PDA

View Full Version : a good idea why Este was tabbed for the Allstar team

petekat
08-02-2004, 05:19 PM
pretty much confirms what many of us on this board suspected, Torre and Stollemyre used the selection as an opportunity to butter him up and recruit him. Sounds scary, almost like Amway- will need to look it up- but wonder if Giambi's selection to the team years ago over Thomas when he was still with the A's was part of a similar ploy

chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0408020091aug02,1,1517682.story?coll=cs-sports-print

Flight #24
08-02-2004, 05:22 PM
pretty much confirms what many of us on this board suspected, Torre and Stollemyre used the selection as an opportunity to butter him up and recruit him. Sounds scary, almost like Amway- will need to look it up- but wonder if Giambi's selection to the team years ago over Thomas when he was still with the A's was part of a similar ploy

chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0408020091aug02,1,1517682.story?coll=cs-sports-print

Ummm....isn't that tampering? I'd love to hear more about what exactly Joe spoke to ELo about because if he talked about him coming to NY as an FA while he was under contract with another team, we're due some kind of compensation from the Spankees.

mantis1212
08-02-2004, 05:26 PM

I don't buy it. If anything, it increased his trade value slightly. Torre just didn't know what the hell is going on, that's all.

mymanmaggs30
08-02-2004, 11:37 PM
yea it was probably for joe torre and his benefit! jerk!!!:rolleyes:

doublem23
08-02-2004, 11:39 PM
So... they purposely overvalued Loaiza? Damn!

balke
08-02-2004, 11:57 PM
I think it was during an ESPN broadcast game that they mentioned Loaiza was throwing his 94 mile-an-hour splitter at the All-star game. Maybe he knew he was going next season, and just took it a little bit easier on his arm during sox starts.

Also, I heard he'd been shopped around for a while. And it's gotta hurt that he was the #2 starter behind Buerhle coming into the season after a stellar year.

I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see him start throwing 94 more consistantly for the yanks. Maybe he just felt jipped here after a good season.

doublem23
08-03-2004, 12:01 AM
Maybe he just felt jipped here after a good season.
I sincerely doubt that's true, but if it is, then he's a real scumbag. We were on the only team that even bothered to give him a chance last year and then he feels gipped?

Again, I doubt it.

sean
08-03-2004, 02:40 AM
Also, I heard he'd been shopped around for a while. And it's gotta hurt that he was the #2 starter behind Buerhle coming into the season after a stellar year.

I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see him start throwing 94 more consistantly for the yanks. Maybe he just felt jipped here after a good season.I might be wrong here, but didn't he say that he liked the idea of being the #2 because it gave him the home opener?

fusillirob1983
08-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Didn't Loaiza also say something along the lines of Buerhle deserving to start the first game of the season.

Foulke You
08-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Didn't Loaiza also say something along the lines of Buerhle deserving to start the first game of the season.
Buehrle gave up his final start of the season in 2003 so Loaiza could get a shot at win #21 and tie the record for wins from a Mexican born pitcher set by Fernando Valenzuela. Loaiza returned the favor by letting Buehrle start the home opener in 2004 which also allowed Buehrle to finally get his chance to pitch at Yankee Stadium in his second start.

balke
08-03-2004, 11:37 PM
So much conspiracy talk, I couldn't help but contribute the 2nd starter theory, heh. I'm still going to keep one eye on that radar gun the rest of the season. The fact that KW had shopped Este around for about at least the past 3 weeks, and Loaiza's era being around 9 the past 3 weeks are truths.