PDA

View Full Version : 2004-2006 Sox Optimism

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2004, 10:14 AM
I am disappointed in the way they Sox played last week.

But look at it this way: Garcia is an ace. Amid a terrible offensive slump, he stopped the losing streak. That's what ace pitchers do. Yes, it was Detroit. But all you can do is play the teams on your schedule.

Buehrle has the stuff and the smarts to throw a no hitter or perfect game. He doesn't give up walks. He's another young ace.

Garland and Contreras also have ace "stuff." Yes, they both have head problems. But both are capable of dominating -- and indeed repeatedly have demonstrated the ability to win 1-0 and 2-1 games.

Of course they aren't Clemens, Ryan, Koufax or Seaver, who come around once per generation. But at the same time, they aren't the kind of starters the Sox had relied upon over the past few years: Parque, Sirotka, Ritchie, Schoeneweis, etc. Guys with average stuff who just "eat innings." Meh. All together, Garcia, Buehrle, Garland and Contreras remind me of the core of McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez and Bere.

Now, instead of three holes in the rotation, they only have one question mark. They have several candidates waiting in the minors. Or they can sign a free agent starter or make another deal for a #5.

Given the talent of their offensive core, even if Maggs leaves, if they are just average offensively, they will compete for the Central. With a few smart trades, signings or the emergence of young players like Borchard or Anderson (like Rowand this year), they will be frightening.

The Sox remind me of the early 90s Braves (or early 90s White Sox) at this stage because they are building a strong rotation. Nothing is guaranteed (injuries, etc.), but they at least are following the historically most successful model advocated by the smartest baseball minds and the most veteran Sox fans on WSI, who all agree PITCHING wins championships.

Hangar18
08-03-2004, 10:23 AM
In light of the facts up north that they acquired an Unprofessional-Whining-Primadonna-Liar, I have a funny feeling about Contreras ....... a good feeling.
I think something will Re-Click with him and hes gonna do ok over here ........

fledgedrallycap
08-03-2004, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure if I would compare them to the Braves quite yet, but I do share your optomism for the next few years with our core starters.

bennyw41
08-03-2004, 10:28 AM
In light of the facts up north that they acquired an Unprofessional-Whining-Primadonna-Liar, I have a funny feeling about Contreras ....... a good feeling.
You almost got through a whole post without mentioning the cubs.....almost.

Hangar18
08-03-2004, 11:18 AM
You almost got through a whole post without mentioning the cubs.....almost.
SOmething else to feel good about. My cousin was also lamenting the fact
that we seemingly traded bad pitchers instead of getting a HITTER (seeing the price Nomar went for) remember, The Chairman will be another year older
next year ......

bennyw41
08-03-2004, 11:31 AM
SOmething else to feel good about. My cousin was also lamenting the fact
that we seemingly traded bad pitchers instead of getting a HITTER (seeing the price Nomar went for) remember, The Chairman will be another year older
next year ......
I hope you're not wishing death on someone....

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2004, 11:33 AM

Hangar, that's the spirit! Here, have some silver and black Kool-Aid. :gulp:

bennyw41
08-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Hangar, that's the spirit! Here, have some silver and black Kool-Aid. :gulp:
He is just waiting for the Sox to fail, so he can say "told you so"

FightingBillini
08-03-2004, 11:35 AM
In light of the facts up north that they acquired an Unprofessional-Whining-Primadonna-Liar........
Dont forget steroid using and wife beating. Oh wait, you werent talking about Sosa. I guess they have two.

voodoochile
08-03-2004, 11:43 AM
I hope you're not wishing death on someone....
Could you maybe, perhaps, just possibly put Hangar on ignore and then find a way to follow through? Your following him around whining about his posts has gotten tiresome.

Let it go man...

poorme
08-03-2004, 12:11 PM
What's the lineup going to look like in 2006?

Blueprint1
08-03-2004, 12:26 PM
NOT GOOD

Flight #24
08-03-2004, 12:28 PM
A good question. There are likely to be wholesale changes in 06 with Koney's contract up, Lee in his last year, and Frank in the last year of his player options. There are going to be a lot of ways in which KW can restructure the team at that point by not resigning or trading guys. Factor in the arrival of Anderson around then & maybe Sweeney and we'll have some options to restructure the O a lot more cheaply, and our pitching will still be locked up for another year (into 07).

