baltimore also got blanked 7-0 So wow, we're not the ONLY TEAM to get blown out by KC. I guess minnesota and baltimore's a bunch of no talent yuks as well to lose to these feeble royals.

if you cant support this team when they need it most then get the fluff off the clubhouse forum, you people do nothing but moan and complain about what you think is wrong. Then once they make the playoffs all these forgotten children will come skampering back going "we won we won!"

granted we could not make the playoffs, and i will then willingly eat crow, but its not even remotely close to being over

Your depressive moans and rants are unfounded, theres 58-57 ball games left, take a pepto bismol and watch the rest of the season.

I feel like im defending my views to a bunch of cub fans, seriously. I shouldnt have to defend why to have faith in this bloody team.

MRKARNO
08-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Why didnt you quit on the team last night when we scored 12 runs on kc and minnesota won? Oh thats right, because it woulda seemed foolish to crap out on a team that won a game.
Because I still felt they had a prayer then. Minny was facing a good team while throwing out their worst pitcher last night while we were facing the worst pitcher in baseball. Not only did the worst pitcher in baseball beat us for his first win since April 18th, he got a 2 hit complete game shutout. I took that as the official white flag on the season

owensmouth
08-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Because I still felt they had a prayer then. Minny was facing a good team while throwing out their worst pitcher last night while we were facing the worst pitcher in baseball. Not only did the worst pitcher in baseball beat us for his first win since April 18th, he got a 2 hit complete game shutout. I took that as the official white flag on the season
Okay... bye

MRKARNO
08-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Okay... bye
Care to explain this comment?

I'm still going to follow this team because funny things do happen in baseball and we have a very favorable schedule for making up 6 games on the Twins, it's just that I can't reasonably expect it anymore.

owensmouth
08-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Care to explain this comment?

I'm still going to follow this team because funny things do happen in baseball and we have a very favorable schedule for making up 6 games on the Twins, it's just that I can't reasonably expect it anymore.
Oh, I thought you were leaving

Hangar18
08-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Can't throw in the towel but this is getting unwatchable.

Sox need a RF. Sox need a 5th starter (Diaz?). An OBP top-of-the-order man. Schoeneweiss goes to the pen and replaces Cotts.

Seriously Brian Anderson???? My god.
thats the previously 1-9 Brian Anderson. As for a RF, Magglio Ordonez
will soon be available. 5th starter, maybe we can make a trade, and the team we trade with will GIVE AWAY a pitcher on top of that. OBP top of order guy... Nomar Garciaparra WAS available ....dont understand why we werent trying to get him ......... seeing how CHEAP he came ......

Yeah......... I got a bad feeling about these bozo's after the cub series.
The team QUIT last nite .... you could see it. Im officially conceding
the season. When are we calling for KW/JR's head.

MRKARNO
08-05-2004, 10:40 AM
When are we calling for KW/JR's head.
As far as I'm concerned, not this year because if Maggs and Thomas arent injured, I dont see this team being where it is now....but then again you can blame our lack of a fifth starter as being another reason we didnt get it done. I wont be among those blaming the lack of a fifth starter as the problem because these same people were the ones upset because we didnt sign Colon or Ponson

CubKilla
08-05-2004, 11:30 AM
I suppose the braves had a dose of reality when a 40+ age pitcher threw a perfect game against them. Really destroyed their team didnt it. Lack of heart there not getting 1 hit\walk\error

Now granted this KC nobody has a horrid record but you know what, IT HAPPENS! Should we laugh at every team that buehrle beat in his rookie season because he was a 200th pick in a draft and expected to do nothing? KC has 38 wins, 36 of these wins against OTHER BALL CLUBS. People are treating this like this is a team we never beat before.

and Hey! ANYONE recall about a month ago KC pasted minnesota 12-3!?! Baltimore also got blanked 7-0 So wow, we're not the ONLY TEAM to get blown out by KC. I guess minnesota and baltimore's a bunch of no talent yuks as well to lose to these feeble royals.

if you cant support this team when they need it most then get the fluff off the clubhouse forum, you people do nothing but moan and complain about what you think is wrong. Then once they make the playoffs all these forgotten children will come skampering back going "we won we won!"

granted we could not make the playoffs, and i will then willingly eat crow, but its not even remotely close to being over

Your depressive moans and rants are unfounded, theres 58-57 ball games left, take a pepto bismol and watch the rest of the season.

