PDA

View Full Version : Sox Catchers by the Numbers- Post-Olivo

kjhanson
08-02-2004, 07:08 PM
In 29 games since the Olivo trade, Sox catchers (Burke, Alomar Jr, Davis) are a combined 22 for 91 (.241) with two home runs and nine rbi. Over a 162 game season, those numbers project to .241 11 50. Meager numbers at best.

However, if we take out Sandy Alomar and his 4 worthless hits in ten of those games, we're hitting .305 with still two home runs and 7 rbi (In 19 games). Over 162 games: .305 17 60. Power numbers are still down, but the average has been fantastic.

I think what this tells us is that we should rid ourselves of all former Indians players over age 35 (Mike Jackson and Alomar Jr).

The catching situation is not as bleak as some may believe it is. Kendall would provide us with a leadoff hitter, but what can he do that Aaron Rowand can't?

Aaron: .365 OBP (.416 since starting) 12/13 steals (hitting .283 off righties)
Kendall: .391 OBP 8/15 steals (hitting .311 off righties)

What we really need is a 2B that can leadoff. Then we can utilize Aaron's power in the 2-spot and let the guys behind them rake. All this talk of missing out on Kendall is worthless; he wouldn't be as big of a help as some originally perceived.

DVsoxfan
08-02-2004, 07:32 PM
The catching situation is not as bleak as some may believe it is....All this talk of missing out on Kendall is worthless

Burke has suprised me both offensively and defensively. Ben Davis had a great day yesterday with the bat and should do an adequate job when called upon. Sandy is old, can't hit, and can't throw out runners. Its time for him to retire at the season's end. Would Kendall have been nice? Yes, but I'm happy with what we have. Who knows, maybe all Ben Davis needed was a change of scenery. All of this said, I still think we will regret getting rid of Olivo in the future. But I do love Freddy.

Evman5
08-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Burke has suprised me both offensively and defensively. Ben Davis had a great day yesterday with the bat and should do an adequate job when called upon. Sandy is old, can't hit, and can't throw out runners. Its time for him to retire at the season's end. Would Kendall have been nice? Yes, but I'm happy with what we have. Who knows, maybe all Ben Davis needed was a change of scenery. All of this said, I still think we will regret getting rid of Olivo in the future. But I do love Freddy.
Sandy's contribution to this team goes beyond the numbers. I bet if you asked Buehrle to name major factors in his success he would tell you Alomar has been a big part. I also have heard that he calls games from the dugout, however I am not sure if this was only for Olivo or if he still does it every day. That being said I would like to see Sandy retire after this year and become a coach on this team.

DickAllen72
08-02-2004, 09:55 PM
What we really need is a 2B that can leadoff. Then we can utilize Aaron's power in the 2-spot and let the guys behind them rake.

How about replacing Sandy with Robbie?

MRKARNO
08-02-2004, 09:56 PM
No team should depend on its catchers for offense. The problem isnt that the catchers havent been hitting since Olivo's departure, it's that Thomas and Maggs havent been around

batmanZoSo
08-02-2004, 10:11 PM
In 29 games since the Olivo trade, Sox catchers (Burke, Alomar Jr, Davis) are a combined 22 for 91 (.241) with two home runs and nine rbi. Over a 162 game season, those numbers project to .241 11 50. Meager numbers at best.

However, if we take out Sandy Alomar and his 4 worthless hits in ten of those games, we're hitting .305 with still two home runs and 7 rbi (In 19 games). Over 162 games: .305 17 60. Power numbers are still down, but the average has been fantastic.

I think what this tells us is that we should rid ourselves of all former Indians players over age 35 (Mike Jackson and Alomar Jr).

The catching situation is not as bleak as some may believe it is. Kendall would provide us with a leadoff hitter, but what can he do that Aaron Rowand can't?

Aaron: .365 OBP (.416 since starting) 12/13 steals (hitting .283 off righties)
Kendall: .391 OBP 8/15 steals (hitting .311 off righties)

What we really need is a 2B that can leadoff. Then we can utilize Aaron's power in the 2-spot and let the guys behind them rake. All this talk of missing out on Kendall is worthless; he wouldn't be as big of a help as some originally perceived.
Kendall wouldn't be replacing Rowand, just in the lineup. I don't know what he makes but if it's more than 5 million then no. He's got no power and doesn't steal very well.

mjmcend
08-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Kendall wouldn't be replacing Rowand, just in the lineup. I don't know what he makes but if it's more than 5 million then no. He's got no power and doesn't steal very well. 2004: $8.0M
2005: $10.0M
2006: $11.0M
2007: $13.0M

I agree with you. He is would be a very welcome addition, but not at this ridiculous price. If we had the Yankees money than sure, why not, but with our payroll what it is he is not worth it.

OG4LIFE
08-02-2004, 10:20 PM
lets not forget that these guys are rotated in an out to be put in matchups where they are supposed to succeed- ie hitting burke against lefty pitchers, etc

OEO Magglio
08-02-2004, 10:22 PM
Kendall wouldn't be replacing Rowand, just in the lineup. I don't know what he makes but if it's more than 5 million then no. He's got no power and doesn't steal very well.I agree with you about kendall being to pricey but who cares about power if we'd have a .390 obp guy that can run and doesn't swing for the fences, in that sense forget power.