PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fans, Cub Fans

Dub25
08-03-2004, 11:30 PM
OK, what do guys think? In today's Mac, Jurko, Harry thread I made a post about Mac thinking this city is 75% Cub fans 25% Sox fans. I don't believe that, although I believe the Cubs probably do have the advantage. In the same thread a couple of guys agreed that is indeed accurate the Cubs having a 75%-25% advantage. I live in Homewood and our softball team is about 70% Sox fans. I work for a school district in the Tinley-Orland area and I see more Sox gear on the kids. I don't know, maybe it is the area I live and work in but do the rest of you believe the numbers are that high in favor of the Cubs?

SpartanSoxFan
08-03-2004, 11:34 PM
OK, what do guys think? In today's Mac, Jurko, Harry thread I made a post about Mac thinking this city is 75% Cub fans 25% Sox fans. I don't believe that, although I believe the Cubs probably do have the advantage. In the same thread a couple of guys agreed that is indeed accurate the Cubs having a 75%-25% advantage. I live in Homewood and our softball team is about 70% Sox fans. I work for a school district in the Tinley-Orland area and I see more Sox gear on the kids. I don't know, maybe it is the area I live and work in but do the rest of you believe the numbers are that high in favor of the Cubs?
It all depends on where you go in the Chicagoland area. I live in Naperville, which has too many Flubbie fans to keep track. However, I work the front door at a Best Buy in nearby Downers Grove, and I've noticed that lots of customers come in wearing Sox gear, more so than Flubbie gear. I would say the ratio is more like 60/40...definetely not 75/25...

Uncle_Patrick
08-03-2004, 11:34 PM
I believe that the number of real, die-hard, baseball-loving fans is much closer, with the Cubs probably having a slight advantage. But when you are talking about the casual fan, the fair weather fan, and the "if I have to choose one team" fan, I believe that the numbers are much more in the Cubs favor.

SoxFan76
08-03-2004, 11:35 PM
It's definitely not as high as the Tribune makes you think. Most fans are fans of both teams. But they have moved over to the Cubs because they are so cute and loveable. The true Sox fans outnumber the true Cub fans, no question. If the Cubs didn't play in Wrigley, they would be the biggest joke in baseball. You know, like they were when Old Comiskey still existed.

JB98
08-03-2004, 11:41 PM
It's definitely not as high as the Tribune makes you think. Most fans are fans of both teams. But they have moved over to the Cubs because they are so cute and loveable. The true Sox fans outnumber the true Cub fans, no question. If the Cubs didn't play in Wrigley, they would be the biggest joke in baseball. You know, like they were when Old Comiskey still existed.

I feel outnumbered out here in Aurora. I never felt that way when I was in high school (10 years ago). Of course, things have changed in this community since then. We've had more yuppies move out here and a lot of rich, housing developments spring up. Those places are havens for Cubs fans.

SOXPHILE
08-03-2004, 11:47 PM
I agree. I think in the whole Chicago area, it's probably 50/50, if you are actually only counting the real true baseball fans, who know the game, it's rules, history, etc., and really follow their team and can speak intelligently and knowledgably about them. (Maybe even slight advantage to Sox). But once you take into account drunk frat boys, yuppies talking on the cell phone getting a tan, tourists from Iowa or Europe, who "Just want to see Wrigley", girls in half shirts giggling, and only going "Wooooo !" when Shammy comes to the plate, then the number of people saying that they are "Cub Fans" probably goes 60/40 Cubs.

vegyrex
08-03-2004, 11:47 PM
It's definitely 75% 25% here on the northshore. I see loads of people wearing cub gear and have cub flags outside their homes. Every now and then I see someone with a Sox license plate or wearing Sox gear. One appliance store even had a sign saying they were "your" cubs headquarters. :rolleyes:

Viva Magglio
08-03-2004, 11:51 PM
I live and work in the Palos-Orland area, and I see far more Cub apparel-wearing drillrods than I would like. It's as if Cubbiness has infensted our area.