I feel like im defending my views to a bunch of cub fans, seriously. I shouldnt have to defend why to have faith in this bloody team.
After reading that post, you sound just as delusional as most Cub fans pre-2003.

KingXerxes
08-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Why is it anybody needs to declare whether they're "in" or "out"?

Hell - I don't think the Bulls are going to win 25 games next year, but I'll still watch and root for them. Being a fan - at least in my book - doesn't mean that I have to carry unbridled optimism relative to whatever team I cheering for.

That all being said, I don't think the White Sox are "out of it", there's too far to go.

Gimm
08-05-2004, 12:37 PM
thats the previously 1-9 Brian Anderson. As for a RF, Magglio Ordonez
will soon be available. 5th starter, maybe we can make a trade, and the team we trade with will GIVE AWAY a pitcher on top of that. OBP top of order guy... Nomar Garciaparra WAS available ....dont understand why we werent trying to get him ......... seeing how CHEAP he came ......

Yeah......... I got a bad feeling about these bozo's after the cub series.
The team QUIT last nite .... you could see it. Im officially conceding
the season. When are we calling for KW/JR's head.
We need a RF NOW (unless of course you like losing 1-run games and falling further behind Minnesota), not 5 weeks from now when MAYBE Magglio's edema will subside.

Garciaparra would have cost too much, in salary and prospects - watching him with the Cubs, he is a singles hitter who won't draw walks. How long will that achilles hold anyway? Sorry, that's not worth 3 quality prospects and about 4 Mill. Besides, you just know Valentin is due for one of his patented sun-hot streaks after a July slump....

I would get the following players for cheap and then save up the money on one killer acquition a week from now:

-Lofton (Rowand moves to RF, problem solved)
-Robbie (#2 against rhp.....Rowand, Lofton are 1-2 against lhp)

JRIG
08-05-2004, 12:42 PM
I'm a little lazy right now and didn't read the entire thread, but wanted to point this out if it hasn't been already...

If the Twins just play .500 baseball the rest of the way, the Sox have to go 35-23 from here on out to catch them.

That's just not going to happen. Not without Frank and Mags. This thing is just about over.

Not to mention the fact that Cleveland now has as many wins as our beloved Sox.

SOXSINCE'70
08-05-2004, 12:48 PM
I thought he looked like Sandy Koufax.:D: :D: :D:

alohafri
08-05-2004, 01:48 PM
I practically begged Mr. Aloha not to get season tix this year. I figured it was a waste of money...and I was right. I thought the increased attendance this year would inspire JR to spend some $$ and replace Frank and Maggs while they are recovering. Instead, we bring up a lousy outfielder who plays baseball like a clueless little-leaguer, we pick up a cheap injury-prone has-been "hitter" and replace one suspect starting pitcher with another. That's the thanks Sox fans get.

Now I'm stuck with several more games to suffer through before this miserable season comes to its sorry end. With nothing to look forward to next year.

----Mrs. Aloha:(:

steff
08-05-2004, 05:19 PM
I practically begged Mr. Aloha not to get season tix this year. I figured it was a waste of money...and I was right. I thought the increased attendance this year would inspire JR to spend some $$ and replace Frank and Maggs while they are recovering. Instead, we bring up a lousy outfielder who plays baseball like a clueless little-leaguer, we pick up a cheap injury-prone has-been "hitter" and replace one suspect starting pitcher with another. That's the thanks Sox fans get.

Now I'm stuck with several more games to suffer through before this miserable season comes to its sorry end. With nothing to look forward to next year.

