PDA

View Full Version : Move back the fences

batmanZoSo
08-02-2004, 07:51 PM
This park has become a bandbox. I mean Comiskey leading MLB in home runs? Including Denver? The gaps are not 375 like they say I can assure you that. In 01, for the first wave of renovations they said left center would be 372 with the bullpen modifications, but they never changed the sign.

You can tell both sides have been moved in because of the angled cutout in dead center. Originally it was smooth, no quirks, but the fences have to jut out to reach 400 in center. I was at an Angel game where Jose Guillen hit a homer just to my right that landed on the front of the top padding in left center. That ball had double written all over it. In probably 25 other parks it would've been. We've got home run pitchers on this team, it would help us a lot if we'd push the fences back flush against the stands in the gaps. You risk fan interference ala Jeffrey Mayer maybe once a year but it's often the difference between 3 runs and no runs. I hate that our park has become the premier launching pad in the game. Does this bother anyone else? Too many cheapies are flyin out.

SoxFan76
08-02-2004, 07:54 PM
The fences are fine with me. The Sox just need to build a team for the park More ground ball pitchers. That is what Garland is, but when he's off his game, he throws fly balls. That is why the Sox have so many home run hitters. They play for the home field advantage.

RedPinStripes
08-02-2004, 07:55 PM
This park has become a bandbox. I mean Comiskey leading MLB in home runs? Including Denver? The gaps are not 375 like they say I can assure you that. In 01, for the first wave of renovations they said left center would be 372 with the bullpen modifications, but they never changed the sign.

You can tell both sides have been moved in because of the angled cutout in dead center. Originally it was smooth, no quirks, but the fences have to jut out to reach 400 in center. I was at an Angel game where Jose Guillen hit a homer just to my right that landed on the front of the top padding in left center. That ball had double written all over it. In probably 25 other parks it would've been. We've got home run pitchers on this team, it would help us a lot if we'd push the fences back flush against the stands in the gaps. You risk fan interference ala Jeffrey Mayer maybe once a year but it's often the difference between 3 runs and no runs. I hate that our park has become the premier launching pad in the game. Does this bother anyone else? Too many cheapies are flyin out.Wont ever happen. USCF is very short behind Home plate for one, and Jerry added the bullpen and people pay money to sit field lievel in LF. This is a new age where they bow to the casual fan who wants to see HR'S weather it's a real HR or not. I remember when there werent many parks that had cheap HR opportunities.

OEO Magglio
08-02-2004, 07:58 PM

You can tell both sides have been moved in because of the angled cutout in dead center. Originally it was smooth, no quirks, but the fences have to jut out to reach 400 in center. I was at an Angel game where Jose Guillen hit a homer just to my right that landed on the front of the top padding in left center. That ball had double written all over it. In probably 25 other parks it would've been. We've got home run pitchers on this team, it would help us a lot if we'd push the fences back flush against the stands in the gaps. You risk fan interference ala Jeffrey Mayer maybe once a year but it's often the difference between 3 runs and no runs. I hate that our park has become the premier launching pad in the game. Does this bother anyone else? Too many cheapies are flyin out.I couldn't agree more, I miss the days of having a pitchers park.

DVsoxfan
08-02-2004, 08:00 PM
No way this happens. Even if it does, after a half of a season we'll start complaining that we aren't hitting enough home runs and that the fences need to be moved back in. Maybe we can move them back on a trial basis...

Brian26
08-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Well, if any tinkering is going to be done, it will have to wait until next year. MLB has pretty strict rules about changing outfield dimensions during the season.

:veeck

"Not before I had my fun with those bastards!"

batmanZoSo
08-02-2004, 08:14 PM
Wont ever happen. USCF is very short behind Home plate for one, and Jerry added the bullpen and people pay money to sit field lievel in LF. This is a new age where they bow to the casual fan who wants to see HR'S weather it's a real HR or not. I remember when there werent many parks that had cheap HR opportunities.
It is not short behind home plate. There's plenty of room to move the plate back and all you'd really need is a few feet anyway. Then you draw back the gap fences a few more and you have a real park. It should be about 378 in the gaps and 405 in center, not 371 and 400. Especially now that the ball carries better with the new roof.

You don't have to take away a seat in this process. For starters, the bullpen fences are free standing, they can be made into a zig-zag if you wanted them to. All you do is dig up the posts and slide it over. As for the gaps, all I said they should do is lose the 3-4 foot flat top they have connecting the fence to the first row.

I remember in 02 I believe they moved the plate back like ten feet in Baltimore but moved it right back after one season. That place makes ours look like Yankee Stadium before the 70s renovations.

