PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Harrelson on the Score right now.

cheeses_h_rice
08-02-2004, 03:34 PM
And he is STILL harping on the Torii Hunter collision at the plate and bemoaning how that one play has played a huge role in taking away their swagger.

Memo to Hawk: GET. OVER. IT. And tell the team to win some of these ****ing 1-run games while you're at it.

:rolleyes:

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Did Torii Hunter walk in the winning runs on Friday and Saturday? Just wondering. Did Torii Huner fail to get the winning run/tying run from third against Minnesota last Wed. and Det. on Friday (cough, cough, Borchard).

I am sure Marte, and Politte were thinking about Torii during their windup on those full counts. And Borchard when there was two strikes on him. They thought to themselves "I lost my swagger after that collision."

BeerHandle
08-02-2004, 03:54 PM
And he is STILL harping on the Torii Hunter collision at the plate and bemoaning how that one play has played a huge role in taking away their swagger.

Memo to Hawk: GET. OVER. IT. And tell the team to win some of these ****ing 1-run games while you're at it.

:rolleyes:
I agree that Hunter's play sent a message and we lost our momentum. We need to right the ship immediately. We are not playing with any intensity.

Wanne
08-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Well...it's hard to argue that it wasn't a major factor since it's been all downhill since. Alot of people point to a few years ago to the brawl with the Tigers that got the Sox going...and I think it's a fair accessment. This got the Twins going...kind of made the Sox shrivel up a little. I still think he shoulda been drilled just to send a message back. Instead...Ozzie compliments their division rivals thus building their confidence and possibly placing the seed of doubt in his own team. I think Hawk is right.

Brian26
08-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Momentum has so much to do with winning in sports. I don't think Hawk is out of line at all, and I actually agree with him.

:hawk

"It's all about the 'mindset'."

nitetrain8601
08-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Hawk is wrong. Ozzie congradulated the Twins because they showed heart. They showed they care. When Ozzie asked Mike Jackson to plunk Torii, what happened?? He didn't. That falls on his players. The Twins got up for the series. Hawk shouldn't rant about that. He should rant about no retaliation and no fire shown.

MushMouth
08-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Momentum has so much to do with winning in sports. I don't think Hawk is out of line at all, and I actually agree with him.

Count me in this camp as well - that collision and subsequent non-reaction changed the course of our season.

Brian26
08-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Hawk is wrong. Ozzie congradulated the Twins because they showed heart. They showed they care. When Ozzie asked Mike Jackson to plunk Torii, what happened?? He didn't. That falls on his players. The Twins got up for the series. Hawk shouldn't rant about that. He should rant about no retaliation and no fire shown.

Do we know for a fact that Ozzie asked MJ to nail Hunter? If he did, and MJ denied him, MJ should be off the team right now.

nitetrain8601
08-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Do we know for a fact that Ozzie asked MJ to nail Hunter? If he did, and MJ denied him, MJ should be off the team right now.
That's what's been said through the grapevine. MJ said it wasn't smart because there was a runner on board or something like that and he thought the sox had a chance

ja1022
08-02-2004, 04:17 PM
I'm an Ozzie fan from way back, and although skeptical when they hired him, I've been hoping he'd be successful and become a fixture around here. That being said, I think he lost some of the team over that Hunter situation. I agree that it wasn't as dirty as it was "hard nosed", and if it had been one of our guys leveling their catcher the same way we'd call it good, agressive baseball, or maybe "Ozzie-ball". But I still believe that somewhere in that series, there had to be some sort of retaliation, as much for the White Sox as the Twins. I didn't hear the interview, but if Hawk called it "losing their swagger" I'd call that accurate. I think Ozzie will get this team back and hopefully he'll send some sort of message too the Twins next time around.

DMarte708
08-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Momentum has so much to do with winning in sports. I don't think Hawk is out of line at all, and I actually agree with him..Absolutely correct. Is it merely coicidence our team began a slump immediately following Hunter's play at the plate?

"Lemme tell you somethin' Mike. Our team.......without question.... has lost its swagger. Back in my day, if Hunter would have done that no one would have said one word. The next game, Torii would have found a fastball inplanted in his earhole."

TornLabrum
08-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Well...it's hard to argue that it wasn't a major factor since it's been all downhill since. Alot of people point to a few years ago to the brawl with the Tigers that got the Sox going...and I think it's a fair accessment. This got the Twins going...kind of made the Sox shrivel up a little. I still think he shoulda been drilled just to send a message back. Instead...Ozzie compliments their division rivals thus building their confidence and possibly placing the seed of doubt in his own team. I think Hawk is right.
I know exactly what Ozzie was trying to do. He said, "That's the way the game is played." He also said, "That's the way I want our team to play."