----Mrs. Aloha:(:

Well.. that was an enlightening post. :?:

Gimm
08-05-2004, 05:28 PM

----Mrs. Aloha:(:Get a hold of yourself, woman. Sox will be just fine. This year and next.

batmanZoSo
08-05-2004, 05:41 PM
I'm willing to give it until the end of the KC series in Chicago next week. If they're within three by then, there's still a chance, otherwise, it's over. The Sox just don't have a 8-10 game win streak in them to make a lot of ground up quickly.
This team is so pathetic it makes me wanna puke. To get shutout by that miserable pitcher is not only laughable, it's spectacularly laughable. Minnesota is probably laughing at us after that. As well they should be.

This team has to be broken up and retooled or we'll be back where we are next year. We keep trying to make it back with basically the same 2000 team and for the fourth time in a row, it's failed. For the last time, they just DO NOT HAVE IT. 2000 was a fluke. You need complete ballplayers to win division titles. This is the last time I put faith in this team as it is.

The sad thing is we might have already blown our chance. Cleveland and Detroit figure to be much better next year and Minnesota is clearly never going to die. We'll finish fourth unless we revamp this team.

Gimm
08-05-2004, 05:46 PM
The Sox just don't have a 8-10 game win streak in them to make a lot of ground up quickly.

Two words: Tampa Bay. Winner of 14 of 15 at one point.

Explain that one.

FanOf14
08-05-2004, 05:48 PM

Explain that one.
Lou Pinella? :?: lol, just playing. As is goes anything is possible...

steff
08-05-2004, 05:48 PM

Explain that one.
They pump sleeping gas into the visitors dugout..??

FanOf14
08-05-2004, 05:49 PM
The pump sleeping gas into the visitors dugout..??
I like that one better, since you have the ins, why not mention it to Oz or Kenny? :?: :D: :wink:

batmanZoSo
08-05-2004, 05:51 PM

Your d...epressive moans and rants are unfounded, theres 58-57 ball games left, take a pepto bismol and watch the rest of the season.

The difference between us and Minnesota is that they'll get pasted by KC in May when it doesn't matter and we'll get shutout by the worst pitcher in the game when we absolutely positively must get on a roll. Last night proved that this team is out of it. This just does not happen to a team with any chance in hell of making the playoffs. Brian Anderson didn't have a good game, the Sox just bent over and let him shut them out.

They don't have the right attitude to make a comeback that in all seriousness would rival the Mets of 69 or the Mariners of 95. Their confidence is nill, and face it their talent isn't much better without Frank and Maggs.

steff
08-05-2004, 05:52 PM
I like that one better, since you have the ins, why not mention it to Oz or Kenny? :?: :D: :wink:

I tell you what.. tat wou no be nice... :wink:

FanOf14
08-05-2004, 05:53 PM
I tell you what.. tat wou no be nice... :wink:
LOL!!! :bandance:

inta
08-05-2004, 10:15 PM

Explain that one.
TB has actually been working on improving their team for a few years now.

alohafri
08-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Well.. that was an enlightening post. :?:
I might add that this post has nothing to do with the company we keep at the ball games. Mrs. Aloha is the anti-Cub fan. She doesn't want to spend money on a losing product.

She learned her lesson with Eastern Airlines! ;)

voodoochile
08-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Get a hold of yourself, woman. Sox will be just fine. This year and next.

You know, I hope you're right, but I think KW actually is going to try and "remold the team in his image" and that scares me a bit. If this team were left alone AND Frank and Maggs BOTH return and play up to their expectations, they would be contenders again next year.

I don't think KW has that much patience...:?:

RavenswoodFan
08-05-2004, 10:55 PM
Another losing streak in progress? God this is really pissing me off!:angry:

voodoochile
08-05-2004, 10:55 PM
This team is so pathetic it makes me wanna puke. To get shutout by that miserable pitcher is not only laughable, it's spectacularly laughable. Minnesota is probably laughing at us after that. As well they should be.

This team has to be broken up and retooled or we'll be back where we are next year. We keep trying to make it back with basically the same 2000 team and for the fourth time in a row, it's failed. For the last time, they just DO NOT HAVE IT. 2000 was a fluke. You need complete ballplayers to win division titles. This is the last time I put faith in this team as it is.