I also hated that they put up that stupid chain link fence in left field at Detroit. My god that thing is like where the left fielder used to stand, it's way inward. That was the best thing about that park and they took it away. I always loved watching the sox play there because whenever there was a hard hit fly ball in left or especially center you knew it wasn't going out. In fact you rarely see anyone touch the track in center. Anything hit to the wall there is a triple candidate. You gotta love that. Compared to Oakland's 367 gaps!!! I could get jammed and hit it outta there. That place used to be the toughest place to go deep. And ours was always moderate, fair both sides. Now it's a joke.

doublem23
08-02-2004, 08:27 PM
No way this happens. Even if it does, after a half of a season we'll start complaining that we aren't hitting enough home runs and that the fences need to be moved back in. Maybe we can move them back on a trial basis...
I say we move them on the basis of who we're facing. If it's a flyball pitcher, move 'em in a few feet and throw some lawnchairs out there. If the Sox have a fly ball pitcher on the mound, bump 'em back. Hey, maybe we could even move them between innnings.

Hey, if the Twins cheat, it's only fair game, right?

FightingBillini
08-02-2004, 08:43 PM
Wont ever happen. USCF is very short behind Home plate for one, and Jerry added the bullpen and people pay money to sit field lievel in LF. This is a new age where they bow to the casual fan who wants to see HR'S weather it's a real HR or not. I remember when there werent many parks that had cheap HR opportunities.
The distance from home to the backstop is 60 ft, very average. I believe the shortest distance in any park is 50ft. They couldnt possibly move the plate back becuase the park is built specifically around that spot of home plate. If the plate was moved back, you wouldnt be able to see it from parts of the upper deck behind home. If anything, we should move the plate forward around 10 feet, and create a new outfield wall, tearing down several seats in the first few rows. That would enable us to reduce the steepness of the upper deck. The upper deck is so steep now becuase its so high in the air, and the sightline from the back row has to be unobstructed to home plate.
As for the power alleys, they were reduced by around 12' when the fences were moved in, but the distance markers were moved several feet towards center on both sides.

OEO Magglio
08-02-2004, 08:49 PM
The distance from home to the backstop is 60 ft, very average. I believe the shortest distance in any park is 50ft. They couldnt possibly move the plate back becuase the park is built specifically around that spot of home plate. If the plate was moved back, you wouldnt be able to see it from parts of the upper deck behind home. If anything, we should move the plate forward around 10 feet, and create a new outfield wall, tearing down several seats in the first few rows. That would enable us to reduce the steepness of the upper deck. The upper deck is so steep now becuase its so high in the air, and the sightline from the back row has to be unobstructed to home plate.
As for the power alleys, they were reduced by around 12' when the fences were moved in, but the distance markers were moved several feet towards center on both sides.Regarding the upperdeck, I was up there for the first time a couple weeks back and I didn't think it was steep at all, the upperdeck in yankee stadium is 10 times steeper.

HomeFish
08-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Well, if any tinkering is going to be done, it will have to wait until next year. MLB has pretty strict rules about changing outfield dimensions during the season.

Because of us, actually.

batmanZoSo
08-02-2004, 09:08 PM
As for the power alleys, they were reduced by around 12' when the fences were moved in, but the distance markers were moved several feet towards center on both sides.
I absolutely love the upper deck now. That roof is magical. It really doesn't seem as steep as it used to. Not at all in my view actually.

gobears1987
08-02-2004, 09:09 PM
The reason for this increase in HRs is not due to the dimensions, but rather the knocking down of the UD. The rows removed caused a change in the wind flow and thus more balls are flying out

mjmcend
08-02-2004, 09:14 PM
The reason for this increase in HRs is not due to the dimensions, but rather the knocking down of the UD. The rows removed caused a change in the wind flow and thus more balls are flying out
It has to do with both. First the change in dimensions led to more homeruns and then this year with the smaller upper deck and the roof led to even more. The point was to do something to cut down on the number of homeruns and since adding rows to the upperdeck is not an option, changing the dimensions again is all that is left.

Nick@Nite
08-02-2004, 09:28 PM
:weewillie
"If there moved in, I'll be a 5 tool player"

HITMEN OF 77
08-02-2004, 09:41 PM
:weewillie
"If there moved in, I'll be a 5 tool player"
LOL....That means every day will be a special Willie Harris day at the ball park.

:DJ "Contact Martha Black for more information"

A. Cavatica
08-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Move back the fences in the top half of each inning, move them in for the bottom half. Or just get some big fans.

Parrothead
08-02-2004, 09:54 PM
I am for moving the fences back some also. I miss the big parks too. But I don't think it can be done everywhere, i.e. the bullpens but they could do it in the other areas....left center, center and right center.:wink:

misty60481
08-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Wait until big Frank gets #500, I remember old Comiskey before they put in fence for bull pen it was 440 to dead center with about a 15 foot wall I think only 4 or 5 ever hit one out there.

Parrothead
08-02-2004, 09:59 PM
I say we move them on the basis of who we're facing. If it's a flyball pitcher, move 'em in a few feet and throw some lawnchairs out there. If the Sox have a fly ball pitcher on the mound, bump 'em back. Hey, maybe we could even move them between innnings.

