PDA

View Full Version : sign magglio now?

idseer
08-02-2004, 10:59 PM
i don't read EVERY thread so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

on another board someone mentioned the idea of signing magglio right now for 8 or 9 mil for one year. i don't agree with this idea at all. the reason other teams should be hesitant to sign him is the same reason WE should be hesitant to sign him.

does this make too much sense? i say try to sign him, AFTER it appears he can play again at all, to a $1 or $2 mil (maybe higher but not too much) contract heavily laden with incentives that would bring his earnings to around $10 - $12 mil if he can produce a full season like he usually does. everyone is safe that way and we could have him for another year.

i'd sure hate to pay this guy even 5 million if after the first 3 weeks he goes down and needs a season ending operation.

is that just wishful thinking on my part?

voodoochile
08-02-2004, 11:02 PM
I think it costs them nothing to wait and see how he responds to treatment. I would bet Maggs is thinking the same way, because he'd rather risk having to take a 1 year 6M deal later than miss on a 5 year $75M deal from someone else.

At least Frank will take his option... Which probably means he finishes his career with the Sox in about 5 years. Figure he takes next year for $10M and then the Sox give him the buy out and another 3 year 18M contract to wrap things up. Maybe more maybe a little less depending on production, but I suspect it will be in that area.

MRKARNO
08-02-2004, 11:04 PM
I fully expect to see Carl Everett as the starting right fielder next year

idseer
08-02-2004, 11:09 PM
I think it costs them nothing to wait and see how he responds to treatment. I would bet Maggs is thinking the same way, because he'd rather risk having to take a 1 year 6M deal later than miss on a 5 year $75M deal from someone else.

At least Frank will take his option... Which probably means he finishes his career with the Sox in about 5 years. Figure he takes next year for $10M and then the Sox give him the buy out and another 3 year 18M contract to wrap things up. Maybe more maybe a little less depending on production, but I suspect it will be in that area.
i sure don't think he'll play again this season at all. why should he risk coming back too soon? i think he'll be a big question mark next year.
do you think someone would take the chance of 5 years $75 mil considering the strange nature of his injury? would you?

mymanmaggs30
08-02-2004, 11:10 PM
I AGREE!!!! We definetly need to sign him now!!! :thumbsup:

OEO Magglio
08-02-2004, 11:11 PM
I AGREE!!!! We definetly need to sign him now!!! :thumbsup:Welcome aboard but I think Maggs is gone and I agree with Karno, Jurrasic will be our starting rf imo.

batmanZoSo
08-02-2004, 11:13 PM
I fully expect to see Carl Everett as the starting right fielder next year
He better be. We gave up five prospects for him.

mymanmaggs30
08-02-2004, 11:18 PM
Welcome aboard but I think Maggs is gone and I agree with Karno Jurrasic will be our starting rf imo.
thanks for the welcome!!!!!!! i hope ur wrong about maggs!!!:(: :whiner:

Daver
08-02-2004, 11:32 PM
If Carl Everett is the starting RF'er next season this team is in trouble from the start.

owensmouth
08-03-2004, 01:07 AM
If he possibly can, Magglio will be back this year, just to show all the potential bidders that he can still play. The medical people may not allow him to play. If he doesn't get back on the field this year, he's gonna take an even bigger financial bath.

pearso66
08-03-2004, 02:41 AM
He better be. We gave up five prospects for him.
Gave up 5 prospects sure. But I look at it as, the last 2 saved us 6 mil per year. I don't see anything wrong with that

jabrch
08-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Gave up 5 prospects sure. But I look at it as, the last 2 saved us 6 mil per year. I don't see anything wrong with that
even that is a reach. 5 prospects my ass. Are you convinced any of those guys would help this team this year or next year? I am not. I was unimpressed with Francisco, Rauch looks like he won't ever be what he was built up to be. Majewski is a dime a dozen. Anyone miss Anthony Webster now? What about Josh Rupe? Tell me about the great prospects we have given up for Carl Everett, please? Seems to me like the best was Rauch, and the second best was Frank Francisco (who really isn't impressive when you see him throw).

Why should we believe this was a bad deal?

joeynach
08-03-2004, 09:59 AM
i don't read EVERY thread so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

on another board someone mentioned the idea of signing magglio right now for 8 or 9 mil for one year. i don't agree with this idea at all. the reason other teams should be hesitant to sign him is the same reason WE should be hesitant to sign him.

does this make too much sense? i say try to sign him, AFTER it appears he can play again at all, to a $1 or $2 mil (maybe higher but not too much) contract heavily laden with incentives that would bring his earnings to around $10 - $12 mil if he can produce a full season like he usually does. everyone is safe that way and we could have him for another year.

i'd sure hate to pay this guy even 5 million if after the first 3 weeks he goes down and needs a season ending operation.

is that just wishful thinking on my part?
At this point whoever signs Maggs is going to have to get some insurance or opt out in his contract. Its going to be tricky, its a very serious and potentially career threatening injury. My guess is he will no longer get anywhere near 13-15 mil per year from anyone with a bone marrow disease that sidelined him twice this year. He will get a nice 10-12 mil deal probably for 4 or 5 years but the sox don't seem to be comitted to him. For him to sign with the sox now we would still need insurance against the injury in a new contract and i think there is just to much water under the bridge to go down that road and work something out now. Boston will sign him with the $$ they freed up from Nomar. But with Everett at right for 4.5 mil we save 9.5 mil from Maggs add that too 5 mil from Koch and 5 mil from Jose. Now we have 20 mil to get a new catcher, SS, and 2B. And its not like we have to worry about Borchard playing in RF next year now that we got everett. And he could be a good 300 hitter with 20 homers and 90-100 rbi for us too, not that bad.

Mickster
08-03-2004, 10:16 AM
If Carl Everett is the starting RF'er next season this team is in trouble from the start.
Then we're in trouble from the start. All indications that I received are that Maggs is long gone.

BoKnowsSox
08-03-2004, 02:26 PM
The events of the past week show that the Sox lineup in woefully inconsitent. The one hitter on the Sox that has always come to play every day is Maggs, regardless of the chronic slumps of Konerko, Valentin and Crede. Maggs will give you a .300 average and 35 homers spread across the year. A healthy Ordonez can be counted on to consistently produce, something even Frank doesn't do. It doesn't make any sense to leave the Sox with perennial AAAer Joe Borchard or the aging Everett in right field. The Sox can sign probably sign Magglio for less than their original offers. They should do it.

joeynach
08-03-2004, 03:05 PM
The events of the past week show that the Sox lineup in woefully inconsitent. The one hitter on the Sox that has always come to play every day is Maggs, regardless of the chronic slumps of Konerko, Valentin and Crede. Maggs will give you a .300 average and 35 homers spread across the year. A healthy Ordonez can be counted on to consistently produce, something even Frank doesn't do. It doesn't make any sense to leave the Sox with perennial AAAer Joe Borchard or the aging Everett in right field. The Sox can sign probably sign Magglio for less than their original offers. They should do it.
In 2003 Carl Everett hit .301 with 10 homers and 42 rbi. If he puts up those numbers for the sox in 05 as an everday player thats a RF who hits .300 drives in 85 runs and hits 20 homers. At a cost of 4.5 mil vs. Maggs at 14 mil who only gives you a little more in terms of power you save 9.5 mil to sign a new cathers/SS/2b. Ill take that anyday.