The sad thing is we might have already blown our chance. Cleveland and Detroit figure to be much better next year and Minnesota is clearly never going to die. We'll finish fourth unless we revamp this team.
Revamp it by getting Frank and Maggs back and they should be (would be) fine...

OEO Magglio
08-05-2004, 10:56 PM
You know, I hope you're right, but I think KW actually is going to try and "remold the team in his image" and that scares me a bit. If this team were left alone AND Frank and Maggs BOTH return and play up to their expectations, they would be contenders again next year.

I don't think KW has that much patience...:?:
Voodo, I agree with you and I disagree. I think if the sox had everyone back they could win this division easily, however I know I'm tired of seeing this group just fall apart when they need to win ballgames, I'd rather have a team of "grinders," then a team of sluggers but that's just me.

voodoochile
08-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Voodo, I agree with you and I disagree. I think if the sox had everyone back they could win this division easily, however I know I'm tired of seeing this group just fall apart when they need to win ballgames, I'd rather have a team of "grinders," then a team of sluggers but that's just me.
Give me an example of a grinder...

If a grinder is Shannon Stewart, I'll take one. If a grinder is TorIIIIIIII Hunter, I'll take two. If a grinder is a Magglio Ordones, a Frank Thomas or a Carlos Lee, I'll take a couple of them too.

Talent wins championships. Attitude is great, but give me ATHLETES who care instead of athletes who CARE...

And of course ATHLETES who CARE are the best thing to have of all...:D: :cool:

Gimm
08-05-2004, 11:17 PM

If a grinder is Shannon Stewart, I'll take one. If a grinder is TorIIIIIIII Hunter, I'll take two. If a grinder is a Magglio Ordones, a Frank Thomas or a Carlos Lee, I'll take a couple of them too.

Talent wins championships. Attitude is great, but give me ATHLETES who care instead of athletes who CARE...

Aaron Miles is a prototypical grinder. Uribe is more talented in every way, but Miles is simply a better player right now. When you understand why, you'll unlock the secret of Grinderdom - at least as Kenny and I understand it.

Don't get me wrong, you still need your Josh Becketts and I-Rods and Mariano Riveras to win the Championship, but a team with a modest payroll has GOT to have its good share of grinders - on offense AND pitching.

StillMissOzzie
08-05-2004, 11:32 PM
It's not like I'm gonna jump ship and root for another team - EVER - but just how much can someone take of this stuff?

* Lost 9 of last 10 overall, including 3 to the Twinkies at home
* Went 2-4 on last road trip against the two worst teams in the division
* Can't win a MUST game to save their lives
* Watch Garland suffer yet another BIG inning in tonight's loss
* Re-acquired Robbie Alomar for just what need?

I smell desperation on KW's part. Maybe it would be different with Frank and/or Maggs coming back anytime soon, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen either.

SMO
:angry: :whiner:

Mots09
08-05-2004, 11:56 PM
I said if we could keep this to 4 to 5 games before we play Minnesota I thought we might have a charge in us.... I am now officially throwing the towel in.....

OurBitchinMinny
08-05-2004, 11:59 PM
After losing 2/3 to the might KC Royals Im fighting the urge to do the same. We pretty much cant lose to the twins anymore and have to win against crap like detroit and kc once in a while

JGarlandrules20
08-06-2004, 12:10 AM
I said if we could keep this to 4 to 5 games before we play Minnesota I thought we might have a charge in us.... I am now officially throwing the towel in.....I'm sick of all these "im throwing in the towel" threads. I don't think anyone cares if you're all ready giving up on the sox.

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-06-2004, 12:12 AM
I'm sick of all these "im throwing in the towel" threads. I don't think anyone cares if you're all ready giving up on the sox.
Sorry to say it, but anybody who has your moniker cannot be taken seriously.:D:

OurBitchinMinny
08-06-2004, 12:13 AM
what have you seen in this team that makes you think they are gonna turn it around? They cant hit, they cant field. They have like 2 and a half quality starters (by the way garland sucks right now...hell of game he tossed tonight). And they have one guy in the bullpen you can count on right now. Things are not looking too good. Their best hitter is gone for the season and so is their highest OBP guy. Its not over yet, but the fat lady is warming up

OurBitchinMinny
08-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Sorry to say it, but anybody who has your moniker cannot be taken seriously.:D:
But hes so dreamy....Who cares if he cant get through a game without having one gigantic collapse in an inning?