Hey, if the Twins cheat, it's only fair game, right?
Bill Veeck did it when he owned the Sox.....Keep the tradition alive !:redneck

Parrothead
08-02-2004, 10:04 PM
Wait until big Frank gets #500, I remember old Comiskey before they put in fence for bull pen it was 440 to dead center with about a 15 foot wall I think only 4 or 5 ever hit one out there.
The wall was 25 feet and only 7 people hit a homer to the bleachers. That park was great. Of course, I like the triple. In there even Paulie could hit a triple.:worship:

skobabe8
08-03-2004, 02:18 AM
I've thought about this every time I've gone to the ballpark this year. I dont like the gap between the outfield wall and the first row of seats. Moving the wall back flush against the stands might cause a problem with fan interference. St. Louis has flowers in between the front row and the wall. This may work. I would just like to see some permanent looking solution out there. The wall looks "temporary", like they put it up and take it down every year.

As long as I'm being so picky, I'm gonna throw this out there too. For some reason, I dont know why, but the warning track dirt bugs me. Its too light in color, and looks like gravel. If it was the same color/consistency of the infield dirt or darker it would look better.

I'm done.:tongue:

HomerCoach
08-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Maybe we can use our "dimensions" to lure a big-time slugger like Jerry Hairston or Dave Roberts as a free agent singning...for the league minimum of course.:redneck

PorkChopExpress
08-03-2004, 08:24 AM
I've thought about this every time I've gone to the ballpark this year. I dont like the gap between the outfield wall and the first row of seats. Moving the wall back flush against the stands might cause a problem with fan interference. St. Louis has flowers in between the front row and the wall. This may work. I would just like to see some permanent looking solution out there. The wall looks "temporary", like they put it up and take it down every year.

As long as I'm being so picky, I'm gonna throw this out there too. For some reason, I dont know why, but the warning track dirt bugs me. Its too light in color, and looks like gravel. If it was the same color/consistency of the infield dirt or darker it would look better.

I'm done.:tongue:
My understanding of the gap was not so much to prevent fan "interference" but to prevent fans from entering the field. We had a little bit of a problem with that last year, and we had to do something that looked like we were trying to stop it. So unless we add a basket ala Wrigley, I don't see us moving the walls flush with the stands. But what do I know?

FightingBillini
08-03-2004, 10:22 AM
I have been thinking that for a long time. If you look at all the new parks, the warning track is a lotter darker and redder. It just looks better.

Hangar18
08-03-2004, 10:25 AM
my cubfan cousin tried to Regurgitate this fact to me, but I had to set him straight. The facts are ...
1: the SOX CAN HIT, and have some power guys on the team.
2: MLB has done something with the ball, giving it more life
3: MLB has foolishly expanded by 4 teams too many, putting too many teams
with bad pitching around
4: The Sox Pitching staff hasnt been that great the last few years, save for a season or two.

Add all of this up, and you got yourself Comiskey leading with homers hit

Hangar18
08-03-2004, 10:31 AM
I have been thinking that for a long time. If you look at all the new parks, the warning track is a lotter darker and redder. It just looks better.
That track is called Tartan Track, its not real dirt .... but brownish styrofoam type material.

skobabe8
08-03-2004, 02:50 PM
my cubfan cousin tried to Regurgitate this fact to me, but I had to set him straight. The facts are ...
1: the SOX CAN HIT, and have some power guys on the team.
2: MLB has done something with the ball, giving it more life
3: MLB has foolishly expanded by 4 teams too many, putting too many teams
with bad pitching around
4: The Sox Pitching staff hasnt been that great the last few years, save for a season or two.

Add all of this up, and you got yourself Comiskey leading with homers hit

Except numbers 2 and 3 apply to everyone. So it has no bearing on why balls are jumping out of our place specifically.

FightingBillini
08-03-2004, 03:01 PM
That track is called Tartan Track, its not real dirt .... but brownish styrofoam type material.
Does it play any differently than normal dirt? If there is no difference, we should install it next year. I think it looks a lot better.

Foulke29
08-03-2004, 03:17 PM
I've got it. Let's move them back only when power hitting teams come to town.

samram
08-03-2004, 03:28 PM
The fences are fine with me. The Sox just need to build a team for the park More ground ball pitchers. That is what Garland is, but when he's off his game, he throws fly balls. That is why the Sox have so many home run hitters. They play for the home field advantage.
Well, the idea behind the ELo- Contreras trade was to bring in someone who has groundball pitches (like a splitter) and to get rid of a guy who gave up a ton of homers. Buehrle, Garica, Contreras, Garland are all guys who can get a lot of grounders, as is Shingo. With all of the other renovations going on, I'm not sure the Sox want to do a whole lot to the field itself.