Lip Man 1
08-03-2004, 12:30 PM
This 'core' group (particularly the hitters) is getting older, is coming up for free agency and is probably going to be busted apart based on four years of underachieving, and Ozzie's desire to have a more complete team.

Can't we at least finish out this season before talking about the 'future?'

Who knows what may happen in the next few years, the Sox might get new ownership and you have the CBA expiring soon. Remember the players felt they gave a lot to offset public opinion in 2002, I don't think they are going to be in a giving mood again.

And besdies the 'cynic' will say that it'll just be a few more seasons without getting to the World Series anyway...

Lip

bennyw41
08-03-2004, 12:30 PM
Could you maybe, perhaps, just possibly put Hangar on ignore and then find a way to follow through? Your following him around whining about his posts has gotten tiresome.

Let it go man...
No Hangar to me is like the Cubs to Hangar. I hate his posts so much, yet it consumes my very existance.

voodoochile
08-03-2004, 12:31 PM
No Hangar to me is like the Cubs to Hangar. I hate his posts so much, yet it consumes my very existance.
Not here it won't at least not for very much longer if you keep it up...

bennyw41
08-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Not here it won't at least not for very much longer if you keep it up...
Thats fine. Are you seriously threatening to ban me for having a different opinoin than Hangar? That's what I paid for when I donated money to this site? A protected class of people like Hangar? Thats just great.

voodoochile
08-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Thats fine. Are you seriously threatening to ban me for having a different opinoin than Hangar? That's what I paid for when I donated money to this site? A protected class of people like Hangar? Thats just great.
You are free to disagree, but the constant harping, name calling and badgering are not allowed. It's not your opinion, it's your tone.

If you think donating money is a way to get around the basic rules of civility we try to run the site by, you are mistaken.

I'm through discussing this. Find a different outlet for your negative energy, period.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2004, 12:44 PM

No one can predict with "Trader Kenny" at the helm, but I'll wildly guess (based on self-imposed payroll limits, Kenny's "favorites" and emphasis on "Grinders" and my own personal speculative hunches):

2B Harris (.280, 0 HR, 20 RBI, 30 SB)
LF Rowand (.285, 20 HR, 65 RBI, 10 SB)
DH Frank (.270, 45 HR, 100 RBI)
1B Lee (.295, 35 HR, 115 RBI)
RF Borchard (.265, 30 HR, 90 RBI)
3B Crede (.260, 30 HR, 80 RBI)
CF Anderson (.280, 10 HR, 65 RBI, 20 SB)
C Burke/Davis (.250, 10 HR, 45 RBI)
SS Uribe (.265, 10 HR, 50 RBI, 15 SB)

NOTE: This is not necessarily the lineup I WANT to see, but rather what I GUESS it COULD be, given that a large part of the payroll will go to pitching. I see either Konerko or Lee being gone (more likely Konerko since his deal is up after 2005.) I see Borchard being relied upon to hit fifth. I see Valentin gone. I see Anderson here. I still see OBP, leadoff hitter and catcher as a problem, but Lee almost replacing Maggs' totals. I see a lot of 4-3, 3-2, 2-1 and 1-0 wins and losses, with the Sox beating up on the AL Central teams whose payrolls are significantly smaller.

Flight #24
08-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Adding in my guesstimate ballpark salaries:
2B Harris (.280, 0 HR, 20 RBI, 30 SB)----->$1mil
LF Rowand (.285, 20 HR, 65 RBI, 10 SB)-->$1mil
DH Frank (.270, 45 HR, 100 RBI)--------->$8mil
1B Lee (.295, 35 HR, 115 RBI)----------->$8mil
RF Borchard (.265, 30 HR, 90 RBI)------->$500k
3B Crede (.260, 30 HR, 80 RBI)---------->$3mil
CF Anderson (.280, 10 HR, 65 RBI, 20 SB)>$300k
C Burke/Davis (.250, 10 HR, 45 RBI)------>$1mil (average)
SS Uribe (.265, 10 HR, 50 RBI, 15 SB)---->3mil

That's a total of about $26mil. Unless we're talking about cutting payroll by 2006, that's one expensive pitching staff, especially since we have our top 4 locked in for that year at reasonable salaries.