JGarlandrules20
08-06-2004, 12:17 AM
But hes so dreamy....Who cares if he cant get through a game without having one gigantic collapse in an inning?
Lol, you're so mean.

I just put it up today. I thought..it would bring..him luck. :redface:

Ok, maybe not.

South Side
08-06-2004, 12:19 AM
what have you seen in this team that makes you think they are gonna turn it around? They cant hit, they cant field. They have like 2 and a half quality starters (by the way garland sucks right now...hell of game he tossed tonight). And they have one guy in the bullpen you can count on right now. Things are not looking too good. Their best hitter is gone for the season and so is their highest OBP guy. Its not over yet, but the fat lady is warming up

So, for the next 2 months after every loss are we going to have 20 new threads declaring when each person gives up? This is annoying... and I am not even complaining b/c I am optimistic and still have hope b/c half of me feels the same way but we don't need everyone bitching about it. If you've given up... that's too bad, sorry... but we don't need everyone's individual story on when and where you were when you decided that the Sox are going no where.

OurBitchinMinny
08-06-2004, 12:23 AM
Lol, you're so mean.

I just put it up today. I thought..it would bring..him luck. :redface:

Ok, maybe not.
I know, im just giving you a hard time. I actually still think garland can be a good pitcher if he can learn to stay out of the one bad inning. Hes got the stuff. He also is not one of the main reasons this team is in a tailspin. He usually keeps them in every game

WSox8404
08-06-2004, 12:24 AM
I'm sick of all these "im throwing in the towel" threads. I don't think anyone cares if you're all ready giving up on the sox.

I suggest you think about changing your sig. J Garland clearly does not rule. He clearly sucks.

OurBitchinMinny
08-06-2004, 12:26 AM
So, for the next 2 months after every loss are we going to have 20 new threads declaring when each person gives up? This is annoying... and I am not even complaining b/c I am optimistic and still have hope b/c half of me feels the same way but we don't need everyone bitching about it. If you've given up... that's too bad, sorry... but we don't need everyone's individual story on when and where you were when you decided that the Sox are going no where.First of all, I didnt start the thread. Second off all why dont you read the whole post before you respond. When did I say i threw in the towel. The way they embarrassed themselves in detroit and kc its hard not to and i understand why people have. But there are still 2 months left to play. Im still holding out hope one of maggs and frank gets back. Now we actually are going to have a major league second baseman and contreas looked solid. So learn to read before you jump all over someone elses post. Not once did i say i was throwing in the towel in that post. I just was saying that if this team continues to play the way it has since the all star break its done. If they turn it around. Right now they arent playing baseball the way it was meant to be played.

JGarlandrules20
08-06-2004, 12:33 AM
I suggest you think about changing your sig. J Garland clearly does not rule. He clearly sucks.It's also my username so I can't/won't change it. Hopefully he will "rule" his next start.:smile:

Brian26
08-06-2004, 12:36 AM
So, for the next 2 months after every loss are we going to have 20 new threads declaring when each person gives up? This is annoying...
Yeah, it's quite annoying. Are we supposed to keep a dry-erase board mounted next to our computers while people announce when they are throwing in the towel?

"Honey, cross off FoulkeYou and MrKarno tonight! Who's left?"

VeeckAsInWreck
08-06-2004, 12:36 AM
It's also my username so I can't/won't change it. Hopefully he will "rule" his next start.:smile:
Nice Sig, is it just me or does the pic look like an album cover?:?:

John Garland's Shower songs!:cool:

ma_deuce
08-06-2004, 12:41 AM
As bad as it looks, I'm not giving in yet. Too much season to go. Frank may be back soon. Maggs could be available in September. As long as there is a chance, I will hold out.

