PDA

View Full Version : Harris' OBP...

nodiggity59
08-04-2004, 01:37 PM
...Is .359. A quick comparison for 2Bs:

Womack .346

Giles .386

Castillo .363

Now, those three players can hit and are better at stealing, but I don't understand why a guy who gets on base at a reasoanble clip and plays good defense can't be our #9 hitter, particularly since Rowand is producing at leadoff and Uribe isn't hot any more.

Basically, I'm happy with Willie trotting out there every day and batting 9th.

samram
08-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Well, one problem seems to be that Willie, like most of the Sox players, is streaky. He has stretches where it seems like he is on almost everytime, and then it'll seem about four or five games where he's never on. Maybe increased playing time can solve that problem, but it would be nice if his OPS wasn't the result of good and bad streaks, and he was more consistent.

SoxxoS
08-04-2004, 01:56 PM
His OPS is awful.

Dadawg_77
08-04-2004, 01:58 PM
His OPS is awful.
Because his bat lacks any pop. The only way he gets on base is walks or singles. His ISO power is .048 last time I check, and that is awful. He still gets on base at .350 clip but without any power you need to be up around .370 or so.

JDP
08-04-2004, 01:59 PM
Castillo hasn't really been worth a lick on the basepathes since '02. While Willie is the ultimate punch-and-judy hitter, he is, percentage-wise, better on the pathes than most. However, he doesn't steal enough to see what his SB/CS ratio would be had he attempted 40+ like the other two.

If Willie, who sits at .266 AVG, .359 OBP, 12-4 on the pathes could just hit a few points higher, and actually start stealing bases at a 80+ attempts a year clip, I don't doubt that Willie could have a season of . 275-.370, 60-20. That's what KW is probably still hoping/banking on, and I know I would like to see that at the top of the lineup. The fact that Willie doesn't get many extra base hits would be irrelevant -- if he put up those numbers, I'd be happy seeing him bunt 40+ times a year for singles, getting a ton of other infield hits, duck-snorting singles into the outfield or walking -- just get on base an run Forrest, run!

jackbrohamer
08-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Because that gives them two guys who have no business hitting above the #9 spot, Harris and whoever is catching that day

Frater Perdurabo
08-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Because his bat lacks any pop. The only way he gets on base is walks or singles. His ISO power is .048 last time I check, and that is awful. He still gets on base at .350 clip but without any power you need to be up around .370 or so.

So what if he doesn't have any power. You don't need power to be a leadoff hitter or a #9 hitter. You just need to get on base. Of course I'd like to see him get on base MORE, but I don't care if he never hits a home run.

I like Harris at #9 better. Let's get Frank Catalanotto to lead off and move Rowand to #2.

PorkChopExpress
08-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Didn't you see that monster triple yesterday?

poorme
08-04-2004, 02:39 PM
i don't see any better alternatives.

jabrch
08-04-2004, 02:44 PM
His OPS is awful.
IT SHOULD BE - he is a leadoff hitter type. I don't care how many extra bases he gets. If he tried to increase his OPS by hitting more extra base hits, his avg/obp would fall through the floor and he'd pop up too much. The OPS of Willie Harris is as important to me as properly sizing a bicycle to purchase it for my dog.

sendimjoey
08-04-2004, 02:47 PM
With a .266 BA and a .359 OBP, Harris seems to have an acceptable walk rate (roughly, .359 - .266 = .093), so I do wonder if regular playing time would help him maintain a higher batting average. Besides, batting average fluctuates a lot more than walk rate. Two extra hits a month equals 12 more hits, or nearly 22 points on the batting average over the course of a year (edit: assuming 550 ABs) -- .288 and .381 would look awfully good. (The problem is that he's had huge fluctuations in his effectiveness this year, so I understand why his PT has been inconsistent.)

I winced earlier this year when I read that KW said Harris was taking too many pitches. That's what we want a leadoff hitter to do, and patience is one of Harris's best attributes as a hitter.

habibharu
08-04-2004, 02:48 PM
IT SHOULD BE - he is a leadoff hitter type. I don't care how many extra bases he gets. If he tried to increase his OPS by hitting more extra base hits, his avg/obp would fall through the floor and he'd pop up too much. The OPS of Willie Harris is as important to me as properly sizing a bicycle to purchase it for my dog. he already pops up too much!

SoxxoS
08-04-2004, 02:50 PM
he already pops up too much!
That is just what I was about to write.

jeremyb1
08-04-2004, 06:02 PM
I saw that Harris' OBP was still up around .360 the other day despite his plunging batting average and I was really impressed. I meant to start a thread suggesting we reinstate him in one of the first two spots in the lineup. There's really no reason Uribe should be playing everday over Willie at this point when we completely lack any on base skills outside of Carlos, Paully, and recently Rowand now that Maggs and Frank are out.

MRKARNO
08-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Because that gives them two guys who have no business hitting above the #9 spot, Harris and whoever is catching that day
Ben Davis has been improving and is actually hitting .303 with the White Sox. I know it's a small sample size, but I have a feeling that he'll be better than a 9 hitter when it's all said and done this year

mcfish
08-04-2004, 11:23 PM
he already pops up too much!Then he should be doing a lot of pushups.

mcfish
08-04-2004, 11:31 PM
I saw that Harris' OBP was still up around .360 the other day despite his plunging batting average and I was really impressed. I meant to start a thread suggesting we reinstate him in one of the first two spots in the lineup. There's really no reason Uribe should be playing everday over Willie at this point when we completely lack any on base skills outside of Carlos, Paully, and recently Rowand now that Maggs and Frank are out.
Given that Jose #2 (Jose #1 being Contreras) sucks more than either Willie or Juan at this point, and that our best middle inflied this year both offensively and defensively was when Jose #2 was hurt, I'd say that that should be the regular middle infield for the rest of the year. Maybe one or both of them would benefit from stability in playing time. At least it couldn't get worse.