I'd guess that we'll see a better (or at least more expensive) C and MIF.

Win1ForMe
08-03-2004, 01:25 PM
I know this is an optimism thread, but you guys are insane. That's a 60 win team, if that.

No way Crede and Borchard have 60 HRs between them, much less a .260 batting avg.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2004, 01:29 PM
I know this is an optimism thread, but you guys are insane. That's a 60 win team, if that.

No way Crede and Borchard have 60 HRs between them, much less a .260 batting avg.

With Buehrle, Garcia, Garland and Contreras? For crying out loud, if each one of them only goes 15-15, that's 60 wins right there!

OurBitchinMinny
08-03-2004, 01:30 PM
The sox may be set up in ok shape, but I think this year may have been their best shot before the injuries. Dont forget that team on Lake Erie that is building once again. And the twins minor leagues are always producing stuff for them unlike the sox. The division is just going to get stronger. Hopefully the sox keep getting stronger

Win1ForMe
08-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Crede and Uribe would both have to hit somewhere in the vicinity of .320 next season for them to even sniff $3 M in arbitration. Frank will earn $10 M in '06, Carlos $8.5M, but that lineup would cost somewhere around $22 M.

OurBitchinMinny
With Buehrle, Garcia, Garland and Contreras? For crying out loud, if each one of them only goes 15-15, that's 60 wins right there!
It would also be 60 losses. If that is the lineup they go into next season with, lets hope we can hold of KC for 4th place. Thats a bad team. Why get rid of PK? What from borchard makes you think he is going to even hit above .200. They still should resign maggs, maybe look for a CF with speed depending on if rowand keeps it up. And Bullpen help, lots of bullpen help. They are down to one reliable guy there

Frater Perdurabo

That's a total of about $26mil. Unless we're talking about cutting payroll by 2006, that's one expensive pitching staff, especially since we have our top 4 locked in for that year at reasonable salaries.

I'd guess that we'll see a better (or at least more expensive) C and MIF.

Then they could go get another strong starting pitcher (one who is capable of being a #2 at $7-8 mil), or a middle infielder who can lead off and bat .310 (allowing a Uribe/Harris platoon at #9), or they could get Jason Kendall after all.

habibharu
What's the lineup going to look like in 2006? wishful thinking lineup:
Harris
Rowand
renteria
Lee
Glaus
konerko
Borchard
Anderson
Davis

Rotation: buehrle, garcia, pavano, contreras, diaz/cotts/adikins/honel

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2004, 01:35 PM
It would also be 60 losses. If that is the lineup they go into next season with, lets hope we can hold of KC for 4th place. Thats a bad team. Why get rid of PK? What from borchard makes you think he is going to even hit above .200. They still should resign maggs, maybe look for a CF with speed depending on if rowand keeps it up. And Bullpen help, lots of bullpen help. They are down to one reliable guy there

If you carefully read what I posted, you would see that this was not what I wanted, but rather what we might expect, barring trades/injuries/etc., in 2006. And there still would be payroll flexibility for better player(s) at 2B/SS, C or another strong starting pitcher.

And I'm not saying that they SHOULD trade Konerko, or allow him to leave as a free agent after 2005. I'm just predicting that management will trade him while his value is high, or they will allow him to leave in order to get Borchard (a KW favorite) and Anderson in the lineup, by moving Lee to first base. Conceivably Lee could be the one to go instead of Konerko.

Win1ForMe
08-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Garcia was 4-7 with the Mariners this season despite a 3.20 ERA. You still need to score runs for these guys to get these wins.

Flight #24
08-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Then they could go get another strong starting pitcher (one who is capable of being a #2 at $7-8 mil), or a middle infielder who can lead off and bat .310 (allowing a Uribe/Harris platoon at #9), or they could get Jason Kendall after all.One possibility is a 3-way offseason deal whereby the Yanks (or someone with a need @ 1B) get Paulie, Sox get Kendall+cash & PIT gets prospects. I like the idea of moving Lee to 1B. It also opens up a spot for a relatively cheap OF like Catallanoto who can lead off or hit #2 with high OBP.

Imagine a lineup of:

C - Kendall
LF - Cat
DH - Frank
1B - Lee
RF - Everett
CF - Rowand
3B - Crede
SS - Valentin
2B - Uribe/Harris

Bottom of the order's a bit weak, but serviceable. Frank, Carlos, Carl would have men on base a TON and drive in a lot of runs.

