PDA

View Full Version : Mets announcer Bob Murphy dead at 79

Fenway
08-03-2004, 03:58 PM
An unhappy recap http://redsoxnation.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/weep.gif

an odd tidbit Murphy worked for 3 teams, and the Mets won their only 2 titles against the other 2 - Boston and Baltimore

NEW YORK (CBS) Legendary Hall of Fame Mets announcer Bob Murphy has lost his battle with lung cancer.

He was 79 years old.

Murphy, who served as the Mets' announcer from 1962 until he retired last year, got his professional start in radio after World War II, when he called Muskogee Reds' games in Oklahoma.

After leaving his native Oklahoma, Murphy went east and joined Red Sox Radio. After his stint in Boston, he went to Baltimore for two years, before joining the Mets.

Murphy was the 1994 recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award.

Funeral arrangements were not immediately available.

hose
08-03-2004, 04:53 PM
Sounds like he had a heck of a career.

He got to see the Mets go from the worse team in baseball to the best in a span of 6 years. Amazing, amazing, amazing , amazing Mets, probably the single greatest season for a team in MLB history.

Viva Magglio
08-03-2004, 10:13 PM
I never heard Bob Murphy, unfortunately; I am sure most of us think of Ralph Kiner as the Mets announcer from the days we could see Mets games on WOR Cable.

Fenway
08-03-2004, 10:39 PM
I never heard Bob Murphy, unfortunately; I am sure most of us think of Ralph Kiner as the Mets announcer from the days we could see Mets games on WOR Cable.
Giving my age away

I grew up with Curt Gowdy and Bob Murphy doing Red Sox games...

Murph went to Baltimore and was replaced by Ned Martin

The Mets job opened and along with Lindsay Nelson became the voice(s) of the Mets

He was a great radio voice