PDA

View Full Version : Schoeneweis to the Yankees

Brian26
08-02-2004, 05:23 PM
On Saturday afternoon during the whirlwind of trade talk before 3pm, at one point there was a rumor that both Loaiza AND Schoeneweis were heading to New York. I wonder who else, besides Contreras, we were going to possibly get?

dickallen15
08-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Scott Proctor. The Yankees took that part of the deal off the table, because they thought Schoenweiss would be a malcontent in their bullpen.

wdelaney72
08-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Yeah, going to the World Series would have been a real problem for Scott.It's a good thing that didn't happen. Getting rid of 2 starting pitchers would have made this deal seem much more like a white flag trade.

Brian26
08-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Yeah, going to the World Series would have been a real problem for Scott.It's a good thing that didn't happen. Getting rid of 2 starting pitchers would have made this deal seem much more like a white flag trade.

Exactly. Losing 2/5 of the starting rotation, no matter how badly they are slumping, brings up too many bad memories.

dickallen15
08-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Yeah, going to the World Series would have been a real problem for Scott.It's a good thing that didn't happen. Getting rid of 2 starting pitchers would have made this deal seem much more like a white flag trade.]

The Yankees thought it would. Schoenweiss is a whiner, even Ozzie says so. Shoey has stated he is a starter, and would be very unhappy if he was moved to the bullpen. The Yankees didn't want the potential trouble, because he would have been in their bullpen. This was the explanation both Stark and Gammons gave on ESPN or ESPNNews, I can't remember which I was watching at the time.

Erik The Red
08-02-2004, 05:39 PM
How much is left on Schoeny's contract? We should just release him at year's end. When you're 6-8 with a 4.79 ERA, you're not afforded the luxury of whining about your status as a starter.

dickallen15
08-02-2004, 05:42 PM
How much is left on Schoeny's contract? We should just release him at year's end. When you're 6-8 with a 4.79 ERA, you're not afforded the luxury of whining about your status as a starter.I think he is arbitration eligible again. He is not signed for next season. Unless he really comes on, he's a lock not to return.

Tekijawa
08-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Exactly. Losing 2/5 of the starting rotation, no matter how badly they are slumping, brings up too many bad memories.
I think it would have been more along the lines of 2/15ths of the rotation.

Erik The Red
08-02-2004, 05:48 PM
I think it would have been more along the lines of 2/15ths of the rotation. Since when are the Sox operating on a 15-man starting rotation?

Fungo
08-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Exactly. Losing 2/5 of the starting rotation, no matter how badly they are slumping, brings up too many bad memories.Actually, I'd rather have Diaz as the fifth instead of Schoeneweis.

Garcia
Buehrle
Contreras
Garland
Diaz

Hangar18
08-02-2004, 06:00 PM
On Saturday afternoon during the whirlwind of trade talk before 3pm, at one point there was a rumor that both Loaiza AND Schoeneweis were heading to New York. I wonder who else, besides Contreras, we were going to possibly get?
The Yanks were trying to give us Shane Spencer ........ but KW caught on
that he wasnt even on their team any more and it fell thru .......

habibharu
08-02-2004, 06:49 PM
you guys are nuts if you think that giving the yanks scho. and getting proctor is a bad deal! scho blows and hes gone at the end of the year anyway! proctor is a young kid with a good arm who could of helped in the pen and probably even become a starter next year