PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Lofton available.........

joeynach
08-03-2004, 10:03 AM
There is word on the internet and in NY media that Kenny Lofton is going to be released soon. I think he would be a great addition at the top of our lineup. We could give him an easy 1 mil to finish the year here. He would give is great flexibility in our lineup and outfield and that true leadoff hitter we desperatly could use. We would have him #1 in the lineup and either DH or play center. Have rowand DH or play right, or have Everett DH or play right.

CF Lofton
RF Rowand
LF Lee
DH Everett
1B Konerko
SS Valentin
3B Crede
2B Uribe
C Alomar/Burke

fledgedrallycap
08-03-2004, 10:06 AM
The problem is, Lofton is locked up for another year or two; and we've all seen this experiment before. Kenny Lofton is a great spurt player and an experienced playoff veteran, but he's not the answer to our problems.

Pass.

jshanahanjr
08-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Rowand is now a better defensive player than Lofton, so I can't see much use for him. If he was still good the Yanks wouldn't let him go.

FightingBillini
08-03-2004, 10:16 AM
I dont like Lofton at all, but I like this idea. We need a leadoff hitter desperately. If we cant get Kendall, Hairston, or Catalanotto, we should pick up Lofton. I believe that after a player is cut and clears waivers, he can be signed for the minimum, and the team doesnt have to pay the players original contract. We are far from out of this, and we need to do what we can to win this thing.

ewokpelts
08-03-2004, 10:23 AM
There is word on the internet and in NY media that Kenny Lofton is going to be released soon. I think he would be a great addition at the top of our lineup. We could give him an easy 1 mil to finish the year here. He would give is great flexibility in our lineup and outfield and that true leadoff hitter we desperatly could use. We would have him #1 in the lineup and either DH or play center. Have rowand DH or play right, or have Everett DH or play right.

CF Lofton
RF Rowand
LF Lee
DH Everett
1B Konerko
SS Valentin
3B Crede
2B Uribe
C Alomar/BurkeIF lofton is released, and IF we pick him up, the yankmees will pay his salary til next year. if he open, i might take him as a banch player.
Gene

Gimm
08-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Bench player? Huh?

The guy was brilliant in the playoff run with the Giants in '02 and Cubs in '03. He is still getting on base at a high clip AND, unlike Willie, can actually hit the ball out of in the infield once in a while.

Put Kenny in CF, move Rowand to RF. Yes, I know Aaron is better defensively, but Lofton doesn't have the arm for RF.

Lofton and Harris/Rowand as 1-2/2-1 against RHP would be very solid.
Rowand and Lee/Lofton would start at 1-2 spots against LHP.

As long as NY throws some cash our way, Lofton would be cheap not only this year but also the next - relatively speaking of course.

Mickster
08-03-2004, 10:52 AM
IF lofton is released, and IF we pick him up, the yankmees will pay his salary til next year. if he open, i might take him as a banch player.
Gene
Not true. If he is released and picked up by another team within 10 days (I believe), then the new team is responsible for paying his salary due him according to his contract. After that 10 day period, he is fair game for any team to pick him up and pay him what they would like, while he still received the entire current contract due to him by the Yankees. IIRC. This is why Olerud was not immediately picked up and is being had cheaply by the Yankees.

joeynach
08-03-2004, 10:53 AM
The problem is, Lofton is locked up for another year or two; and we've all seen this experiment before. Kenny Lofton is a great spurt player and an experienced playoff veteran, but he's not the answer to our problems.

Pass..

If he is released by the yanks there are essentially buying him out and cutting him. He is a FA at this point and can signed for the league minimum, once he clears waivers (which he would).

DVsoxfan
08-03-2004, 11:00 AM
No. I'm perfectly content with the job Rowand has been doing both leading off, and in cf. Besides, this guy was of no help to us when we last had him. Am I the only one that thinks it isn't a fluke that he sucked for us and then played great for the Cubs? Isn't it ironic that then we found out the Lofton grew up a Cub fan?

Foulke You
08-03-2004, 11:48 AM
I would love to have a bonifide Major League leadoff hitter at the top of our order again. Lofton still has a lot to offer as a player and a valuable guy to have in a drive for a division title. He is the type of pesky hitter that gives starting pitchers fits. He can bunt really well, still has good speed, has good strike zone knowledge (i.e. takes walks!), can hit the opposite way, and plays OF well (albeit not as quite as good as his Indians days).

You don't replace Rowand with Lofton. Obviously, Lofton will replace Perez/Borchard/Gload in the lineup. Lofton and Rowand would make a solid 1-2 table setter combo at the top of the order.

Also, Lofton on the Sox played great up until he tweaked his hamstring in late May of 2002. He played through the injury and went into a slump which led to us dealing him to the Giants. The hamstring healed late that season and Lofton has been productive ever since then. The Cubs would not have won their division let alone make the NLCS without Lofton constantly getting on base for them last year.

