PDA

View Full Version : Upbeat after a promising victory....

OzzieBall2004
08-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Its no secret that our bats are usually silenced by pitchers we havent faced, and we threw that notion out the window today. Also, Contreras showed great stuff, with the exception of a few problems with his control (heck, he only walked one though) and what looked like a lack of communication between him and Davis. He gave up 4 runs, 2 earned mostly due to shotty defense. Ultimately though, we really didn't learn much today because we played a crummy team.

I really think Contreras will turn out to be a big boost for our staff. He had a lot of positive things to say about the team and the change of scenery (LINK:ESPN recap (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240803107) ), and I think the fact that he has two Spanish speaking quality arms on the team (Garcia and Marte), a majority of the players speak Spanish, a veteran catcher in Alomar that speaks Spanish, and last bust not least a laid back Spanish speaking manager to come out and relay Coops message to him, will really help him work his kinks out. He's too good not too.

It's pivotal we cut this lead down to 3 or hopefully 2 in the next week and a half. Granted Minny didn't do us a favor today by giving it to Anaheim, but we can only control putting W's in our win column. If we can do what we did today against Cleveland and Detroit on a regular basis, we should play our way right back into this thing. Hopefully Frank can be back for September, and hopefully Maggs....oh forget it, thats too damn big a longshot....

Hopefully the waivers will be generous to us as well, and we can add a leadoff guy like Lofton or someone in his mold, another power bat (paging Carl Everett?), and maybe some relief help that is familiar with the concept of throwing strikes.

Its a tall order to expect us to rebound and take this division with the team as is, but it's even more foolish to write them off with 2 whole months of ball left to be played. So lets all sit back, relax, and hopefully enjoy the show.

Evman5
08-04-2004, 01:17 AM
I want us to go on a mad St Louis like run from now to the end of the season. Winning or tying almost every series! That would be great!

Mohoney
08-04-2004, 02:33 PM
There certainly were a lot of positives from Contreras last night. He seems to have confidence in his offspeed stuff in any count. It's nice to have guys like Garcia, Buehrle, and Contreras that don't constantly try to just blow people away with fastball after fastball.

Contreras was using his nastier offspeed stuff to SET UP his fastball, a concept that is seen less and less these days. Most pitchers on our staff (or any staff, for that matter) can't throw 98+ mph, and that's how fast you need to throw if you plan on constantly blowing people away with heat. Otherwise, you need to rely more on offspeed stuff to strike people out or induce double plays.

Contreras served up a few hits, but only walked one and only gave up one solo homer on a night when the ball was really flying. Keep the ball in the park, don't walk people, and throw offspeed stuff in crucial counts. Sounds like a great gameplan to me.

skobabe8
08-04-2004, 02:40 PM
How many times I gotta tell you people?!?!? August is our month!! :D:

jabrch
08-04-2004, 02:41 PM
I was most impressed that once we got him a lead, he threw strikes. Who cares if they put the ball in play. Who cares if they hit a HR - you have a 7 run lead. Throw strikes, get ahead of hitters. Make them hit you. Make them hit you enough to score runs. They tried - but couldn't.

SoxxoS
08-04-2004, 03:14 PM
One more win and it's called a (say it with me) "winning streak."

Wanne
08-04-2004, 04:04 PM

LOL...yeah...go figure. How nice would that be! One thing that I didn't like to read, and I'm sure I'm probably taking this the wrong way...but it's not the first time something like this has come out of Konerko's yapper:

Konerko was happy to pick up the Sox' sluggish offense.

"I think this game goes in cycles and we weren't going to be that bad forever,'' Konerko said. "At the same time, we can't think we're going to walk in here tomorrow and score 10 runs.''

It's not what he said at all...and I'm sure he meant nothing negative by it...by why even say something like that? That's instilling a negative thought process IMO. He did the same thing after after a Twins series.

Dadawg_77
08-04-2004, 04:11 PM
True, but the Sox need to get it done when they aren't facing the worst team in the AL.

Flight #24
08-04-2004, 04:15 PM
It's not what he said at all...and I'm sure he meant nothing negative by it...by why even say something like that? That's instilling a negative thought process IMO. He did the same thing after after a Twins series.
I actually took it apparently the opposite from you: Not that he was trying to inject some negativity, but that he was saying "we need to come out and scratch and claw for runs tomorrow and not think that we can take it easy and mash like we did today". More keeping the guys from letting up than trying to get them down.

Wanne
08-04-2004, 04:19 PM
I actually took it apparently the opposite from you: Not that he was trying to inject some negativity, but that he was saying "we need to come out and scratch and claw for runs tomorrow and not think that we can take it easy and mash like we did today". More keeping the guys from letting up than trying to get them down.

That's true...good point.

Kadafi311
08-04-2004, 04:24 PM
I want us to go on a mad St Louis like run from now to the end of the season. Winning or tying almost every series! That would be great!
That would be great.

And if all else fails, at the very least you've secured yourself a "Biggest Signature of the Year" nomination.

:D:

Hokiesox
08-04-2004, 04:24 PM
True, but the Sox need to get it done when they aren't facing the worst team in the AL.
Maybe so, but you need kindling to light the fire.

Flight #24
08-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Not until Friday they don't. No looking ahead!!!

Jurr
08-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Ha ha ha...this really looks smart now, doesn't it????????///

Win1ForMe
08-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Konerko was happy to pick up the Sox' sluggish offense.

"I think this game goes in cycles and we weren't going to be that bad forever,'' Konerko said. "At the same time, we can't think we're going to walk in here tomorrow and score 10 runs.''
...or even 1. :angry: