PDA

View Full Version : Who wants Miles back

ssidebeatdown
08-03-2004, 10:52 PM
At the beginning of the year the Miles for Uribe trade looked like a steal. However, I now wish it never would have happened. Miles is hitting over .300 and though he doesnt take many walks I think he would have been great at the top. He has occasional speed (9 SB) and would have been around for awhile. I just wanted to see how many people here wish KW didn't make that trade now.

MarqSox
08-03-2004, 10:55 PM
At the beginning of the year the Miles for Uribe trade looked like a steal. However, I now wish it never would have happened. Miles is hitting over .300 and though he doesnt take many walks I think he would have been great at the top. He has occasional speed (9 SB) and would have been around for awhile. I just wanted to see how many people here wish KW didn't make that trade now.Not me. I'm happy with Uribe. Not to mention, Miles' numbers are exagerrated playing in Coors Field, and Uribe has much better defense.

ssidebeatdown
08-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Not me. I'm happy with Uribe. Not to mention, Miles' numbers are exagerrated playing in Coors Field, and Uribe has much better defense.
I dont know about his numbers being inflated too much. I mean he has only hit 5 HR's and he is mostly a singles hitter, I don't think Coors helps him there.

Tmar281
08-03-2004, 10:59 PM
At the beginning of the year the Miles for Uribe trade looked like a steal. However, I now wish it never would have happened. Miles is hitting over .300 and though he doesnt take many walks I think he would have been great at the top. He has occasional speed (9 SB) and would have been around for awhile. I just wanted to see how many people here wish KW didn't make that trade now.
:wired:

ChiWhiteSox1337
08-03-2004, 11:00 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Even though Uribe has about 5 hits in the past 2 months, he did more for us in April and May than aaron miles would've ever done for us in a SOX uniform.

misty60481
08-03-2004, 11:00 PM
They say Uribe hits good in the later part of year would be nice if he would start hitting like this spring we need regular 2nd baseman BAD

Cubbiesuck13
08-03-2004, 11:05 PM
It is wierd, at the sports bar tonight watching the sox game, a (VC Edit: Your what hurts? Don't use that phrase here again, if you want to continue posting.) came in and wanted to watch the flubs game. I saw Miles leadoff and get a hit with an opposite field single. A nice piece of hitting I might at and I thought about this quanundrum. I still like Uribe simply because he can play better D at short and take over Jose's spot better than Miles could taking over Harris' (or whomever's) spot at 2nd. It was good deal because Uribe ceiling is so much better than Miles'. Another good move by Williams in my book.

owensmouth
08-03-2004, 11:06 PM
I'm not a big Uribe backer, but even though Miles may have a slightly better average, Uribe is a much better and versatile defensive player. And the way the left side of our infield has been screwing up of late, Uribe may see some more activity.

MisterB
08-03-2004, 11:08 PM
I dont know about his numbers being inflated too much. I mean he has only hit 5 HR's and he is mostly a singles hitter, I don't think Coors helps him there.
Aaron Miles
Home: .337/.368/.453
Road: .285/.307/.373

Please keep in mind that Coors inflates averages as well as HR totals.

Cubbiesuck13
08-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Aaron Miles
Home: .337/.368/.453
Road: .285/.307/.373

Please keep in mind that Coors inflates averages as well as HR totals.

Coors has a HUGE outfield along with the thin air.

BigEdWalsh
08-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Not me. I'm happy with Manrique.:bandance:

hose
08-03-2004, 11:24 PM
I'll stick with Uribe, he can play 2nd, SS , and 3rd and has more pop in his bat.

elrod
08-03-2004, 11:43 PM
I think the deal was great, actually. But I do wonder what's wrong with Uribe lately. He just looks lost up there. Is there something mechanically wrong? Is he mentally out of sorts. It's not like he was getting a bunch of bloop hits like Willie was.

OEO Magglio
08-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Uribe was here to be a utility guy, he caught fire for the first couple months, so ozzie rode out his hot streak, now he's back to being the utility guy, uribe can play 3b,2b, and ss, Miles can only play 2b, uribe is younger, I'll take Juan.

voodoochile
08-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Uribe was here to be a utility guy, he caught fire for the first couple months, so ozzie rode out his hot streak, now he's back to being the utility guy, uribe can play 3b,2b, and ss, Miles can only play 2b, uribe is younger, I'll take Juan.
Basically the way I feel about it. At worst this trade has been a wash and I think Uribe will give the Sox more over the rest of his stay here than Miles would have.

I just love watching Uribe swing the bat. He NEVER gets cheated. "Swing hard in case you hit it."

StepsInSC
08-03-2004, 11:50 PM
ribNot me. I'm happy with Uribe. Not to mention, Miles' numbers are exagerrated playing in Coors Field, and Uribe has much better defense.I just want the real Juan Uribe to please stand up.

Month by month BA/OBP from April to July:

.393/.439
.303/.361
.222/.276
.123/.190

Slight downward trend there.

SSN721
08-04-2004, 08:42 AM
ribI just want the real Juan Uribe to please stand up.

Month by month BA/OBP from April to July:

.393/.439
.303/.361
.222/.276
.123/.190

Slight downward trend there.

Yikes, thats pretty bad, but what are his plate appearences from month to month, maybe consistent playing time has hurt him. Although I will agree with others who say he looks lost at the plate. But even with that I still will take him over Miles, I think Uribe has done a lot more for this time than Miles ever would have.

joeynach
08-04-2004, 09:31 AM
I think the deal was great, actually. But I do wonder what's wrong with Uribe lately. He just looks lost up there. Is there something mechanically wrong? Is he mentally out of sorts. It's not like he was getting a bunch of bloop hits like Willie was.
Uribe has always had this mechanical flaw in his swing where he moves his feet, especially the back one off the ball. He winds up loading up too much and then twisiting with his back foot in the box causing him to be way late or way off the ball. It didn't seem prelavent at all during April and May, plus he seemed to have the best eye ever working counts and getting pitches to hit. Something tells me being at the top in front of Frank and Maggs and basically being an unknown with a career .250 avg allowed to him to get a lot of pitches to hit. All i can say know is that I know Walker is working with him diligently to straighten out his swing on a more consistent basis.

jabrch
08-04-2004, 11:15 AM
Miles was terrible. I am happy with Uribe and with what he does for the club.

JoseCanseco6969
08-04-2004, 11:18 AM
No i dont wish KW didnt make the trade, you act like Uribe is a 35 yr old veteran. Miles was and still is going to amount to nothing in the big leagues.

Dadawg_77
08-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Uribe is a good backup player. I hope to God that he doesn't start as our SS next year, or it will be one long year.

Cubbiesuck13
08-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Uribe is a good backup player. I hope to God that he doesn't start as our SS next year, or it will be one long year.
tell me about it, the one thing we don't need is a good defensive SS who can bunt!

Dadawg_77
08-04-2004, 11:37 AM
tell me about it, the one thing we don't need is a good defensive SS who can bunt!
Especially when bunting is the only thing he can do at the plate.

Cubbiesuck13
08-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Especially when bunting is the only thing he can do at the plate.
how soon we forget! Do you remember his offensive burst in the first months? or him carrying the team for a few weeks? He was the MVP for this team in the first half. He can do more than bunt.

Dadawg_77
08-04-2004, 11:42 AM
how soon we forget! Do you remember his offensive burst in the first months? or him carrying the team for a few weeks? He was the MVP for this team in the first half. He can do more than bunt.
April and May was a fluke and he will have a very tough time repeating it. If you are basing what to expect from Uribe based on April and May, you are expecting way too much from him.

SoxxoS
08-04-2004, 11:49 AM
Let's remember what he did the first 4 weeks, but forget about what he did the next 8.

He is Tony Graffanino that plays better defense, but hits a little less.

Cubbiesuck13
08-04-2004, 12:04 PM
April and May was a fluke and he will have a very tough time repeating it. If you are basing what to expect from Uribe based on April and May, you are expecting way too much from him.
I don't think anyone expects him to hit like that for an extended period of time. I do think that he will turn out to hit on the better side of .250 if he is able to play full time. I also think his versitility makes his .250 a lot better than Jose's .250 average. Acually even without 'split stats' Uribe's doing a better than Jose is this year despite that 'slump' after his offensive burst.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/batting?team=chw

With the way the Oz wants to manage and play, guys like Jose are moving over for guys like Uribe, IMO. I like Jose's heart and if he could be our clutch bat off the bench then that would be great but Uribe is the better all around player right now and for the future.