The problem is that these mopes didn't get it, as did very few of the people commenting on what he said.

Brian26
08-02-2004, 04:19 PM
That's what's been said through the grapevine. MJ said it wasn't smart because there was a runner on board or something like that and he thought the sox had a chance

MJ's not the ****ing manager, and it's not his decision whether or not its a smart move. MJ's a ****ing employee and needs to do what's asked. This clown should be sent packing.

Wanne
08-02-2004, 04:20 PM

I think that's what he's ranting about dude...

Wanne
08-02-2004, 04:22 PM
I know exactly what Ozzie was trying to do. He said, "That's the way the game is played." He also said, "That's the way I want our team to play."

The problem is that these mopes didn't get it, as did very few of the people commenting on what he said.

Well...I didn't see or hear what Ozzie's reaction was in the dugout...but it was an opportune time to fire his team up...and he didn't.

JB98
08-02-2004, 04:22 PM
I agree with you. It was absolutely ridiculous for Ozzie to compliment the Twins in the papers. I don't care if Ozzie thought the play was "good, clean baseball." In that situation, you don't defend the opposition. You stick up for your players, even if they don't deserve to be stuck up for. That was Ozzie's biggest mistake of the season, and it was a big one.

TomParrish79
08-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Thats exactly what sent us into that 7 game losing streak.

Hunter plowing over Burke sent shockwaves through the sox.

Nard
08-02-2004, 04:24 PM
OZZIE DID NOT TELL MJ TO PLUNK TORII.

Ozzie's been quoting publicly as saying he doesn't like the whole beanball game.

He definitely should've been plunked, but don't blame MJ.

nitetrain8601
08-02-2004, 04:25 PM
MJ's not the ****ing manager, and it's not his decision whether or not its a smart move. MJ's a ****ing employee and needs to do what's asked. This clown should be sent packing.
I believe so myself.

Blob
08-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Ozzie said NO ONE gets plunked!! He said if you want to get even WIN!! He specifically told his players not to hit him.

Here is the link
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040727&content_id=811772&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp

"We aren't going to hit anyone because I don't like to play that game."

SoxxoS
08-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Thats exactly what sent us into that 7 game losing streak.

Hunter plowing over Burke sent shockwaves through the sox.
I heard that Ordonez and Thomas guy are pretty good ballplayers. Borchard not getting that guy in on 3rd in the bottom of the 9th (two game swing, by the way) didn't matter either. It's all b/c of that damn collision. Baseball isn't a game of streaks, so that wouldn't matter either.

GET OVER IT.

Brian26
08-02-2004, 04:27 PM
OZZIE DID NOT TELL MJ TO PLUNK TORII.

Ozzie's been quoting publicly as saying he doesn't like the whole beanball game.

He definitely should've been plunked, but don't blame MJ.

I'm saying *IF* MJ was told to do it and he refused, he should be gone. Nobody should have to tell these guys to stick up for their teammates, but if he was told point-blank and still didn't do it, he should be out of there.

dickallen15
08-02-2004, 04:32 PM
The players don't need Ozzie to tell them to knock someone down. The fact that there was no retaliation that game, or any subsequent games was revealing to me. I took it as a White Sox surrender. No matter what you think of the play, clean or dirty, a guy went out of his way and gave one of your teammates a concussion. Some form of retaliation has to occur. The fact that Hunter could be comfortable in the batter's box the rest of the series, even comfortable enough to hit a homerun, speaks volumes. At the very least, it should have been in the back of his mind that his ribcage was going to get pounded. The Sox handled the whole situation like Jerry Manuel would have handled it, and the results are the same. White Sox get owned by the Twins.

Brian26
08-02-2004, 04:37 PM
The players don't need Ozzie to tell them to knock someone down. The fact that there was no retaliation that game, or any subsequent games was revealing to me. I took it as a White Sox surrender. No matter what you think of the play, clean or dirty, a guy went out of his way and gave one of your teammates a concussion. Some form of retaliation has to occur. The fact that Hunter could be comfortable in the batter's box the rest of the series, even comfortable enough to hit a homerun, speaks volumes. At the very least, it should have been in the back of his mind that his ribcage was going to get pounded. The Sox handled the whole situation like Jerry Manuel would have handled it, and the results are the same. White Sox get owned by the Twins.

Yep. Agreed 100%. It's sad, really. I can guarantee that Buehrle would have nailed someone if he was scheduled to pitch again.

thepaulbowski
08-02-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm saying *IF* MJ was told to do it and he refused, he should be gone. Nobody should have to tell these guys to stick up for their teammates, but if he was told point-blank and still didn't do it, he should be out of there.There was an article in the Sun Times yesterday by Sutcliff commenting on how Maddux has always been a team player. During his early stay with the Cubs he was told if he didn't win the game he would be sent down. Early in the game (before Maddux could be eligible for the win) Durham got hit in the face with a pitch. Maddux hit a guy in retaliation and get sent down (despite being told he didn't have to retaliatie by teamates.) Despite that fact it's about the Cubs, there is a very good lesson in that story.....

