PDA

View Full Version : Uribes Swing Mechanics .....Are They Sloppy?

Hangar18
08-04-2004, 02:42 PM
Watching the game at a local watering hole last nite with a buddy
of mine, he pointed out something that I definitely noticed the last
few games. Uribes swing is NOT what it was in April. He had a nice
shortened stroke, ala Aaron Rowand. Anyone else think his mechanics
are getting him in trouble?

The Cheat
08-04-2004, 02:44 PM
His Swing is still shorter than Crede's

OurBitchinMinny
08-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Just my opinion, but he got off to a hot start and hit a few HRs. From the limited games I have seen it looks like he is trying to crush the ball on strike 1 and strike 2 and then is just guessing on strike 3. I wish he would try and go the other way more often. we dont need him to hit HRs

jabrch
08-04-2004, 02:46 PM
He never had good mechanics at the plate. He corkscrews himself way too much and overswings. That's how he hits.

OEO Magglio
08-04-2004, 02:53 PM
His swing is still short enough, the problem is he's always bailing before the pitch gets to him making it almost impossible for him to hit a pitch on the outside half of the plate, hard.

Kogs35
08-04-2004, 02:55 PM
its not his swing its his footing.

Huisj
08-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Yeah, some times he falls backwards when his back foot comes off the ground, other times he spins around wildly on his front foot, and other times he's just kind of flat footed. his feet area all over the place, and he doesn't seem to have real good balance when he swings.

AddisonStSox
08-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Yeah, some times he falls backwards when his back foot comes off the ground, other times he spins around wildly on his front foot, and other times he's just kind of flat footed. his feet area all over the place, and he doesn't seem to have real good balance when he swings.
I think Ed Farmer said it best. With Uribe's ugly swing, hes going to be very streaky. He'll be hot for weeks and then fall into the 12 for last 107 slump he is currently in. Maybe Walker can straighten him out, but I think this is the Uribe we will be accustomed to.

Tekijawa
08-04-2004, 04:04 PM
He has one of the Ugliest swings I've ever seen. I remember earlier on thinking how is this guy hitting the ball all the time? Everything is moving all over the place....

joeynach
08-04-2004, 04:17 PM
I do think his early success had a lot to do with him being new to the AL and basically unkown. He was placed in the #2 hole as a career no name .250 hitter. Not very intimidating to a pitcher. So for the first 2 months nobody knew who he was, what his weakness was, if he can actually hit, etc. So as a newbie he saw a lot of pitches to hit, a lot of fastballs over the plate wheras the pithers would think he was an easy out with his crappy career BA. He proved them wrong for a little bit then he screwed himself by doing to well and now they wont feed into him at all and hes back to his .250 hitting self.

PorkChopExpress
08-04-2004, 04:22 PM
His head and body follow the ball as it comes in. Sometime he looks like he's trying to snatch the ball mid-pitch like a grizzly grabbing a fish. It looked hard to make a powerful swing that way, and I think he liked hitting the longball, so he doesn't do it as much anymore.

ND_Sox_Fan
08-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Pretty much - It is his initial stride. His front foot automatically flies open and points toward the pitcher. No hitter who does this is going to have any sort of balance. Try this and then swing as hard as you can.

I like swing as hard as you can approach with less than two strikes, but a more controlled approach with two would be nice to see - more like a no-stride Mike Sweeney swing. In either situation, I don't like him flipping the front foot open right away!

munchman33
08-04-2004, 05:18 PM
I've been studying his swing the last few weeks, and I've noticed he tries almsot exclusively to pull the ball, even when the pitch is outside. I'm not sure if he was doing this early in the year, but it certainly sticks out. Even some of the best HR hitters can't pull a fastball away.

08-04-2004, 05:25 PM
He looks like he is chopping down a tree...he falls down after he swings all the time...I did that in little league!

whitesoxwilkes
08-04-2004, 06:39 PM
I have no idea how he makes contact...ever...but it sure is sweet when he does.

His arms are always cocked, as though he's definitely trying to fist/punch the ball, while his legs are like rubber and way behind his hands. Definitely can't say he's got a power hitter's swing.

Foulke You
08-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Uribe also tends to have a very violent swing a la Vlad Guerrero. What he doesn't have that those guys have is good footing and balance like previous posters have said. It looks like he has too much vertical motion in his body (almost like he bending down to kneel). I imagine he picked up these habits in Coors Field swinging for the fences all the time.

awesomefan
08-04-2004, 06:58 PM
I've been complaining about how awful Uribe's swing has been. I can't imagine why someone can't get him to stop.

The bad footing thang could be the problem, but I feel it's Uribe's problem if he refuses to develop a decent stroke.

I feel almost the same about Carl Everetts style ala Gary Sheffield with the bat wiggle wiggle wiggle. This excess constant movement of a batter should not be allowed because it is too distracting to the pitcher.