Edit: Or go get a Pokey Reese or Todd Walker to play MI. Neither should be that expensive. Or in the Koney deal, get back someone who can get on base and play a solid 2B or SS (Hairston?).

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2004, 01:57 PM
One possibility is a 3-way offseason deal whereby the Yanks (or someone with a need @ 1B) get Paulie, Sox get Kendall+cash & PIT gets prospects. I like the idea of moving Lee to 1B. It also opens up a spot for a relatively cheap OF like Catallanoto who can lead off or hit #2 with high OBP.

I like the idea of Kendall and Cat at the top. Two high-OBP guys, one lefty, one righty. Kendall solves two holes in the lineup (leadoff/#2 and catcher), while Cat adds even more OBP. I'd like to see them get both AND get Hairston. Then the lineup would have a ton of OBP (Cat, Kendall, Hairston, Rowand, Frank to go with the power provided by Frank, Lee, Everett, Crede and Valentin (if he can be re-signed).

OurBitchinMinny
08-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Why is everybody discounting maggs resigning? He should be cheaper and provided his knee isnt a career ending injury Id rather have in RF over everett and God help us all borchard. I would like to see them go after renteria. Next year has to be credes last chance. And while i dont want to see PK traded if you can get a lot for him, do it. We also could use an upgrade at 2b, you know some real major leaguers

Flight #24
08-03-2004, 02:02 PM
I like the idea of Kendall and Cat at the top. Two high-OBP guys, one lefty, one righty. Kendall solves two holes in the lineup (leadoff/#2 and catcher), while Cat adds even more OBP. I'd like to see them get both AND get Hairston. Then the lineup would have a ton of OBP (Cat, Kendall, Hairston, Rowand, Frank to go with the power provided by Frank, Lee, Everett, Crede and Valentin (if he can be re-signed).
Let's see, in this mythical, deeppink world of ours....

Lose Konerko (-8mil), add Kendall at say 7mil, Cat at say 3mil. Hairston I believe is cheap, but no clue as to his salary. Let's say 2mil. So you add 4mil in payroll, meaning Valentin's probably gone and you put Uribe @ SS.

Hairston-Kendall-Frank-Lee-Carl-Crede-Rowand-Cat-Uribe is VERY nice. That lineup with the rotation of Garcia-Buehrle-Contreras-Garland-Diaz wins the division, even with Cleveland's young talent.

Frater - Make it so!

jabrch
08-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Why is everybody discounting maggs resigning? He should be cheaper and provided his knee isnt a career ending injury Id rather have in RF over everett and God help us all borchard.
Cuz Magglio doesn't want to be here. Let's be honest, he turned down a lot of money because he doesn't want to be here. He will get the money elsewhere. I'd rather have Everett + 10mm than Magglio. I'd rather have Borchard/Timo/Gload and 13.5mm to spend on a SS than Magglio. I am tired of Magglio saying he wanted to stay, but not doing anything about it. Now that he is hurt, I am even less willing to take a risk on him. Marrrow Edema is serious. This could be a recurring injury. Sorry Magglio - I'm not interested in a long term, big $ deal with a guy who is hurt.

wdelaney72
08-03-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm optimisti about next year's pitching, but the offense looks scary. (see 2003 LA Dodgers).

The lineup needs to be overhauled.

Jerko
08-03-2004, 02:12 PM
I know it takes a little extra effort, and I'm as lazy as the next guy, but it's CATALANOTTO. I don't even care if you spell it wrong (a la Valentine). Catolonotto, Catelanatto, Catelinatto, whatever. Anything, ANYTHING, is better than...............Cat. Sorry, I just can't get excited about a lineup with a man named "Cat" in it.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2004, 02:15 PM
Sorry, I just can't get excited about a lineup with a man named "Cat" in it.