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-03-2004, 11:58 PM
The place I just moved to, the rockford area, has a ton of sCrUB "fans". I put the quotation marks around fans because they seem to be BANDWAGON fans here. All I see is packers and cubs CRAP. I miss living in Schaumburg, where I actually saw sox gear and sox fans some times.

Dub25
08-04-2004, 12:18 AM
The place I just moved to, the rockford area, has a ton of sCrUB "fans". I put the quotation marks around fans because they seem to be BANDWAGON fans here. All I see is packers and cubs CRAP. I miss living in Schaumburg, where I actually saw sox gear and sox fans some times.
Packers and Cub crap... move back immediately. I don't know what could be worse.

mjmcend
08-04-2004, 12:23 AM
I would say that it is 75/25 in the Chicagoland area and about 99/1 outside of it (like around the midwest) because of WGN being a cable channel and until recently them only showing Cub games plus the AAA team, the Iowa Cubs. The Cubs are a much more national team than the Sox. Every person not from around the area who finds out I am from Chicago assumes I bleed blue. They then hear from me very quickly and completly that fact is not true.

milrtyme28
08-04-2004, 02:11 AM
I am an outnumbered NW suburbs sox fan. ( it feels like its 90/10 around here ) the sad part is that this doesnt only extend to the suburbs. It seems like every park the cubs play in is full of cub fans. I flipped on the cubbie game tonight hoping to see a 9th inning collapse vs/ the rockies after a solid sox win and coors field was full of cubs fans. they were so loud it was drowning out the commentary. They were certainly drowning out whoever happened to be there rooting for the rockies.

I cant figure out why a team that has sucked for so long is so well loved. Granted, the Braves are nationally televised for every game but they are typically ALWAYS GOOD! The cubs have WGN so I guess they get a wide audience but until recently they have basically sucked year in year out. What is it about the whole "cubbie blue friendly confines we scalp our own tickets and cork our bats while endangering our fans while preserving a crumbling relic in the futile pursuit of breaking an ages old curse" thing that is so appealing? I dont get it.

I guess that right now it is just simply "cool" to be a cubs fan. It sort of reminds me of going to Dave Matthews Band concerts in the late 90's where only 2% of the people there knew any of the songs that werent played on the radio. It was a big ass frat party and it was cool to be there or say you had been there.

Is wrigley alpine valley music theatre south?

Nellie_Fox
08-04-2004, 03:42 AM
I live in Homewood and our softball team is about 70% Sox fans. For cryin' out loud, if it's only 70% in Homewood, it's bad. I can remember a day when being a Cubs fan that far south would get you hurt.

OEO Magglio
08-04-2004, 03:45 AM
It's bad where I live(north burbs). There are barely any sox fans where I am and a ton of cub fans but if your just counting real baseball fans, it's about even.:smile:

DMarte708
08-04-2004, 03:58 AM
I live and work in the Palos-Orland area, and I see far more Cub apparel-wearing drillrods than I would like. It's as if Cubbiness has infensted our area.I live in Palos Heights and completely agree with your assessment. Not that its obvious from citizens walking around town or flags perched atop doorsteps. During our anual "Palos Fest" near Centennial Park there's usually an abundance of yuppies sporting Flub gear. While they may be out of town, this year (during the Cubs/Sox game) the true allegiance of the crowd was known following Marte's walk off walk.

No fear; south siders have the right man to begin a White Sox revival. His name: DAVE WILLS. I overheard a recent comment from Willsy that he's recently moved out to Orland Park. Great to have the voice of the Chicago White Sox preaching the good word in our area. :cool:

:wills

"Cub fans: Last time I checked.......the south suburbs belong to the White Sox."

SOXSINCE'70
08-04-2004, 08:29 AM
I'm outnumbered by sCrUBS fans.I grew up in Des Plaines,sCrUBbie country.All the sCrUB fans drank their Old Style (Yeech!!) and prayed their "lovable losers" wouldn't blow it in '69,'84 and '89.Worse yet,my sister,who knew nothing about baseball married into a sCrUBS loving family.July 4th weekend was not fun.:(: :(: It's no different in Deerfield,where I live now.Too many sCrUBS fans.A local golf course even has GO CUBS posted on its sign out front.:angry: :angry:

joeynach
08-04-2004, 09:38 AM
I live in Flossmoor and Id say the whole H-F area is pretty mixed, probably 50-50. I know a lot of sox seaons ticket holders in the area and even one minoirty shareholder. The difference is a lot of none baseball fans root for the cubs, thats where they have the advantage. Every sox fan i know is a repectable rule knowing, baseball playing, and team following fan to some extent. I can't say the same for cub fans where many of them go "woo hoo go cubbies" becuase they are the big name, the one everyone talks about, and on WGN. Its not that bnig of a deal. The real cub fans i know acknowledge them and dont really care of them or count them as fans. We all know these are the people who like the cubs becuase of the Wrigley thing, basically thats all the say in defense of GO CUBBIES, is wrigley this and neighborhood that.

Viva Magglio
08-04-2004, 10:06 AM
I'll be going to Springfield in about a week for the opening weekend of the Illinois State Fair (http://www.agr.state.il.us/isf/). Down there, it seems that Central Illinois is a 50-50 split between Cub and Cardinal fans. What I would like to know is why Downstate has so many Cub fans as opposed to White Sox fans. Downstate is south of the South Side, you know. Was it because of WGN Cable, as another poster suggested, or were they always that way?

joeynach
08-04-2004, 10:20 AM
I'll be going to Springfield in about a week for the opening weekend of the Illinois State Fair (http://www.agr.state.il.us/isf/). Down there, it seems that Central Illinois is a 50-50 split between Cub and Cardinal fans. What I would like to know is why Downstate has so many Cub fans as opposed to White Sox fans. Downstate is south of the South Side, you know. Was it because of WGN Cable, as another poster suggested, or were they always that way?
I can honestly say I know en entire family who are cub fans simply becuase of WGN. They live like a few houses down and never had cable growing and still dont. There family was always the cheap penny pinching kind and they were like the strict get your homework done no tv kind who didn't want there kids wathcing cable tv. I mean my friend didn't necissarily like this becuase he would have to come to my house to watch ESPN and sports channel, especially with Bulls and other playoff games. But he told me straight up the only reason he is a cub fan is becuase all he got was WGN and watched the cubs in the afternoons after school. I guess you dont know any better as a kid, but still thats pretty lame.

Iwritecode
08-04-2004, 10:44 AM

Where are you at in Loves Park?

DoubleO
08-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Earlier this year I asked a "Die hard Cub Fan" a simple question:

I bet your excited to get Prior back?

Cubbie Fan Answer: Who's that?

What else is there to say. I can say we as Sox fans notice the cubbie blue everywhere, but maybe we should ask them if they can name all the starting players, better yet ask them what position Corky plays.

To me, fans that say they are something, but don't know anything are not really fans, so I bet that 75-25 is completely wrong! Most "Cub Fans" are not a true fan so how does that figure into the equation?

BigEdWalsh
08-04-2004, 11:23 AM
I haven't lived in the Chicago area since '79 so it's hard to judge. In the south-east WI area it's about 90-10 Cubbie fans. I'm doing my best to convert people.
Actual hardcore diehard fans anywhere and everywhere I'm sure the Cubbies would even have a advantage probably 60-40, but the casual fan tends to be a bandwagoner and naturally those are goin' to be Cubbie fans because Sammy, Wrigley and even the memory of Harry are SOOO KEWL. They are indeed the Loveable (gag) Losers.
:army

BigEdWalsh
08-04-2004, 11:37 AM
It's actually historically speaking more because of WGN radio than anything. But more recently yeah, WGN Cable. Nowdays, it's the whole cuteness thing. It has just became the "in" thing to do. It's so "cool" to "be a bleacher bum". It's so "cool" to sing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" just like as if Harry is still leading them in the singing. And Sammy, the great slugger, as Pat Hughes calls him, what more can one say. Just thinking of all these reasons why casual fans and faraway fans lean toward the Cubbies is making me sick. I have to stop listing reasons.......:chunks

jdm2662
08-04-2004, 11:42 AM
For the real die-hard fans, I think it has alot to do on where you grew up. The Sox fans that I'm friends with grew up in summit and Glenwood while the Cub fans grew up in Elmwood Park. I grew up in the Hillside-Berekley area, and it was pretty split growing up. However, at my high school (St. Joe's), it was way more White Sox fans. Kids there were mostly from Westchester, Cicero, and Berwyn. In fact, one kid from Cicero got ridiculed in saying how he could be from Cicero and a Cubs fan. I do have a friend from Palatine that's a big Sox fan. Don't know how that fit it... My guess, I'd say its about 60-40 Cubs, the real fans that is.
________
Public Train (http://www.****tube.com/categories/944/train/videos/1)

munchman33
08-04-2004, 01:08 PM
I live in the south suburbs (Riverdale, to be exact) and its definately 90-10 White Sox down here.

I work and go to school at UIC, and the student body there is probably 60-40 White Sox as well, though that may have to do with the park's relative closeness.

Dub25
08-04-2004, 01:15 PM
I live in the south suburbs (Riverdale, to be exact) and its definately 90-10 White Sox down here.

I work and go to school at UIC, and the student body there is probably 60-40 White Sox as well, though that may have to do with the park's relative closeness.
Spent my first 6 years in Riverdale. What a blast for a little kid during those times. 76- 82 to be exact. 90-10 now. It was probably almost a 100 then. Thank God I started there, otherwise I could have been a... :o: :o: :o: :o: :o: nevermind.

JB98
08-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Packers and Cub crap... move back immediately. I don't know what could be worse.
It would be worse if they liked the Packers, the Cubs AND the Detroit Red Wings. That's all three sides of the Triangle of Death if you ask me.:D:

southpaw40
08-04-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm not from the Chicago area, and have never lived there, so I didn't really know about the animosity between the fans there, until the internet came along. I've just been a loyal Sox fan because my dad is.
Whenever I know I'm speaking with someone from Chicago, I ask if they're White Sox or Cub. Most of the folks I speak to by phone (business purpose contacts) are Cubs. However, I had this experience a few weeks ago:
I was having the oil changed in my car at one of those quick-lube places, and I noticed the lady waiting with me was driving a car with Illinois tags. I asked if she was from Chicago, and she said she was. So I asked her "White Sox or Cubs"? She immediately replied "WHITE SOX" and that she and her boyfriend frequently went to games at the Cell. The games she enjoyed most were the White Sox/Cubs games because she loved to see the Cub fans abused.
I immediately thought she could be the girlfriend of some of the posters here! :D:

brlysgrl56
08-04-2004, 02:00 PM
And I have yet to see a Cub fan in my area. Last year, this one house had a huge Cub flag outside of their garage but I haven't seen it this season. There's a black pick-up truck that has a huge Sox logo on the back, my car has a Sox frame on my plate and all I see in the nearby park is the black and silver.

I'm never moving!

08-04-2004, 02:05 PM
And I'm sad to say I see way to many Cubs flags flying! I'm in the Blue Collar part of Beverly too....God Bless McNallys.....One thing I know for certain, and my friend the Cubs fans even agrees...if God Forbid the Cubs win the World Series.....60% of all Cubs fans will not have the same love for them and will slowly get wrapped up in the Sox (1917)....if the Sox win the World series...you will NEVER SEE THAT HAPPEN!!!

BigEdWalsh
08-04-2004, 02:12 PM
...if God Forbid the Cubs win the World Series.....60% of all Cubs fans will not have the same love for them and will slowly get wrapped up in the Sox (1917)....if the Sox win the World series...you will NEVER SEE THAT HAPPEN!!!
Wrong. If the Cubbies win the World Series you'll see even MORE Cubbie fans. They'll come outta the woodwork. Casual fans love a winner. It'll be absolutely sickening.
If the Sox would just go to the Worls Series we'd gain some more fans to be sure, but not all that many and that would be shortlived.

skobabe8
08-04-2004, 02:35 PM
I'll chime in with my NW Indiana report.....