:yup:

Deuce

Nellie_Fox
08-06-2004, 12:56 AM
Nice Sig, is it just me or does the pic look like an album cover?Yeah, from the Back Sync Boys.

South Side
08-06-2004, 01:05 AM
First of all, I didnt start the thread. Second off all why dont you read the whole post before you respond. When did I say i threw in the towel. The way they embarrassed themselves in detroit and kc its hard not to and i understand why people have. But there are still 2 months left to play. Im still holding out hope one of maggs and frank gets back. Now we actually are going to have a major league second baseman and contreas looked solid. So learn to read before you jump all over someone elses post. Not once did i say i was throwing in the towel in that post. I just was saying that if this team continues to play the way it has since the all star break its done. If they turn it around. Right now they arent playing baseball the way it was meant to be played.
I wasn't directly referring to you. It was a general message. Although, you certainly sound like you've thrown in the towel. You've been the most vocal on this board about the season being over and how badly they've been playing. There is nothing wrong with this, you're certainly entitled to your opinions. I'd hate to see what you have to say when you really do "throw in the towel".

Snake58134
08-06-2004, 01:06 AM
We should get rid of valentin and call up that kid we got from the billy koch trade. At least he probably could hit something other than a hr or strikeout like jose! Also, get jerry hairston jr. and pavano or clement!!!!

South Side
08-06-2004, 01:26 AM

Huh?

hellenicsoxfan
08-06-2004, 01:29 AM
I know, im just giving you a hard time. I actually still think garland can be a good pitcher if he can learn to stay out of the one bad inning. Hes got the stuff. He also is not one of the main reasons this team is in a tailspin. He usually keeps them in every gameUnfortunately, Garland seems to be a text book example of a guy with a $5 million arm but a 5 cent head. There'll be times when he is showing flashes of brilliance, the Sox will score a couple of runs for him and then he'll immediately walk a few guys, give up a 3 run homer, and there goes the lead. He's still young, but he's been pitching in the majors long enough and has a good enough arm that it is time for him to do more than keep them in a game; it's time for him to step up, pull the team up when they are struggling and go out and do everything necessary to WIN an important game.

mcfish
08-06-2004, 02:53 AM
Yeah, it's quite annoying. Are we supposed to keep a dry-erase board mounted next to our computers while people announce when they are throwing in the towel?

"Honey, cross off FoulkeYou and MrKarno tonight! Who's left?":rolling: :roflmao: :kneeslap::worship:
I was going to say the same thing with not nearly as wittily. I'm glad you beat me to it.

StockdaleForVeep
08-06-2004, 02:57 AM
I said if we could keep this to 4 to 5 games before we play Minnesota I thought we might have a charge in us.... I am now officially throwing the towel in.....

So your saying on record its 100% impossible for us to sweep minnesota and gain major momentum from this and minnesota declines from this and us retaking the central?

Nellie_Fox
08-06-2004, 03:39 AM
So your saying on record its 100% impossible for us to sweep minnesota and gain major momentum from this and minnesota declines from this and us retaking the central?Minnesota is a better team than it was a month ago. The Sox are markedly worse than they were a month ago.

Nothing is 100%, but probably 90%?

pinwheels3530
08-06-2004, 04:27 AM
I am not giving up, but I feel really down about the sox like everyone else here. I stiil will go to the rest of the games I have left on my season package, I might even take a trip to cleveland to watch them play and hope they snap out of the miserable way this team is playing, GO SOX!!!:(:

OEO Magglio
08-06-2004, 11:03 AM

And of course ATHLETES who CARE are the best thing to have of all...:D: :cool:Shannon Stewart would be a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I want guys that can get on base, that can run, steal, BUNT. Guys that take the ball to the opposite field, clutch hitters, guys with good baseball iq's. Get rid of some of the one dimensional guys like Jose and even carlos who just swing for the fences every time. I think maggs is going to be gone even with his injury, I have no problem with Frank, Pauly, and Carl being in the middle of the order, I just hate having guys from 3-8 who only try yanking the ball out of the yard.