Not even if he makes the offense downright "frisky?" :wink:

OEO Magglio
08-03-2004, 04:11 PM
If the sox don't make the playoffs this year, your going to see big time changes to the offense. Jose and Maggs are already gone, imo. I believe you will see either carlos or konerko get traded. I'm not sure if Hairston is a free agent but if so he'd be a nice acquisition, I'd love to get catalanotto but I'm not sure there would be any room for him to play unless carlos is traded. Guzman is a free agent while I wouldn't want him to leadoff he'd just be a nice player to have because of his glove and his speed if you could sign him cheap. At this point I think you won't see any pitchers added via the free agent market, I think we'll have a rotation of Freddy, Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Diaz/Cotts, if Contreras does what I think he's going to do that rotation is dominate. Marte, Shingo, Adkins will all be back in the pen for sure, so you add a couple of cheap middle relievers. Whatever happens I think next year is really looking up because I think we'll have a lineup with speed and more consistancy added to a pitching staff I think we'll be awesome. Anyways lets just win the division this year.:bandance:

soxtalker
08-03-2004, 04:52 PM
No one can predict with "Trader Kenny" at the helm, but I'll wildly guess (based on self-imposed payroll limits, Kenny's "favorites" and emphasis on "Grinders" and my own personal speculative hunches):

NOTE: This is not necessarily the lineup I WANT to see, but rather what I GUESS it COULD be, given that a large part of the payroll will go to pitching. I see either Konerko or Lee being gone (more likely Konerko since his deal is up after 2005.) I see Borchard being relied upon to hit fifth. I see Valentin gone. I see Anderson here. I still see OBP, leadoff hitter and catcher as a problem, but Lee almost replacing Maggs' totals. I see a lot of 4-3, 3-2, 2-1 and 1-0 wins and losses, with the Sox beating up on the AL Central teams whose payrolls are significantly smaller.
While there are a number of WSI members who continue to hold out hope for a deal that would bring Kendall here, the Burke/Davis combination currently looks like it may work out. (Of course, their current batting success is based on too few games to really assess that yet.) But Uribe and Harris haven't exactly lived up to expectations, and I'm wondering if a deal involving Konerko or Lee might be used to fill one of those positions.

Mohoney
08-03-2004, 05:09 PM

I'm just biding my time until we FINALLY call the Jon Garland experiment a failure.

OEO Magglio
08-03-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm just biding my time until we FINALLY call the Jon Garland experiment a failure.Maybe it'll be a failure that he'll ever become that ace or that #2 everyone expected him to be but he's still a solid pitcher.

Mohoney
08-03-2004, 08:04 PM
Maybe it'll be a failure that he'll ever become that ace or that #2 everyone expected him to be but he's still a solid pitcher.

That's what I'm saying. He will be a bad #3 or average #4 for the rest of his career, and he is already making over $2 million this year. Wait until this guy starts demanding more money, and we foolishly give it to him.

If this guy ever gets something along the lines of $5 million plus, I sure hope it's with someone else. I would just as soon trade Garland this offseason while he still has value and plug Diaz in there with Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, and a free agent signing in the #4 spot in '05. Then we wait for someone to step up from the ranks of McCarthy, Honel, or Munoz in '06 or '07.

batmanZoSo
08-03-2004, 08:11 PM
That's what I'm saying. He will be a bad #3 or average #4 for the rest of his ...career, and he is already making over $2 million this year. Wait until this guy starts demanding more money, and we foolishly give it to him.

If this guy ever gets something along the lines of $5 million plus, I sure hope it's with someone else. I would just as soon trade Garland this offseason while he still has value and plug Diaz in there with Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, and a free agent signing in the #4 spot in '05. Then we wait for someone to step up from the ranks of McCarthy, Honel, or Munoz in '06 or '07.
Garland is a guy you gotta stick with because in all reality he's not bad for a fourth starter, he's gonna get you .500 and he could get better still. Even at 2 or 3 million, hey pitching ain't cheap. You saw what our farm club produces in the area of immediate results. Garland looks pretty damn good compared to Felix Diaz and company. I don't particularly like Garland, I just want them to stick with him because we've put in so much time already.

ChiSoxBobette
08-04-2004, 02:42 PM
I think something will Re-Click with him and hes gonna do ok over here ........Its nice to hear someone say exactly what nomind is. Next year he'll be doing the same to the scrubs. Boy that clubhouse should really be something with nomar & sosa two of the biggest boneheads in baseball.

Whitesox029
08-04-2004, 09:48 PM
2004-2006 Sox Optimism This is an oxymoron

gobears1987
08-04-2004, 09:52 PM
I agree I mean look at Ben Davis. He is over a 300 average on the Sox and has really clicked here