Everyone included, its about 75-25 cubs. And the sole reason for this is because its "cool". I work in a restaurant, so its a popular topic with the customers, with people who sit at the bar, and even with co-workers. I've never heard someone say "I'm not really into baseball, but if I had to choose I'd say the White Sox." Never! And you know what? I'm really not even trying to convert anyone. The casual cub fans I know are such an embarresment (sp?) to the real fans that I dont want them on our side. The things that come out of their mouths about "why the cubs are so awesome and the sox sucks" are so idiotic. They know nothing about baseball. And these are the sort of fan that makes up the majority of cubbie blue nation!

On a side note, my girlfriends family is alllll cubs, and I love going to her family functions!! Putting a whole family in its place?? PRICELESS!

Speaking of "Priceless", does anyone else absolutely loathe those mastercard commercials. They have 1 for the cubs and 1 for the red sox. U think they ever even considered a white sox version?? They can shove it.

MASTERCARD SUX!!!
:)

kittle42
08-04-2004, 02:44 PM
I would say that it is 75/25 in the Chicagoland area and about 99/1 outside of it (like around the midwest) because of WGN being a cable channel and until recently them only showing Cub games plus the AAA team, the Iowa Cubs. The Cubs are a much more national team than the Sox. Every person not from around the area who finds out I am from Chicago assumes I bleed blue. They then hear from me very quickly and completly that fact is not true.
I would say this assessment is perfect.

AnkleSox
08-04-2004, 02:47 PM
I'm in Palos Heights and the majority of my friends and people I know are Sox fans, but throughout the southwest suburbs I have noticed way too many cubs fans. Hopefully they'll miss the playoffs this year and everyone will realize what bandwagoners they were.

quade36
08-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Here is my philosophy, as I've posted before. Lets just only talk Chicagoland area. If you compare the amount of cub fans and Sox fans born and raised in the Chicagoland area its about even. However, like some of you have mentioned before, people from bordering states grew up watching cubs games because of WGN. Well, they have moved to Chicago now that they are in their 20's and 30's. I've actually tried to see if my theory was true. And sure enough at one time I did a study of asking 100 cub fans (I live in Lakeview so this was pretty easy) if they were born and raised in the area, only 55 said yes. Most people who live in the 'yuppie' areas in the city aren't from Chicago or the suburbs. So based on my small sample study, one could assume about half of the cub fans in Chicago weren't born and raised in Chicago or its suburbs.

So I state again, for people born here, its pretty much even.

joeynach
08-04-2004, 03:19 PM
I'm not from the Chicago area, and have never lived there, so I didn't really know about the animosity between the fans there, until the internet came along. I've just been a loyal Sox fan because my dad is.
Whenever I know I'm speaking with someone from Chicago, I ask if they're White Sox or Cub. Most of the folks I speak to by phone (business purpose contacts) are Cubs. However, I had this experience a few weeks ago:
I was having the oil changed in my car at one of those quick-lube places, and I noticed the lady waiting with me was driving a car with Illinois tags. I asked if she was from Chicago, and she said she was. So I asked her "White Sox or Cubs"? She immediately replied "WHITE SOX" and that she and her boyfriend frequently went to games at the Cell. The games she enjoyed most were the White Sox/Cubs games because she loved to see the Cub fans abused.
I immediately thought she could be the girlfriend of some of the posters here! :D:
Or the girl of all of our dreams!!!!!!!!

StrTrkker
08-04-2004, 03:29 PM
I would say thats here in the SW Burbs (Joliet, Bolingbrook, Romeoville) its like 60/40 Cubs....

One thing I found amusing is that my brother works as a produce manager at a local grocer and I notice mostly Cubs flags and balloons spread out through out his store. Hes a big Sox fan so when I went by to see him the other day he told me that hes gonna get rid of all the Cub stuff and hanging up Sox stuff instead.

Good for him...

C-Dawg
08-04-2004, 09:31 PM
I notice mostly Cubs flags and balloons spread out through out his store.

I always find it extremely annoying when businesses decide for us that we should be Cub fans.

What was that place that advertised on the Score earlier in the season, that wound up their commercials with the two guys talking about the Cubs? It was something like: "Oh, hey, how about those Cubs!" "Yeah what a game!!". I guess that is one company that doesn't ever want my business.