KingXerxes
08-02-2004, 04:51 PM
Did anybody ask him about the last time he was on the Score and was touting Willie Harris like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and that the only problem Willie Harris has had throughout his career was that Jerry Manuel was always making him bunt? Or does nobody hold this old fart accountable for any statements he makes anymore?

"Fisk did TOO want to play leftfield."

ChiSoxJack
08-02-2004, 04:55 PM
The Sox handled the whole situation like Jerry Manuel would have handled it, and the results are the same. White Sox get owned by the Twins.

I believe under Manual they would hit back. Remember against the Tigers in 2000?

dickallen15
08-02-2004, 05:06 PM
I believe under Manual they would hit back. Remember against the Tigers in 2000?That wasn't ordered by Manuel. Parque wasn't a very good pitcher, but he was a little pit bull, and didn't put up with crap from anyone, let alone the Detroit Tigers.

OurBitchinMinny
08-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Hawk's schtick is getting old. I dont know if its DJ who has brought him down, but he is not as enjoyable to listen to anymore

Gimm
08-02-2004, 05:24 PM
. When Ozzie asked Mike Jackson to plunk Torii, what happened?? He didn't. .**** that.

Cliff Politte should be the one giving Hunter a mild concussion, not the soft-tossing wonder Jackson.

I loved how Paul Konerko took the high road and did not try to tear I-Rod's arm off with his spikes or smash him on the run, getting the elbow/knee in between the pads in the process......after Higginson's throw beat him to the plate - and mind you, I-Rod was blocking the plate while Burke was clearly giving Hunter the lane.

Walnuts is not a punk. Torri is. Punks suffer pain when their time comes.

pudge
08-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Hawk's schtick is getting old. I dont know if its DJ who has brought him down, but he is not as enjoyable to listen to anymore
Snore... go post this in the other hundreds of anti-Hawk threads.

Gimm
08-02-2004, 05:30 PM
He lost his dignity and has become way too bitter and angry this year.

Manuel, Beane, Mariotti....let it go, Hawk. It's not fun anymore.

And, Xerxes, Willie is far from a lost cause. Earlier in the year, he was completely outplaying Robbie Alomar circa 2003 in every facet of the game - as Hawk predicted during Soxfest. Then Ozzie started benching and/or jerking him around in the OF when he was still hitting in .310's. Now Willie's in a funk, but his OBP is still solid. He'll definately be a good player once he snaps out of it.

LASOXFAN
08-02-2004, 05:36 PM
is this true, that Ozzie asked jackson to retaliate?

SOXPHILE
08-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Haven't posted in a while, been too busy hitting myself in the head with a hammer, and sticking my feet on to hot coals to try and distract myself from the agony of that god awful losing streak. (SEVEN IN A ROW !!??:angry: ) Anyway, Hawk was interviewed on the Score today by North and Buffone, for a really long time. It was a pretty good segment. You could hear it in his voice he was just as frustrated and perplexed as the rest of us, kind of different than the Hawk who we all know that, at times, seems like more of a cheerleader than someone who would cast a critical eye, or say something bad about our White Sox. North did ask him some pointed questions about things like the Loaiza trade, Freddy Garcia, Joe Crede, etc. Hawk didn't seem to be pulling any punches in some of his answers either. He even shot down North on a point he was trying to make, but was totally wrong about, on the farm system. He kinda put him in his place. Pretty funny. Anyone else hear it ? :hawk "North, you don"t know a DAMN thing about sports, you blowhole !"

batmanZoSo
08-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Hunter's a major punk. The thing with the event is how he celebrated afterward. It's okay to plow a catcher but you put your head down, trot back to the dugout and accept a few high fives. This is the same guy who once whipped the ball right back at Danys Baez in 02. I don't care that he knocked Burke out, I just hate that he celebrated it and just hate his stupid ass in general and would throw at his head if given the opportunity. I was at the subsequent game and the crowd booed the crap out of him five times yet there was no retaliation. It's not about hurting him because he hurt our catcher it's just showing that you have some balls and if you wanna go, we're gonna go. I was thoroughly disappointed they didn't plunk him. Instead they plunked Koskie not once, not twice, but thrice.

If they'd have hit him, there would be a warning and some ooos in the crowd and he'd have probably said a few choice words from behind Gardenhires arm and it would've charged us up.