If you can get Lofton for cheap off the waiver wire, I'd do this deal in a second.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2004, 11:54 AM
You don't replace Rowand with Lofton. Obviously, Lofton will replace Perez/Borchard/Gload in the lineup. Lofton and Rowand would make a solid 1-2 table setter combo at the top of the order.
...If you can get Lofton for cheap off the waiver wire, I'd do this deal in a second.

Yeah...what Foulke said. :bandance:

jabrch
08-03-2004, 11:58 AM
after he clears waivers, I'd do it. I assume KW has no interest. If this is in the Yanks plans, it would have come up in the conversations around the Loaiza/Contreras deal. I guess you never know. On second thought, if the yanks planned on releasing him, why wouldnt they have traded him, along with cash, for something of value at the deadline? (a reliever?)

JB98
08-03-2004, 12:17 PM
after he clears waivers, I'd do it. I assume KW has no interest. If this is in the Yanks plans, it would have come up in the conversations around the Loaiza/Contreras deal. I guess you never know. On second thought, if the yanks planned on releasing him, why wouldnt they have traded him, along with cash, for something of value at the deadline? (a reliever?)
K-Lo is untradeable because he is under contract for next year. No one wants to be stuck with that salary and that attitude problem next season. However, if he becomes available for the league minimum and just the rest of this year, I'm sure the Sox and a few other teams would look into it.

npdempse
08-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Besides, this guy was of no help to us when we last had him. Am I the only one that thinks it isn't a fluke that he sucked for us and then played great for the Cubs? Isn't it ironic that then we found out the Lofton grew up a Cub fan?
No. He stank in the first half of the season for us like he always stinks in the first half. He did the same with the Cubs. He'd be a great addition in the stretch, where he gets hot year after year.

IlliniSoxFan
08-03-2004, 12:32 PM
No. He stank in the first half of the season for us like he always stinks in the first half. He did the same with the Cubs. He'd be a great addition in the stretch, where he gets hot year after year.

Lofton was putting up All-Star numbers for us for the first month and a half of that season. As Foulke said, he struggled with the injury and has been solid ever since he recovered. He is a good lead-off man, and potential "cancer" flags aside, I think it would be a great move. If we have Lofton and Rowand in the first couple of slots, then we're going to start seeing a lot more 2-4 run first innings.

Gimm
08-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Clubhouse cancer my ass........Sox have NOBODY TO LEAD OFF! Rowand is a #2 hitter against RHP and Willie is highly unreliable - hell, even Rowand could go into 1 for 30 slump at this point and it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

We can't spend 10 Mill a year on Kendall just because of his OBP - if you're the Sox and you're spending that kind of money, it better be Randy Johnson or Carlos Beltran.

Sox are rapidly falling out of contention before our very eyes; this is no time to pick and choose. Get Lofton. And Cruz, Jr if Everett doesn't come back soon. If Hillenbrand is available for cheap, get him too. Also: Robbie.

Sox have to take high-reward gambles at this point, or they will fizzle.

wdelaney72
08-03-2004, 02:52 PM
I would take him as long as we didn't have to assume his contract.

DickAllen72
08-03-2004, 03:11 PM
No. I'm perfectly content with the job Rowand has been doing both leading off, and in cf. Besides, this guy was of no help to us when we last had him. Am I the only one that thinks it isn't a fluke that he sucked for us and then played great for the Cubs? Isn't it ironic that then we found out the Lofton grew up a Cub fan?

I am more than content with the job Rowand is doing. But are you content with the job our right fielders are doing??? Are you content with our batting order??? With our baserunning?

IF (and that's a big "if") Lofton would play for us, Lofton would lead off and play center and Rowand would bat second and play RF. Not only would the top of the order be awesome, but our defense would be improved as well.

Gimm
08-03-2004, 07:20 PM
I would take him as long as we didn't have to assume his contract.
Hey, maybe the Yankees could pay us to take him!

Then the Devil Rays could send a few prospects along with Cruz, Jr to sweeten the deal.

It goes without saying the only way we'll even consider accepting Hillenbrand or Alomar is if we also get Arizona's 1st round pick in the 2005 draft.

OR....

We could realize that we're the ****ing White Sox and be grateful other teams deign to dump their salaries/underachievers on our desperate asses.

So to speak.:wink:

nitetrain8601
08-03-2004, 08:34 PM
I would do it after he clears waivers. He can't be that bad(Gload, borchard) in RF for us plus he's a legit leadoff hitter. This is the time he gets hot so there's very little risk.

ode to veeck
08-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Curious, what's Lofton's current contract for ... in '02 we had him for an even 1 mil if I remember correctly