PDA

View Full Version : Loaiza tampered with?

pearso66
08-03-2004, 04:38 PM
I dont know if this has been posted, if it has, I apologize, but I didnt want to read all through that Loaiza/contrares thing. Nor did I want this to get lost in the Garcia/ear effect thing that has not been taking place there. But if you read the first couple paragraphs in this article http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1850582

it appears that the Yankees definitally did "tamper" with Loaiza. The coaches, players were all telling him that they would love for him to come play with them, and so on and so forth. Shouldnt the Sox get something from this? I mean if its flat out right on ESPN.com, shouldnt somethign happen? An investigation at least?

Soxzilla
08-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Link doesn't work for me.

thepaulbowski
I dont know if this has been posted, if it has, I apologize, but I didnt want to read all through that Loaiza/contrares thing. Nor did I want this to get lost in the Garcia/ear effect thing that has not been taking place there. But if you read the first couple paragraphs in this article http://http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1850582

it appears that the Yankees definitally did "tamper" with Loaiza. The coaches, players were all telling him that they would love for him to come play with them, and so on and so forth. Shouldnt the Sox get something from this? I mean if its flat out right on ESPN.com, shouldnt somethign happen? An investigation at least?
I don't think tampering invloves what players say, if management were to say those things (owner, gm, etc.) then it would be a different story.

Tekijawa
it appears that the Yankees definitally did "tamper" with Loaiza. The coaches, players were all telling him that they would love for him to come play with them, and so on and so forth. Shouldnt the Sox get something from this?
We did get something... it pitches tonight, the rest of our compensation is sitting in Jerry's Wallet.

OzzieBall2004
08-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Yes, yes, yes....perhaps the Yankees said, put up average numbers all season long and pretend you arent the 20 game winner you were last year, and then we'll make the Sox trade you and pay you less money then you would have gotten with 20 game winner numbers....

pearso66
I don't think tampering invloves what players say, if management were to say those things (owner, gm, etc.) then it would be a different story.
I understand players not mattering, but if coaches are talkin to him sayin we'd love to have you, as it says their pitching coach did, I think that would be a little different.

Foulke29
I dont know if this has been posted, if it has, I apologize, but I didnt want to read all through that Loaiza/contrares thing. Nor did I want this to get lost in the Garcia/ear effect thing that has not been taking place there. But if you read the first couple paragraphs in this article http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1850582

I read the same article shortly after the trade, and I have to admit that I remember thinking - 'should Yankee players be allowed to solicit Loaiza's services?' I mean - really - what's the difference if Derek Jeter and Jason Giambi are telling you, 'The boss really wants you.' and the Boss saying it?

Regardless of legalities and rules, I remember thinking that it didn't sit well with me and that if it's true, it seems unethical.

rmusacch
08-03-2004, 04:48 PM

Yeah but it is the Yankees and we have a weak commissioner. George openly talked about how he would love to have Randy Johnson on his team and wanted him and Bud did nothing.

pearso66
08-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Yeah but it is the Yankees and we have a weak commissioner. George openly talked about how he would love to have Randy Johnson on his team and wanted him and Bud did nothing.
I thought good old Torre covered his butt in that one by exclaiming "yes but wouldnt everyone want a player of RJ's caliber?" I think going personally to the player would be worse than just stating it in the open, but thats me.

joeynach
08-03-2004, 04:50 PM

While i think this is sleazy as hell and pretty immoral on the part of the yankees KW is still the reason he is in NY. We are the ones that traded him away that was our decision, maybe a good one maybe a bad one. But i will be extremely mad if loiaza 93 94 mph fastball re-emerges in NY along with his stellar cutter. That will lead me to beleive he was saving his arm for next year with the yankees all along, knowing he could get the deal we wanted from them.

soxtalker
08-03-2004, 05:04 PM
While i think this is sleazy as hell and pretty immoral on the part of the yankees KW is still the reason he is in NY. We are the ones that traded him away that was our decision, maybe a good one maybe a bad one. But i will be extremely mad if loiaza 93 94 mph fastball re-emerges in NY along with his stellar cutter. That will lead me to beleive he was saving his arm for next year with the yankees all along, knowing he could get the deal we wanted from them.
How much sense would it make to "save the arm" in the contract year? Also, Loaiza didn't exactly sound thrilled about the trade. In fact, if I heard correctly, he was a bit broken up -- not quite the same as Miguel Olivo, but still not terribly happy. So, if his pitching revives, I'd chalk it up to different coaching and maybe a bit of luck.

The Wimperoo
08-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Um...if I recall correctly Esteban Loazia didn't just trade himself to the Yankees. KW had a big part in that I believe. I don't think it really matters what the Yankees said to Loazia during the All-Star break, if KW didn't want to trade Loazia he would still be on the Sox.